Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Every member of the family has one Roger Persona they are blind to - which recurring character is actually a Roger persona that the audience is blind to?

My guess is Memphis Stormfront

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

If I’m unwinding with a video game this is the 100% best show to have on in the background. I’ve gone through every episode multiple times just doing 2-3 in a night while knocking out a few eras in Civilization. It’s so easy to just tune into and see an A+ gag randomly appear.

The show just took off so well when it accepted its own set of rules for reality can be whatever they want. Especially as it relates to Roger.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

One of my favorite things is the show is the family getting preemptively annoyed that someone they are about to meet is going to be Roger. One of the highlights is “of course I’m not him. I’m the dog” and then Stan’s “we’re going to get there and it’s going to be you isn’t it” “strong possibility”

But the best has to be Steve describing the clown professor before, in stride, going “and ah crap it’s going to be Roger isn’t it” with the smash cut to Roger storming in with full clown makeup on paired with the severe black Whiplash outfit.

The show really hit its stride when they embraced Roger being inexplicably magic and able to do anything.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah everyone counts out American Dad as just Family Guy light but it’s actually some sort of absurdist self-aware magical-realism exploration of our culture that really doesn’t have any parallels. The show creatively just took off Season 4+ and never looked back

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I really enjoy Roger as Francine’s Dad’s Cat. Him and Haley in that episode are just great “so… what do you get out of this?”

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The great part is that Roger can just be anywhere the show goes to add another level to it. Like he’s the owner of the skate rink killing rats in the roller derby episode, the concrete salesman in the time traveling hotel, or the cat I mentioned before. He doesn’t have to be the focused and it’s super easy to just write him in anywhere he needs to be.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

They really let Klaus stretch his legs as a character later on in the show’s run. Klaus’s Boyz was one of the best episodes. I lose it every time at “how do I know that dog…”

They finally just gave up on him being a fish and just have him scooting around in his little cup and driving with his telescopic driving cane.

Good shows often start with a gimmick and then completely move beyond it when they realize what the characters are actually like. Once they decided Klaus being a fish wasn’t important it opened up so many new things for him.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Do you eat?

…..Denuta

I have the money.

Probably one of the top 10 funniest things on the show.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I know we can’t just quote every episode that comes up but Hurricane really is an A-lister. I think about the bear judgementally shaking his head more than I’d like to admit, along with the kid trying to get his soccer ball from the yard, but Roger’s “no… no no no no no” while pushing his one night stand underwater with one finger is perfection.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The most amazing start to a perfect episode. The perfect hard cut between excited and annoyed is flawless.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

“It’s going to be you, isn’t it? We’re going to get there and it’s going to be you.”
“…strong possibility.”

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Nichael posted:

You just got DADDED.

NO ONE IS SAFE

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Let me handle this GYYYARRRYYYY

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I always forget that Vacation Goo includes the Most Dangerous game subplot AND the Roger can’t cry on cue Xanadu / strip club B plot, both of which feel like they take up whole episodes worth of content in my mind. What a banger of an episode.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

What’s everyone’s most surreal episode? I find it varies wildly.

For me I don’t mind any nonsense sci fi or other bits the episode that really threw me off the most for some reason was the Ham Club episode. Something about the cabin full of nearly-dead old ham enthusiasts who Roger keeps poisoning for no good reason just felt so strange and off in a delightful way.

The way they suddenly just start referring to the poisoned ham club guys as “The Men” lives rent free in my head.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I forgot about Rabbit Ears that episode really feels like it’s not a comedy for the last half of the episode.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Mx. posted:

wild women do is absolutely perfect, the stupid zoom of the horse eyeballs is unreasonably hilarious

Seriously it’s so drat good. “And they don’t regret it!”

Then you get the table side guac escape and the guy who hates washing machines and Stan trying to use a bird metaphor to explain things to Jeff.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Just made myself cackle imagining Barry coming out of the muddy ground screaming as they try to escape space camp.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

“How… how did you make me answer the phone??”

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Huh they lowered his mouth more into his jaw. It makes him look way friendlier.

Stan season 3 on is such a weird character. He’s genuinely terrible yet somehow lovable. You see him doing just awful poo poo and treating people terribly yet somehow you root for him.

I guess this is just good comedy character design now that I think about it but it stands out thinking of early season Stan where his post 9/11 neocon attitude is played almost straight compared to later seasons when whole strings of episodes pass without it being a factor at all or, if it is, it’s in the context of looking for Ollie North’s Gold.

