Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

YOU ARE MY QUEEN, REBECCA
is the single greatest one scene character line

Agreed. I'm so glad this thread is going strong and there's still such love for this show. Latest episode was probably my favourite of the season so far, I had no idea where it was going and loved all the twists. Hard to pick a particular scene I liked the most but Steve's dry conversation with his 50 year-old partner would be up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

sassassin posted:

This show got ridiculously mean-spirited.

Hahahahaha are you pointing to a fundamental shift this season or episode? Because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa3saMEx-BI&t=114s

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

If nothing else Klaus is definitely racist, I recall the hilarious scene from the Familyland episode where they are parodying the "it's a small world after all" ride at Disney and he's all in. Klaus is an irredeemable piece of poo poo like the rest of them and I wouldn't have it any other way. The plot line where he owns a convenience store was genius.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Glad this show still gets some love lo’ these many years later. Love the gang tag, all it’s missing is a Nutrigrain bar and a Mountain Dew. Agree it’s tough to come up with a truly terrible episode but the standouts really kill I think. Some favourites for me have to be the Vietnam re-enactment, stage play, first Santa episode and the rapture.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Nep-Nep posted:

"Is that why were acting so weird?"

"Weird, how?"

"STABBING ME COMES TO MIND!"

never fails to improve my mood if just a little

Decided to go back and watch this episode and so grateful I did. However, I have to argue that the line before is funnier:
"But you didn't have to stab me..."
"I didn't?"
"Well...what? OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T, THERE COULD NEVER BE A REASON TO STA-" holds forehead "nevermind."

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

drat, season 1 had some gems but for my money it has to be Tears of a Clooney. That action sequence between Stan and Francine was goddamn epic. Also I just love the portrayal of Francine's unquenchable hatred for Clooney, "...he just does the same cheesy move every time. Looks down, then looks back up squinting underneath his eyebrows AND EVERYBODY'S BUYING IT."

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I hadn't watched There Will Be Blood in a long while so decided to check it out again and it's pretty great:

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Davros1 posted:

I'M AMAZINGLY FOCUSED RIGHT NOW

Ahhh ahhh, who am I nudging? There's no one next to me.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

The thought of American Dad ending is Tiffany's boyfriend, not Gold Top at all.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

That took much longer than expected, bit annoying. I said Francine is my favourite character because she can drain a 2L Sunkist in, like, a second.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

First, the show's version of a wedding singer performing Thong Song is stuck in my head.

So we have at least one more season of sweet sweet American Dad but I suspect we're in for a long wait. I recall during a break some started a discussion of the top episodes from season 1. I don't know if it carried on or data was collected but I would love to know if so. Some people seem to count what I have as season 2 ("From Bullocks to Stan" through "Tears of a Clooney") as season 1. I know there's been some confusion on how to organize the seasons.

Just to get the ball rolling I'm going to start with my "season 3" which begins with Camp Refoogee ending with Joint Custody. Then plan to provide my top 5 episodes for the season.

Levin fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 31, 2024

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Got through season 2 or 3 and there are some gems:
e2. The American Dad After School Special - The introduction of Debbie, Stan hallucinating a bro gym trainer.
e14. An Apocalypse to Remember - Steve's tripping on hallucinogenic berries, and the introduction of Buckle and Shari.
e15. Four Little Words - Bullock's CIA-honed reflexes and Roger's spree as Kevin Bacon to Footloose.
e16. When a Stan Loves a Woman - Steve's energy drink addiction and the payoff when Francine learns Stan slept with his wife.
e19. Joint Custody - Probably one of my favourite depictions of characters getting high.

Levin fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 2, 2024

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Tell them how you killed our baby.

Can I have not killed the baby?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

We march on to season 3/4 and here's my gold top 5 episodes:
e1 - The Vacation Goo: "I'm in the gooooooo..." Just a fantastic episode start to finish. I think this might be where the show really started to hit its stride.
e2 - Meter Made: "But I got to admit, there was something about Stan ticketing people that turned me on." The introduction of Turlington!
e8 - The Most Adequate Christmas Ever: "Stan, you're holding a gun to God's head. I mean, I can't even think of a metaphor that's better than this and I'm a published poet." Evidence that AD was knocking holiday specials out of the park before they even got to Santa.
e10 - Tearjerker: "I'm gonna go hit the juice bar. You probably wouldn't like, it's not about living out childhood abuse through degrading sexual encounters, it's more about juice." Honestly, I think they could have gotten a few more episodes out of Bond spoofs.
e16 - Spring Break-Up: "I've never hooked up with a mentally challenged guy before. Yes I have." The b plot with Carmen Selectra jumping through hoops to take Steve's virginity was great.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

That b-plot might be the least sympathetic and most idiotic Steve has ever been

Nowadays you can't be too safe, what with all the wang-shriveling sex diseases.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Ewww, everyone heard that.

