Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wormskull posted:

Just a couple days ago all the DLC was like 75-90% off.

Yeah I got all the EU4 DLCs I didn't have for like $10. Decided to play a game as the Ottomans. Wanting to do the mission 'Conquer the Levant', but unsure if I should wait for the Mamelukes to fall apart (if they will) or just go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DICKHEAD posted:

Just go for it. the Mamluks crumble really easily and once you take Damascus and a few other rich provinces in the Levant they don't really pose a threat if you're busy somewhere else

Cool. I'll give it a shot. I just finished eating most of Bosnia, Serbia, Wallachia and Moldavia, but I didn't full annex them because I didn't want the AE and I don't really understand the best way to vassal feed.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DICKHEAD posted:

i really like the ottoman position on the map but theyre too easy to play as. maybe i should finally do a byzantium game

Yeah. So far this is easier than Castile, Brandenburg, maybe even Russia due to naval power.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DICKHEAD posted:

oh here's a tip for mamluk killing. if you have the mission that gives you claims on all of mamluk provinces do not force them to release anything because it causes the mission to fail

Cheers. The war is going well, albeit with severely depleted manpower. I didn't know about Humanism, so thanks for that. I went Offensive first because I'm a filthy warmonger.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love EU3, EU4 and CK2, but I really couldn't get into V2. As you said it seems like there aren't a great deal of viable nations to play as and I've found that the AI moreso than any other Paradox game is really aggressive and will go out of its way to intervene in your wars and gently caress with you if it seems like you're challenging their power. Which is realistic, but it makes for a boring game where it's difficult to expand. I tried so many times to get a Sardinia-Piedmont game going but invariably no matter how much I buddied up to them France would end up invading me, or the Ottomans would intervene if I tried to expand anywhere in North Africa. Maybe I'm just bad at it.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Would people mind posting a few interesting starts for CK2 that I should check out? So far I've done the typical Ireland stuff, then reformed Roman Empire starting as Byz Count and I've done some viking stuff. Haven't touched republics or anything like thta.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks, all. Seeing the Hansa mentioned made me want to try the Hansa start in EU4 instead. Wonder how hard it is.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I don't have the India or Charlemange DLCs am I safe from the AI can't declare war fuckery, or is it the latest patch on all builds?

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm playing a Brandenburg game in EU4 and I'm loving the new AoW changes. Seems like the AI has been improved too. Poland was my ally for the first 30 years or so, until I fabricated a claim on Danzig and then they declared on the Teutonic Order before I could. Not to be deterred, I joined the war, then sieged enough provinces to take Danzig in a separate peace deal. Well that really pissed Poland off, and as soon as the war was over they cancelled our alliance and started fabricating claims on my other provinces, rather than just taking it up the rear end like they would in the past. They're now at hostile even though I've kept maxed relations with them the entire game and we have a RM, etc. I like that, it was too easy to cheese desirable provinces in the past.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DICKHEAD posted:

I really like that a lot. It also seems a lot easier to get out of a rivalry if you don't have clashing goals, recent wars, and both have a mutual enemy (if you build up a relations a bit and the rivalry is old enough anyway).

Yeah. And also being able to get people out of coalitions, so long as they're not your rival. Don't know if this was always the case but finding it a lot easier to reduce the size of coalitions caused by AE just by taking diplomatic ideas and buttering people up.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Average Bear posted:

As someone who works in the game industry (albeit on games totally unrelated to Paradox's forte) let me please remind some of you of the obvious:

if you're going to be a flaming dick to people they may decide not to hang out with you
if you're ok with them not hanging out with you that's cool
others may disagree as to the "ok with not hanging out" assessment
it's totally OK (and sometimes very valuable) to express issues with certain games
it is totally possible to do so without being a flaming dick

basically what I'm saying as a takeaway here: don't be a flaming dick
I mean, it's not like there is a flaming dick shortage. You don't have to heroically jump in and provide one. IT'S OK.

