Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

alcharagia posted:

I told my mom about the no co-op thing. Thankfully, she didn't shank me, but I'm not allowed to play the game while not in her presence, which is better than being shanked so I'm pretty much cool with it.

What is it like having a mom who is cooler than you and, frankly, anyone in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bayonetta drawn with vaguely more human proportions looks weird. And I think I like the original concept for the Link costume's hat more.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've barely started the game and already love it. It's perfectly true to the original while feeling like it improves in every way, and it's beautiful.

Bayonetta needs to stop being a jerk to Enzo, though. And for a brief moment I thought Fimbulventr would be in Canada before the plane flew west.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Luka is amazing in this game. And for people who have no doubt already beaten it, is there a costume where Bayonetta has Luka's hat? Because it looks good on her.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not huge on the flying ones because it's hard to judge distances. But then I am also A Bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

The opening surfing bit was bollocks, but the fight was good for a mid air fight.

Yeah, I think the surfing bit went on too long, but maybe it's tied to damage? I was using the bow, so probably wasn't lighting the world on fire as damage goes. The actual fight was legit, though.

Unrelated, but for people still struggling to get the hang of dodge offsetting like me, I've found using Undine helps a lot with learning how to do it since it gives very noticeable feedback for when you're holding the button and where you are in your combo. It's odd that Undine doesn't have an associated costume, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Underwater near the start.

Like right at the start? Because I swear I looked all over that section and couldn't find it.

Edit: Wait, is chapter 5's weapon Undine?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 26, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man, I'm missing one part of the LP for what I assume are the chainsaws, and I cannot find that last piece. Is there a list of the record pieces up yet for those of us who are bad?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gonna take a guess and say you're missing the part right after Resentment. Before you enter the arena you'll see a chest but during the fight the land morphs to hide said chest. When you kill the resentment (I think it's what it's called. The snake that can OHKO you) you just go up to the chest and keep running past it to find it.

Warning, two snakes and a handful of enemies will jump you as soon as you pick it up.

I had gotten that one. The one I was missing was actually right at the beginning of The Depths, on the side I hadn't checked since I stupidly figured the muspelheim was the only thing in that section. Now I have the chainsaws, and whoever said to put them on your feet was exactly right.

Also I wish I could put the takemikazuchi shawl on with other weapons, since I'm not a huge fan of the hammer but like the shawl. Combine it with rakshasa's costume to look even cooler, but alas.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think the outfit really works that well if your legs aren't like 4 times the length of your torso. It's a great recreation of the costume, though.

The umbran mechs are also really cool. The actual gameplay with them is maybe a bit too simple, but their design is really neat. Also good for halo farming.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 27, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just finished up the game and this is easily my favorite game this year. It improves on Bayonetta in nearly every way and is an absolute blast to play. Probably the one criticism I have is that I think the first game's cardinal virtues gave a better structure to the story than Bayonetta's bosses. They segmented the game into short arcs, whereas 2 didn't have the same kind of break points or arc structure as much. That is an extremely minor criticism, though. The final boss I think was better than Bayonetta 1's. It may not have had the same scale as 1's, but the fight itself was an absolute blast, fast-paced, and had more in common with the Jeanne fights from 1.

There were also some nice touches in the ending. It was great that Jeanne's final summon was Gomorrah, the one that had killed her, for some payback. I also liked that in the final sequence when her outfit gets slashed she immediately rushes to cover it up, a nice contrast with Bayonetta. And I hope the pink dress is unlockable as well as the white one.

I absolutely loved this game. Please don't let it end here, Nintendo. Even if sales end up being bad (god I hope not).

Edit: In answer to my own question, you do get both dresses with the costume unlock.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 27, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Oh my gently caress, they should have called Bayonetta 1 Hard Mode "Grace and Glory gently caress You Up" mode because Grace and Glory are loving me up oh my fingers

oh my poor poor fingers

Why are torture attacks so drat finnicky? What even triggers a torture attack, I thought it was based on my combo meter.

You have to have a full magic bar (10 pearls) and hit punch+kick while close enough.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oh poo poo the witch trials in post-game get hard fast. There's a Masked Lumen fight at the end of the second one that is intense well beyond what the normal fight is. He's super fast, attacks constantly, and you don't get witch time for very long against him.

This game is real good, guys.

