Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ck2's tutorial sucks. hoi3's tutorial however is narrated by hitler, so it is good.

eu3's tutorial was never updated for any expansion pack and just crashed when you ran it. :sweden:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

I like CK2 but never played a Total War game. Is one of them particularly good?

rome is antiquated, rome 2 is a buggy pile of poo poo. medieval and shogun are the best. empire and napoleon suck because the combat model falls apart when you introduce too many firearms. it works with shogun because soldiers with rifles are incredibly expensive so there are very few of them unless you're the superior Shimazu who start with gun soldiers

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

is medieval 2 not good? I grabbed it a few weeks ago for a buck but haven't tried it yet

yes, medieval 2 is excellent. like all strategy games it was broken on release and fixed later on and there's probably a fan patch

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

shogun 2's tactical battles are the best especially the fort defenses when you get guys with firearms and cannons

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

formed HRE in 781, eat poo poo tribals and italians

the arab dude called me into war and died a week later which broke the song of roland event

also my waifu was the byzantine princess and they kept calling me into revolts every 6 months until i got a message saying byzantines are all iconoclast now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

most interesting ck2 game i've played was when the HRE conquered me and then i spent like 200 years building power as a vassal till i could take the empire over

in the old patch i had a game where i made a norse pagan empire spanning britain, scandinavia, northern russia, brittany, normandy, north germany, and poland by 1000 from an old gods start. the byzantines flipped to catholic at some point and the muslims conquered france so i played as the only orthodox ruler left in the world and ended up a moderately powerful orthodox duke after inciting a bunch of revolts with my awesome count so I could watch the AI break it up. then the patch hit so welp

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

oh, you switched over to that count? i always forget that you can do that and just play as one dynasty.

yeah the game was getting boring easymode and it was only 1000. i had a 120k army to call up and i had converted it almost entirely to norse germanic so i never had revolts. i also bred a godlike ruler with an incompetent heir so it would just explode.

i switched to the count when i saw he was like 15/15/15/15/15 with a 10/15/10/10/10 heir and was one of the only orthodox rulers anywhere.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

why are these saxons i conquered still tribes even though i'm charlemagne greatest king in history

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Anyway I started a game as Charlemagne and took all the Canon decisions until Karloman died and then I was over my vassal limit and couldn't be bothered sorting it out so I turned it off.

I was really confused by vassal limit until I figured out it was direct vassals and not realm size and half the duchies that make up the empire haven't been created in 770

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i got some raiders to spawn and in the middle of the raiding it said they were bored of not raiding and went home

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

why is ragnar lodbrok the slavic king of lithuania (which consist of half of sweden and the coast of lithuania)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

tribal ally AI is real dumb. they're all the same rank so they can't link up and just send in their 350-dude regiments one at a time against a 1500 stack.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

aaag tribes are hard cause your neighbors all declare war on you at the drop of a hat

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

OkieMurse posted:

Good let them come

yeah but the ai can get ai units to all form an orderly stack but i can't!!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

how do I get the ability to form Hungary from Magyar in Charlemagne anyway

you don't actually start in historical hungary since you've got a couple hundred years of migratin' to do

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh okay it simulates the hungarian migration by just auto-granting independence to everything east of the carpathians when you form it by decision

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DICKHEAD posted:

Abuse the Jews and Anti-Pope if you can. That's what I did. I also got 600 gold once from a mysterious source I still don't understand? Maybe a rich relative died lol

some tribal shamans are still rich as poo poo for some reason so when they kick it you get a bunch of gold

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

IS expelled Jews supposed to be permanent? My guy died and his kid still had it. I thought I could invite them back.

you can't welcome the jews back for 20 years after you get rid of them

code:
welcome_jews = {
		potential = {
			has_dlc = "Sons of Abraham"
			NOT = { 
				religion_group = jewish_group 
				has_character_modifier = expelled_jews_timer #7300 days
			}
			has_character_modifier = expelled_jewish
			primary_title = { higher_tier_than = DUKE }
		}
		allow = {
		}
		effect = {
			remove_character_modifier = expelled_jewish
			custom_tooltip = {
				text = jews_are_welcome
			}
			hidden_tooltip = {
				character_event = { id = SoA.106 }
			}
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1

modifier = {
				factor = 0.1 # Less likely to do it
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				trait = zealous
			}
		}
	}

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

how does tribe -> feudal republic work when your principality is still elective gavelkind anyway

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I can;t actually find this event in the files... Is it in soa_Jewish_events?

no, it's a decision so it's under realm_decisions between expel_jews and put_jews_on_train

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

outer mongolia

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

all hail Emperor Autist the Great of Carpathia, son of King Bernát the Fat, he who made the Romans :frogout: back to their side of the Danube

so if I want to become feudal, I need to put a level 4 fort in all my provinces? gently caress

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 20, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

well I can't read the german but from the latin I think it's the order of battle from the battle of white mountain in the thirty years war

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

KoldPT posted:

finally, the character creation dlc will be useful

they'd hide it just like it hides immortal duh

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

muslim holy sites now include tours, tver, and the orkneys

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I got the last Greek Fire stockpile lost event chain in Charlemagne as Byzantium despite Greek Fire being invented about 100 years before the start date and it's being in active production through at least the late 900s

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

somehow i got the coptic pope as my prisoner as byzantium. i wish there was something cool i could do with that like force all coptics to become iconoclasts.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lol i'm playing byzantium. all the lombard king's sons died in some moron war against the pope and my waifu is on the throne of lombardy now. rome is back when my current ruler kicks it baby

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hmm do i have my heir educated by my 7/25/13/8 brilliant strategist diligent brave eunuch or my 1/10/5/12 slothful gluttonous shy deceitful emperor tough decisions

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You'll end up with a misguided warrior with every single lovely trait imaginable.

well i gave him to the eunuch and literally within 4 days he picked up Diligent so that's good enough for me, now i can educate him myself

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Big realm, I like Midas touch. Small Realm that's going to be punching its way out of trouble, then Brilliant Strategist is best.

byzantium is so filthy rich you don't really need good stewardship unless you need to consolidate for a reign. i try to breed as many of my kings into brilliant strategists as i can.

my magyar game i had a king that ended up with 28 martial, Winter Warrior, and Light Infantry Expert and i was beating lithuanian armies nearly twice my size defensively

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

elf help book posted:

family mode is turned on one of the elvira tables in pinball arcade and turning it off disables high score posting

Crapple's rating system is really strict so if they turn off family mode they go to 17 and nobody buys their stuff anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i should pick up art of war even if i don't play eu4 as much since i played hundreds and hundreds of hours of eu3 years ago