As a human being who knows how to relate to people without your sanctimonious bullshit, let me remind you that multiple people have politely, accurately explained their issues with various games to developers in the Games forum only to be insulted, derided, or even banned. Maybe the issue isn't with people being too aggressive but with developers being too thin-skinned and precious.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm playing the new expansion and got my first idea group as England in 1476 due to coring costs from mainland Europe provinces. I've made gains into Burgundy, France and Provence and have all the Irish provinces after diplo-annexing an Irish vassal I fed provinces. What first idea group would you recommend? I'm pretty sure I want to keep making gains on the continent in order to take France apart, but I'm unsure whether to go for Offensive, Defensive, Quality or Quantity. All have their draw points.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wouldn't take a military idea first up...unless you're far ahead in tech. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not far ahead, but I am ahead by 3 years and am a full level ahead of admin and 2 ahead of diplo. I seem to have chronic manpower shortages though, so I'm thinking Quantity might the best option, especially since it has synergy with Expansion for an extra colonist and I will want to colonise later once I've dealt with France. I might just grab the next military tech level then go for Quantity.

I like the idea of Diplomatic but my diplo tech is far behind and Austria is my best buddy, I somehow have 0 AE with them. I also have 0 AE with Castile, which is weird. Did they change something?

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the advice. Took Administrative next after Quantity, has helped a lot with my wars in contintental Europe. Just vassaled Scotland and have started releasing nations from France, who are finally under control.

The Palatinate inherited Burgundy and then became the Emperor and now rival Austria. Haven't seen buff Palatinate before.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gonna try this out later:

quote:

I know perhaps it is probably super late to say this as you are like a million episodes in already but I'm pretty sure the standard strategy for England now will have something to do with Releasing Normandy and or Guyenne as a vassal and designating one or both as a march. This would do a few things for England. Firstly it would decrease the amount of parliament seats England need in the early game allowing them to pass the first debate easier. Second it would effectively add about 20,000+ Manpower at Englands Indirect command and about 8-10 Regiments. Thirdly it would make it much more difficult for France to retake their cores as the increased Fort defence would make seiging the provinces costly while letting England avoid unnecessary War Exhaustion from those provinces being occupied. Fourthly it would reduce Englands Income from the English Channel Directly, but indirectly increase how much finance England has influence over as Guyenne would be able to eat a chunk of France's income in the bordeaux trade node aswell as embargoing them after the inevitable Rivalry. Fifthly it would give England more cores in France that could be a few decades down the road annexed after the blob has been dismantled by the vassal swarm. Alternatively you could feed your vassals all of your mainland holdings and force Scutage, which would allow you to take over the British Isles before turning around on France which would give you a bunch of raw money to make that process extremely easy. By enforcing Scutage on your mainlaneld Vassals you could declare war on France without having your vassals provinces being contested, leaving France with no way to retake the cores if you declared the war and end up losing. The are all just options but they are worth considering imo.

The only downside to the above is that taking an idea group that increases diplomatic relations is basically required, since it would only leave you 2 slots for alliances or vassals if you go the vassal route for Ireland and Scotland- That might leave you too weak though.

All of the above is possible because England doesn't start at war with France! :D
I fully plan on trying this new England playthrough and seeing how it goes! :)

Thanks for the videos Arumba!

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think that free colonist from having Expansion + Quantity is bugged. I filled out both decades ago and didn't get a bonus colonist.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BBJoey posted:

you need to activate the policy in the decisions menu

GODDAMNIT

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How do forts work. I just joined England's war against France as Castille and I couldn't really move around much because of forts blocking land movement. I took out some forts and could move again, but I couldn;t really tell which forts affected which provinces.

Each fort has a zone of control over certain provinces. There is an indicator on the provinces when you have an army selected if you can't move to that province due to it being with a fort's zone of control. If you siege a province and then move away from it without controlling the fort that has in its zone of control, the province will flip back to the enemy.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've currently got a Hansa game going which has been fairly intense so far. I've managed to connect my territories through conquest, since diplo-vassalisation didn't seem like an option. I'm in quite an interesting diplomatic situation in that initially I was allied with Denmark, Brandenburg and Austria, but then Austria got into a war with France, which prevented me from declaring on Brunswick for Stade, and then Verden when Brunswick was forced to release Verden. While waiting for the war with France to finish, Denmark declared on Verden to take Stade, and I was worried Denmark would poach Stade out from under me, so I peaced out with France, who forced me to annul treaties with Austria. I then tried to declare war on Verden, but wasn't able to immediately because I didn't have a diplomat handy, at which point Denmark called me to arms against Verden. So I dishonoured the alliance call, then declared a separate war on Verden, who Brandenburg was allied with, (still my ally at the time) which let me siege the province first and take it in peace, after Denmark (no longer my ally) helped me smash Verden and Brandenburg's armies. Now Denmark is pissed, so I've allied with Luneburg, Poland, Bavaria and Saxony and am currently working on getting France friendly enough to accept an alliance. What a mess.

