Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Afraid of Audio posted:

Are video games art?
I feel like your avatar already decided.

But yes, they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Same here. Preloaded on all of my PCs. Every single one now has Isaac ready to be reborn.

Re: the pixelised retro look. I find it ok-ish. Isaac looks a bit weird, but I'll probably get used to that. I thought the flash version used vector graphics, which is why it could make the characters go smaller or extra extra huge and still not look pixelized (at least that was my guess). I don't know how this will work in the new game (I mean breaking the game and eg becoming extra huge).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I had a run a few days ago, where I used a bomb near some rocks on a large room and it opened a crypt to a secret (large) room with free items in it. (It had a large ladder going down when I entered it - no enemies). I've got some screenshots but they currently are on my other PC (I will post them if needed).

Is this to be discovered by pure luck or can you do something to increase the chances of getting it?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Carbon dioxide posted:

It leads to a side-scrolling room that either contains a free treasure or an opening to a large normal (top-down looking) room called the black market (according to the wiki). The one time I got it, it sold a whole lot of stuff for hearts, just like the devil, but with more choices.

Yep. I think that's what I got. I probably forgot that I had to spent a heart to get any item...

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So what is it that unlocks Samson? It says beat two floors in a row or something like that, but I had Basement Boy since November 2nd and I got Mama's Boy 3 days ago, but Samson unlocked only yesterday when again I got no damage in the two Basement floors. Is this a known bug ?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kaethela posted:

The * Boy achievements only count the second floor of each chapter. You can take all the damage you like on Basement 1 and no damage on 2 and still unlock Basement Boy, for instance.

I didn't know that. I am still quite certain I didn't take any kind of damage in both rooms of each set, but only got the * Boy achievements (expectedly), but not the Samson one (which I got on its own later in another playthrough). But maybe I remember it wrong somehow.

In other news, Edmund talking about an expansion in his blog... I mean it was to be expected, but I was hoping that perhaps some more rebalancing and maybe additional synergies would be patched to the existing game before an expansion was in the works. Now, I can't help thinking how ridiculous the game will be with even more content...

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Is there anything that stacks with The Poop?

I mean they at least could support a combo of battery-items and/or Habit plus e Coli, Bob's Curse or Common Cold to produce your own regenerating toxic poop traps in a room.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Godammit, this is the second time in a row where I beat that final boss demonic thing in the last level after Sheol, and then I foolishly decide to clean up the rest of that floor, only to accidentally enter a room without picking up health (in the first case I entered a room with two Monstros II without picking up a Nine lives item I had left in another room which would have made me Gumpy) and dying a miserable death.

Good thing it still unlocks the items after beating the final boss and doesn't matter much if you eventually "lose" the run, I guess.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

senae posted:

That's Satan, and there's never a reason to clear sheol out if you can help it. There's really not one for clearing out the womb either. Mistakes are too punishing at that point.
It was the floor after that (wiki calls it "The Dark Room" with "The Lamb" as final boss). I figured I would do it for fun.

In the first case (Azazzel) I could safely reach the Nine Lives item, and then I would have fun fighting some of the room bosses (and dying) until I had 1 life left. But I carelessly entered an unexplored room before getting to that and got killed by those Monstros II...

In the second case (Cain), I directly teleported to The Lamb with an Emperor card and beat it with a decent build. After that I ended up with about 5 or so hearts of health. And then I stepped out (again for fun) and got wrecked by two Cages.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Should I expect some unlock or achievement for beating Mega Satan?
I beat The Lamb with ??? and then went on to defeat Mega Satan (the door was unlocked by the keys from the angel fights).

I had nine lives, guppy's collar, the Ankh, the wafer and also both polaroid and the negative (I re-rolled Necropolis 2 with a 5-dot die).

I died the first time against Mega Satan, and then decided to die until I got the 3 hearts from Ankh to give me a better chance. So then I bombed myself in the first room (of the Dark room), and Nine Lives kept teleporting me in the Mega Satan to fight him -probably because it was the previous room I was in - I didn't expect that it would do that, and my mind probably was having trouble grasping that this wasn't a bug but the intended behavior).

