Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'd have no problem paying the license fee if broadcasting was fully devolved, but it isn't so I wont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

So you don't watch or listen to the BBC right?

No I don't as a matter of fact, in fact I probably only watch about one or two hours of TV a week and it will generally be a US serial drama.

HortonNash posted:

How would that work then?

Lots of community access TV stations making programming for £3.59 per programme but in your local accent and on your street?

Have you considered voting Tory, they tried to set up that exact thing (and get the BBC to pay for it)?

It would work by license payers in Scotland paying money directly to a Scottish state broadcaster, and buying in additional shows they may want from the BBC... or anywhere else for that matter. If Denmark can produce critically acclaimed serial dramas then Scotland certainly loving can.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

HortonNash posted:

Ahh.

BBC Scotland and BBC Alba not catering to your televisual needs? What do they lack?

They lack funding

BBC Scotland made huge cuts to current affairs broadcasting, including the sacking of a raft of senior journalists during the most important political event in the history of the country. They axed flagship TV news and popular radio shows to save cash, and then outsourced in journalists from London. In the end we received better coverage from Channel 4 news and the chronically poor STV (who at least made a decent fist of trying to undertake actual broadcast journalism). For one week 'London' decamped in Edinburgh to discover that all broadcasts had to be done from outside as BBC Scotland does not even have a studio in the capital city.

quote:

What pressing need would duplicating the bureaucracy of the BBC, but with a saltire and accent, do that BBC Scotland and BBC Alba can't?

Why would we want to duplicate the BBC, is that the only option available to us? What is wrong with wanting a state broadcaster that reflects the needs of your own country and not the needs of the bigger country next door?

quote:

What about independent Scottish production houses, are they currently turning out your Scandinavian detective shows? Because if they're not, who are you going to get to make them? Shine/Sky? Is there a market in Scotland for Scandinavian detective shows?

Eh there isn't really any, because once again money goes South and does not get invested in TV production in Scotland. The budget for public service broadcasting in Scotland is about £80m per year, yet over £300m is raised in TV licenses. We do not get value for money of any sort, and would be better off investing in our own broadcasting and just buying in MOTD and Top Gear or whatever the baking thing is that people on Facebook seem to like.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 1, 2014

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Any SNP arrangement with Labour in 2015 would be a confidence/supply deal. They wouldn't enter a formal coalition as their MPs only vote in matters reserved to Westminster.

It would be essentially be EVEL without any constitutional change.

[edit] Plus being a Jr. member of a Westminster coalition, how did that work out for the Liberals?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pissflaps posted:

I'd take them in my backyard (Teesside) without hesitation.

You're welcome to them, how do we go about arranging this?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I saw that article before and I didn't get it. Why did she tweet that picture? Is it having a go at the person living there?

I know it's a bit different but if I went round taking pictures of houses with the Scottish flag draped from the windows I'd never have my camera out of my hand.

She's never seen anything like it! Can you believe it, a house with not one but three British flags draped on it, common and ghastly.*

* She also refers to the cross of St. George as the British flag

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Aaaah. She's an idiot. Wasn't there a football game the other night? That seems to increase flag flying.

Yes, Labour should maybe implement a new rule for shadow cabinet ministers using Twitter such as, "Is this tweet going to be construed at a snobbish sideswipe to our working class base? If so, please desist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Edinburgh is full of pricks though, so Tories are an inevitability.

• Locked thread