Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No one posted this hidden gif of what appears to be a D8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

293 hours into the game, I've never seen that Monstro room. (What prevents the AI from making them jump up into the air and try to land on you?)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No, and the dice room is dangerous as it can take away all familiars, leaving you with no attack.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

Should always be picking that one up! +1 damage for 15 cents is totally worth it.

Plus it makes rare enemies, so you can get more pickups from defeating them. So any challenge they add is usually outweighed by the fact that you'll get more hearts/keys/bombs.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I'm the only one who thinks those rooms look fun/interesting. I just didn't like that he said they're only going to be as rare as the 4x4 rooms. I was hoping they'd be more rare than that. (I also wonder how they'll work with the rest of the map, seeing as they won't be able to connect at all 4 sides, but I wonder how they'll render on the minimap).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

VideoGames posted:

for the very first time I got to the chest and beat the blue baby! I had a nice run as cain.
proptosis, shielded, rubber tears with about four damage up items made it doable.

im really glad I took the shielded tears item in the boss rush as that properly allowed me to stand next to Isaac and the baby and ignore their own tears. I took the polaroid with me. what happens if you take the negative? do you get a different chest? or a different ending after the chest? (I know I am massively behind everyone else but I am very bad at this game. I was on a -140 something losing streak before this)

If you take the negative you can go to Sheol and continue after beating Satan. If you take the poloroid you can go to the Chest after beating Isaac. If you grab the wrong one for the path, then the fights stop at Satan/Isaac. You won't go to The Chest/The Dark Room.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is that the one with 99 bombs as well? Skip most of the rooms, and then just endure the bosses.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's better in every way. It might be easier because having full controller support makes the game easier to play, IMO. And you have a better selection of items. I don't think I launched the original game again since getting the sequel on launch day. I had over 500-600 hours in the first game, and now over 300 in the newest.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess this sounds dumb but playing the game that much, what are you getting out of it at this point? I probably put 80-90 hours into the original and I'm not sure how long Real Platinum God took me in Rebirth but it felt like a lot less than 100 hours. Like I love the game but I just feel done with it/like I've seen everything and don't have much interest in Afterbirth. I know each run is a little different and you run into some interesting item combinations but I dunno how it holds peoples interest for 500+ hours. (which actually seems pretty common)

I guess there are mods on PC but I played Rebirth on Vita

I only play it one game at a time, which is about 45 minutes to an hour. Given how many days it's been out, I've probably played the game about 400 times since the release. Some days I'm more bored than others and I'll play the game 2-3 times. Some weeks I'll only play it once.

But I keep coming back to it outside of my other games on Steam because it's fun. I can do a quick run where I don't know what the playthrough is going to be like, and I usually try to min/max with Isaac and the D6. But it's hardly ever an annoying waste of time unless the RNG really doesn't like me and gives me garbage items. The gameplay's just fun as hell.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I read the updates from his Twitter posts, but these forums usually point out stuff I would overlook. That and the secret stuff I don't really even try to solve usually get posted about here.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can't wait for the pulsing green fistula. :suicide:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cephalocidal posted:

Go through the dark room, develop the polaroid, next level is the cathedral but worse, followed by the womb but worse, all the way back up to the cellar and then the first floor of the house, followed by an escape to the outside world where you have to face the for real true final boss in the bus terminal before freeing yourself for good which deletes your save game ala Nier but without any warning prompts.

I would love this. I'm really hoping that one of the expansions for BoI will be "Redemption", where Isaac finally gets a happy ending. Like my stupid theory is how the fortune teller machine says "Bring him the photo" means that Isaac brings the photographic evidence of the abuse to his father, who gets custody of Isaac.

Sorry that's kindof fan-fictiony, but that's what I picture happens to Isaac after he finishes The Chest.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How do you get the last seed that you played? The last one I played was nuts, but I didn't write down the seed as I thought it was logged. I found the log file in ~/My Games/Binding Of Isaac Rebirth, but the log file is huge, and the number of results for "seed" is too high.

My last run didn't start out great, but I started with piercing tears, then soy milk, and the boss room gave me 20/20. Eventually I got Max's Body (and head), and rubber cement, which just filled the room with so many tears that melted enemies. Then Death's Touch, which turned everything into Scythes.

This picture doesn't do it justice:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=508654125

IUG fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 29, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/video-game-cheats-n-beatums-33-my-two-favorite-rougelikes

This is pretty amazing to me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gonna pre-order the DLC as soon as Undertale appears on Steam. Going to be a good day.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I remember a while ago someone posted about how close they've spawned to the boss room. Here's a map where I spawned one room to the boss room. It was also a double The Cage, which really sucked as I already had a boss fight with The Cage. I didn't win this run either, died to Isaac.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=521160901

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IMJack posted:

I really like Infestation 2. I had something happen the other night where I picked it up at the start of the Boss Rush. When I killed one of those first two monsters, pretty sure it was Gurdy Jr, like twenty blue spiders popped out. Don't know if it was a glitch; normally I only see two spiders spawn per monster "segment"; but between the absurd damage I was already running and the army of spiders following me I cleared the rest of the game remarkably fast.