Anyway, I finally beat him as per the plan, but then nothing unlocked. Was this a glitch?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It took me 3 re-tries* of the Waka Waka challenge to finally figure out that things get way simpler with most (non flying) enemies, if you just tap the shoot arrows instead of holding them down. It's basically chocolate milk (in quick tap mode) with the caveat of attracting those floating heads, flies and little haunts. First two runs, I didn't make it past the first floor boss. Third run I even got to be Guppy a few rooms before reaching Mom.

(* To be fair, I don't think I got antigravity tears in a normal run, so there was a bit of getting used to it...)

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I just had an almost pretty decent run with that blasted god-awful Suicide King challenge (which is the only one I have left from the challenges),
I got a few damage up and health up items, and before the Mom fight I found the spoon bender (homing tears). Hitting targets became a bit easier, since some (not all) shots seemed to now linger close to enemies and eventually hit them. It made tears behave a bit more weird but all in all I ended up hitting myself significantly less.

That is until I got to Utero II and found Tiny Planet in a crawl space. I don't know why, but I thought... sure, what the hell - maybe it'll make my tears follow a more consistent route. And nope. Now every tear was unreliable as gently caress and I barely made it a few rooms into the Cathedral (also a lovely thing to expect the player beat Isacc in this challenge).

But the stupid challenge is broken right? I mean half the time the ipecac shots don't even connect with enemies or fires and rocks and walls, and still go off early, and other times they pass through them without a blast, and that was also the case with homing tears.

Also I am suspecting the all the range up pills I got were really not doing me any favors.

drat, I hate this challenge. It's the less fun (and "fun" is pushing it) I had with the game.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dr. Fetus posted:

The hitboxes of Isaac's tears are the shadows. Aim with the shadows, not the IPECAC projectiles. You'll have a much easier time if you keep that in mind.

Huh you are right. It still doesn't hit consistently, but it's something.

And, I just beat the challenge btw :).

The game decided to give me all the trinkets (normal drops or from fortune tellers) and I got ring worm by the second or third floor (it was the third worm trinket that dropped in the run), which made shooting the tears surprisingly more effective and less deadly for me.

I also got a bunch of shot speed ups and became Guppy with nine lives at the deal with the devil on the 3rd floor. By then the game had pretty much given up and started throwing more overpowered items at me. It was throwing Jocker cards, I got Goat head, Abaddon, Pentagram, the Dollar, the Black Candle, Black Lotus, a Jera rune, an Algiz rune (and a Berkano and a Perthro) and a gazillion of health up pills.

Before going to the Cathedral I got a Chaos Card (though the flies were at that point pretty much one-shoting most things including bosses), so I used that on Isaac and I beat him at full health.

I swear to God, this game is playing me like a harpsichord.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 23, 2015

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Did curse of the maze always moved rooms around as well as teleporting you to a random room or it just the recent patch that added this? I had a Cain run today where a blood bank room moved to another location in the same map, and it completely screwed my orientation (for a few seconds anyway). I think it happened in another floor as well, but I can't remember what room shifted.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The game almost screwed me over on my last Samson run. I was building up Samson's stats, and had a very good thing going on (two Guppy items, Dark Bum, Little Chad, Jera rune, full set of spirit hearts, and quite good rate of tears and damage). Then I enter the womb and it's the curse of the maze. I enter a double key room and it's an One Dice. I definitely don't want to reroll my whole run, so I leave. A couple of rooms later the curse decides to teleport me to the double key room and I walk like an idiot into the middle of it and reroll the run anyway to an Ipecac, triple shot, loki's horn, anti-gravity and strange attractor tears with 3 normal hearts and a few spirit hearts (lost my Polaroid invincibility and lost all spirit hearts before the It lives fight).

It almost hosed up the entire run, until I realized two floors later (at the Cathedral) that I have Pyromaniac as well and the ipecac explosions (which were all over the place and I was trying to avoid, dodging into enemies as a result) heal me. The rest of the run became this majestic thing of explosions everywhere in every room. Isaac and Blue baby had no chance :D

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Finally got the 4rth level meat boy today. I pretty much set out to do this, because in past random runs, even with the Book of Revelations starting from the basement, the game would still gently caress me over and give me alternative bosses before the Mom level and the Conquest in the Womb (if I had meat boy level 3 and still cared).

So I tried to do the Book of Manuel trick, but I got everything except that book (funny how it shows up in every other run when I don't want it), even re-rolling as much as possible

And then, starting ove,r I get the Book of Revs in the basement. And this timeI just barely got the achievement by fighting Death on the Womb I. IIRC it was similarily hard to get 4rth level bandage girl, although I managed to get that in some of my intermediate runs. Super Meat boy I got after I got all the other achievements... minus The Lost ones because gently caress that poo poo.

