Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neeksy posted:

I think Tertra was great because she really is Kaeru from Working Girls: a terrible idol that everyone is fully aware of how terrible she is. The show being in on the joke helps quite a bit.

The animation was pretty drat wonky this episode. Goddammit, DEEN! :argh:

If you mean Turning Girls then yes, that was the first thing that immediately came to my mind too.

And yeah, lots of weird off-model shots. The first season was iffy enough but dang, the studio switch hasn't been kind so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's not even DEEN's fault (or at least, the problems that aren't animation-related aren't their fault) because the director and writer haven't changed from the first season.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having watched the episode now, it was a pretty dull episode and even having characters on model wouldn't have helped that much.

I'm honestly not feeling the current story arc, it's going slow and I'm not particularly interested in the raiding stuff, which looks like it's gonna last awhile considering we have what feels like some padding coming up (Padding in the traditional sense as opposed to original content, I mean). I want to know why Shiroe wants trillions of gold, but I'd rather see it obtained in a more compelling way; I've always felt that the combat has been by far the weakest part of the series.

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 26, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kyte posted:

Nah it should ramp up within an ep or two. Also I don't know what you mean with padding. Right now it's running the plots of books 6 and 7 in parallel and it's finally done with the setup for both.

I meant that while yeah it's content from the books, a fair amount of the scenes in this episode just felt like they existed to buy time.

Basically:

Neeksy posted:

I guess it's nice to see that Akatsuki has some kind of motivation for her odd behavior rather than it being unexplained, but they really are just saying it too bluntly and repetitively here.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Desuwa posted:

Probably trying to do two books in parallel and front-loading twice the setup wasn't the best call.

I'm going to be optimistic and assume it'll pay off.

I'm sure the payoff will be good eventually yeah, having to sit through twice the setup is rough. Especially since the way they jump from one plot to another is questionable. Like the brief raiding scenes in this episode really felt like filler because it didn't add anything new on that end; we already know they were having a tough time with the raid bosses!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neeksy posted:

I think the problem is that they have to develop both at the same time since they are both coinciding chronologically with Shiroe and Akatsuki meeting up after they both got killed.

They could do one plot to its end and then start off the other and label it "so and so weeks ago".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like that Nyanta voice though Serara really suffers from that generic little girl anime dub voice.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kyte posted:

I guess it might count as a novel spoiler: It's rumored he might be in China, but in reality nobody knows anything because he hasn't showed up in any of the books released so far. There's a chance he might pop up in Book 9, because of the context and focus of its story arc, but no guarantees either.

Weeeeeeeeelp.

With how the pacing has been this season I am starting to think they should have waited a little longer before making another season, especially considering what's in those spoilers.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A jargogle posted:

Wait what acronym? I always assumed it to have arisen as a result of some kind of "holding it on a line a set distance away" connotation.

Yeah I always assumed it was related to kites, especially since kiting was a word that existed before MMOs and it's basically operating on the same principle!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

Haha, what? That's some kind of backronym there. The origin of "kiting" was as people say, running around with monsters following you like kites on a string. It was first popularized in the original Everquest, where certain classes (loving druids) were able to kite things around that were intended to take a party to beat, at little or no risk to themselves.

There's also a financial kiting term that predates it, which is like playing hot potato with fraudulent checks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Was that a speech on MMO failures or bitcoin?

Either way, gently caress this season. This episode was the worst thing ever; when you eclipse the Akatsuki Pity Party with only ONE CHARACTER, I'm checking out. Goodness gracious, Deen, just stop already.

This stuff isn't Deen's fault, unless you're talking about the animation quality. The folks involved with directing and writing haven't changed between seasons.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Argas posted:

I can see the show ending in a couple of episodes and covering just two light novels. The Akatsuki arc and Shiroe's raid are each one LN and they've just concluded one with the raid near its end.

They've already confirmed that this season will be 25 episodes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If this stuff hasn't been padding out the content at all, then yikes. A lot of this season sure has felt that way!

