Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Liking the new OP, super-pumped that things are progressing toward for-reals Open Beta

edit; also we have in-game trading so goons looking for commons should have no trouble getting a playset of Set 1 (we are still waiting for Set 2 to come out which should happen soon after for-reals Open Beta)

Grim fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The reason I got into Hex is because it's tactically complex like a real TCG should be - I stopped playing magic ~10 years ago because I had no money but I loved the gameplay, Hex scratches that same itch for me (while also being cheaper + having mechanics you could never do with a physical tcg + etc)

Get in, choose a starter deck (I really like the Orc starter but you can check them all out here; https://hextcg.com/starter-decks/), play some games against the AI to get the jist of things, come back and tell us what you think :)

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
well the digital only mechanics like putting cards into your opponents deck + shuffling more cards into your own deck + permanent buffs + etc set it apart from MTG, though I agree you get the same feel of the sequence of play / etc - if you play(ed) Magic then you will be pretty familiar with a lot of the stuff in this game already (though there are still differences that catch people out like Crush vs Trample / double-damage mechanics / etc)

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Might want to tell people what the decklists are for the starters and/or alternate suggested cheap decklists they can buy instead for the same cost.

Here is the card list for the starters, also I'm pretty sure you don't even need to buy them from the store in order to unlock the training mode - just have the right card in a deck to start it

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The opinions I've heard about the lawsuit is that there is no way Wizards can get an injunction against CZE, the most likely outcome is either a settlement or some amount of damages - the earliest we'll hear anything really substantial will be in 2016 so I'm not super fussed because I get to draft in the meantime

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea my understanding is that everyone (even those of us who have been playing since the beginning of Alpha) starts with the same rating, and I don't think it takes tournament games into account for this either so all my drafting wouldn't stop me coming up against a new player

I haven't heard any plans about fixing this being a priority, the only things people are counting on right now are 1) Open Beta 2) Arena 3) Set 2

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea, CZE are very generous with compensation when poo poo goes wrong

I was reading this article earlier today and apparently MTGO pulls this kind of crap all the time where they will just revert a tournament that is most of the way through; much better to compensate and keep everything moving in my opinion

(obviously there would be no way to properly compensate when real-life prizes are on the line which is the thrust of the article, but Hex doesn't do physical :))

edit: also yes one-way trading is in which for Goons / friends should be fine for now, if you want to trade with pubs better to do it on the Auction House anyway

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This website has (out-of-date) AH price data for all the cards so you can get the jist of what kind of price-ranges most rares / legendaries / etc go for - just click on each card and it should be in the bottom-right

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Anything over 200plat is worth a pack and probably worth picking up.

Jadim is definitely worth raredrafting. He also wins games if he hits the table.

Truth

When closed beta started and we were all able to start building our collections I would rare-draft everything I saw and consequently had something like a 50% win rate in the first round and more often than not would scrub out after that (missing out on prizes / etc)

Now that we have an Auction House and direct one-way trading your best way to build a collection is to grab good value cards but otherwise just play to win.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mikujin posted:

E3: Round 2 I was up against a robots deck that got absolutely insane draws in games 1 and 3 (both games he took mulligans!), to my incredibly anemic flood-out draws. Game 1 he got me the turn before I got him, game 3 he had all his control and a turn 4 Volcannon, I didn't even manage to hit him once. Game 2 was the game he didn't get T1 Gearsmith into Volcannon, and I demolished him. Still, yowza.

Yea, that's a good draft tip for new players - Volcannon wins games. Not every game (just see this sweet rear end spreadsheet that Afgad put together ages ago) but it is a drat fine card / archetype that we will see less of going into the future

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MrBims posted:

This is exhilarating; 4-0 in my first draft, waiting on final matches, and got Xentoth's Inquisitor and Crown of the Primals in my own first two packs so the cost is already more than made up. First opponent died on his own turns twice from attacking Darkspires at low health, second opponent forfeited twice as his armies just couldn't keep up with spiders and unblockables.