You get that from the multi-part bosses. Like Pin, Chub, Larry Jr, etc. Each part of the boss spawns a spider when they die. Although in the cases like Larry Jr, the spawned spider usually kills itself on another segment almost right away.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I can't find this post for whatever reason (probably because I don't do the default 40 posts per page). Can someone quote what this is, if the link works for them?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not a Children posted:

I'm doing a full wipe. Just wish I could reset the cheevos so I can really just go from square 1.

That's what the list of secrets unlocked are for. So you can see what you haven't done yet in that save file.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yesterday night I was Cthulhu, Mushroom, and Guppy. I got them in that order, and I never saw any of the Guppy changes, but I was firing the flies. Just an old-god horror with a shower cap on.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

i always know exactly where a beam ghost is shooting so it's no prob, they fire in one direction and i kill them. Those loving normal ghosts will face left, I'll stand below them and fire tears, and they'll puke out their monstro's lung blast of tears directly at me despite facing left. I'd rather deal with predictable ghosts with super range than unpredictable ghosts any day.

I'll also give the brimstone ghosts some credit, as I just dealt with an overwhelming greed run with them. I was getting overrun with Maggy, until those guys mopped up a lot of the annoying enemies for me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yesterday I finally finished my post-it for Maggy. However I just loaded up the game, and it's missing the MegaSatan kill, what I did last night. I had a steam cloud download just before that, so I take it that it didn't upload last night. What's the easiest way to add just that kill back to her note? I still have the achievements already.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nothing like failing Brains! because you can't tell the difference between the Poloroid and Negative icons on the GUI, and you picked the wrong one. Why do the challenges even offer you the wrong choice?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you have an iPhone, I've been using this app to find out what items do:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/item-guide-for-binding-isaac/id945680681?mt=8

It's free, but $2 to remove banner ads. You can sort items by pills, pickups, etc. Hell, if you don't know the name of an item, and see it on a pedestal, you can view all the items, even sorted by color so you can just find it in the list. I find it's much easier to use this app than any guide I was using before.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I disagree. Simply because if you get a pill, and it's bad, you only use it once. If you get a tears up pill or another stat boost, you'll know it for the rest of the game. Since you see pills a few time a game usually, it's worth picking them up, and chances are, you've used it already after the first few floors.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And don't shoot at him when he's charging. That changes his normally-straight course, and can deflect him into you.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My last attempt of Brains I picked the wrong path and it ended at the wrong boss. I got some nice combos on my explosions, but I couldn't tell which symbols are which. I still haven't tried it. I did just finish Onan' Streak or whatever it's called. That one was a pain in the rear end for me. But nothing will be my bane like Speed will be.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They were posting a lot about how they're running it on an iPhone. Tyrone just retweeted this the other day when a fan met up with him.

https://twitter.com/Alienbabexx/status/702433330025857024

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pez posted:

I guess Mewgenics is gone for good? :(

Just before he announced LoB, he said he hasn't worked on Mewgenics for quite some time.
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/712097467081187328

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

500+ hours, and I just got to find out that there's an animation if you get Super Bum. (First time I got it.)

EDIT: Two hours later I played again, and got him for the second time in a row...

IUG fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 24, 2016

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's co-op. All that it is though is player two presses start, steals one of your hearts, and they pilot a flying baby. They get a different baby at random, and some of them do things.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

My very first run after installing Afterbirth had a double Ragman on floor 1. I did not win.

Always target the rolling heads, btw, that way you simultaneously damage the Ragman and reduce the health of the ragling spider it turns into. That move when he spawns two spiders and heals himself is pure bullshit though.

I think as soon as the spiders spawn, they have the same health as any spiders you didn't attempt to damage. If you manage to cause enough damage to the head before the spiders spawn, then they don't spawn. However, I think it's all or nothing for the spider's health.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Met posted:

If you shoot the head as it's rolling, you simultaneously deal damage to the uncreated spider and the boss. Even without upgrades it will die the first hit after turning into a full spider.

Only if you hit it with every tear right as it is spawned without missing. Otherwise, the spider will spawn at full health. Sure, you damaged Rag Man, but the rag spider is full health. And then sometimes Rag Man will like to spawn two or more in a row.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Get a job, and then you won't have time to play it!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Greed mode, get chaos.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Night Danger Moose posted:

I tried to download and it gave me nothing. Resynced, download, nothing. I guess I'll just do it all again. :negative:

You might as well use a save state editor. If you got the achivements, just turn it back on. You'll lose the stats maybe, but at least you can turn on the locked items.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Indy Game movie made it look like there was a few hour delay because of Microsoft. This is the first time this is delayed on Steam that I can recall (I don't think there was one for Rebirth or Afterbirth). He probably uploaded the DLC hours/days ago, and it's up to Steam now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/816389270336368640
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/816395178424422401

I don't think it's him/Tyrone's fault.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jibo posted:

Look man just tell me where to focus my unreasonable nerd rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm sorry I blamed you Gaben!
EDIT: Now I'm sure this is going to be glitchy as all hell.

IUG fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 3, 2017