Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Michigan didn't offer Cutcliffe. I'll buy that they asked about his interest and were told no, but there wasn't an offer out.

Does Buddy's count as a chain? That's the best one, then. I end up there every time I'm back in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Everything is pure bullshit, except for the ones from John Bacon and the Mgoblog guy, those are all really good and true

If you honestly think Michigan gave an offer to Cutcliffe, I don't know what to tell you. It's not even plausible.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

BigBoss posted:

Saying that he's the most likely candidate

That's not what he said. He said this:

AsInHowe posted:

Jim Harbaugh will be the next head coach at Michigan

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Feces Starship posted:

I haven't seen this discussed here yet - Sam Webb during the MGoBlog Roundtable on Thursday gave two lil nuggs of info that I thought were interesting:

(1) he is "very sure" that the "worst case scenario" is Les Miles, who - to his knowledge - will certainly come if asked; and
(2) Michigan has limited its list down to four guys.

We know the identity of three of those guys with good certainty:

1.) Jim Harbaugh
2.) Les Miles
3.) A Big Ten Coordinator (so that's got to be Herman, but I suppose it could be Narduzzi)
4.) ?

Who do you think that the fourth guy is? I don't think it's Mullen.

Sam Webb is full of garbage. Sam Webb's job is to pretend to know things he doesn't so he can write paywalled articles. Sam Webb has Sean Peyton on his list of plausible candidates. Ignore Sam Webb.

Michigan has definitely reached out to Mullen, among others, but nobody on the outside knows who has reciprocated interest.

If I had to guess on a list, I'd say it's Harbaugh, Miles, Mullen, and Mora, but that is a drat optimistic list. I don't believe anyone who is reporting that Miles is a lock.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

By the way, if you really need evidence at this point to disregard FootballScoop as having any legitimate sources in this search:

quote:

One name that I truly haven’t heard from sources in Michigan; but I continue to hear from coaches is Joe Moglia at Coastal Carolina. A number of coaches I have spoken with feel Moglia might just be the perfect coach to invest in Michigan football. What he has done in his short time at Coastal has been awfully impressive. Will be interesting to see if the search firm suggests the same to Hackett.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

BigBoss posted:

LSU is one of like one of the 10 HC gigs in CFB where going to Michigan wouldn't be a step up in terms of prestige. IDK why anyone would think a coach in good standing at one of those jobs would leave for Michigan...

Exactly, and especially for a guy who has already been a "candidate" twice (blown off both times). If he leaves LSU, I really have to wonder what the gently caress he's thinking. Besides pity or some weird desire to get his old program back on track? Alternatively, maybe he's sick of LSU and is ready to just up and go coach Anywhere But Here. I don't buy it.

Yeah, money, sure. That's probably the best explanation, but I'm still skeptical. Does Michigan really offer more than LSU?...

[edit: lmao Michigan is not going to pay Miles more than he's getting now, I should have looked that up before agreeing with that. Money isn't it.]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 13, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Dattserberg posted:

Some of you act like Harbaugh and Miles have no connection to the program and for them to dismiss with prejudice the Michigan job is a foregone conclusion. To think these guys wouldn't consider coming back to their alma mater and former team to bring them back from a low point in the program's history is awfully presumptuous. Especially considering you're looking at one job change that could be considered a lateral move and the other a clear downgrade but at best move back to the college ranks.

I'm not saying these two are both hot after the job but to just dismiss them both as candidates is silly. It's not like people are throwing out BB, Lombardi, and Tom Landry for the position. For some of you, don't let your disdain for Michigan get in the way of seeing that it's still a sought after job; especially with these coaches who were raised in the 70s and 80s when Michigan actually was a top 5 destination.

I'm a Michigan alum and lifelong fan, I just happen to be realistic. Take one look at MGoBoard; this fanbase has the most absurd and totally unwarranted superiority complex, even if the program hadn't been marginal to awful since 2007. I don't think either Harbaugh or Miles are outside the realm of possibility, but expectations need to be tempered.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Amazing.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I just hope he doesn't go to the loving Raiders. Bears, fine. Jets, fine. Dolphins, well, what the hell Ross? but fine.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

At Michigan, Harbaugh's already been promised full control of everything, more money than anywhere else, and pretty much anything else he'd want.

Offer me money.

Yes!

Power, too. Promise me that.

All that I have and more. Please!

Offer me anything I ask for.

Anything you want!

I want to win a Super Bowl, you son of a bitch!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

There are going to be a lot of openings, and Harbaugh has high enough stock right now to possibly have his pick of Oakland, Miami, Chicago, and NYJ. I don't think these are all terrible jobs. If he has any interest in coaching in the NFL, then I don't see why he doesn't try to gun for one of them — why would he keep jumping between the NFL and college? That doesn't make any sense to me.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I, uh, have mixed feelings about throwing $48M+ at a college football coach!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The tweet that set off the actual writers said "a friend close to the Michigan program". I don't know why Michigan would have leaked it. And the number had come up way before this, but nobody took it seriously until yesterday.

