Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi
At this time any goon who has registered and PMed me has been added to the Testing access group and should now be able to see the alpha test forum with the download link etc.

If you want in, register and PM me your SA name and you will be activated.

For those already in:
http://www.darklightswg.com/forum/index.php?/topic/273-welcome-to-open-alpha-testing-phase-i/

That post will explain what the status is on everything in the test and provide you with the download for the launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Levarris posted:

Bounty Hunter is now a "Secondary Profession" which only includes the investigation line. It is something you can choose with any primary profession. So you could be for example a Jedi / BH, a Commando / BH and so on.

And, player bounties affect all players, not just glowbat enthusiasts.

gently caress yeah, now I can hunt Sith Lords and get paid for it.

I call dibs on the Jedi Council.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
:toot: I'm in.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Working on that download. I should be in shortly.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Levarris posted:

You lose XP, like a Jedi would have. Albeit a paltry amount.

So is there a reason to ever not kill yourself with an alt if you ever have any non-substantial amount of bounty on your head?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

SweetBro posted:

So is there a reason to ever not kill yourself with an alt if you ever have any non-substantial amount of bounty on your head?

No, however you would be as unlikely to randomly pull your own alt's mission than you would to pull any specific person's mission. You don't know the target's name until you roll up on them, and all Player bounties are the same price.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I forget, didn't you say you would also be balancing armors so that composite isn't necessarily king anymore? What about cosmetic slots for clothing to appear instead of the armor you're wearing?

I may be trying this out, but only if my most favorite profession (tailor) still has a good/better reason to exist. As it stood in pre-CU, tailor stuff was really only useful for non-combat people with slotted clothes.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I'll second that. If it's just another world where the only variation between players is what color their composite is, I lose interest.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
All armors have the possibility of the same potential yes, so it's not a choose your composite armor color as the limitation of choice anymore.

As far as clothing goes, appearance tab is something I would love to do, it would be a stretch goal if anything.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
Only had a little bit of time to play last night and this morning, just playing it like it was a fresh server: make a character, level up normally, try to be self-sufficient, etc. Started as Beast Master and it's pretty cool, but the XP is hilariously slow to start with compared to the combat XP I end up getting. Not a huge deal, but it's worth noting for later. I ran into an issue with Ranger being impossible to level because it caps the Scout XP you can have at I think 2000 XP and you need 10k for the first level (these numbers might be off - I'm not on right now). Also, unless I'm doing something wrong, DNA sample doesn't work - it always tells you you're not skilled enough.

I'll try to be on later to jump on TS/Mumble and see what's up with everyone.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Levarris posted:

I changed my mind on the GoonTest™.

If you have registered and sent me a PM on our forum with your SA name for me to verify, i'll be opening it up to you tonight when I get home. Probably by 7:00pm EST.

I'll hop in CTS Mumble starting tonight when I get home so I can coordinate with any of you on testing. I'd ask at least one of you who are into crafting to liberally use the frogs, get resource deeds and craft the hell out of some pharmacist wares. It's an area I am really looking for feedback on.

When/ho long is it going to be open for the goon testing? if its up tonight i'll craft some meds

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

HexiDave posted:

Only had a little bit of time to play last night and this morning, just playing it like it was a fresh server: make a character, level up normally, try to be self-sufficient, etc. Started as Beast Master and it's pretty cool, but the XP is hilariously slow to start with compared to the combat XP I end up getting. Not a huge deal, but it's worth noting for later. I ran into an issue with Ranger being impossible to level because it caps the Scout XP you can have at I think 2000 XP and you need 10k for the first level (these numbers might be off - I'm not on right now). Also, unless I'm doing something wrong, DNA sample doesn't work - it always tells you you're not skilled enough.

I'll try to be on later to jump on TS/Mumble and see what's up with everyone.

That is a good point and I will most likely be adjusting that. The levelling curve should feel about the same across the board.

iamthehans posted:

When/ho long is it going to be open for the goon testing? if its up tonight i'll craft some meds

Until the end of the open pubbie alpha weekend later this month. Until the start of that weekend it's goons only. Pubbies only get to try it for 3 days.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Levarris posted:

Open Alpha Testing from 2/27/16 at 00:00hrs to 2/29/16 at 00:00hrs Eastern Standard Time.

http://www.darklightswg.com/forum/index.php?/topic/260-open-alpha-phase-one/

Will need plenty of genuine feedback from my fellow goons to help make this a "mostly" non-lovely product.

