Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Hey I have a good brimstone ??? run, but i just found a soul converter. I don't wanna risk it, but I'm curious what would happen.
would it just create a heart container that would be replaced with a soul heart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

Who are the grey people frozen in certain rooms? Should I blow them up? They seem so sad.

they're just there. probably old shop owners or eople who lost their way...

it's sad but if you blow them up you get items

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i did some good runs a couple hours ago

ArfJason posted:

i just:

-attempted a ??? run for the first time where i almsot got momma's boy. first time to the cathedral too:

-did my first isaac cathedral run:

-did my first hard mode run with isaac (epic randomizer room gave me lil brimstone):

-attempted suicide king for the first time and almost got it

still pissed at losing suicide king at womb 2 and getting hit as ??? by It Lives right as it dies, robbing me of momma's boy.

also on release day, my second run:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

You also unlock something if you blow up many enough.

huh? I've blown up a lot, what is it?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
trying to get mullibooms to spawn in basement is more boring than i thought it'd be

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

the enemies that go into the ground can now come back up right under you

this ruined 4 no damage womb attempts

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also check this out:
http://imgur.com/a/Ffztt

apparently in pacifism challenge all doors remain open including secret rooms. if you enter a secret room leaving enemies faffing about, leave, and reenter, it'll dupe stuff including the bums.

also happens in the arcade

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
j

VDay posted:

Yeah it's kind of annoying since it's so RNG based. Still, it goes by somewhat quickly if you just hold down R and wait for a big square (2x2) room. At least then you're just checking a room every few seconds rather than wasting time constantly going into every little room.

Speaking of the Lost:

:toot:

No idea what I did wrong last night though to not get him. Glad it wasn't bugged or you need to meet some obscure special condition. Everything went pretty smoothly, with the Azazel run being especially hilarious. Got Ludo and a dark bum super early, cruised through to Satan on auto-pilot. Had a brief moment of sheer panic when I realized that the Ludo brim circle might be so big that it'll hit Satan's second form, but luckily that wasn't the case.

Now to get the D100 :suicide:
just died on the judas part of the chain to unlock the lost. had too much speed and accidentally ran over a deal with the devil lmao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

NoUU posted:

It's dumb that people are using an exploit to get the hardest achievements, it's dumber that Nicalis let such an obvious exploit through.

there's like a trillion different items and some characters have unique properties so I'm really not surprised.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i think i recall them saying they didnt want to make dlc, but i could be imagining things.
it'd be a shame because with an item based game like this you come up with some cool poo poo and modifiers and code some interactions and you get set for like 10 more hours of content

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
nvm, i was wrong

Q: Will you be adding day one DLC!? i feel like the game is already ending and i need moar!!!! tell me you will be making dlc!!!!
A: NO! you have no idea how many times this is asked, the game isnt out yet. only assholes plan day one dlc that isnt included in the games release! i dont even plan dlc till a game comes out and i see what worked and what didnt. if rebirth does well and people want more, and i can dredge up more ideas.. then yes one day there will be more.. but dont ask till its out!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

im gay posted:

I need help badly. I played the original BoI briefly and learned the basics. After playing Rebirth I seem to be struggling on Normal with Isaac and I only have 1 mom kill out of 30+ deaths. Is this normal? Should I be resetting if I have bad spawns on floor one?

Any advice other than playing slow? Are there any guides for intermediate players?

You guys all seem to have lots of completed things and I'm nowhere near any of that.

at first, if you didn't play the original a lot like most of us, you ARE gonna die a lot because of lack of familiarity and good unlocked items/knowing how to use some stuff effectively. 30 deaths and 1 mom kill for someone who is more or less inexperienced is alright.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i forget to say it every time, but gently caress those brimstone spiders.
gently caress their super fast charge, and the fact that the hitbox for their brimstone remains the same even when the animaiton shows a vanishing thin line

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i wouldn't care so much about brimstone spiders if they, along with those assholes that spawn from the ground on your feet on womb hadn't ruined almost every good momma's boy run i had

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
just lost a completely bonkers Lost run with whore of babylon, the mark and lil brimstone to super peep (the one with loving instabrimstone). it was to one of his eyes though

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I got guppy and infestation 2.

So many buggies.

infestation shot is the poo poo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yeah, he's a piece of poo poo.

also the lost is surprisingly not as tedious as i thought he'd be. Flying plus decent speed makes him a weaker ranged azazel and i sorta dig it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Somehow, my first Isaac kill came with... Blue Baby. I had not gotten any damage upgrades during the whole run, except Bob's Brain. However, I DID have Holy Mantle, Wafer, Item Martyr+Bob's Head, and max spirit hearts, so I could out last Isaac. It was also my second time playing Blue Baby in Rebirth.

my first ??? run ended with my first isaac defeat

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
well, another good The Lost run failed but this time due to mega fatty's instant buttstomp
i had like 5 speed up pills on me and i was circling yet i still couldn't avoid him

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
another thing that has cost me so many lost runs:
enemies that home in on you and if you want any chance at getting on with it and killing them to move on you hit them, which causes them to gain momentum in strange directions. most likely towards you.

haunt, the fetus part of any gemini like boss, those retarded turd bosses, the guy that looks like gourdy, etc etc.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the other day i was playing as the lost, and got pyromaniac. I thought "Oh goodie, the I-Wish-I-Had-Ipecac item"

next floor on a challenge room i find ipecac.
then blasting rocks i find a treasure room with 5 devil deals including damage up and There's Options.

fighting larry Jr he turns around in front of me and his tail somehow hits me.

