Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Seeing as there's going to be a fair amount of news out of the Michigan athletic department for the next few months and Detroit_Dogg closed his thread which had been a convenient place for it, I figured we could use a new one to consolidate Michigan athletics news and keep it out of the aftermath threads.

Detroit_Dogg's thread, from the Shane Morris incident up to the Brandon emails.

From GoBlueWolverine:

quote:

The willingness of donors to voice their displeasure appears to be on the rise. As was mentioned on GoBlueWolverine two weeks ago, there are high ranking donors that have voiced their feelings to Schlissel during meetings over the last few months. Now comes word that some donors are planning to speak with their checkbooks.

“(Schlissel) has been told that not another penny will be given until this is resolved,” a source told GoBlueWolverine on the condition of anonymity.

Direct link to MGoBlog investigation and report on the Brandon emails: How to make friends and influence people, Dave Brandon style

Michigan alumni also upset with football ticket prices, 'corporate culture' of athletics, MLive summarizes a report from the Michigan Alumni Association that is not pretty, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibjm1MvUaSo

So bombs away with anything relevant to the ongoing nonsense in Ann Arbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

quote:

angelique ‏@chengelis

I am told by several sources there will be a 1:30 press conference at UM involving the president to discuss AD Dave Brandon

Being reported by numerous sources now.

:dance: :suspense:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Neil Armbong posted:

That lummox couldn't follow concussion protocol and played a loving concussed player then played dumb about it afterwards. How the gently caress was he not fired that week.

Seeing as Brandon would have the responsibility for firing him, why are you surprised he wasn't?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEntZUx24s8

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BigBoss posted:

I'm convinced that Bo's ghost is haunting the school. His memory is probably the worst thing that could happen to Michigan. They've spent so many years fetishizing him that they've been stuck in 1994 for the last 20 years. Even Bama moved past Bear, so why can't the Michigan institutional organization get over Bo?
If you notice, most of the time when people invoke Bo, they're not describing Bo, his team, or his way of doing things. They're actually describing Lloyd Carr and calling him Bo, and the problem lies there and not with Bo himself.

10 years of bad ADs in the '90s left the football program free to do as it wanted, causing it to turn inward and start serving itself rather than the doing what was best for the program in the long run.

Winning the MNC in 1997 resulted in a cult of personality around Carr, who tied himself to Bo. The Cult of Carr then made Carr and Bo one. Carr then lost interest in actual coaching around 2005, and was more interested in being The Coach. At that point the program was largely on autopilot, with most of the coaching coming from the seniors coaching the underclassmen up to their level.

It all blew up in 2007, and after the Oregon debacle it was literally Mike Hart and Chad Henne that took control of the team and led them the rest of the way to the Cap One Bowl win over Florida. Bill Martin recognized Carr had to go, and forcing his retirement made the Carr Cult go berserk.

The result of all that is the last seven years as the fanbase has torn itself to pieces, then reunited in its hatred of Brandon and Hoke.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Angelique Chengelis at the Detroit News is reporting that James Hackett, who played for Bo and was CEO at Steelcase, will be interim AD. Probably doesn't matter much as he won't be there for long.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Do we know if this is going to be streamed somewhere yet?

WTKA, 1050AM, plans on streaming it, as is 97.1 The Ticket.

ESPN may cover it, I'm not sure.

Edit: These guys are going to stream it: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27175341/espn-michigan-athletic-director-dave-brandon-to-resign

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 31, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Schlissel: Dave Brandon has resigned as AD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cPwcftqzgY

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Emails released on Tuesday.

Brandon chose to resign on Wednesday.

I'm sure there was no connection.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Video of presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9MrLSIqHsA

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wtftastic posted:

I guess now they'll play hockey game organ music at football games instead of something from this century.

Hockey game organ music is more Michigan State's thing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

People can figure whatever timeline they want for the start of Michigan's decline, but I am going to continue to give credit to Corey Lynch's blocked punt

34-32 forever :patriot:

The decline had already set in the season before. App State had studied our game film all spring and summer and figured out how completely predictable and uninspired the coaching was. They knew going into that game exactly how to beat us and that they would.

Losing that game exposed a lot of the dry rot that had set in with the program.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

And now the AD speculation begins:

quote:

Joe Schad Verified account ‏@schadjoe

Michigan has targeted Northwestern athletics director Jim Phillips as a candidate to succeed Dave Brandon.

Obviously this means that #1 coaching candidate is now Pat Fitzgerald. :smug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Maybe Michigan upsetting a traditional powerhouse today is just what it needs to get back on track.

They've accomplished something no SEC team could do. :smug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

Once every few years in this case being "almost literally every year"

Well, this year is iffy. We need to beat both Northwestern and Maryland to be bowl eligible. We might get one of them, but winning both is unlikely.