I don't really have the time to commit to test but I hope everything works out great! The changes sound well thought out. Will definitely be interested once the alpha is up semi-permanently. The biggest barrier will be getting people to give it a shot, I hope the swgemu purists give it a chance.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I'll be on and off today and tomorrow as Faris. Started off as an Officer, but quickly realized there's not going to be many people online to group with that will make it worthwhile, so probably going to respec Beastmaster (if I can find a trainer).

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I'll be on and off today and tomorrow as Faris. Started off as an Officer, but quickly realized there's not going to be many people online to group with that will make it worthwhile, so probably going to respec Beastmaster (if I can find a trainer).

Mos Eisley star port

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Unctuous Cretin posted:

If all else fails, there is a blue frog in Mos Eisley

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Levarris posted:

If all else fails, there is a blue frog in Mos Eisley

That might be something to make more prevalent. SWGEmu and just about all the projects based off it have most people trained to default to Coronet.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Unctuous Cretin posted:

That might be something to make more prevalent. SWGEmu and just about all the projects based off it have most people trained to default to Coronet.

Yea, took me a bit to figure that out.

Still had some issues with Beast Master & Ranger even with the blue frogs:
  • Ranger is listed in the skills you can learn on the frog, but doesn't actually train it - gives an error about it not being found
  • Training Beast Master - from frog or manually - doesn't give you access to most of the pet commands (you end up with Follow, Store, Attack, and Special Attack at Huntsman 4)
  • It might be really difficult to level Beast Master or use it early on since pets "grow" so slowly - I was still only getting 100 XP per enemy attacked after a full 24 hours of having the first pet.
  • It's incredibly hard to tame creatures - at Huntsman 1 I couldn't tame a forest murra baby (it started taming, but always failed)
  • I don't think DNA Sample works at all - never worked even at Huntsman 4. Errors with something along the lines of "You do not have the skill to sample DNA".

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

HexiDave posted:

• Ranger is listed in the skills you can learn on the frog, but doesn't actually train it - gives an error about it not being found
  • Training Beast Master - from frog or manually - doesn't give you access to most of the pet commands (you end up with Follow, Store, Attack, and Special Attack at Huntsman 4)
  • It might be really difficult to level Beast Master or use it early on since pets "grow" so slowly - I was still only getting 100 XP per enemy attacked after a full 24 hours of having the first pet.
  • It's incredibly hard to tame creatures - at Huntsman 1 I couldn't tame a forest murra baby (it started taming, but always failed)
  • I don't think DNA Sample works at all - never worked even at Huntsman 4. Errors with something along the lines of "You do not have the skill to sample DNA".

i'll systematically look at all of those issues tonight.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I had Scout experience stop entirely for me. I started as Officer and Ranger secondary. I dropped Officer for Beast Master and kept Ranger. I stopped receiving Scout xp. This was all done the old fashioned way before I found the frog.

I'd agree with the Beast Master difficulty, as well. I didn't dedicate a whole lot of time to it, but the only thing I could tame at Novice was a chuba; he was getting me 50xp each mob I killed that he got a shot or two in on.

I switched to Soldier (Light Infantry) and had enough to go straight into the second box. Carbines seem like they are still very broken, as I was able to do significantly less with the second box and CDEF carbine than I was with Novice Officer and the CDEF pistol.

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 12, 2016

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Levarris posted:

i'll systematically look at all of those issues tonight.

Groovy. Do you have an official issue tracker? I can just post stuff there if I find anything.

Gonna try to make a crafter tonight.

bogey.flail
Mar 29, 2001
I've had a quick go at crafting, and I've noticed that both artisan assembly and experimentation cap out at +40 in all the trader professions, which only gives you 5 artisan experimentation points overall, when master artisan in pre-cu gave you +100 to both and 10 crafting points.

This might hamstring people looking to make decent crafting tools and the basic items that use artisan assembly and experimentation, I dunno if it's worth adding more artisan skills as you skill up?

