Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The aesthetic isn't spectacular, but Rebirth looks like a step forward in that aspect.

But screw it. I've played uglier games, and I know this one is gonna rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Of course the first Tuesday I work in weeks has to be this Tuesday. :argh:

If you guys are into the speed running/racing community, Richard_Hammer and CobaltStreak are going to be playing and streaming Rebirth 24/7 in shifts until they 100% the game.

Jesus. How long do they think that will take them?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've got the whole collection and all the no-hit achievements, but I can't figure out what necromancy it takes get the ???'s Soul and Eve's Bird Foot achievements to pop.

Whatever, it's a moral victory :colbert:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Walrus Pete posted:

One change I hope to see in Rebirth is making the horseman bosses less common. The boss fights in BoI are awesome, and it's a real bummer that a subset of them that show up a lot are just (usually minor) variations on the same fight. Knowing what drop you're going to get before the fight even starts is pretty lame, too.

Yeah, these are the most tedious boss fights as well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just had my first broken run, using probably the easiest method of breaking the game.

Got the D20 early and the Habit in a store in the Caves. Used a blood donation machine to get some coins in a room, rolled them into a new batch of items that included some chests. As long as you don't pick up the items and have a way to damage yourself and recharge the D20, eventually the chests that spawn will increase the number of items in the room, and then you can start opening gold chests for items. Got the D6 in the gold chests, and the rest is pretty obvious.

Unfortunately, Mom didn't drop the Polaroid, so I couldn't go to the Chest with the Knife, Poly and all the damage upgrades :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Uhhh, Mom always drops the Polaroid.

Apparently if you reroll a Polaroid with the D20, which I definitely did at some point, there's a chance Mom won't drop it. She dropped a tarot card on me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Woo, got Platinum God the day before Rebirth launches.

I'm hyped up. This game's gonna rule.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

Mine is unlocked and playable. I don't know if it did it right at 1 or not I just looked now.

The best troll

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Haha the new tutorial screen is great.

Yeah, that surprise mini-boss fight on the second floor is a real doozy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

how me a frog posted:

This is a pretty dumb thing to say about a randomized game.

Hence the surprise!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, I just picked up a gimp mask. What the gently caress

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dude789 posted:

I'm not sure, but I think that might have a chance to drop soul hearts when you take damage. I got one on my last run and something was definitely dropping soul hearts. I was doing the Soy Milk/Small Planet challenge and I just don't know about the Soy Milk. It just seems so weak. I got guppy mode going and it was hilarious to see a solid line of flies attacking bosses, but even the flies did so little damage. I tried the boss rush room and that run and I think I almost got to the end but I died, and the second set of horseman. Fortunately, I had 9 lives so I was still able to complete the challenge.

Also, that demon looking boss with the curving brimstone lasers is a huge pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I think you're correct. I'm not dropping soul hearts every time though, so I've got no idea what the odds are.

Oxyclean posted:

So whats the deal with the timer on the map screen?

I think if you beat Mom in under 20 minutes, you unlock a secret. There might be other timed challenges as well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, this game hurts my eyes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The challenge you unlock when you get a Guppy run is nuts. It's called Cat Got Your Tongue, and you play as Guppy, but blindfolded, so no tears. All you have the attack is Guppy's Hairball trailing you, the flies that spawn from you occasionally, and 1-4 attack flies each room from Guppy's Head.

Edit: Oh thank goodness, your familiars do shoot, so I guess now that I have a Brimstone familiar I might have a chance.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 5, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a Brimstone familiar and enough bombs can get you through the blindfolded Guppy challenge pretty easily. I imagine it's the same for that solar system challenge people were talking about, as long as it ends at Mom and the familiars can fire.

Alkydere posted:

Polyphemus + toothpicks. :gonk::v::gonk:

Actually a good combination too, faster mega-shots.

Yeah, I beat the Womb for the first time with that combo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

In depths there was a door covered with wood which I blew open with multiple bombs. Inside was a bed(???) which was surrounded with spikes and a carpet. I bombed the carpet and an entrance straight to womb 1 opened up. What is going on :stare:

I didn't know you could bomb the carpet. If you touch the bed, you go to sleep and regain any lost red hearts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What's the donation machine do? Usually it just stops accepting my coins real quick. Does it pay out at some point?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kaethela posted:

Better shops for later games. I think it expands them so they hold more items.

Oh, that's a great idea.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It seems like they left in some thing that I suspect were just coding shortcomings in the original. I haven't tested it extensively, but it looks like the old "drop a bomb, leave the room, and come back in for a larger blast radius," still works. And you can still easily diagonal your way through those 4-way spikes that look like they're intended to prevent you from getting what's in the middle for free.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Anyone have any tips for Cat Got Your Tongue? I'm starting to get the hang of killing things with the hairball but I'm loving awful at fighting bosses with it.