Nice :)

Did the Ivory Pawn end up doing any work for you? I find that unless I have a Righteous Paladin it doesn't help me - but then when my opponents play it they always get it early and getting 10+ health out of it

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Two drafts I entered today I ran into the Pass Priority bug - in a way it's good because I get to keep my picks & winnings and will get refunded a draft ticket in a couple of days when support get back to work, but I would have liked to see how those matches turned out though

Also I got a Portensio today! Reasonable price from a guy on the official forums, now all I gotta do is find acceptable prices on 2x AA Ozawa!

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

There was an Ozawa up for 2501 bid earlier, but looks like the auction ended. Cheapest I've ever seen it. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $15 for one so I'll probably never own them myself.

Yea I saw it up for a bid of 2503 which to me is reasonable, I worked out I had between 12 and 14 hours until it ended but then about 6 hours later some idiot had bid it up to 2754 - I don't have time to stay up late loving around with people who are gonna over-bid on a card that will (eventually) be available again as part of a special event thing

Also;

MrBims posted:

Drafted Angel of Dawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts

Edit: And my first opponent had Vampire King. Jesus Christ.
:angel:
Yea I mean I think it's 100% confirmation bias but I have been seeing a lot more Legendary cards in drafts recently; I think it's about a 1/9 chance, then divide that by the number of actually playable cards - and yet every second game I've seen (or cracked :getin:) a Vampire King or Argus / etc

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So I heard that Colin's vanity card for Set 2 is a 2 cost dude who gains a random Inspire ability, could be sick if he gets Spellshield

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately the tickets are non-transferable, but they almost certainly will be usable in Set 2 drafts so I'm sure people won't feel too bad in the "soon" future (I'm dying to find out how much longer we gotta wait!)

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they picked a Volcannon :clint:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Istvun posted:

I see so many guard dogs on the other side of the board. So many! Those and shield trainers.

Every time my opponents play a Guard Dog it does a lot of work for them, but still I wouldn't pick it unless in dire need of 2 drop troops - every bad card is good in the right context but I would rather not be stuck in that context because I picked bad cards*

Also yea the -1/-1 gem has worked for a month or so now I think? It's really hard trying to keep straight what works vs what's bugged vs how a card used to work back in alpha / etc

(*please don't argue about "bad cards" for the next 5 pages I beg you)

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mikujin posted:

Is there a good card manage app or something of a similar nature? I'd like to scope out what I'm missing from set 1 as I start to use the AH, since I've got ~200 packs I'll be slowly starting to put up, in addition to tons and tons of rares.

If you sign in on Hex TCG Browser you can set up a collection and want-list, I've been using it to keep track of what I have to trade and things I still need (if you have a couple of AA Ozawa and still need Set 1 rares / legendaries then let me know! I'm too lazy to use the Auction House anymore!)

Grim fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 7, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Cory is answering questions on the official forums;

quote:

We would like to release SET 2 in November, we currently tracking under 10 bugs, we expect to find more, BUT it is getting very close.

We would like to release Arena in December, this is a bit more risky but we have been hitting our milestones and it is looking good.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

I am legitimately surprised. This is my legitimately surprised face.

If we actually get Set 2 in November then that means the November VIP constructed event is going to be pretty weird - might be not-boring enough to actually join in!

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea that article was released before drafting was so it was being based on assumption from other games - also I believe the original article had semi-competitive with a 4-3-2-2 payout which I imagine would be worse than swiss

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've been putting together a Chimes deck myself to screw around with in case Set 2 isn't out in time for this months VIP constructed, except I ended up creating a kind of Midnight Judgement frankenstein instead

It uh... it's not good, but it's been pretty fun while I was testing it out!

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=10284

quote:

Champion: Kranok

Troops
3x Living Totem
3x Lixil, the Deathless Gem
1x Loregoyle
4x Ascetic Aspirant
3x Xentoth's Inquisitor [Prime Blood Orb of Cruelty]

Spells
2x Adaptable Infusion Device
2x Call The Grave
4x Repel
2x Soul Marble
3x Circle of Preservation
1x Pact of Pain
4x Relentless Corruption
1x Secret Laboratory
2x Judgement
1x Chimes of the Zodiac
1x Resurrection

Resources
6x Blood Shard
11x Diamond Shard
1x Ruby Shard
1x Sapphire Shard
3x Shards of Fate
1x Wild Shard