I'm about to unlock my first idea and I'm really torn as to which way to go. I'm a full two levels ahead of everybody else around me in military tech, so I thought about going for either Defensive or Quality (to help protect against Denmark and whoever else) but I'm also doing quite well in diplomatic tech, so I was thinking Trade or Influence might be a good option as well. Trade obviously plays to Hansa's strengths, but Influence might help in future wars of conquest and dealing with their side effects. Then again, that may all be moot if I can't protect against Denmark (I'm hoping Sweden declares their war of independence soon) which brings me back to Defensive or Quality. Thoughts? Honestly stumped.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

Get diplomatic instead of influence if you aren't going to focus on vassal feeding. That said you absolutely should vassal feed in the New EU, since it's cheaper than coring again.

In my testing so far I've found a mix of the two is better, but I could be wrong. I also don't want to just pour all diplomatic points into vassal feeding since as Hansa I need diplomatic tech. But maybe I'll try Influence like you said.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

In my last Austria game where I focused on diplo-annexing everyone bigger than 3 provinces or so, I managed to stay fairly even on diplo tech the whole game. The average nation only costs 400-500 dip anyway, and if you have dip on national focus or a really good ruler you'll hardly notice you have a massive drain from the annex anyway.

I just tried what you suggested in my Hansa game and it didn't work. I took Luneberg as a vassal, who had no claims or cores on anything (is this where I made a mistake? In my France game I was able to sell provinces to vassals that they didn't have cores/claims on) and then annexed two province Brunswick, with the intention of selling the provinces to Luneberg. Well, Luneberg won't take them even for 0 gold and now of course Austria is going to demand unlawful territory. What am I missing?

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's been so long since I mucked around with this, but is it wrong culture? I know that HRE territories have a malus to being sold or something. shouldn't there be a tool tip with the reason why they won;t buy?

They have a -1000 malus because it's imperial territory and Austria is the emperor.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I guess what he means is force-vassalise HRE members and then diplo-annex them rather than annex then core with admin points, since that way you avoid the unlawful territory malus and the increased coring cost. But "vassal feeding" as such will only work if it's a country that has cores in another country you're planning to invade, otherwise they won't accept the province.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

That's what I meant. I didn't mean you should diplo-annex every single lovely county in the HRE, because that's insane. But say Munster annexes their neighbors and they are a respectable 6 or 7 provinces. You should vassalize them in a war and annex them later. Also, yeah, selling provinces is insanely, ridiculously weak now. The pro way is to transfer occupation to your vassal and then demand the provinces. They will be given to your vassal.

Ahhh. How do you transfer?

Also, Brandenburg just became the Emperor and now Luneberg would accept the province it wouldn't buy earlier, which I would do if I hadn't already cored it. So it appears they will accept imperial lands if the Emperor is deemed weak enough, or maybe it's because it's my core now and therefore it would not be illegal territyory.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I now have 3 vassals and kind of wish I went Diplomatic instead of Influence for the extra diplo slot, lol. Oh well, I can diplo-annex Luneberg soon.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Disco Infiva posted:

He needs Art of War tho.

I have Art of War, so it's all good. Only DLC I don't have is El Dorado but I'll grab it once it's on sale.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Further to what we were talking about the other day, it seems vassal feeding is well and truly alive. If you do the siege ownership transfer (as suggested by Larry, thanks Larry) you can transfer as many provinces as you want to your vassal, and what's more, the Emperor will NOT demand unlawful territory from them, which means not only do you get the full vassal benefit from the provinces, but when you diplo-annex you of course get a core without the unlawful territory malus. Good poo poo. And with Influence and Administrative ideas (which seem to be the best idea groups in DIP and ADM respectively, unless you're colonising) you can massively reduce the cost of diplo-annexation. You get -25% from Influence and then a further -20% from filling out Influence and Administrative.

