Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
CobaltStreak and Richard_Hammer's 24/7 nutso stream is definitely going to be worth checking out, they're pretty good (great?) players at the original Isaac and also pretty funny dudes. It'll probably be what I have on in the background while I'm working or don't feel like actually playing Rebirth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
The no damage achievements were pretty easy tbh, just stop taking so much damage. Looks like Rebirth might be a bit harder difficulty wise in general though.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Hahaha, on Richard Hammer's stream they just found out that Dad's Key will even open the super crazy special door to Mega Satan.

Too bad Mega Satan is a buggy piece of poo poo

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Logan 5 posted:

Ah, ok. I really hope it isnt something like kill mega satan with every character, that'd be a pain. Hope that isnt where the 500 hours figure comes from!

Why would 10 runs take 500 hours...

(it's not that though, because people have done it)

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Do you still have to pick up every space bar item you see even if you don't want it to take it out of the item pool, or has that been changed from BOI1.

That wasn't even true for every space bar item in the original! I do it just to be safe in Rebirth though.

e: To clarify

In the original BoI, seeing any item (space bar or not) removes one entry of it from the pool. If the item is only in that pool once and in no other pools, you will never see it again. Picking it up and putting it back down only matters if it's in multiple pools or is in a pool multiple times, in which case it prevents you from seeing it again completely (but it doesn't actually remove it from those pools, as an interesting side note, which is the source of the game crashing when you empty your main pool sometimes). The exception to this is the library and angel room pools, which never have any items removed on sight.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 8, 2014

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Tracula posted:

Anyone else not having unlocks trigger? I've beaten Mega Satan with Cain, the Cathedral with Judas and Mom's Heart with ??? but I've not gotten anything for it. Same oddity happened with Dark Boy. I unlocked it in game but no Steam achievement.

Mega Satan doesn't unlock poo poo.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Magres posted:

Btw if anyone's interested in reading about and or participating in the hunt for the ultra secrets of the game, this thread seems like a good resource.

People have figured out how to get The Lost by using cheat tables, but it looks like no one has figured out how to do it legit yet. It's a floating little ghost, it looks like it may come with built in flying but I haven't seen any confirmation of that yet. Just visually it doesn't have legs. Apparently it's similar to Blue but only starts with ONE soul heart, and its max Soul Heart count might be restricted heavily.

I can confirm that he does start with flying

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

So, would I VAC ban myself by using steam achievement manager to activate The Lost and the alt+f2 to import it to BOI?

Ehhhh... I did it just to debunk people on Reddit, which is worth the risk. I don't think using SAM on indie games with no multiplayer is a super high risk target for VAC bans but I'm not the most educated on the subject.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

The Lost seems like they actually accomplished what Blue Baby was supposed to be in the original game.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I'm going to like seeing Cobalt and Dick do The Lost runs for the next however many days, 24 hours a day

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

something posted:

Do you guys think anyone will ever be able to do a lost run all the way to isaac and win?

Anyone? Yeah, probably in the next couple days if not tonight.

Me? Holy poo poo no.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

http://www.twitch.tv/antizoubilamaka

This dude is about to finish the chest as The Lost b/c he got some sort of glitch that made him unable to die.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Unicorn Stump + Orbitals (particularly the sac dagger) is sooo good. Very good combination of non-special, non-rare items that's good enough to carry you to the end of the game with The Lost.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

It's really funny that it's significantly easier and requires less luck to get a combination of items that allows you to infinitely use Monster Manuel to get the 4pc Meat Boy achievement than it is to legitimately get 4 cubes of meat to drop. Thanks Edmund.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

You don't lose any of the range that you would usually lose from having proptosis, according to the wiki.

Never listen to the wiki, ever. Proptosis + Coal does nothing special in particular.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

TheModernAmerican posted:

Yeah anyone saying devil and angel rooms have a 50/50 shot of appearing is full of poo poo. I've seen maybe ten angel rooms to a hundred or so devil rooms. And it was like that in WotL.

Once you take a Devil Deal it locks it so you can only get Devil Deals and the opposite is not true (or at least it did in the original), so they are obviously going to be more rare unless you're consciously trying for them.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Davincie posted:

you can get angel rooms after doing devil deals. the secret room can also spawn next to the starting room on the first floor now, another old isaac rule that is broken by the new one

Uh... what? The secret room can spawn adjacent to the starting room on basement 1 in the original, that was one of the most important strategies when trying to get "epic fetus WR speedruns"

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

TheModernAmerican posted:

I'm talking only about the basement 2 chance. 9/10 times it's a devil room, and it's laughable to say they have an equal chance.