Is that Ace of Base?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

We're all just water, Steve.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

The march continues as we enter season 4 and you are all blessed with my Gold Top 5:
e1 - 1600 Candles: "It's your birthday Roger, make a wish." "It already came true" *single red pubic hair lands on birthday cake* "I hate Steve so much." - Strong start to the season. Francine's reaction to having to deal with Steve's puberty followed by the sequence of Hailey going through it. Steve's rise and inevitable fall. Stan and Francine jamming giant needles into Steve's head.
e2 - The One That Got Away: "Wait, you spent $700 just to steal $10 gloves?" - Might be an obvious premise but it was done well and a lot of fun.
e5 - Escape from Pearl Bailey: "YOU, SHALL, NOT, PASS" *cue Joy Division* - Probably my favourite of the season, just so many great moments. The election and revenge plot feels like an episode by itself but it just keeps going! "We're not taking any of them with us!"
e7 - Phantom of the Telethon: "Just riiiiiiiiight." "Joke killer, he's a joke killer" - That tune from the keyboard still gets stuck in my head sometimes.
e12 - Roy Rogers McFreely: "Hang on Speakerphone!" - There's just something about the episodes which pit Roger against Stan that click.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm with the majority when it comes to American Fung but have to admit I enjoy both My Morning Straitjacket and A Starboy is Born. In particular, I recall really enjoying A Starboy is Born, though I haven't gone back to it since it aired. Some bits I liked include: The Weeknd's complete disinterest in Haley, Klaus' boy Vu, Roger impersonating The Weeknd, and the virgin powers song.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Ravenson posted:

Yeah, Fung never gets to me because I just tune out the billionaire stuff and focus on Stan's adventures, Starboy works because it features an original song that's playful and funny, and Break-Up features one of the better uses of Mah-Mah. They're all positives. With Morning, the best I can say about it is Roger's persona and since I can't remember anything about it in particular that's damning for the episode.

I think I'm a sucker for the Almost Famous bit, the creepy fan always gets a couple laughs out of me, and I enjoy the psychedelic fantastic journey Stan goes on when describing what he sees listening to one of their songs.

That said I loved your measure, I feel like I could probably use something similar to some degree with Dale in King of the Hill.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

…is Chad gonna be ok?

Sweeps is dead!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

MisterDuck posted:

Look deep into his eyes, which are now his balls.

Do you know the difference between a government bond and a man? The bond matures.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

And I never spoke to a girl again, not even the ones that I ate...

We learned a lot from Charlotte that summer, about what it meant to be a man, and we carried that with us the rest of our lives.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I KNOW you hear me.

Am I gonna marry her? Helllll no, but she don't need to know that.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Pretty sure there's a Powerpuff Girls one in there.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

- Jeannie Gold!
- Tom Yabo!

- Genevieve Vavance!
- Braff Zacklin!

- Roy Rogers McFreely!
- Kevin Bacon!

- Horse Renoir!
- Chex LeMeneux!

- Clive Trotter!
- Miles Raymond!

- The Phantom of the Telethon!
- Cleshawn Montegue!

- Captain Francois Dubonet!
- Roland Chang!

General Juanito Pequeño!

Ricky Spanish...

- Max Jets!
- Jenny Fromdabloc!

- Frankie Carconni!
- Ruby Zeldastein!

- Uncle Roger!
- Dr. Penguin!

- Jojo Quinoa!
- Michael Corbin!

- The Legman!
- Dan Ansome Handsome!

- Arbuckle T. Boone!
- Lazlo Morphine!

- Shalonda Dykes!
- Dom Fikowski!

- Dimitri Garabedian!
- Morris Buttermaker!

- Sidney Huffman!
- Reaganomics Lamborghini!

- Martin Sugar!
- Burt Jarvis!

- Cuss Mustard!
- Frank Slade!

- Abigail Lemonparty!
- Twill Ongenbone!

"And who could forget Clip Clop!"

"Are they... on our side?"

"Kevi-i-i-i-i-n Ramage!"

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Did somebody order a ham slider? (best use of MMMBop)

Levin fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 11, 2024

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

robot roll call posted:

this is a great episode, any one where the whole family is focused in the same direction usually is

I feel like an NYC trip is a pretty common plot, even though I can only think of the Simpsons episode off the top of my head, but I think they handled it really well by containing it within a bigger plot and focusing on it more briefly.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

Ahh, they're right Al, you'll just slow them down, so smile ya fat clown and walk away.

Later world...

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Alxprit posted:

He genuinely wants to know how you're doing today.

Oh, I don't expect you to understand, because you've never had something as pure as my hole and then had to see it defiled by strangers. I can't just turn my back while a group of thugs comes into my hole and violates it.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

We all celebrate Sunday differently.

And from that day on Francine made Thursday her day, a day to do whatever she pleased. Yeah, girl. Do your thing. Get your Thursday on.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Alxprit posted:

Scents and Sensei-bility is another all-timer episode for me. So many good lines.

It's a good one:

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

I think what makes it work is that there's no designated punching bag among the Smith's, pretty much every member is just as likely to be dealing out the abuse as they are to be receiving it

It definitely works better as a result. I haven't watched Family Guy since season 2 or 3 but even by then making GBS threads on Meg was pretty tiresome.

I think the a great example of this is the episode where the family roasts Roger and then each other, pretty much spells it out while still being loving hilarious: "Stan you have the undeserved ego of Jeremy Piven, the annoying self-righteousness of Sean Penn, and the unbearable hypocrisy of Rush Limbaugh. What I'm trying to say is, you're almost as bad a person as Rachel Ray."

Levin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 7, 2024

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Started season one on a whim and while it's far from perfect there's still gems to be found early on:

Also, I forgot the opening intro gag started off different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Is there a writer or writing team that is prolific when it comes to American Dad episodes like Swartzwelder was for The Simpsons?