Crafting seems good so far in munitions trader, rather enjoying it!

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

bogey.flail posted:

I've had a quick go at crafting, and I've noticed that both artisan assembly and experimentation cap out at +40 in all the trader professions, which only gives you 5 artisan experimentation points overall, when master artisan in pre-cu gave you +100 to both and 10 crafting points.

This might hamstring people looking to make decent crafting tools and the basic items that use artisan assembly and experimentation, I dunno if it's worth adding more artisan skills as you skill up?

Crafting seems good so far in munitions trader, rather enjoying it!

I believe artisan experimentation only applies to specific items that were solely for artisans and there are additional skill mods for specific crafting archetypes that fill out the rest of the points for things like armor, clothing, etc. Not to mention wearable skilltape mods, and food.

HexiDave posted:

Groovy. Do you have an official issue tracker? I can just post stuff there if I find anything.

Gonna try to make a crafter tonight.

Yeah, post in the testing forum in the threads designated for each specific area of testing. When the tests are concluded everything that is reported will have been compliled together to be fixed.

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I had Scout experience stop entirely for me. I started as Officer and Ranger secondary. I dropped Officer for Beast Master and kept Ranger. I stopped receiving Scout xp. This was all done the old fashioned way before I found the frog.

I'd agree with the Beast Master difficulty, as well. I didn't dedicate a whole lot of time to it, but the only thing I could tame at Novice was a chuba; he was getting me 50xp each mob I killed that he got a shot or two in on.

I switched to Soldier (Light Infantry) and had enough to go straight into the second box. Carbines seem like they are still very broken, as I was able to do significantly less with the second box and CDEF carbine than I was with Novice Officer and the CDEF pistol.

I haven't personally done any testing on scouting / ranger as all I did was literally merge the skillboxes of ranger / scout into one tree. I'll look at that asap, there is absolutely no reason you should stop receiving that xp type unless for some oddball reason the server thinks you are at the cap for that xp type.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 12, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Levarris - Sent you a PM. Been wanting to mess around with this for a while, so, gently caress it, I'll help out.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

HexiDave posted:

When it came to leveling a BM initially, it sucked. Really bad. Like, really really bad. Before people would just trade you starter pets for free, I think it took me about 30-40 tries to finally tame a baby outside of Kadaara. Leveling them sucked too. I'm not saying this because I'm a jaded vet, and want you to deal with the same poo poo you probably went through leveling a BM in pre-CU before, but most people tend to forget how bad leveling that initial profession actually was before they could get buffs/help/etc. I actually wouldn't be apposed to Levarris increasing the XP for BM related things because of how stupidly hard it was pre-CU.

I haven't had a chance to log into the test server yet, but is Bio-Engineer essentially rolled into BM? If so, that's amazing, and how it should have been pre-CU.

Levarris posted:

I believe artisan experimentation only applies to specific items that were solely for artisans and there are additional skill mods for specific crafting archetypes that fill out the rest of the points for things like armor, clothing, etc. Not to mention wearable skilltape mods, and food.

This isn't a huge issue at all, but how badly will that affect the max potential for speeders' durability?

Mux fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 12, 2016

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Mux posted:

When it came to leveling a BM initially, it sucked. Really bad. Like, really really bad. Before people would just trade you starter pets for free, I think it took me about 30-40 tries to finally tame a baby outside of Kadaara. Leveling them sucked too. I'm not saying this because I'm a jaded vet, and want you to deal with the same poo poo you probably went through leveling a BM in pre-CU before, but most people tend to forget how bad leveling that initial profession actually was before they could get buffs/help/etc. I actually wouldn't be apposed to Levarris increasing the XP for BM related things because of how stupidly hard it was pre-CU.

I haven't had a chance to log into the test server yet, but is Bio-Engineer essentially rolled into BM? If so, that's amazing, and how it should have been pre-CU.

This isn't a huge issue at all, but how badly will that affect the max potential for speeders' durability?

