Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Morglon posted:

If you've ever used the auction house for selling you might have noticed how when you're listing an item it sets itself for the lowest amount it's on sale for by default. People try to take advantage of that by listing one of those items for half of what it's worth or less trying to snipe things other people put up without checking. This almost never happens. What that means for you though is that if you have two minutes to spare you can get the materials for say Gweonid Dyed Feathers for half off just by buying the single items those people list and will keep relisting for a while before they catch on. This works for a bunch of stuff that's used a bunch and while it's not a ton of money it's still some and messes with people so I do it as much as I can.

Oh, also it's 1 labor they have to use for every item I buy.

I caught onto this scam as soon as I noticed that things like Milk and Lemons would be going for less than half of their normal rate. With anything that seems abnormal I take 10 seconds per item and make sure the rate for large stacks lines up with the quick listing amount. In other news, I've hit the loving RNG jackpot and have got 2 Thunderstrucks in the last 24 hours from my Solzreed farms. Now to decide if I want to grind out the 250 gildas for a fishing boat, or get a farm wagon after farming some Auroria mats next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Also, really hoping that server going up is timely on 11/4. I have 4 thatched I need to put down, and I'll be bummed if I miss it.

It's already awesome enough that they're opening Auroria on a Tuesday, so the competition will be maybe half as much as it would be on the weekend. I'm hoping they turn it on at like 10am PST so I can drop at least 2 thatched plots up there.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

You can't place anything until a castle is actually claimed in that zone afaik.

Anyone looking to play land baron will need to know when and where a guild is gonna claim.

Ah well that's dumb. I thought you could just drop your plots, and then hope your guild is the one that claims that slice of land (or the guild that does, doesn't set the tax rate at something ridiculous).

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Is that the pedo pirate guild?

Also known as the "but it didn't happen ina merica" guild

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Anyone know if the High Power Engine (used in Farm Wagons) is still going to require a Delphinad ingot? The only information I can find about those ingots is they required Nui Tears, so I figure they've been replaced by something else. I'm trying to get all of the non-Auroria mats together prior to Tuesday so I can hopefully get my wagon built next week.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Hopefully I'm wrong for the sake of people who still have no land, but I think the time to claim land was the moment the servers came up for early access. I have a feeling that any land in Auroria is going to go extremely quickly if it's not in an area where it can be demolished by the castle owner. I don't fully understand how land even works up there, from what I can gather there's land inside a tower's area of influence that can be demolished at will by the guild that owns the tower, and then there's other land outside the AOI which is what people will be gunning for. I don't think you can even drop anything in a zone until the tower is claimed. I'm sure any land inside the AOI will be reserved for fortifications and properties for king spergs.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 31, 2014

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'd have to think a bit more deeply about the statistics of this, but my gut feeling is that, if you always see the thunderstruck event occur at the same stage, 25 is a plenty big enough sample size to conclude that it will always be that way.

One of my thunderstrucks this week came at the very first growth point, less than a couple hours after planting the Cedar. I planted it, hosed off for a while, then came back to my land and it was thunderstruck.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

So for some reason I found myself reading Reddit while looking for information on Auroria. Is it true that Auroria mineral water only comes in the form of a trade pack which has to be hauled back to wherever you planted your Archeum trees? I was expecting it would be just like regular water and go straight into your bags, then you could grow Archeum trees anywhere. I'd expect it to be a gigantic pain in the rear end to grow Archeum trees if this is accurate information, unless you have land in Auroria and even then it's 24/7 pvp so good luck getting a trade pack through safely. If Archeum logs are going to be hell to get, and priced sky high on the AH then I'm gonna have to rethink my plans to get a Farm Wagon with my 2 TS trees.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

balistafreak posted:

Yes, this was done to ensure that archeum trees are the sole domain of people on Auroria, thus making that land more valuable.

That being said it won't be hard for large groups to get their trees farmed and their water hauled. It can't be any harder than a Freedich run.

Also if you ever go to Rookborne on the east, large groups do trade pack runs with caravans of mixed carts and donkeys all the time during war/unrest to get in at a good percentage, unlike the west which insist on only carting during peace.