Fidelity to the source material can be a dumb thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dan7el posted:

I have wondered whether it's the fan translations that are complete poo poo or if the actual native-language "light novels" themselves are really as bad as the translations make them. I'm not talking about awkward wording and sloppy translation and grammar, I'm talking about exactly what has been pointed out here.

The place that hosts a lot of light novel translations has a rule preventing editors from being editors. They're more like glorified spell checkers, because they're not allowed to make changes the translators disagree with.

That alone is a significant problem but when you add in how most series have like half a dozen or more different translators and a similar number of editors, then never mind having prose that's not horse poo poo, you're not even going to have consistent character voices.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the best way to compare is to check out a few Japanese authors that have gotten professional English translations. There is a huuuuge world of difference between that and light novel fan translations.

I haven't looked at any professional translations for stuff like Haruhi or Spice & Wolf but I bet there's a pretty big difference there as well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DEEN isn't to blame for this, the director and writers have remained unchanged. They're only to blame for the drop in animation quality.

I haven't watched since the murderer arc so I'm curious about how things have been going down as well. I've never been a fan of the action in the show but the stuff outside that has always been compelling to me, so it has been a disappointment to me that the 2nd season has been so action-heavy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hagop posted:

Wait what, am I just entirely missing the irony in this post or have we been watching different shows. Like 50% of season 2 cour 1 was Akatsuki mopes. With another like 30% being taken up by people talking.

Hm? It's exactly as I said. I enjoy the show more when they're all about finding practical solutions to problems. Stuff like cooking, negotiating with NPCs, etc. I wasn't a fan of the murderer arc since I feel the action is the weakest part of the show so an arc about a super powerful bad guy made it tough to keep my interest going.

I wasn't a fan of the monster invasion stuff from season 1 either!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not like the first season's animation wasn't pretty questionable. This season felt a lot worse in that regard but animation quality alone isn't a big deal if the writing's up to par, and that's all on the director and writer who have remained unchanged from the first season.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

This season has been really good about the worldbuilding and making me want to learn the details of the setting at large. It has also made me want to know what is going on more than ever after this last twist. It gave other guildmasters much needed screentime and those episodes were mostly enjoyable (William's speech was rad, shut up). I would have also liked to have more than a single super-rushed episode about THE BEST PARTY EVER because they are an interesting bunch.

Sadly that accounts for like one fifth of what happened onscreen. They really should have waited a year or so before doing a second season, because they stretched the first two arcs for a whole cour, gave the third arc a single episode, spent like six episodes on the next arc and now we have all of 3-4 for the final and (probably) most important one. :psyduck:

Yeah a year wait would have been better. Plus doesn't this mean that the anime is for all intents and purposes going to be completely caught up to the source material, or close to it? That's gonna result in quite the wait for the third season if so.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kyte posted:

Japanese is really really redundant. Problem is BT translators are awful and have no idea how to translate things into English-that-human-beings-read as opposed to only-technically-English.

They also have a policy that forces editors to be living spellcheckers, instead of actual editors. That causes a lot of problems!

Especially since they also have too many cooks so you never get a consistent voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looks like there was no grand conspiracy after all, the dude just straight up didn't pay what he owed.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-15/log-horizon-author-mamare-touno-issues-statement-regarding-tax-evasion-charges/.87136

quote:

Log Horizon and MAOYU light novel author Mamare Touno issued a statement on his official website on Monday in response to the reports of his tax evasion charges.

His statement reads:

To my readers and all concerned parties,

The Tokyo Regional Taxation Bureau notfied me about the investigation on my tax reports, and I cooperated with their investigation. I have filed and paid my back taxes and completed the necessary paperwork, and so the Bureau has concluded their investigation. I've since given this incident a great deal of thought, and will endeavor to avoid such an incident in future. I sincerely apologize for having troubled and worried my readers and all concerned parties.

m2ladeJAM Ltd.
Representative Director, Umezu Daisuke (Pen name: Mamae Touno)

• Locked thread