Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HGH posted:

Since when does the Wafer have to activate? I thought it worked at all times for all damage?

I don't know how it works. I said it didn't "pop", but what I meant was, it didn't work at all for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dizz posted:

I really like bosses like Pin where they have an unexplained movement pattern and you can't tell where they're coming from because there's no indication where they're at until they burst from the floor at you.

Not to ruin it for you, but if you hug the south wall, Pin will always charge at you from the north.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

omeg posted:

The same thing but about every burrowing mob, that just wastes your time. And ghosts, gently caress ghosts.

Ghosts wreck my poo poo. Is there some strategy to make them easier? I can mostly keep them firing in the wrong direction, but they always manage to corner me somehow.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Magres posted:

What does Guppy even do? I've never gotten him in WotL or Rebirth even though I've put 100+ hours in between the two of them :smith:

(I also don't aggressively seek Guppy items because I've never actually seen enough of them to get him in one run so I've never had any AW SHUCKS I MISSED GUPPY moments)

Also, advice for getting the damned cat trio put together?

Guppy is a lot easier to get in Rebirth because the items that can turn you into him have increased. I got Platinum God on WotL, and it was one of the last achievements I got, and I had to actively go looking for it. I accidentally turned into Guppy on, like, my 5th run in Rebirth. Curse rooms are your friend if you want Guppy, as they have red chests, which have a lot of Guppy items, and they'll also just spawn Guppy items straight-up.

The new Guppy items are a lot easier to take in Rebirth. The collar and hairball don't require you to make any hard choices, they just add to your game. After that, Guppy's Tail is a good item as it boosts the number of gold chests. Dead cat is worthless unless you get it on the first floor. Guppy's paw is super situational, and I usually take it only if it's the third Guppy item I need.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Guppy's Paw is actually very good if you have a lot of heart containers. Quadruple health against the final boss is pretty significant.

Does it run over the 12-heart limit? I could see it being really good if that's the case.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Infested Baby is the 2nd best familiar for sure, because those attack flies scale with your damage and he never stops producing them. If you have some other way of generating soul hearts, he might be the best.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

Is it just me, or does picking up Experimental Treatment do more harm than good?

Yeah, I think so too. Especially if you have a high damage run going.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They're just really, really big tall piles of poop. It makes perfect sense.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

Why are you all hating on the cellar? It's not like it's a super difficult area that will wreck your poo poo. Unless I'm some kind of godlike Isaac player and the only one who can handle it. Which is something I greatly doubt.

It's not that it wrecks you, but getting Devil/Angel rooms is key to getting a run going that will take you all the way to the endgame. Losing red hearts on the floor or in the boss fights prevent that. The Cellar doesn't outright destroy you, but you're a lot more likely to lose red hearts on the floor or get your soul heart reserve drained by the floor and have none left to protect you from the boss.

Most of the runs where I get to Womb 2 and realize my build is too weak to do poo poo on the next floors, I haven't gotten many Devil/Angel deals.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Had ipcac, picked up Libra from clearing the boss rush, all of a sudden I'm machine-gunning explosive shots all over the place. It was basically uncontrollable. Died pretty quickly after that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

I have an Eden run that started with Krampus' Head, Mom's Lipstick and 1 red heart. First item room has the Satanic Bible. Which should I keep?

I'd go with Satanic Bible. Having a source of sin hearts allows you to ditch your red hearts and make up for the damage you lose from not taking Krampus' Head.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So somebody earlier in the thread mentioned they were getting a crazy slowdown effect. I'm getting that now too (definitely not the computer), along with frequent crashing. Did they get a solution to that problem?

Edit: NM. Reinstall solved the problem.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 17, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm disappointed they nerfed the one-heart challenge rooms. It was cool having a guaranteed item in that room that could bail you out of trouble or just be a high-risk pickup.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

13/f/cali posted:

Blue Mom likes to summon greed heads which is just the worst thing.

Yeah, red Mom is a breeze because most of the fight is stomping in an easy pattern.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

First time having a good chance with ???. And then I find this, so hard to resist...What to do?

I think if you've got a shitload of items, the dice room usually makes you overpowered. I've never had a late reroll gently caress me up, only the early ones.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Will getting a bandage girl from monster manual and sharp plug count for the achievement? I got super lucky to get a meat boy legit. I just need bandage girl, a couple of the bullshit challenges that I've been putting off because they're no fun, and probably a few items to get platinum god.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Suicide King challenge. Picked up the thing that gives you "splash damage" which splits the shot into four smaller shots after it hits. Added Ring Worm as well for shits and giggles. I don't know how to make gifs, but let me assure you, it's hilarious.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shock Trooper posted:

Getting Ring Worm was the only way I could consistently hit anything on Suicide King.