Hope for a devil room that can give you a Lil' Brimstone or the explosive brain upgrade from a gold chest. Use one of those as your actual weapon for the rest of the run.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Big rooms own. Pretty much all of them are fun, unless they have those little statues that never ever stop spitting bullets.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man, it took me a flat out week to beat The Purist in WotL.

Got it on my second try in Rebirth :smug:

Pixeltendo posted:

Protip if you pick up the Jera useable, bring it to the shop and get free pickups!

Noice

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kubla Khan posted:

Hi, I'm completely new and looking to get into this. Should I get the old Isaac or play Rebirth in its current state?

Rebirth is better in most every way unless you're one of those people who gets mad at video-game music.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So I know enough about piano to fumble my way around a one-handed melody, but whenever I try to add chords with the left hand, I just get so loving confused. I'm always left wondering how on earth people learn how to manage playing two separate parts with both hands. I get the same befuddlement when I pick up the Ludovico Technique.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress me, the full health pills no longer give ??? anything.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man, everyone loves Azazel, but I can't get anything going in the late game unless I've found some kind of major augment to his Brimstone. If it's still shooting barely in front of his face, I'm not beating It Lives, no loving way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I just got a Forever Alone fly from a key begger. They do pay out!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, this game stopped working. All I get when I start it is the audio.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Hmmm, this game stopped working. All I get when I start it is the audio.

Took care of this by deleting the options.ini. I think that's the go-to move for a few problems.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

13/f/cali posted:

Okay unless there's something I just don't understand the dead boy trophy on the PSN version must just be bugged because I have beaten chest and dark room without taking damage. I assumed this meant that I had to beat Mega Satan undamaged to make the trophy count, and after many attempts and studying its attacks like crazy I got it.

Then the trophy STILL didn't pop. Anyone have any outside knowledge or any ideas? I am 100% sure I didn't get hit.

Someone on reddit is claiming this achievement is bugged, and no one will be able to get 100% until it's fixed. So bummer for those two guys playing it nonstop till they're done.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is there a keyboard shortcut for "gently caress it, just restart"?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

This is what I did and it didn't take me that long at all. I had an easier time of it then getting the Mullibooms for the Isaac death.

I haven't managed to test whether the rumor that you can use seeds is true, but if it is, here's a seed for anyone looking to unlock The Lost with Isaac.

67L3 2KHC

There's something in the room to the north of the first room to hurt you down to half a heart and a multiboom in the first room to the south to finish you off.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Welp, just did the specific deaths and didn't unlock The Lost. Are there criteria other than the specific deaths? Like, do I need to unlock the missing poster or do I need to beat The Lamb or some other boss?

Did it with seeded runs too, so maybe that doesn't work.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Standing in the corner dodges the beam sweep 95% of the time.

And Brimstone worked with Chocolate milk even in the original, what are you on about?

I think the beam sweeps will hit 2 corners. If it starts in a corner, then the corners adjacent to that corner are safe. If it doesn't start in a corner, then the corner opposite of it is safe.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Haha, just went all the way to Satan with Azazel to unlock The Lost. Didn't think about Daddy Longlegs until I had beaten The Fallen and had to watch helplessly as Daddy Longlegs stomped Satan to death before he could kill me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

13/f/cali posted:

Couldn't you just have exited to menu and then picked continue, restarting the fight or does it remember which form you were on when you left off?

Maybe. I thought all you could do was restart to still unlock properly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stokes posted:

So do you all just immediately sever a run if you don't get a good damage up item in the first two levels? The starting damage is still entirely too low for it to be worth your time otherwise, at least in my opinion.

Basically. Thankfully, damage up items are way, way more prevalent in Rebirth than WotL. Even Cat O Nine Tails has it now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, I got super meat boy. Didn't think that'd happen in a random run.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CaptainWinky posted:

I hate Carrion Queen too and scramble to kill it in the boss rush, but the other bosses will sometimes kill themselves on the red poops which is pretty great. I am sad that rooms with red poops near the entrances are still a thing though.

Yeah, I let her poo poo all over the boss rush room because a lot of the bosses will take a lot of damage from it. The room is big enough to fight one boss in a red-poo poo-free area while the other one kills itself.

The hardest boss rush boss is Death. Those loving scythes aren't so bad in a small room, where you can see them spawn, but in the big room your first glimpse of them is often after they've started to fly at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man, I just cannot beat The Lamb. The Dark Room is just so brutal. This room with 2 mega fatties and one of those gray rolly bosses is much harder than The Lamb itself. I've gotten through it a couple of times and reached The Lamb with about 3 hearts left and came real close to beating it anyway both times.

Edit: Oh cool, got him down to like 10% health and the Wafer didn't pop on his brimstone and took away a full heart. Died with a full health pill in my back pocket because I thought I was safe :(

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 13, 2014