Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MaxPowers posted:

Seriously where do I play with goons

Just leave port in your fishing boat and contact a goon recruiter with your current location. They will meet you to handle the recruitment process in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Extra posted:

Some day MMO developers will learn it is possible to create economics based sustainable MMOs that aren't called EvE. I suppose the current business model of cashing in on initial sales then throwing games onto life support isn't a terrible idea though.

Creating a sustainable economic model in an MMO is easy, you just have to make poo poo be destroyed/consumed so that there is a need for constant production and resource gathering. In EVE ships and equipment are lost, and fuels and ammunition are expended. This means that there is a constant demand for goods of varying levels of quality/expense, and you don't remove yourself from the market just by obtaining something really rare/expensive. In everything else (like Archeage) if you build the MEGA SWORD, well that's it. You'll never need another MEGA SWORD because you'll always have this one, and you have zero use for anything lower in quality than the MEGA SWORD.

This isn't some big secret that only EVE figured out, they're just the only ones with the balls to do it and the fanbase that will accept it. If anyone else even thinks about doing it then the gaming babbys of the world will let out such wails of agony at the thought of losing something in a video game that Obi Wan Kenobi will think a planet exploded.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Have you seen warplots?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

you make bad posts hth

Doesn't he know what's happening in Syria?

You'd think he'd improve his posts to show support. But no, he doesn't care.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

i might do something more than log in to milk my cows when 1.7 releases

but thats because therell be some more stuff to do

How can you think about milking virtual cows while the revolution still struggles?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This thread two weeks ago: "man it's so hard to get land this is ridiculous!" every couple posts

This thread now: "hey I'm giving away land who wants it" every couple posts

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sieges man, how do they work?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Imp incursions into MMO HMO are the opposite of castle sieges.

The defenders always lose.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tanreall posted:

We can only hope it serves as a lesson to future MMO development.

It definitely served as a lesson for future MMO development. The lessons is "jesus christ these idiots will pay for anything so let's ride this gravy train as far as it goes".

Every time a game rips people off with outrageous practices and makes bank doing it that makes future developers more likely to do the same thing, not less.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DarkStryke posted:

one of the worst pump and dump poo poo games I've ever seen

Do they even make MMOs that don't fit thisdescription anymore? It seems like every MMO that has come out in forever just totally sucks. The closest to not sucking that MMOs seem to get nowadays is a game that could have been good but wasn't because some dumb bullshit got in the way. Like how Warhammer Online had a pretty decent experience held back at every turn by idiotic management, or how SWTOR had a bunch of cool class stories but since it was stuffed into a loving MMO you had to play a Bioware RPG in the lamest way possible. The best case scenario for new MMOs these days is that whatever hot loving garbage they release at launch eventually gets brought up to the level of "ok I guess" after two years of patching and a F2P conversion.

Like I honestly don't know if any good MMO has come out since WoW. How does a whole genre fail that badly?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shy Farting Man posted:

Warhammer Online immediately came to mind for me, too. That game had such ridiculous potential but was released only half finished with so many empty, non-working features, and they never even attempted to fix it. They just waited for the license to expire because they knew it would, and only released 'patches' every 6 months.

I wonder if we'll ever get a good post mortem for them like we did for Lucas Arts. It would probably be a good read.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

angerbot posted:

I think it's the World of Darkness MMO and get all excited

You know they finally pulled the plug on that officially, right?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

If it makes you feel better it was being made by CCP so it probably would have been hot garbage anyway.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm thinking that maybe having a MMO handle a bunch of important data client side is not a good idea.

I think they shouldn't have done that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I have never played this game but if they lost all data in some hilarious server catastrophe then I'll sign up a (free) account to give it a go. Having a brand new server without the usual gaggle of immediate post-release idiots could be fun.

I've been waiting forever for EVE to reset or for EVE 2 to come about, but I don't think either of those events will happen in my lifetime.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Evil_Greven posted:

That's one of the few reasons I could see for them not discussing the extreme downtime.

"Oh God everything is hosed what do we do? WHAT DO WE DO?"

"Let's just abandon the whole game because idiots already gave us millions of dollars"

"lol"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Angela Christine posted:

Whatever happened hit the NA and EU servers at the same time. Three of the EU servers have been down for 32 hours now. The AC failing in texas couldn't do anything to the servers in europe.

Just wait until it's revealed that the NA and EU servers are in the same location.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Archeage is for stable normal people, not servers.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It seems that for the first time the servers, not the players, have realized that the only winning move is not to play.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

Besides crippling server issues, what else is bad about the game?

sword_man.xmas posted:

the hack protection on archeage was truly atrocious, all i really need to say is that buffs and current player hp were handled client side

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Charles Bukowski posted:

So I like a lot of the people I've played with in AA, I hope see some of you again with the next game we play. Grithok's people are pretty drat cool.