It bugs me that they would make this so hard to achieve.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I almost had a decent run with The Lost the other day (after many many.... many failed ones). I got the stop watch and brimstone and a bunch of other damage items, but I also must have picked up items that reduce your overall damage, because I still wasn't doing much damage to enemies. Sadly, the game did not throw any respawn items to me. So, I made it to the Womb II (first time with the Lost) and the It Lives fight, and died to its Brimstone attack which for some reason is not slowed down by the stop watch.
God drat that fucker who though that the Lost should block unlocking 100% of the game's items.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bobo the Red posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to require 100% completion of a game to require that you complete it with 100% of its characters. Plus, hard mode is mostly meaningless to The Lost.

In theory it's not unreasonable. But The Lost is a secret unlockable character that is there only for the challenge of playing the whole game without taking damage (...) which is nearly impossible if you don't get some of the few special items (allowing you to respawn or get hit but endure it). And to make things worse only few of the game's items actually mean something for the Lost. And even worse, some enemy hitboxes are still ludicrous, some teleporting enemies can easily screw you up, exploding stuff seem to have weird range of effect, and there are rooms that you are pretty much guranteed to take at least one hit (occassionaly this is more likely because of the UI obscuring part of the screen).

The game being unfair, buggy or broken at some stuff,is a thing in general, but it only becomes a real pain when you add The Lost into the mix. Seriously, is there any fun in playing The Lost after unlocking the final items for the game, that it blocks?

Anyway, what I finally did was to keep restarting the Lost run until I got Holy Mantle in the first floor. I got some Guppy items too, and Nine Lives on the Womb (first respawn item for the run). This allowed me to beat The Chest with maybe one or two lives left. I guess that's how I'm beating the Lamb and the bosh rush then. Continuously restarting is a boring and stupid process but at least for my level of experience with the game, trying to stick with a random Lost runs will just result in tears and/or rage quiting.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I always snobbed the pay-to-play item from the shop. Maybe it was because I didn't know it was doing damage that is twice the damage of your tears.

Welp, I just found it in the first cave's level and it got me though the boss rush with The Lost, almost "hands free". Eat that game.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dr. Fetus posted:

-Eternal Envy's chunks can fuse back together. On top of having too much HP.
-The game chugs like crazy if there's too many bullets on the screen. Some of the eternal enemies spam bullets like crazy.
[...]
Oh yeah, while he was showing off the new update on Youtube, he was told repeatedly that the enemies had too much HP and that they needed to be toned down. Apparently he didn't listen.

I was going to give this a shot, because Florian said he was fixing some long running game bugs too and I think he also said he was improving the overall performance....

But this Eternal Envy poo poo sounds something that I would wish to a person who wronged me. and if the game still has frame rate issues (I suppose there's only so much you can do with a Flash game), then there's little fun to be had here.

Maybe his idea was to show his changes as he originally envisioned them, and then rebalance them according to feedback. Kind of like WOTL did (and rebirth at a lower degree), although in WOTL's case they mostly had overpowered items show up more frequently for the gamer to notice the changes; the initial unbalanced stuff did not actually spell WE HATE YOUR GUTS AND YOU SHOULD SUFFER.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Apparently I already had WOTL installed and it got updated overnight so I gave the normal mode a shot to see if anything had changed there. It's been a while since I played the game, so it feels different in many ways.

But, the most obvious change is that the explosive diarrhea pill is back.

Edit: And I almost managed to get my last missing achievement for TWOL (take no damage in the Caves), because I had flight and curse of the labyrinth, but the last boss was Peep and the fucker jumped on rocks (where I was hiding). Was he always able to do that?

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 3, 2015

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I am missing two items in order to get the Platinum God achievements (dead dove and godhead), but I sort of lost my will to play the game after those final Lost runs -and a few normal runs after that, trying to wash off the terrible aftertaste.