Basement 2 is always a devil deal, you can't get an angel room before you see (and pass up) a devil deal.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Ror posted:

Yeah I totally take back the things I said earlier in defense of Eve. She is just way too weak. The Whore of Babylon damage boost feels like an improvement when you've been playing without it active but her base damage is so low that it doesn't hep you as much as it should. She still can't even one-shot spiders with WoB popped.

She's not absolutely terrible but she takes a lot more work to power up than I initially thought.

Eve with Whore active actually has the same modifier as Isaac so she's literally doing the same damage (5.86 per tear) with it as Isaac. Isaac doesn't one-shot spiders with only +1.5 damage

source: extensive testing in cheatengine.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Hard Mode is literally just "wow I have less keys" mode tbh. Cobaltstreak is a bit of a nob about it.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Almost everything about this patch makes the game worse. Please stop, Edmund.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

GenericGirlName posted:

Yea I know about that, it would just be cool if the game worked, ya know?

It worked the same way in the original game, so I imagine it's an intended quirky mechanic. Unless this patch changes it, which I doubt.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Testing Dark Bum, he still seems to give soul hearts a pretty big majority of the time. Definitely worth taking, even if it's only 50% (which kinda seems low, more like 75%ish).

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

The Lil Brimstone change is my favorite part of this patch, because it makes the rule of "always take 2 heart devil deals with curse of the blind" even more true.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It wouldn't, it would show off which person grinded out the most runs to get a more optimal seed by chance. Seeded and seedless basically doesn't matter, one just removes much of the randomness involved but true to form it isn't that entertaining to watch someone push space for two minutes. Old version isaac speedruns were just bombing into the secret room ad nauseum until epic fetus dropped and then bulldozing the entire game via it which is both boring to do and boring to watch, I can imagine it would be much the same in new Isaac.

isaac is not a particularly good speedrun game

No one takes single character "speedruns" seriously at all. It's all either 7 (10 I guess in Rebirth, b/c people are cowards) character or racing.

e: Oh wow this speedrun is really unoptimized, could probably have a better seed (no movespeed at all?) and is measured in IGT (kinda inaccurate). Not sure why this person uploaded it like this instead of working on it more.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 13, 2014

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

7/10 character is also bad and dumb because now your heavily rng based speedrun doesn't even have the saving grace of being short and quick to do resets on, I know the idea is to make it so that luck evens out over the course of seven characters and skill therefore becomes more of a factor in how fast your run is but it just doesn't work that way in reality, I think the old isaac 7 char WR is some absurdly lucky bullshit because you churn enough attempts out and eventually the RNGod smiles upon thee. Racing, on the other hand, suits Rebirth really drat well because of the seeds which is loving bizarre as hell.

It's a very odd drat case where imo the game basically doesn't work at all as a competitive speedgame but works really well as a race game.

Obviously 7/10 is heavily RNG based but you're actually genuinely playing the game. It's not like speedruns with a lot of RNG aren't a thing that a ton of people do and enjoy!

Also seeded racing is not a thing and will probably not be a thing, because it doesn't really make any sense and has a lot of flaws.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

Because levelling the playing field doesn't make any sense and has a lot of flaws.

No, "leveling the playing field" is fine. The problem is that streams exist and would probably be the biggest conduit for racing, and being able to see what happens ahead of time on the seed makes decision making kind of boring. People tried seeded racing with Spidermod in the original and no one liked the standoff of watching another guys stream so you don't pick the wrong way to go on a map (or decisions like taking/rerolling items, or when to use bombs/keys, or etc)

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Yeah, we're talking races in the context of this. Which is where the actual speedrun community does it stuff, people all stream their stuff simultaneously so you can actually see what other people are doing. This normally isn't a big deal, but it is with Isaac because the game is more luck than mechanical skill.

Isaac certainly isn't more luck than mechanical skill, otherwise racing in the original wouldn't have had consistent winners the way it did. I'm skeptical on Rebirth still.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I don't know what "fix" from the new patch I like more, the fix where charging items discharge when you enter a room or the fix where the game now randomly crashes. Thanks Edmund.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Window placement/size is properly saved again, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Which is such a weird decision on the part of Nicalis, they obviously knew that maintaining half a heart was a bad piece of gameplay but for some reason left it in for everyone else. I wish they'd just put it to 1 full heart for everyone. For such a fun game they occasionally seem very intent on making it less so.

"A bad piece of gameplay"? The game is supposed to be challenging and Whore of Babylon is supposed to be a risky item. They even changed the way blood donations work at 1 red heart on Womb+ floors to make it harder to maintain half a red heart without going full soul hearts. There's nothing wrong with something being situational and difficult to make full use of.