Edit: Also, if anyone else is dumb like me and didn't realize this for some reason, the umbran armor attacks naturally have additional fire attached to them if you hold down the button. The punches fire a machine gun spread and the kicks fire shotgun blasts.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 27, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SurrealityCheck posted:

Kamiya turned up at valve. I hope this means platinum back catalogue appearing on steam, given that Sega allowed Valkyria Chronicles on recently.

Vanquish on PC would be incredible. And if they put up Anarchy Reigns maybe there would be people playing its multiplayer (ahaha no).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

I played the Bayonetta 2 demo and thought it was great. I started playing Bayonetta 1 on Friday and got really bored so I swapped to Bayonetta 2 and it's just a way better game so I'd play that first (like I did).

I'm honestly curious why you found Bayo 1 boring but not Bayo 2. The sequel certainly improves upon the first in basically every way, but the changes in gameplay, pacing, and mechanics are not so large that I could see liking one but finding the other boring. Is there a specific thing you can point to that is the problem? I'm not trying to call you out or anything here, I'm just not seeing the critical component.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You kind of have to watch yourself with the hammer and chainsaws or you'll kill too fast and tank your combo rating.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Having started my hard mode playthrough after finishing normal mode, something amusing is wearing Bayonetta's dress during the prologue. When her dress gets shredded, she just magics it right back on. Fashion never dies.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

Unfortunately not. I thought it was pretty weird too because she seems to have a moveset that could be sizable enough even as just a Tag Climax character.

Maybe there will be dlc in the future. Platinum, please release dlc if that is what is needed to get Bayonetta 3 green lit. I will buy all of it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Sadly if there was going to be DLC we'd probably have heard about it already.

I wanted playable Luka. Give him the ability to swing around and be generally useless. And his Umbral Climax is Wonder Goggles.

You're probably right, but it's not like they don't have a wealth of stuff they could mine even before adding in the Nintendo partnership.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I didn't really mind Loki that much. I think Bayonetta's interactions with Cereza were more fun, but Cereza also barely qualifies as a character. And I like how Bayonetta having a kid sidekick is used to show that despite how she acts toward angels, demons, and (usually) Enzo and how she tries to look publicly, she's really just a big old softie.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of unlocks, is there a list of them anywhere yet? There are still a bunch of accessories and a category of costumes that are marked as coming soon for me. Though I've only done a normal mode play through so far and am working on hard, so I'm guessing they're tied to finishing the game on higher difficulties.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, that's pretty stomach-turning. It doesn't fit the tone of the game or any of the characters involved, including Rodin. There's no reason for that one particular element to be there. If her clothes stayed on it would just be a raging demon reference and nothing more. They did such a good job on everything else. Who thought this was necessary?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, I think "joke taken too far" is probably the best description. If you remove the one thing that is the problem here then everything else works fine and is consistent with the game's tone and the gross implications disappear. It's just that that one case ends up taking it in an upsetting direction that is wrong both for the tone of the game and the characters. And of course it's obvious that they had to know how it would look but shipped it anyway, so that's a clear fault.

That being said, to denounce the game as a whole and Platinum as the worst human beings, as will no doubt be happening, is a pretty severe overreaction. People are totally justified in reacting how they are to the specific offense here, but good things can have a bad thing in them and still be overall good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure it is easier so much as it has less bullshit. That is the big thing I noticed playing Bayo1 after Bayo2. The 'hardest' parts are more just kinda awkwardly designed.

I could be misremembering, but I don't think Bayonetta 1 had a sort of second chance mechanic where if you have more than 1 health left any attack will leave you at 1, whereas Bayonetta 2 does (or I've just been super lucky).

Also Hideki Kamiya is the raddest man cherry boy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fedule posted:

Undine is ostensibly quite good at crowd control, yes. The theory is that you can freeze people or set them on fire to remove them from the equation for a while, but that's really only practical for small enemies that better weapons could eviscerate en masse anyway. You can get some good stuff out of them when facing two or three big enemies (say, Pains) and you have the Bracelet of Time, you can effectively keep one of them frozen at all times while wailing on the other. Buuuuut that's still kinda an edge case and I'unno.

Maybe on the harder difficulties, if you can freeze people with the same amount of spray, they'll come into their own and be better at handling big bunches of small enemies than spamming weaves and sycthes and whips.