Christ. So in other words, I should look forward to paying 50g per Archeum log then. Unless I miraculously get land in Auroria, which I don't expect to happen.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

balistafreak posted:

You have two thunderstruck TREES and you're complaining about 50g per archeum log?

It'll be a one-time purchase for you, so it's not going to be a huge deal.

True, I'm a big whining babby. I'd guess I'd make back the money spent on those logs within a week if I'm able to upgrade the wagon to 6 slots. I'm just stingy about spending gold since my income is fairly small. The vast majority of my land is growing trees 24/7 after I got my first t-struck.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

With this latest post from Trion about the Auroria patch, I have no idea what the mats for a Farm Wagon are going to be. They make it sound like it'll just take a Farm Cart plus Flaming Logs. If that's the case and it doesn't need 2 thunderstrucks anymore, that's kinda awesome and terrible at the same time. Terrible because everyone that already had a Farm Cart will have a Wagon, and trade pack values are going to constantly be low.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Kimsemus posted:

...you still need the thunderstruck to make the original cart, so price should be normal.

I'm aware of that, but the difference between the farm cart mats (1 log) and the old farm wagon mats (2 trees) is over 2000 gold so I thought it was too good to be true. I'll probably end up just selling both of my trees and buying a single log for the cart. Since a lot of goons already have fishing boats, it's pretty pointless for me to build one so I don't really have any use for the trees anymore.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm curious how many people sold their trees after Trion's post last night? It sounded pretty clear that you didn't need trees anymore, but something didn't seem right about that so I held onto my trees. I can only imagine what the official forums look like right now in response to this.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm still planning to make a farm wagon, so either way I'll wait until Tuesday to see what the finalized plans require. I haven't yet seen a Trion post listing all of the mats. Pubbies on the forums are predicting thunderstruck prices will double next week, that seems a bit extreme but I'm sure they'll go up somewhat. I went ahead and bought a TS log for the farm cart anticipating a huge bump in prices.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 1, 2014

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

ThndrShk2k posted:

Found it and edited my previous post

People don't seem to think that's the full list of mats though. The solid shaft supposedly requires the 2 TS trees and 1 sunridge ingot, then the high power engine needs the flaming logs in addition to silver/gold/archeum ingots. For 4 wheels you needed 8 archeum logs and 2 sturdy ingots. I'm not sure how you'd get all of those components out of just 2 TS and some flaming logs.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

It's not supposed because it's craftable now and required for fishing boats.

Ah weird, I thought I searched for it in the vocation folio and nothing came up, but I see it now. Trion could clear up this confusion if they'd simply post the exact material list for the wagon, but it's almost like they're gonna force people to wait until Tuesday to see it.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just curious, but have you worked out the break-even point for those things? I got my first TS this week (:homebrew:) so finally built my cart, and have been thinking a little about this. Here are some totally back-of-the-envelope numbers.

Farm cart:

Estimated profit per run: 24gp (3 packs, less eco fuel, mats, etc)
Cost of farm cart mats: 450gp (very roughly, 300 for a log, 50-60 for a plan, plus some other stuff)

450/24 = 19 runs to break even

Farm wagon:

Estimated profit per run: 40gp (5 packs, less eco fuel, mats, etc)
Estimated cost: 3000gp? 4000gp? (2400 just for TS trees, gently caress knows for all the other mats)

4000/40 = 100 runs to break even

Or, put another way, if you're using your cart to grind gold for the wagon, 4000/24 = 167 runs.

Each run takes what, 20 minutes or so? So your wagon wouldn't even turn a profit until you'd spent 30 hours or so just running packs. And if you're just grinding it out with the cart, you're looking at more like 40 hours. If you're trucking for the sake of trucking, it's worthwhile. If you're just trucking a few hours a week, it's only worthwhile if you think you'll still be playing the game half a year from now.