My guess is that Michigan didn't really want it leaked, but couldn't keep it under wraps any longer. I don't see it as necessarily bad for Michigan's chances, even if Harbaugh's agent leaked it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 18, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The biggest thing we've learned is that the NFL sources are very reliably full of garbage. It doesn't give us reason to believe the more optimistic Michigan sources, but we know that everyone else doesn't have a clue.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

You're really helping

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Sky Shadowing posted:

Bah, It'd be concerning but not 'wave the white flag', it'd be a Big Deal but I have faith in Dantonio to keep us trucking like we have been.

I also don't believe that, even if he does become the Head Coach, the moment a really good NFL job opened up, he wouldn't even hesitate to take it.

Please explain why Oakland, Miami, and Chicago are bad jobs.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I don't think the Raiders are the most awesome job in the league, but it's better than a lot of places. It's just weird that so many here think Michigan would just renting Harbaugh until a good NFL job comes along when he would have to turn down good NFL jobs to take Michigan in the first place.

Nothing about his history suggests he'd retire at Michigan, but if he left after a few years, it's because he's easily bored, not because a better NFL job opened up. I think it is way more likely for him to never come to Michigan in the first place than to use it as a vacation from the NFL.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I just can't fathom where that Sean Payton rumor is even coming from. It is so bad — did someone just decide to troll the hell out of a reporter? It's message board garbage at it's worst. It's conceivable that the search firm might have contacted his agent to cover all bases, but Payton isn't going to be interested in Michigan under any circumstances. How could he possibly be a target?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Eh. Even tracing the hunt back to Minnesota is a stretch. You don't need any involvement from Harbaugh to explain anything that went down up until Michigan started to sit on its butt with no football coach and a timeline that coincided with NFL Week 17,.

It's not "kabuki theatre" or "cloak and dagger conspiracy horseshit" for Michigan and Harbaugh to have an agreement in place, but to not be announcing or signing anything until after the NFL season. That is actually "standard operating procedure."

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The Kabuki theatre would be that this has all been one massive exercise for the benefit of not hurting Hokes poor feelings and that there has been a MOU signed (I absolutely don't buy that) and that Jim told them two or three weeks ago he was absolutely going to take the job.

Sure. I'm glad that we've changed your mind, since you started throwing around "Kabuki theatre" before Hoke even came up.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm not sure he's much of a jerk. He seems more like an inscrutable, hypercompetitive psychopath.

That's how I see it too. Have any of his Stanford players ever publicly ripped on him? I get the impression that people think he's nuts, but nuts in a way that's good for developing college kids and building a winning program.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

AsInHowe likely nailed it to the day while people were still sucking off FootballScoop.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I really haven't been following this whole thing, and I have a few pages to catch up on, but let's stop this crazy poo poo right here:

Harbaugh is not interested in Michigan. Period.

[edit:] Ah, sorry, still gotta catch up. Sure, Harbaugh is "considering" Michigan, but he's just really just hanging on so he can use that for negotiating power with NFL teams.

[edit 2:] Oops, still behind. Fine, rumors are heating up, maybe he's going to Michigan. But let's be honest here; Harbaugh would prefer to be in the NFL, but nobody is interested in matching that outrageous offer that Michigan gave him. Money talks, and NFL teams just don't have money to be throwing around at coaches who went to the NFC championship game three out of the past four years.

[edit 3:] Ugh, this is moving faster than I expected. Harbaugh is just using Michigan as a short-term break before heading right back to the NFL, even though the Raiders, Bears, and Dolphins (earlier in the month) were reported to be interested. He's just waiting for a better job. Like, uh, the Lions I guess.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

DJExile posted:

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/12/michigan_reached_out_to_lsu_co.html

I had my dates mixed but the fact is they've approached him at least twice, both unsuccessfully. I don't fault them for trying, mind you, but Les isn't exactly chomping at the bit to go to Michigan.

I don't think that Miles would have been a lock by any means and I don't believe the people who say that, but you and your source are wrong. Miles was under serious consideration in 2007, but was not officially offered before LSU extended him. That said, I would definitely still consider that him turning them down, because he probably would have gotten an offer if the search hadn't been a bumbling clusterfuck.

He wasn't a real candidate in 2011 and might have accepted the position then. We'll never know. He definitely did not get a chance to say no.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Regnevelc posted:

Harbaugh's yearly salary is 5M + incentives. Per Bacon from Hackett.

Maybe he did want to come back.

@Johnubacon
Jim Harbaugh told Hackett he did NOT want to be the highest paid coach in CFB, or even the Big Ten. More concerned with pay for assistants.

Oh goodness, it appears that we have to adjust the narrative again.

Um...

Jim Harbaugh has brain damage!

I dunno, anyone got anything better?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The incentives might bring it up to a maximum of $48M. We should know in a few hours.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Neodoomium posted:

Jim rules 8 seconds in

"Anybody see me trip on the way in? A lesser athlete would've gone down."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Who's got it better than us?

• Locked thread