The problem I run into with Undine is that the delay before the fire or ice starts up is so long that you're going to get bonked unless you've got a healthy amount of witch time.

Also they don't have an associated costume, so that's an even bigger hurdle to overcome.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Also be sure to avoid doing any raw kicks in the air or you're taking an express trip straight to the floor. Probably half of my failures on those were due to that.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 7, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I also like seeing her having to go all out and try, but it's kind of jarring in certain places when the game difficulty doesn't match up as well as it usually did. :shrug: I could accept the whole prophet fight since he gave the vibe that he was just trying to stall for time so the Lumen Sage could kill Loki.

So when an Umbran Sage dies, her soul is claimed by demons and she has to spend an eternity wandering in hell. What exactly happens when a Lumen Sage dies? His soul gets claimed by angels and he gets to go to heaven? That doesn't seem that bad as long as the angels keep their masks on.

I imagine the angels' punishment for failing them isn't too pleasant. The witches probably do get the worse deal, though. And I'll also throw in that Bayonetta having to visibly try, a little bit, is a good thing on occasion. Not that she wasn't in the first game, but she rarely looked it. Seeing a character who is cocky bravado nearly 100% of the time have to visibly get serious or angry gives those situations a bit more edge and makes things like the umbran armor feel cooler, and I think overall it was used pretty well. She struggles a tiny bit against either equals or literally gods (or I'm just forgetting other instances), so I don't so much mind that. Now if they'd had her in a titanic struggle against like a measly Beloved or something, that would not do.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 25, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

We may be getting a Bayo 3!

I've posted this a bunch but super excited at the possibility.

drat you. I don't think my heart will be able to take it if this ends up being nothing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If they ever make Revengeance 2, adding in co-op verses like Bayonetta 2 has would be incredible. Aside from whatever new characters there would be in the game, they would probably also be able to justify bringing back Monsoon, Sundowner, and Mistral because of cyborg brains or whatever. And maybe zombie Sam.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

That said, everything else is amazing. I'm trying to hold myself to the standard of at least getting Silver on a level before I move on and it's decently challenging with my relatively limited knowledge of the game.

There's really no reason to do this. Just play through and accept your stone ranks. You'll start picking up the game more as the game gives you new weapons, enemies, and skills. Then when you revisit stages you'll wonder how you ever found them hard.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't try to jump into the pool head first on dodge offsetting. Just get used to holding down the button in a normal combo first. Every weapon is built for that in some way, but the guns and flamethrowers especially give clear feedback on it and make learning it much easier. Once you get the hang of that combo extension it's easier to work in dodges.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I initially didn't like the hammer, but it becomes pretty satisfying to use once you get the hang of it, and it pairs really well with whips on the feet. I like the various guns or the swords on the hands with chainsaws on the feet for the other set. Feet chainsaws have the cool running animation and are cooler than hand chainsaws since hand chainsaw combos are kind of boring, in my opinion. The scythe is also kind of boring.

I still miss the first game's shotguns, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The chainsaws are great because they have a good weight to them, in the sense of like the slowdown on their slashes when you hit an enemy. Hammer and whips are the same in that their hits feel powerful. The bow, scythe, and maces I think fall short because they lack that feeling of impact. The bow barely feels better than the regular plinky guns and charge shot even if it is pretty strong with just a partial charge. The scythe is cool until you get the hammer, then it's more just a combo extender. The maces are slow and the flamethrowers hurt, but the individual hits don't feel much better than punches.

That's about the most criticism I can come up with for the weapons. They're still distinct and fun enough that I will pull them out in whatever combinations from time to time including the ones I like less, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've been replaying Bayonetta 2 to finally finish, even if with entirely stone rankings, infinite climax, and I still cannot get any mileage out of undine. Has anyone gotten results out of it? I feel like there's something about them I'm missing. Should I just skip using the flame/icethrower followup until the weave portion hits?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope that 8 bit Bayonetta thing isn't what they were referring to a while back when they teased something related to Bayonetta a while back. I want Bayonetta 3 announced at E3 this year :(.

Also playing around with the demons' shotgun made me think that a big rifle would be a cool basic weapon for a heavier version of the normal punches move set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

The Bayonetta related thing was a wallpaper,.

My hopes and dreams...

I guess I'll just have to hope it's been long enough since I last played Bayonetta 1 that it will feel new after I finish infinite climax in 2.

• Locked thread