I don't count the price of the thunderstruck trees, since they came from my farms and I have no clue whatsoever how many trees I had to plant to get those 2 so it's impossible to get an accurate number. I'm building a wagon rather than just selling the trees because I honestly don't know what I'd do in this game for fun as a non-tryhard if I'm not running packs. I figure I'd do at least 3 runs a day, so that's 120-180g profit a day depending on if I have a 4 pack or 6 pack wagon. At 4 packs plus one on my back, it would take me less than a month to hit the 3000g mark. With a 6 pack wagon, less than 3 weeks. And after a while I could afford to buy up properties in zones that would make for good pack staging.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I have a couple housing items that I placed really high up on the outside of my house, one of which is on the roof. Is there any way to recover them?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm ready for tomorrow with thatched plans and 2 cottage plans. Holding out a bit of hope that I can place one or all of them. How is everyone getting up there tomorrow?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Taran posted:

In Alpha, there were portals from Marianople (and I assume City of Towers?) to Calmlands in Auroria, but those only worked 1/4 of the time (6AM to Noon in-game time). Not sure if they'll bring those back, or force us all to have an exciting boat ride north!

I think riding north on a Cutter with goons would make for an interesting adventure, as long as we don't get slaughtered the second we make landfall in Auroria. I wish the information wasn't so spotty about nearly everything in this game. I haven't got a drat clue what to expect tomorrow other than I'll hope somebody claims one of the lodestones before US primetime so I can maybe get land outside of the area of influence.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Lothar posted:

I am in EyeBeat in game.

I just wanted to chime in and say the last few days I played with goonsquad has been awesome. A bunch of pirating and taking over boats with Balista a couple of nights ago. Last night we killed fishing boats with werkwerk and balista.

The drama that everyone keeps bringing up is over and not even being brought up on comms anymore.

I will admit I thought about leaving to join another guild because of the castle thing but I decided to stay based on the last week of having a "gently caress everything" attitude and killing other guilds. It really makes the game a lot more fun and exciting.

I can't tell you how many times we came across other guilds on sea and we couldn't do anything because we were allied. Now it is just KILL THEM. Really fun!

Some of the most fun I've had in MMOs with goons is when we weren't tied down, like a castle would do to us in this game. Just roaming with a bunch of people and loving other peoples days up has always been the peak of MMO entertainment for me.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

we had a ton of spergs, but they kept to themselves in true libertarian fashion and then hosed off to wicked

lol

Yeah I was gonna say, most of those types gquit around the time SCT went pirate.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I lost interest in goons building a castle around the time that I saw it was planned to protect some other guild and let them get a castle before we got ours. Also when there was talks of goons getting multiple castles. Both were atrocious ideas.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I've seen predictions about how long it'll take for the first guild to get a castle, ranging from 90 minutes to as much as 8 hours if all anyone does is fight each other. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. If it goes much past 5pm PST I probably won't get any land up there since I have to sleep for work. My struggle :negative:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

This thread is sure quiet considering a major update is expected to drop in the next hour. Are we gonna be on Mumble to try to coordinate getting goons some land?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

pppfffftthahahthahahhhaha

Yeah what was I thinking, goons don't organize in this game.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Before I started getting repeatedly ganked, I used Auroria mineral water on 14 blazing trees and got exactly zero flaming logs, so that's pretty cool. I guess it'll be a month until I get my farm wagon at this rate.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Can't get on the server before I head to work, welp. I got a nice thatched plot down in Marcala on the edge of a cliff on the coast, hopefully the servers will be fixed by the morning and there'll be some effort to start getting people's houses built. Do any goons have the 8x8 crafting stations up in Marcala yet?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Jesus.. what the hell did they break yesterday. I logged in without issue and then got the "gods have disconnected you" notice within 5 minutes. I totally don't blame landless goons that are quitting the game after not getting land yesterday in Auroria. It was total madness seeing the entire housing areas fill up seemingly within 30 seconds. Without the heads up from FC that they were claiming a lodestone soon, I probably wouldn't have got any new properties. I got a thatched in Marcala that I have no idea how I'm going to build unless we have merchant ship runs going or a nearby crafting station.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Has Trion said when Wagon Upgrade Tickets (the item that lets you upgrade your 4-slot wagon to a 6-slot hauler) will be in the cash shop?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Carol Pizzamom posted:

am i doing this right. helk;p

This post, best post

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

This whole "I'm unimportant in ArcheAge, but I'll ban you in some other MMO where I'm a neckbeard personality because you hosed with my fish" thing is just too funny.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