Oh, good call. I'll have to keep an eye out. I think I'll need something like that to beat the challenge.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Florian isn't part of the Rebirth team.

Ohhhhh ok

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well, got everything but Bandage Girl. With the expanded item pool, breaking runs seem to be a lot harder to come by. I've played a lot and I've seen like, 5 D20s, and the other option seems to be ipecac + habit + pyro, which is a lot of items to stack up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Anyone gotten the, I think, new 2 by 2 room with 4 rotating laser eyes in the middle around 4 magnets with 6 mom hands? It's the loving devil.

Edit: Also, they moved the poops in front of the doors in the infamous red-poop room one tile off the doors. Good call.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 9, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
MissingNo is a lot of fun. A character reroll at the start of every floor. I wish it wasn't so rare.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kemikalkadet posted:

Never seen that one. I think it's amazing that in over 200 hours played I still see rooms I've never seen before semi-regularly.

I think they added it in the last update.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kemikalkadet posted:

I'm not sure if it's the same room but I remember a screenshot posted near release of a large room with 4 magnets in the centre. Someone had flight and slow movement speed and got stuck in the middle without the speed to escape the magnets.

Yeah, that's it. Man, I've been playing this game a ton and never hit that until a couple of days ago.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ThaumPenguin posted:

Isn't Libra particularly nasty when it comes to balancing already high damage? Or am I misreading the wiki:

I assume that's a bad thing.

Definitely. Damage is the best stat, but it's not as uber-important as it was in the original I think.

I wouldn't mind Libra if it balanced out a high damage run by boosting speed and tears a lot, but I think it also distributes the points among the less worthwhile stats like shot speed, luck and health.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

I just had an infinite Undefined run going that I ended after getting nothing but HP Ups. That was fun. A bit disappointing when my giant scythes got overwritten, but not as disappointing as knowing it's impossible to break the game any harder than I already did.

It feels like certain things just "stick" when you're rerolling your whole character. Once you're lord of the flies, it's not going away. It doesn't seem like the HP ups go away either. I had a fun D100 game going the other day, but I ended up with a Cursed Eye/Soy Milk combination that would never go away.

I think one or two rerolls with a dice room or something is the optimal play. Everytime I've rerolled into something insanely broken, it's been on the first or second.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finally got Real Platinum God! Got the Epic Fetus, Pyromaniac, Sharp Plug combo that let me roll the chest into a monster manual that eventually yielded a bandage girl.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I know when the choice is roll the treasure room or roll the 2-item shop, the correct choice is shop, but I'll be damned if it ever seems to get me anything good.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why are soul hearts better than red hearts? Red hearts get dropped more often and can be used as currency.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe a spider transformation, Zodiac transformation

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Did the update add items and characters?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's a damage cap? gently caress that. One of the big problems with the original was the lack of damage-up items anyway. Rebirth is a huge step up in that regard.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I've gotten more Stevens then Godheads. I swear I've only gotten Godhead 2 or 3 times.

I love how the Savior Mod has rooms that let you restart the Chest. Now I don't have to retire my awesome builds until I'm done marveling at them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Alright, my favorite build yet. I've had more powerful ones, but this is just too fun. Linking because I don't know how to make a nongigantic gif.

Seed is JH62 YVSF, although I wasn't exactly keeping notes, so I don't remember what I rolled when to get all this. The Chest loops at least 3 times.

Edit: Oh yeah, Savior Modded though. Should have mentioned that.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 30, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

And any idea what the tag "jzfK" might refer to?

Half a seed with the rest to come later?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

play nuclear throne instead

Oh thanks, this totally owns

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can objectively that it's harder because I'm not getting past the 4th level, but for some reason it feels like I'm the greatest player that ever lived at it. Jukes are too good

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fuccccckkk. Took forever and the stars finally aligned and I had the blank card, a 2 of diamonds and a battery in the store so I could finally get the hourglass and pump the greed machine, and I picked up Little Baggy and there goes my 2 of diamonds. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aw, Stopwatch is only super powerful now instead of game-breakingly powerful. I liked having the "I win" option.