Reserves
3x Crazed Rummaging
4x Reversion
4x Life Siphon
2x Midnight Shepherd
2x Necessary Sacrifice
Everything is built around Relentless Corruption & Ascetic Aspirant, with plenty of dumb concessions made along the way

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Here is Stovetop posted:

So my client patched today, supposedly to fix the priority bug, and whelp, not fixed woo woo!
That patch actually got delayed AGAIN because there was some other bugs they found it introduced, the small patch that went out today probably didn't actually do anything from what I can tell

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've been checking out the Gameforge pages for Hex because I am a nerd with nothing better to do, they don't have any useful information or anything but man some of the graphics are pretty slick; http://en.hex.gameforge.com/game.html#/

Also apparently they give out platinum codes for stupid poo poo like brain-teasers; http://board.hex.gameforge.com/board28-english-section-en/board130-competition-and-contests/560-mastermind-how-to-play/

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

The board crashed, so I guess too many people are trying to game the system?

Probably, you can still get to the actual game through here though; http://mastermind.shardsoffate.eu/

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So because I'm gonna want to open all the boosters when Set 2 hits I think I'll jump into Sealed rather than go straight for Draft like my first instinct - swiss sealed only has a 200 plat entry fee (plus the packs obviously but I already want to open those) and guarantees at least 1 booster prize (so worst case it's the same as buying a pack from the store), and if the scheduled sealed fires it could potentially be a net positive (I haven't seen scheduled sealed queues firing off recently but Set 2 almost guarantees more players right?)

Grim fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 7, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
They aren't currently tracking stats on individual cards but I see what you mean about it not using the same copies in different decks

I think it makes total sense for them to track these stats on a per-card level because it's a way to add value to the experience - in real life I can get a card signed, I can foil out a deck / sell those cards off to someone else trying to do the same, etc

Being digital-only means they can do all kinds of stuff you couldn't in a physical TCG, but unless they take care the game could lose out on some things as well (like right now bluffing / any kind of head-game based play is really difficult)

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I wish I had a good answer in my head for whether or not to mulligan when I only have two resources in hand.

For me it depends if I am on the draw or not, but I tend to make a lot of greedy decisions about keeping hands

I asked the Hex community manager if tournaments will have a Set 1+2 prize split when the new set is out; I don't remember from long ago experience with MTG but it looks like that's how its done in mtgo so I just kind of assumed it would

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Honestly I'm kinda hoping set 2 doesn't drop until after the VIP tournament just because the meta blowing wide open the week before the vip tourney will be crazy.
Honestly I hope it does because it will mean actually interesting decks, though if people were bitching about bugs in the last VIP tournament I can't imagine the kind of poo poo-fit they would throw over inevitable bugs in a new set

Hah, if they release the new set right before the VIP tournament there are going to be some CRAZY prices on things.
Also this :getin:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You just need a Gameforge forums account and if you solve it you will be sent a PM with a code to redeem in-game

I think if people try to abuse it by making a ton of accounts to get around the 1-guess-per-hour thing then they are likely to take it down so maybe don't do that

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Looks like they've implemented a global 24 hour limit on how many prizes they are giving out so it's not like an infinite free money faucet, but yea if CZE can cut Gameforge out of payment processing later on down the line that would be a very good business decision imo - not sure how likely it is though as Hex runs on their servers...

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If you try to make a ton of small purchases they flag your account and make you verify some stuff, it's some kind of anti-money laundering thing

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I think it looks really cool and it's obviously one of the best rares in Set 1, but I also think most cards are over-valued right now (I'm sure this game is going to be great in the long run but people are trying to get MtG prices for poo poo without MtG levels of players)

I definitely think that it is one of the cards that is going to keep its relative level of value no matter what happens going forward with Set 2 / Crafting / etc, it's only a gamble if you pay too much for them

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea I imagine a shift in prices for sure, I guess the thing for me is we really don't know what the Hexconomy™ will look like long term until we have Crafting / PvE grinding / etc so the real value of a lot of stuff to me is still questionable (motherfuckers trying to get 6k+ platinum for an AA Ozawa, 400+ for an uncommon PvE card WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT DOES YET, etc)

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It starts at 2am on a Sunday for me so I can't be bothered signing up, but I'll be cheering you guys on from the sideline at a more reasonable hour!