I'm still salty about that.

Anyway, yesterday I finally got my first heart kill as The Lost, and I'm on a run right now with the holy mantle found on first floor. Anything important I should know about its mechanics? Can I exit curse rooms safely?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Davincie posted:

if the curse room is next to the room you start in, don't enter it! the holy mantle isn't activated at first. so go into another room first and then go back and it will work safely as long as you don't get hit in the curse room

ah cool, also i might just have hosed myself out of a run:

Presenting: Ipecac.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
jesus christ

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

your dude done look like a shy guy

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
progress on my current The Lost run:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
:O

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
loving finally

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ahahahahaha holy poo poo, if you hit the I AM ERROR room in the chest there is a beam of light in the middle which restarts the chest all over again with the same layout, enemies and chests

I had the habit and used a room with spike blocks + top secret room full of hearts to charge undefined and redo the chest about 5 times

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

oh hey talk about coincidences

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
so

i got ipecac, right

then i got stuff like pentagram, the pact, all that jazz, good stuff

then i get monstros lung without recognizing what it was at first
ok this build is cumbersome but powerful, i might kill myself accidentally
on the devil room after mom's foot i build guppy, ok cool
boss rush, eve's mascara, which gives you even more damage up

while im trying to kill stuff, I notice enemies for some reason just never showed up at all

turns out my flies are literally one hit killing everythign

I didn't even see the carrion queen.

and it's true, a single fly killed the bloat, a single fly took death from one phase, and the other killed it outright.
im gonna record the mom heart fight because i imagine it won't last more than 10 seconds

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh i forgot im also lazarus revived which afaik has a larger base damage stat

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pixeltendo posted:

whats the code for it

whoops have no screens and checking the log i can't find it. Sorry :shobon:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Toothache posted:

So, the last thing I have to do for The Lost is the boss rush. Been trying that for some time, but my caution in playing him does tend to slow me down. Had my best chance in a while though: started with Soy Milk and Daddy Long Legs, pretty nice. Didn't get a huge amount in the way of raw damage ups, Lump of Coal being the nicest one I had, but the Daddy Long Legs did help immensely. Got to Depths 2 with 4 minutes to go, pretty standard, but had a very long run to get to the Mom fight and finished 10 seconds short of the boss rush. Still, I feel like I'm more confident of pulling it off, given I had no Dead Cat and no Holy Mantle to support me, starting to get the speed required now, I hope.

today i missed my chance at an eve hard mode boss rush because i got curse of the lost on the last floor and despite my best efforts i reached the boss door at 20m10s

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Jibo posted:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that the Soul is actually just a chance to bend the bullets and not a conditional bullet bender. I don't really have anything to base this on other than my own experiences with it and the stop watch and it and dry baby.

I'd really like to take a peak at the code for this game.

I don't even try for the boss rush these days and the majority of the time I'm killing mom between 19 and 22 minutes. It leads to me to believe that it really is one of the better thought out aspects of this game. The time limit can come natural unless you get poo poo like curse of the lost or really unlucky with curse of the maze and avoid time sinks like the arcade. Otherwise you push a bit and you might still make it.

Funny thing is i didnt even try for boss rushes with the previous 4 characters and got them first try. Just not eve though. Hard mode btw

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
You can also check platinumgod.co.uk and type Special into the search bar

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Can you make chad spawn hearts in eternal heart secret rooms? Or any other heart spawner i guess

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Like if you took fanny pack or gimpy and something like the razor would those be affected

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
That shadow on the giant tear picture is not the tears shadow, but an overlay present in the chest (isaac looking into the chest? Mom?)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Also for that on guy who asked how to win at isaac.
You have to have in mind the quirks of many mechanics, like entering rooms from secret rooms, when to abuse stuff like bombs are key, cards, bombing donation machines and also the.shopkeeper at once.

But easily the most important thing is finding soul hearts, since they dont count as red.heart damage. not getting red heart damage on a.floor significantly raises your chance at a devil deal, and beating the boss without red heart damage raises it even further.

Tldr get soul hearts early, play smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sacrifice rooms (the ones with the spikes in the middle) on the other hand are almost never worth it. I can't really think of too many situations where you would want to make use of those.

those suck a lot. guaranteed chest at 1 heart but its never ever worth it