Here's a screenshot of the current game. I thought I'd post it since it has interesting borders. Provence absolutely smashed France in their last war, Ottomans are reaching deep into Europe, Novgorod has destroyed Muscovy with Sweden's help and Sweden, as it seems to do in every game now, completely envelops Denmark and Norway. This actually hosed me over pretty hard since right as I got claims on Skane + Sjaelland and took the Sound Toll mission, Sweden invaded Denmark and sieged both provinces before I could get to them, which meant I had to cancel the mission and now it's not showing up again. gently caress you OP Sweden.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Brandenburg is my vassal in that screenshot but I'm running out of places to expand into since everyone near me is allied with either Austria, or Poland or Sweden, or a combination thereof. Sweden is allied with Novgorod, I was allied with Novgorod for a while but they broke the alliance. No idea how I'm gonna deal with Sweden.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

Build a bigger navy than England and invade Ireland with a no CB war. Then after your core that, you'll be able to fab claims on Scotland and Wales, so you can use those two as released vassals to feed them England and annex. That's usually what I do if I have nowhere to go in Northern Europe. If they have strong allies then I guess you could always take exploration ideas and go make a CN to pass the time for the alliance webs to break up a little.

25 years later and not only did Mecklenburg drop their alliance with Austria for some reason, (so I promptly vassaled them) but Cleves got released (so I vassaled them) and then Sweden went Protestant and lost their alliance with England AND Novgorod, both of whom are now allied to me. I just declared on Sweden and we destroyed them, got Skane + Sjalland, completed the Sound Toll mission. I'm the baddest motherfucker on the continent by now, but I have a huge coalition forming against me, so I gotta cool my jets for a little bit.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh we also sunk the entirety of the Swedish navy so their days as a superpower are over.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hansa game still going strong, although the game is pretty much over at this point. Sweden is allied with Austria and so at the end of every truce I declare on Sweden to take more land, while I slowly chip away at Austria's holdings in the Netherlands, which is taking forever due to their province cost. Utretcht is my vassal. Meanwhile I'm nibbling away at Norway, about to vassalise them. The Ottomans are still above me in score, they have won multiple wars against the Commonwealth and Austria, even both at the same time.

Not sure where I'm going to go with this play through next.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What happened with Russia?

Novgorod beat down Muscovy and formed Russia, but never bothered to finish Muscovy off. Is that what you mean?

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think I could've played way more aggro this game and gained a lot more territory sooner. I'm tempted to just finish this run and start a Papal States game and see just how hard I can go.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat, Papal States OP.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

They are the TO of Italy and always have been... You used to start out small enough to join the HRE, so you could then just swallow all of Italy and most people dont hate you because you are the Pope. One thing that sucks is that a center of reformation almost always spawns near you so you'll probably not be an actual Catholic nation for long.

You can still join the HRE by budding up to Austria, which you'll want to do anyway since they're of great help in conquering Aragon/Naples and the northern Italian states before the Shadow Kingdom event fires.

I'm sure someone out there has conquered more territory in less time, but there's no way I would have got this much without Austrian help. Just releasing Naples from Aragon takes 60 war score alone. And so far the Shadow Kingdom event hasn't fired.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Do the holy trinity achievement.

Yeah, that's what I'm going for. The Knights are allied with Venice who I'm planning to kill soon, so that's them covered. And I've already got a claim forged in Lika so I can pounce on Hungary and release Croatia at an opportune moment, they will be my springboard into the Ottomans and eventually, Jerusalem. Livonian Order and Teutonic Order will be trickier but I'll go for them once I've consolidated Italy.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I actually took quantity as my first idea in this TO game just because of how troublesome manpower is. Gonna take admin too because I use mercs and need core creation perk. I don't think I've ever taken quantity outside of the one time I played Muscovy.

I've been going Influence -> Administrative in pretty much every game where I'm going Wide and not colonising. I liked Quantity initially but I think you get a lot more done with higher military tech and a web of strong alliances that Influence helps you get/keep, to say nothing of the diplo-annex discounts and of course, the mercs.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As the Pope you get this regular event which is a choice between condemning slavery for 10 devotion and a relations hit with slavers or +1 stability. Slavery it is. As it should be.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Buff Pope. Got the first (easiest) March for the chieve, but managed to annul Livonian Order's alliance with Lithuania during the war, so they're next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao, just got massively hosed over. Declared war on Livonian Order, allied with Teutonic Order a few times so I could chip away at both of them and eventually vassalise. In latest war I could vassalise Livonian Order but not Teutonic Order, since they were still too big, but I noticed they would accept diplomatic vassalisation. End the war, send Teutons gifts, every diplomatic option possible to get 190 relations with them, was still 11 shy. Decide to sell them one of their provinces back thinking I might get the "returned core" modifier. Didn't. Consequently their economic base went up enough to the point they would no longer vassalise. Fast forward 5 years later, I get an event that gives me +60 relations with them, up to 200. Goddamnit. Now I have to declare at least one more (probably two) to vassalise them before I can go after Jerusalem.