Also I don't think that Stoneskin currently does anything vs Relentless Corruption does it? I know from the wording it seems like it should but it would be worth testing

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
With Set 2 coming out in the middle of the week I'm not sure how I'm going to cope with all the drafting and getting up for work in the morning, but I'll try anyway :allears:

As the kind of person who has gotta catch em all I think those AA cards are great, I look forward to finding out what the collector tier AA cards are as well, and yes this dwarf is fuckin sick

Edit: "Draft and Sealed queues are all Shattered Destiny booster packs for the release celebration weekend in order to give players more new content"

Also if they keep to their schedule (don't laugh, it could happen) then that means the person who way back in August guessed closest to the actual release date for my Terrible Prize would be Captain Capitalism who guessed November 11th! only 21 days off the mark (compared to 35 days for the next-closest), congrats - you've won yourself 17 copies of the Ashahsa mercenary! The lucky door prize goes to Gross Dude - a playset of the AA Windbourne Acolyte!

Grim fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 14, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
They updated the announcement to include Prize Payouts for Second Set Celebration Weekend

quote:

Shattered Destiny Release Celebration Tournaments
The Release Celebration is 3 days long.

Release Celebration Competitive Draft Queue Rewards
Players: 8
Entry fee: 700plat or 3xSet 2 Boosters + 100 plat
Prizes:
1st = 5xSet 2 Boosters, Filk Ape AA Card, Darkspire Punisher AA Card
2nd = 3xSet 2 Boosters, Darkspire Punisher AA Card
3rd/4th = 2xSet 2 Booster, Darkspire Punisher AA Card
5th-8th = Darkspire Punisher AA Card
Gold (single elim tournaments gold is standardized: see above)
Format: Single elim.

Release Celebration Draft Queue Rewards
Entry fee: 700plat 3xSet 2 Boosters + 100 plat
Prizes:
3 wins = 3xSet 2 Boosters, Filk Ape AA Card, Darkspire Punisher AA Card, 20,000 gold
2 wins = 2xSet 2 Boosters, Darkspire Punisher AA Card, 12,000 gold
1 wins = 1xSet 2 Boosters, Darkspire Punisher AA Card, 5000 gold
0 wins = 0 packs, Darkspire Punisher AA Card, 5000 gold
Format: Swiss

Sealed Queue Second Set Celebration Rewards
Entry fee: 1,400 plat or 6xSet 2 Boosters + 200 plat
Prizes:
3 wins = 6xSet 2 Boosters, Filk Ape AA Card, Darkspire Punisher AA Card, 40,000 gold
2 wins = 4xSet 2 Boosters, Darkspire Punisher AA Card, 24,000 gold
1 wins = 2xSet 2 Boosters, Darkspire Punisher AA Card, 10,000 gold
0 wins = 0 packs, Darkspire Punisher AA Card, 10,000 gold
Format: Swiss

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Your opponent played it and it switched over to your side?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
From the official forums;

quote:

quote:

Chark, since you're reading this thread, can you please confirm whether or not draft tickets will be valid for the release weekend queues? It would be nice to know ahead of time
Yeah, these are draft queues like any other, so our intent is to allow you to use draft tickets as a method to enter the draft. The weekend is supposed to be an awesome celebration of set 2. Why would we ruin that experience for a) Either our hardest-of-core fans or b) Those who were affected by a bug in our game?

quote:

And along those lines... will we be getting our Set 2 kickstarter packs on Tuesday (or at least before the weekend)?
Our plan is to drop the KS set 2 packs right after the patch on Tuesday

So yes we can use our weekly / purple draft tickets, and also we should get our Kickstarter packs on the day of :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You've just gotta make sure each draft lasts no longer than 1 hour 26 minutes and play all 3 "celebration" days to maximize your Set 2 value!

Australian internet upload speeds suck so I won't be streaming or anything that weekend but it would be cool to chat with some fools while we're all hyped up - I remember there was an IRC server?

• Locked thread