Getting a new coach who knows his rear end from a hole in the ground will probably fix the situation, however.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

I'd be very happy with Richt, ya kidding me?

Yeah, I'd take Richt in a heartbeat, but he's not a name that's come up anywhere in discussion of potential coaches, and I doubt sincerely that he's leaving Georgia any time soon.

I'm not sure why it's being discussed here and not in the coaching thread.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm not sure why this entire thread isn't in the coaching thread.

At this point it probably could be, but when I created it it was unknown how long the circus would go on.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

That's basically the story of the Big Ten in the last dozen years. Michigan is only remarkable because of the army of irritating Michigan Men who think that the Fall of Michigan is anything other than symptomatic of the complete irrelevance of midwestern football.

Sorry that Michigan is stealing some space in Northwestern's cardboard box over the heating grate. We'll be getting our poo poo together and moving back into permanent housing shortly, so you can finish your bottle of Thunderbird in peace.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

This cropped up on twitter:

quote:

Alex Cook ‏@alexcook616 9h9 hours ago

Michigan's interim AD follows a bunch of school-related feeds, but also this, which is interesting: pic.twitter.com/FmLylKLhpE
0 replies 15 retweets 17 favorites

I don't know if this is an ongoing concern of his, being a former player, or something he's trying to get up to speed on due to the Shane Morris incident. I'm glad for it whatever the reason.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

That's a fake account.

Figures. Nothing on Twitter is real.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Has it been mentioned that members and alumni of the athletic department are calling the non athlete students at Michigan "muggles" because lol that is the most hilariously Michigan thing ever.

It seems to have originated with the current players as something of an inside joke. Brandon got wind of it and began using it as a rallying cry to get the former players on his side and try to save his job.

It's all kind of dumb.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raku posted:

It's funny cuz saying "Dave Brandon" has the exact same effect on Michigan Men as saying "Voldemort" does in the books

Figuring out where he's buried the horcruxes is going to be a bitch.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Good article at The Daily with President Schlissel talking sports, academics (specifically UNC), and athletic directors. As to the time scale involved here:

quote:

Schlissel added that [Faculty Liaison] Curzan said the Athletic Department “often tries to keep her at arm’s length,” expressing frustration regarding the marginalization of faculty governance in these matters.

“That’s why I’m taking a bit of time with the search for Dave’s successor,” Schlissel said. “Some folks wanted me to hire an athletic director (earlier) so he could fire the current football coach and hire the next coach but I want to take the time to make sure we get someone who is not only technically adept, but can ensure that the program has financial and academic integrity, and also someone who shares the value system of realizing our mission.

“People have been saying all kinds of things about who I’m talking to about positions and this sports stuff, and they name names of people who I have no idea who they are,” Schlissel said. “I’ve really learned that this whole athletic sphere and the usual way you approach things just doesn’t work. It’s just a crazed or irrational approach that the world and the media takes to athletics decisions.

“It’s a time sink,” he added.

Schlissel said he hasn’t formally looked for anyone to permanently fill the athletic director position.

Schlissel emphasized that his greatest concern with the Athletic Department is its “diminishing connectedness” to the rest of campus, which he attributed to its size and financial stability, since it is financially independent from the University’s General Fund.

There's lots of stuff to quote and highlight which basically becomes the entire article, so I would encourage clicking through and reading it on their site.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I like how this reached a boiling point because of the Minnesota Gophers :allears:

Losing the Jug is pretty serious business.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Even in our 3-8 season we crushed Minnesota.

So yeah, heads need to roll when you lose to Minnesota. Although had Hoke started Gardner, I do think Michigan would have won.

Tho we would be heading towards an 9-4/8-5 season, no 'concussion-gate' and Hoke/Brandon may have survived that.... and gross.

I was being facetious. Lloyd Carr lost to Minnesota, so did Bo - when Minnesota was far worse than they are now.

The Minnesota game catalyzed a lot of events that were going to happen anyway. The nonsense after the Morris incident was typical of how everything in the athletic department was being handled, and if it hadn't blown up over Morris there would have been some other incident shortly thereafter that would have had the same result.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A brief update of what I've been seeing in various places.

The AD search will be slow. They are still getting the search committee together and there are no signs that they intend to offer anyone before the end of the year, maybe much later than that. It looks like Jim Hackett will be doing any firing and hiring of coaches. This seems ominous unless the skids are already greased and the decisions will be straightforward. All reports are that Hackett is truly an interim and is not in consideration for the permanent post.

Related to that, John U. claimed in a radio interview this morning that the next coach will be a familiar name, one that is part of everybody's list of top candidates. He has lots of inside info, but also added that it was a "gut feeling" - which may be true or may be a cover for a source. Who the hell knows.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Karmalaa70 posted:

U-M is going after Harbaugh, which means they have to wait until January for the Niners season to end. If they don't get him then I think there's a very real chance Hoke comes back due to the timing.