Is it possible to find those using seeds? Or do you have to come across them in a normal game?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Fuego Fish posted:

My first Greed run, I go as Azazel to unlock Lilith, and I'm careful to go into the final fight with around fifty coins or so. Beat Ultra Greed, start pushing on the donation machine, it takes about five coins before breaking. What the Hell :(

I got it worse. Ultra Greed apparently died in front of the end-level chest, so the chest wasn't visible.
I went near the Greed statue-corpse expecting loot or maybe bomb it to get coins, and Azazel jumped into the chest and that was it.
I had 70+ coins that I could try to donate, and I donated none.

Also, heads up for anyone who isn't aware, the Card Against Humanity card can break the Greed mode, if you use it in the main room and then exit that room for whatever reason (going to self-sacrifice room, the shop or elsewhere). The fight push-button will disappear and the run will be rendered un-winnable.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I really hope that nerfing Azazel like that was not intentional or that at least they will reconsider in the next patch.
Because, overpowered as he was with the shortcoming of short range, Azazel was an interesting character and perfectly fine to play if you were going for a relaxing-ish run. Not all characters have to be frustrating garbage when they start off.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ErIog posted:

D4 is almost useless as The Lost anyway. Yeah, you can re-roll into Holy Mantle, but also probably also lots of other awful junk you don't need or could be extraordinarily harmful. It's also not likely you'll re-roll into any kind of carry build. Theoretically D4 seems awesome, but it's still just more randomness added to a character that needed to have some randomness removed.
Definitely agree.
Although, iirc there was a reddit poll about how to "improve" The Lost, so did people actually suggest this and voted it over say Dead Cat or Holy Mantle?

I guess the idea is that D4 still maintains the idea behind the Lost character while maybe giving him an extra possible chance to become viable with a lucky reroll, but I don't see any fun in that. I still am more likely to reset the run until I get at least Dead Cat.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
In the Guardian challenge, the punching bag sometimes wonders over spikes and I lose a heart, and other times this seems to insta-kill me even though I have much health. Is this a known bug or is there something else happening there? I've lost three Guardian runs in good standing like this.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Connoisseur posted:

Lost holds Holy Mantle
Unlocked a new starting item.
Is this for real?

I wonder how much I am gonna have to hate myself to do what it takes to get this reward and make the Lost ok.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I am currently in a Lost run with Dead Cat (lost 6-7 lives already but I Guppy). Problem is, I am at a floor with the curse of the maze, and I just got an amnesia pill so it's hell to go through.
And on top of that it seems that the path to the boss room is blocked by that two button puzzle room with dozens of randomly moving grey spike tiles and two blue spike tiles next to one of the buttons.
gently caress off Edmund; You do that room with the Lost. I'll wait.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It seems that Krampus' head now does the spinning brimstone attack. At least it did it when I used it twice and then dropped it.
Is this chance based, or is it something patched in with the last update?

I think I'm going to stop playing the Lost for a while. I don't want to completely scum my way to its unlocks (but I am not beyond resetting until I get at least a decent damage up or a respawn item), but I've died in the stupidest of ways (eg enter a room and one of the orbitals instantly causes an explosion because it hit an enemy or something - you're dead) or room designs (the two button room I've mentioned with multiple spike tiles with the added bonus of two blue tiles right next to one of the buttons -this last "gently caress-you" in that room is chance based)

The holy mantle should make the Lost a decent character, it's a terrible decision to make the player suffer through the garbage that is the Lost in this game in order to get it (edit, disregard this, I wasn't up-to-date).

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 16, 2015

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

the Orb of Zot posted:

It's this; 879 coins needed.

Oh. thank god then.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Keep in mind that you can kind of break the waka waka challenge by tapping fast on the arrow keys, which effectively gives you high fire rate without the pac-man trail bullshit.

It's how I beat it eventually anyway.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ErIog posted:

You can get hosed over pretty hard with some of the new spike switch rooms. You can also get damage raced in any small room.

I've written about it a few pages ago, but yeah. There's that room with two switch buttons and randomly moving grey spikes that has a chance of some of the grey spikes spawning as blue ones (and those ones won't be disabled even after pressing the switches). The one I got with the Lost and screwed me over had two blue spikes spawned right next to one of the switch buttons (I think I have a screenshot of that somewhere). There was no chance of pressing that button without being hurt unless you had some form of invincibility. In matter how good of an Isaac player you are.

On the.. not-so-lovely side of things, if you die in that room after you have pushed one of the buttons, say having Dead Cat, the progress seemed to be saved for the next live after re-entering the room (that button was already pressed). But yeah, still terrible.