I wonder if he uses Taylor Swift albums as lures

:pusheen:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The vast majority of my land (2 large farms, 1 thatched, 1 cottage, 1 small farm) was dedicated to Thunderstruck farming after I randomly got 2 of them inside 24 hours. Now I'm going to tear down all of the trees and figure out what to put in all of that space. I'm thinking about dropping 15 honey larders and spacing the times apart so I get 5 every day for my farm wagon. I assume that everyone is going to have a farm wagon all of a sudden, so regular trade packs are never going to be at 130% anymore. I guess I'll put cow pens at each corner of my thatched plot.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Kimsemus posted:

the poop market crashed as well. I'm considering full honey production as it's relatively passive and yields reasonable profits (right now).

Christ. Hmm... I guess it's time to invest in some beehives, but they're expensive as hell to get started if you want several of them.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

So I just realized I'm all of a sudden really bored with this game now that I don't have the anticipation of possibly getting a thunderstruck when I log in. Now I feel like I have too much land because I couldn't even figure out what to throw down to fill it all up after getting rid of my ~40 trees. I also had the realization that it'll take forever to save up the gold for bungalow plans (I don't want to grind out the gilda) now that I don't have a chance of a 1000-1200 gold tree appearing on my farms. The "don't-give-a-gently caress-itis" just hit me like a ton of bricks.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Finndo posted:

Pardon the interruption with a quick game question... is there any benefit to auroria property at all?

Not really, it was just new land opening up and everyone was still frothing at the mouth about getting more properties, or in some cases their first property. If I had known Thunderstrucks were going to crash so hard due to the pay2win RNG boxes, I may have skipped the Auroria land rush entirely. Now I have another property with a poo poo-ton of usable farming space and have no idea what to do with it, I'll probably try to flip it for a couple thousand gold and maybe one of my Solzreed farms for 1500, then buy the next Bungalow design on the AH.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

If I'm trying to transfer a large farm from my alt to my main (same account) and it has stuff growing on it, does that stuff disappear during the transfer?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm way more casual with MMOs than I used to be, thanks to having 2 kids home with me all day. But the pattern I think I see is that the same leadership will get recycled from one MMO to the next, when we should instead be considering new leadership in the weeks prior to a game's release.

Have you been playing another game with a guy that's not in a leadership role, but puts in more than his fair share of work for the benefit of a goon guild while showing no signs of burnout? Recommend him for a leadership role in an upcoming MMO.

Perhaps the same people getting power and the best gear/items handed to them first in several games isn't the right way to go. If we hadn't gone with a guild leader to begin with that swept pedo poo poo under the rug to allow his friend in, maybe the guild would be in better shape today. All of the threadshitting was what people deserved for allowing certain people to become leaders in this game.

Also, the amount of whining from fishing goons about getting engaged in PvP in a PvP game was just loving ridiculous. They all left the guild and probably get killed even more while fishing now (if they're even playing the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Truga posted:

My prediction is that in about a year or so AA will be a glorious game to play (it's new, some things don't work perfectly yet, go figure), and a year of headstart in an MMO is huge :v:

That'd be nice, but it's hard to look into the future when all a lot of us can see is the login count going down every single day. We've dropped from nearly 200 people online on weekday mornings shortly after launch to barely above 30 right now. The population numbers were bleeding prior to the Auroria release last week, but the Auroria/Thunderstruck debacle seemed to open the floodgates for people quitting. The new WoW expansion coming out today is certainly another blow, since I recall seeing several goons saying AA was just something to do until the WoD launch. I've experienced so many MMO collapses over the years and I hope this game recovers, but poor decisions made by XL/Trion aren't helping right now.

• Locked thread