That's the general assumption, but no one is going to believe it until it actually happens.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

And they lose to Maryland. Unf.

This was not unexpected.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm literally embarrassed that my team lost to Michigan.

You should be.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

Interim AD Jim Hackett says he'll be the one to decide Hoke's future.

So basically have Hackett fire him and have the new AD hire the new guy I guess. Holy lol if Hackett is the one to make the new hire.

Yeah, the last time we had a corporate CEO with no experience as an AD pick the coach it worked out so well...

I hope they have a top-notch search committee and Hackett's only involvement is to rubber-stamp their choice. Otherwise I'd rather keep Hoke for a year and let the new AD replace him.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Karmalaa70 posted:

John U. Bacon (seems absurd to type his full name out but just saying Bacon is also weird) was on the radio Friday saying there was no chance it'd be an outside hire, so...yeah. Inbreeding is the name of the game at U-M.

It'd be the most Michigan thing ever to hire Les Miles now, 7 years too late and having let the program go to poo poo, all because he wasn't Lloyd Carr approved.

EDIT - Hackett is almost surely going to be the full time AD. I think they're waiting until after the coaching firing/hiring to announce his status. No one will care if he actually makes a good hire, but there'll be some great meltdowns with another steamer.

I also will never understand why U-M doesn't understand that having an AD who has had that job before is a GOOD thing.

Here is Jim Hackett at a press conference:

quote:

“What I’d be answering is how I feel about what I think we need in leadership. I walked in here with this notion and nothing’s changed my mind, and it begins with we stand in service of others. The job of a leader is to help people who want to achieve more, to be there for them, to support them. I’m a big believer in very thoughtful approaches to problems plus a mix of doing them, so it’s not only about getting things done but it’s about being really thoughtful. You heard more than an inference that I believe you’ve got to align yourself around the most competitive set in the world. We compete in our product with other kinds of institutions around the world- around the country, sorry, and to have the highest sense of acuity of what does it takes to compete, to make our fans so delighted, to make our alums so proud, to make the student-athletes believe that this is the best place in the world and on and on is really important. To have that acuity and help rationalize that is the part of leadership.”

I do not want a guy who talks like that running the athletic department or hiring coaches.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dattserberg posted:

If he gets canned in SF, I wouldn't be surprised if his next job was Oakland or Michigan. It's not that crazy to think.

If he doesn't come, it's the fans' own fault for not donating enough to the Hire Harbaugh Fund:

https://www.patronicity.com/project/hireharbaugh#/

How could this possible fail?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

For a guy who everyone keeps saying doesn't have the personality to coach in the NFL he sure has won a lot of loving football games in the NFL.

He's a drat good coach is why. I've read lots of stuff that his rah-rah emotional style wears thin on professionals after a while.

There are very few examples of successful NFL coaches returning to college coaching voluntarily, which is why I think Michigan getting him remains a long shot. It's not crazy, but not very likely.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

According to some former Michigan players last night, it looks like it's going to be Harbaugh unless it collapses in an amazing way.

This is what I have been fingers-crossed hoping for in the back of my mind. The way they've been dallying with the AD search and the general lack of concern about everything else means that either things are seriously hosed up in the administration or they already have a commitment from a top-notch coach and even Hackett couldn't screw it up.

Either case would be believable, unfortunately. I don't care if it's Harbaugh specifically as long as we get a known quantity. We've got to get a quality coach this time around.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Karmalaa70 posted:

There aren't any left. Brady Hoke is the shining star of Lloyd Carr's coaching tree.

Not even kidding.

Yeah, Lloyd's staff was filled with old friends who needed jobs. He developed very few young assistants. Scot Loeffler and Ron English are about all that's out there, and nobody wants them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

Okay fellas, what you need to do is find the hole, run through it, and try not to drop the ball.

Welp that's pretty much it, gotta go snap chat some 17 year olds, peace.

Our RBs have had trouble with all three of those for the last few years.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Apparently John U. Bacon was on Sportscenter just now discussing the Michigan situation.

He claims coaching odds were 51% Harbaugh, 25% Miles, 24% someone else.

He knows as much as anyone, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

NFL teams will be lining up to give Harbaugh a truckload of money if the Niners fire him, also there are rumors of him being traded again this offseason.

Why would Michigan fire Hoke before the first of the year? I thought they had a one million buyout if they do?

Michigan's athletic budget is $150 million. I don't think a million or two for Hoke's buyout matter much.

You're right with regard to Harbaugh. He would leave the NFL only if he didn't like it, not because nobody wanted him. I have no idea what he actually wants to do.

After seeing his latest press conference, though, it's pretty clear he's not having much fun in San Francisco at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Brief update:

Hoke is meeting with Hackett at noon, per reports. There is a general team meeting at 3:00, so we'll know much more about what's going on in a few hours.

• Locked thread