Another terrible thing for the Lost is entering a deal with the devil from the top door with that little devil thing spawned that tends to hide behind the devil statue. If you don't have unlocked holy mantle for the Lost you are screwed.

On another note, I don't think I like Greed mode anymore. I need to take a serious break from it. The last fight takes forever no matter how strong is my build and it's starting to become a chore to fill up the greed machine. Also, I don't know if it's because of the latest patch or because of the "greed just got harder" unlock but now you can get multiple waves of the same type of enemies in direct sequence. And boy, is it not fun to get three subsequent waves of those bullshit disappearing tanky assholes that now shoot brimstone lasers?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Does the percentage for breaking the greed machine always start from 0% even if playing with the same character for subsequent runs?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

senrath posted:

It starts at the same it was last time, or it should. Currently each penny only raises the jam percentage by a fraction of one percent, though, so it takes a while before it shows anything other than 0% jam rate.

I've made an effort to start Greed runs with different characters since the patch that introduced the jam percentage, and it always started from 0% for each new character run (despite having been raised to 1% or 2% before jamming in a previous run with some other character).
I don't think I have yet repeated any of the characters to see if the percentage persists per character (I kind of though that this was the case), and I am not going to play The Lost before unlocking the Holy Mantle for him (which I am about 200 coins away from). I'll probably be trying repeated runs during the weekend.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I finally unlocked the Holy Mantle for the Lost. I did it the hard way, cause no matter how many re-roll opportunities I got, the hour glass thingie would not spawn for me.

So, instead I had a sequence of Eve, Blue Baby and Cain runs where I got the D20 and blank cards (and deck of cards) with Chaos or 2 of diamonds and they all ended up being very overpowered (in one of those I got to kill Ultra Greed less than a minute, maybe less than half; and ofcourse the run with Chaos card cleared Ultra Greed instantly). I spend way too much time on each run, rerolling and buying items until I was fed up with how powerful I was or how many breakfasts I was getting. But at least it washed away the memories of the previous horrible underpowered Greed runs.

Now all my characters (except the Lost and Guardian (because I don't have that one yet)) have 2% jam for the Greed machine. Which the game seems to interpret as "you can't donate more than 10 cents" . But it's only like 100 cents left for the Guardian, so... eh.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

graynull posted:

I didn't realize any hearts spawned in those womb super secret heart rooms would also be red hearts. I knew things like the Lovers Card would spawn black/eternal hearts in SSR's with those in them, but it never occurred to me the red heart ones would also. Hopped in there with Dark Bum and watch in horror as he ran around eating them all up and then vomited a bunch up and ate them again and again. Luckily I didn't need the health.

I think that they patched out the spawning of black hearts in Dark-room-type SSRs and now regular hearts are dropping. At least it didn't work for me last time I've tried it in Afterbirth.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I am sort of glad I got burned out playing Afterbirth, shortly after finishing the Greed mode with everyone (minus Keeper) and all the Lost's post-it tasks; minus the Hush because screw that noise -- I think I only bothered to beat that poo poo with two characters. I decided that after so many years playing Isaac, it was time to move on (and that the direction with the new bosses was not very fun).

I'm watching some Antibirth runs and I get the appeal. It even looks fun sometimes, with good ideas, albeit with some really unfair enemies and attacks. But then I watched a few Afterbirth+ runs and that new (morphing?) boss... was just lazy work and pure revenge on the player.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Can you actually have just Afterbirth+ but not the Afterbirth DLC?
Maybe they didn't plan for that.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I only had a watched streams for Afterbirth+ but yeah, both (and mostly) The Delirium and The Big Horn have glitchy animations and teleports, to the point that they seemed rushed and unfinished (and often leave the player wondering why they took damage). The Delirium also kind of looked like a "Boss Rush 2"...

Sisters Vis have that bullshit Mega attack, which while being bullshit, at least can be avoided... with a few builds and speed, (and luck).

I think Rag Mega seems the best designed out of all the new bosses (definitely animation-wise), though still very easy to take damage with many builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Supremezero posted:

"Only"

That by itself seems pretty important!

Yeah. It is actually "modding support tools DLC", along with a bunch of other stuff that maybe should be more "peripheral" and have less impact to the game's bullshit level.

Also, they have said something about monthly updates with community mods integration(?) or something along those lines...