I will definitely be adjusting the xp for beasts. This isn't pre-cu anymore and I don't want anything to feel glacially slow. As for speeder durability, it shouldn't.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Mux posted:

Oh sure, I did plenty of grinding back pre-CU and I know the pain. But, I was mostly referring to the XP gained in comparison to the other professions. I was getting 3-4k Combat XP per kill and 50 XP for Beast Master only if I sent the creature to attack. In order to do that - since it was only a baby - I had to do a weak attack first to get their attention while sneaking the critter in for a quick hit or two. I haven't had a chance to test other combat professions in the new system, but I bet it wouldn't take nearly as long to level (hours for the first box). I'm sure getting a beefier pet gifted would help a lot, but just starting out solo means really uneven leveling time.

Anyways, as Levarris says, it'll get adjusted in time and I mostly wanted to make a note of my own experience.

As for BE being rolled into BM: it is, but as of yesterday DNA sampling is bugged so I can't test it.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Hey Levarris, I ran a batch import from the SWG assets to UE4 a few nights ago after talking with you (and playing, it was awesome!!, killer job on the Hex Heroing because holy gently caress I would never do that) just for kicks, and found that the good ol .msh still translates well to our newfangled modern vectors that also contain 3 floats. Any comment on the scenario:

Would it just have been a better expenditure of talent and resources to port the old SWG to a new engine, since the server seems to handle a good portion of the logic load? In regards to the original SWGEmu team direction. Thanks

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

FireWhizzle posted:

Would it just have been a better expenditure of talent and resources to port the old SWG to a new engine, since the server seems to handle a good portion of the logic load? In regards to the original SWGEmu team direction. Thanks

Perhaps, but the EMU team would never have directly supported an effort like that, it would be too flagrant a EULA violation for them and they've tried to stay within a certain legal gray area.

bogey.flail
Mar 29, 2001
I've set up a guild hall near Mos Eisley at 2516 -4420, and will throw up some crafting stations and stuff there, if anyone wants somewhere to store stuff, give me your character name and I'll add you to admin.

I'm going to work on crafting stuff this weekend, so if anyone has any requests, let me know.

My char names are Bogeyio and Beti, give me a shout if you're online!

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Bogeyio for guild leader!

Also Levarris, I registered on the forums but my verification email never came through and I checked my spam too, I've signed up with the imaginative name of Ahdinko, can you make a thing happen please?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

Bogeyio for guild leader!

Also Levarris, I registered on the forums but my verification email never came through and I checked my spam too, I've signed up with the imaginative name of Ahdinko, can you make a thing happen please?

Things have happened.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Awesome, thanks Levarris

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Levarris posted:

Things have happened.

Any updates?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
There was an update yesterday on their site:

Levarris posted:

Development Update

Hello everyone, it's been a while since we've sat down and had a nice little fireside chat. Let's get cozy for a moment for a little storytime about what we have been up to since our last Alpha Testing cycle.

Firstly, I want to thank everyone who participated in the last test, the feedback that we got was extremely helpful in assisting us in iron out some unexpected problems with the game. After the test we compiled all of the bugs reported and took a short recess from development so we could catch our breath. After a few weeks we returned to the job at hand but we fell silent after that. We hammered out the bugs that were reported and began working on a great deal of new content that we can't wait to show to all of you. We then decided to halt further work on the existing core however for several reasons, but the most important reason being some great advancements made to SWGEmu Core3 since we forked our code off from the latest from them. With this in mind we decided to get the latest from SWGEmu and merge our work into it. This has taken considerable time as our code repository has a myriad of changes to it. As thus we have basically had to revisit our previous work commit by commit to ensure compatibility with the latest code.

In the coming weeks, we will have some really friggin cool things to show off.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzgqD49PXIM

There's this. Still chugging away at it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just want a Pre-CU SWG experience patched up to JTL without all the extra crazy poo poo. But I doubt that'll ever happen.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just want a Pre-CU SWG experience patched up to JTL without all the extra crazy poo poo. But I doubt that'll ever happen.

Isn't that what SWGEmu's Basilisk is supposed to be? Minus the JTL which is still probably a few years away.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I think the most tragic thing about the SWGEmu is Nostalgia getting in the way of actually improving the game. Hopefully the Suncrusher team will do that once they hit publish 14

I really hope someone does the mission system 2.0, it's something SOE always intended to do for the Pre-CU version of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Publish 8 for the Basilisk guys is out. Has been for a few weeks

• Locked thread