Now I have the Olly North song stuck in my head.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Starboy has Klaus trying to eat a Panera bread soup in a Cessna and for that it will always have my love

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Just remembered in Roger Passes the Bar how Stan’s entire role in the episode is stealing increasingly large quantities of bathroom materials from the bar in his own attic and panicking when caught and snorted out loud

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

History has shown us that Patrick Stewart will say anything and I for one respect him for it

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Mister Kingdom posted:

Almost. He made a speech where he said they wanted to say a line that would indicate he was a pedofile and he said no. There was also some line that disparaged a friend of his and he also said no.

Huh! I guess the line must be drawn here. This far, and no farther.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I think one of the hardest I’ve laughed at the show is when Stan gives the cab to a young newlywed couple and then tells the next cabbie about it. He goes “want me to follow them” and Stan’s squinting “I do….. but there’s no time”. Just the double subverting expectations of the cabbie making the insane offer and Stan making the insane acceptance of it tickles me.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I watch the show generally while doing other things so I don’t give it the full attention it deserves and as a result I find myself noticing things I missed the first 5 times watching an episode. For some reason in the NaviJoe episode where Klaus becomes Stan’s car I completely missed the running gag about Zagnut bars where Klaus has his stolen then they stop a theft of one and the bad guys are the Zagnut boys hiding in Zagnut gulch. All they do is steal cars and Zagnut bars.

The episode has some amazing moments. Like Francine going “I thought I was your best friend” and Stan’s “Really?” Delivered almost curiously.

I just remembered I paid $11,000! I kept tipping the salesman during the negotiation. Kept him VERY motivated.

I’m comin NaviJoe!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I love pretty much every episode involving the Bazooka Sharks but I think the Die Hard one about how Haley and Stan can't communicate is my favorite. There are so many great moments. "Wait a minute! You're not the asian woman who plays Great Dwight!" and then Sky Crooner up in the rafters, Stan getting his hot dog shoved through the vent grate, Stan and Haley desperately trying to name black women. It's got so much to love.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The problem is the worst of American Dad is consistently better than the best or either other show but people don’t really give it a shot. I loved early family guy as an idiot teenager when it came out (thus my stupid user name) and American Dad came out just long enough later for me to roll my eyes at its pathetic attempt to parody neoconservatism and I didn’t really give it a shot until streaming it years later.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Guilty as Charrrrrrged!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Those terrorists gave off a pleasant ham aroma when punched

Butchered the line but Blind Roger is a joy.

Fartbreak Hotel is a fantastic episode and Hector Elizondo delivers one of the best guest voice performances ever.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

American Dad has been to New York loads of times. Roger and Steve doing midnight cowboy, I’m pretty sure the Stomp episode, when Francine writes a mystery novel, off the top of my head.

“The Big Apple!”
(Francine hugs stan)
“…I appear to have gotten away with something”

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

It’s Me! Tuttle!

He also plays a strong role in several amazing episodes including Rabbit Ears.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I do enjoy the repeating jokes about Francine’s sexual history. The rose garden with the tour guide is a good one, but then there’s:

"Ever done it in an abandoned eastern bloc sports arena?" | "Mmm, that depends. Is Romania in the eastern bloc? And does it still count if the stadium was full of screaming spectators?"

Francine? Sure, she’s the female wilt chamberlain. But Dad? It will destroy him.

Stan: What do you think, Francine? Ever done it with a mayor?
Francine: I have. Six of 'em, actually. Seven if you count the guy in the Mayor McCheese outfit.
Stan: You dog.

I like how in the last quote it just stays positive and Stan is proud of her :3

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

There’s a lot of new construction and such on the Main Street just off where I live so whenever I notice something new I announce “downtown’s changing!” And my wife is none the wiser.

I also managed to land the “Through the power of gentrification! There are some people who don’t like that word, but they don’t live here any more!” joke which both killed and totally bummed my wife because the street is on a good bus line and is filling up with three story high-price apartments.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I think they got the actual voice actors for that but? So good.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I’ve seen that episode 3 or 4 times now and never noticed the dress before

Crazy how they foresaw such an eventuality so clearly so far in advance. I heard the writers had to do CIA interviews after the Bin Laden episode.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I’m coming in on the hot tub episode being bad. The tub is evil and Stan is seduced by it. It then kills folks. Writers forget to add jokes. Episode ends.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Daddy’s Gone is flawless as if it’s from another episode. But every Cee Lo Green song is just the hot tub saying enjoy this hot tub. There’s no jokes in those.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Into the Woods is such a good episode.

The sub shop "is this a men's only sandwich shop?", Francine substituting for Roger and trying to meet his "power clown" energy, Roger sitting in a giant fog in the attic because he can tell he's almost sick. The entire reunion sequence is amazing.

I started my own ad agency!
I'm a former model turned hooker for models!
I found a million dollars in the woods today!

Real peak American Dad stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

FireWorksWell posted:

Make way for Klaus!

I don't want Klaus.