Yeah are any free to play MMOs coming out next month?

Can I foolishly spend hundreds of dollars on them right now?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Warframe is good. The servers are always up, not spending money doesn't mean you're a second class citizen, and nobody can steal your space dog with hacks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ruffz posted:

Unless it's them giving me cash to cover all the money I spent on this game, it won't be "generous" enough in my eyes.

ruffz posted:

Logged into Aranzeb

Addiction is a hell of a sad thing. Even when this man realizes he plays a lovely game he can't stop.

Also The Secret World sounds like one of those games that would have made a lot more sense as just a regular loving game but got shoehorned into an MMO because somebody heard that World of Warcraft made a lot of money.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xexre posted:

See also: people that own 10+ plots of land.

You might say they're the landed elite.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Deki posted:

My Korean buddy who rightfully tried to keep me from playing Archeage swears up and down that literally every major Korean MMO on the market has the same issues that plague Archeage. They're all apparently shoddily coded pay to win fests.

This is basically the case for most Korean and Chinese gaming in general.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Honestly even for a lovely game issuing a chargeback is a little crazy I think. A chargeback is justified when someone failed to deliver a product or otherwise clearly reneged on their end of the bargain. The servers being down for one weekend unexpectedly is not failure to deliver. The game being bad is not failure to deliver.

If you want to protect your money from bad game companies then I suggest not spending $150 on game that isn't out, has "P2W MMO" written all over it, and will be free to try when it comes out anyway. Do that instead next time.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 2, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well at least you learned your lesson so good on you. We've all been suckered into buying a bad game at least once. It's the people who will go on from this to purchase the next Lame MMO Of The Month every month that encourage lovely games to keep being made.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

snodig posted:

What did you spend $150 on? I'm confused.

The Silver pre-order package was $150. It was the #1 seller on Steam for a bit, a lot of people spent money on it. There was also a Bronze package for $50 and a Gold package for some dumb amount that was too high.

All the stuff in the packages was the normal poo poo you'd expect. Varying amounts of premium time, cash shop currency, special snowflake outfits, stuff like that. You also got in on the "head start" for a few days which probably swayed way too many people.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 2, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

wtfmoses posted:

Guys your "trolls" and "poo poo posts" are some how preventing people from posting seriously on the offsite and this is a VERY BIG DEAL. Please stop. It's christmas.

He calls the game terrible in his post, he's a troll!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

himurak posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that all the posters who still post here are on my ignore list.

Why do you have to go out on a limb for this, can't you tell? Is the page full of ignored posts or not?

Also everything you else you posted is a transparent attempt at forcing a new conversation because it's the MMO equivalent of "how's the weather?". Oh, MMO players should use buffs when raiding? Hot tip you got there! Hey I also heard that when in PvP you should turn your character with the mouse instead of the arrow keys on the keyboard. It's a lot faster and more precise that way!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
himurak is Too East Too Furrious about MMO HMO moderation!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What "cool stuff" is in the Korean version but not the western version?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ThndrShk2k posted:

Aren't dwarves out there?
Totally roll one of those.

If Archeage had dwarves and orks ripped right out of Warhammer I think that would be an improvement.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Hey guys we should discuss this!"

*posts patch notes without any commentary or discussion whatsoever*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
himurak couldn't take it anymore and suicide bombed the server.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Looking forward to Black Desert fresh after experiencing Archeage is completely retarded and also exactly the kind of behavior I'd expect from MMO players. Anyone who is already getting excited for it deserves to be parted from whatever stupid amount of money they blow on alpha access for it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I like how people upset about the state of this thread just pop in and say "man it would be great if we actually talked about the game!" then don't talk about the game at all. Maybe if you want to talk about the game then you should just loving do it? Did that ever occur to you?

It's the posting equivalent of gathering up your roommates and saying "guys we should really get around to cleaning this apartment!" and then immediately sitting your rear end down on the couch to play video games without any further action or comment.

Edit: oh so you don't even give a poo poo about discussing the game you just wanted to sell your poo poo. loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GrannyW posted:

It is dick move, made by a group too weak to hit us in battle, but not a great dick move. Because it really missed the mark and hit the wrong place. Instead of weakening us, a group that was leaving game soon, it instead will keep us in there long enough to f'them over. They have a medium sized guild, probably 100 or so members. We have 20. Our 5 PVPers basically rip them apart in any encounter where they've purpled on us. Over and over. And now our best PVPers are coming back to play with the food for a few weeks. If this person or guild had bothered to really do their homework they would have
1.) known about her situation,
2.) known where the true guild resources were, and
3.) known that the true guild resources were in the hands of the people that were pwning them -- they got peanuts compared to what was available and they got it from the wrong people.

In what way are you going to "f'them over"? Is it something besides beat them in instanced arena matches that mean nothing to anybody?

• Locked thread