Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

quote:

On behalf of the Central Committee, I am honored to now cede the floor to your newly elected General Secretary, Comrade Paul Mattick!

How did you manage to get the events to choose your starting government? Events like this one always seem to trigger the instant the CSA declares independence so the AI has already made those decisions before I can save and reload as them, even with the game set to pause whenever a nation declares independence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

frankenfreak posted:

With all this fighting the Union, I wonder where the Feds' army is. Hopefully not in the midwest, advancing on the Great Lakes.

Yeah, this strategy of focusing entirely on the Union State would never work for me. The federals are always pushing towards the great Lakes from the west within a couple weeks of the war's start when I play the CSA.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Eventually events fire to restore the provinces that you have claims on, in this case the entire country, to national province status, which gets rid of the non-national penalty. It can sometimes take a while though. One game I was in I was most of the way through the war with the Entente before it finally fired to restore the South's status.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

CSA I will probably use submarines for immediate need because carriers take absolutely forever to build, though I would like those in the long run.

Personally I modded back in vanilla ship construction times. The longer times to train land divisions are just kinda annoying but it's pretty absurd that it takes three and a half years to build a carrier even with the shortened construction time research during the height of WWII.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

This talk of the different possibilities has got me thinking, how do you go about reforming Mittelafrika? I only ever saw it once in a game I was playing but it looked like they'd undergone a revolution of some type and I only vaguely remember it being Syndie. I'd like to play something resembling a good guy in Africa but I doubt Nationalist France fits the bill.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

Not at this point, though I would have if I had realized just how drat long they take.

Personally I think it's worth modding ship construction times back to vanilla. It's absurd that even after researching the bonus to production time for naval units it still takes multiple years to build any at all, especially for Kaiserreich where the main wars will often have begun before a single one can be built.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Kavak posted:

You mean Hearts of Iron II vanilla, because Darkest Hour Full is basically the same.

Yeah, sorry! I did mean HoI2 construction times. I so rarely play DH without Kaiserreich that it didn't occur to me to make the distinction since I prefer AoD for when I want the real-world WWII.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 9, 2015

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Since this seems a better place to ask than the Paradox thread, got a balance question about a change I wanna make to the ACW, spoilering just in case.

I have no idea how I managed to avoid the event on the dozen or so playthroughs I've finished as the CSA before now but after annexing California I just had every single one of my militia deleted, which seems pretty absurd to me. Also, it completely screwed me over as war with the Canadians came two months later and I had a grand total of 15 infantry divisions. Would it be reasonable for me to change the event to instead set militia strength to something like 5% or 10% across the board? It'd represent all the workers heading back to their homes and families without completing destroying the units that I assume would want to keep their unit history while also still having a big impact on American military strength.

Any thoughts? I'm wanting it to be at least somewhat balanced while not screwing over the CSA if war with Canada comes quickly, but the States once united have pretty vast manpower reserves to draw on so I'm not sure it'd even be a speedbump.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Kavak posted:

Go ahead. That event is hosed, anyway, it ignores that those militia might be used for peacekeeping operations. You could also throw in an option where you get a dissent penalty in exchange for keeping them, if balance is a really big deal.

To make sure I'm doing this correctly for each faction I'll just need to change the zeros to fives in the different versions of this event, correct?

[command = { trigger = { not = { atwar = USA exists = CAL } } type = strength which = militia when = 0 where = 0 org = 0 value = 0 } #remove all militias

Don't have a ton of experience modding the game beyond the thing with ship construction times and wanna be sure I'm not breaking something.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Most games of Kaiserreich I play the Australians are waaaay more active overseas than any other AI in the game. When I try to unite India as the Bhartiya Commune by the time I'm done at least half the soldiers I fought in Delhi were Australian with maybe a few Canadians and French Imperials mixed in. They also never stop trying to conduct amphibious assaults until I sink their entire fleet.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Drone posted:

Reminds me of Shattered Union, a fairly mediocre hex-based strategy game from the mid-00's.

I beat the game as the northwestern faction (Pacifica? Cascadia? Something like that) and that was enough for me. Not bad, but not great.

I always thought Shattered Union was a ton of fun. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to run on modern systems. Also I liked that the VO for the movies was the same actress who did Kreia from KoTOR2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKq-I2OMwV0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

The next British raid on St. John’s found the Royal Navy there more mobilized and determined than before, and dozens of British planes were shot down, at the cost of no Canadian lives or ships.

How the hell many people are crewing each of those bombers? Holy poo poo.