Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

flatluigi posted:

So what exactly can a 2D game look like if the art style can't look pixelated but it also can't look smooth like a flash game

SMB/ Braid etc

I don't get people not liking "pixel art", it isn't really one monolithic thing other than that the pixels are visible. Terraria looks different from Starbound, Luftrausers looks different from Nuclear Throne and so on. If literally every game was trying to look like it was made on the SNES or something it would be dumb but that's not it; people use it because it's one of the easiest styles there is to pull off that actually looks good (newgrounds flash is probably easier but it's lacking in the 'looks good' part).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Ironically the fancy cinematics are probably the worst looking part of the game

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It really bothers me that I don't find Isaac disgusting anymore

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
jesus christ who thought it was a good idea to let awkward nerds skype in :gonk:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Is anyone still watching Northernlion's stream 'cause wow

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh, here I thought I was just super good for getting basement boy on my first run :sigh:

polycephalus + number one + cancer + a couple of other tears ups, it was insane. Even the headless enemies that shoot out towards you couldn't get a hit there was too much knockback :getin:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Poizen Jam posted:

Most of the times it seems the best option is to stand in the opposite corner from where it starts, but sometimes the safe corner it directly down from where it starts. How do you know, or is it just a chance thing?

The one adjacent up/down from the opposite corner of where it starts is always safe, I'm pretty sure, or at least I've never been hit going there.

alternatively you can just be invulnerable:

(yes I did in fact just stand there doing nothing for 10 minutes while demon baby plinked away)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Justin_Brett posted:

Couple runs ago I ran into a room in the Depths with two of those invincible skull heads and a single worm on a platform in the corner. I had picked up Soy Milk, and if I didn't have Bandage Girl with me that would have been it. I mean, c'mon.

The doors will eventually open automatically if you can't clear a room, it just takes a while.

that room is bullshit though, I see it all the time and fairly frequently I can only just hit the worm. I've had runs where I definitely wouldn't have been able to. There are a whole lot more "gently caress you" rooms in Rebirth, it feels like.

Although I vaguely remember it being the same when WotL first came out, I guess they might prune some of them in patches.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Sanctum posted:

How do you get the room zoomed out like that? I'm always annoyed at the mini-map + consumables covering up the top corners of my screen.

Make the game window bigger

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
At least those are rare and hopefully you're overpowered/ have flight by that point. I can't stand the large room you get so much in the first few levels that's just a box of indestructible blocks with spike traps circling it, I never fail to take damage on it.

Actually all the passive obstacle rooms suck when you have to go through them multiple times, I never pay attention on cleared rooms so I just blindly walk into something.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
^^ mushrooms also drop magic mushroom. if you have the bombs, blow up everything. especially with the trapdoors they added that can be under any rock

zolthorg posted:

The issue is he was right that backtracking was a bad problem in the game. The problem was exacerbated by not fixing the backtracking, just punishing you moreso with hearts rather then just time when you do so now. The correct solution would have been to make these trap rooms disable or weaken after you clear them once (say, spawn an offswitch for some spikes on the room after you enter it for the first time) and make the room generation still produce branches, but lead to more loop shaped routes that allowed you to get back to a branch youve been to before but whilst continually moving forwards.

I really respect Ed as a game designer for the most part, but I do feel there are some really poor choices in how Isaac is designed- the main one being just how many self sacrifice items and objects there are (and how Ed himself has said that's his favourite playstyle), but rather than the game giving you risk/reward for it, it just punishes you for using them since you won't be able to get any devil rooms.

also hardmode blows, it's not harder, just more tedious.

CJacobs posted:

Is there any actual good reason to pick up My Reflection? It halves your range no matter what it currently is because of the tears bending and if you have an explosive shot it can easily get you to kill yourself. :geno:

it can be really fun. especially with piercing tears. i had tammy's body + parasite + Sagittarius + my reflection once, it was insanely fun until i had 3 rooms in a row that were basically impossible for me to clear.

also i just blew the best lost run i could have hoped for:

a greed head jumped over a rock half a second before i managed to freeze :smith:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 19, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
it's tied to damage now. to be honest i think it's a good change, it can still be strong if you get really high damage, and it still means you get every secret room and rock secret in the game. if you want the super-op one there's still epic fetus for that (unless they nerfed that too? i haven't actually tried it, i hope they didn't nerf it)

Manatee Cannon posted:

Azazel is far and away the best character to start with. Anyone can get as good as he is, but nobody starts as powerful except Eden when the RNG favors you.

speaking of eden, what's the best eden start people have gotten?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm just hoping there's gonna be another invincibility bug, I wish I'd been paying attention when the cat thing was still in. :mad:

otherwise i am literally never unlocking stuff for the lost. i got to the depths three times and died to random poo poo that should never kill you so i've kind of lost heart with trying

edit: i wouldn't be nearly as bothered if they hadn't gated two incredibly cool items behind him

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
That's what's so good about it; Eden's the only character I'll actually play a bad/mediocre run with 'cause I don't want to waste the token. I hope they don't change it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Plays into our minds dude. It's like Spelunky daily challenges (in fact I'm pretty sure that's where Ed got it from); a lot of people are only willing to play seriously if there's that artificial scarcity.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Manatee Cannon posted:

But it's nothing like the daily challenge? Dunno where you're getting that from.

it is in the sense that it pressures you to actually complete runs rather than needlessly restart, which is half of what people liked about spelunky's. there was an interview or whatever half a year ago where ed was talking about liking that in spelunky and wanting it in isaac.

Synastren posted:

I like playing Eden because it's a randomized character.

I would still play Eden if the coin limit were removed, because there are no other randomized characters.

thats a good point. they should have just put in an actual daily challenge too.

there'll be a spidermod or whatever soon that lets you play eden unlimitedly though i'm sure

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Power of Pecota posted:

Nothing too crazy without something else, although I did beat the Head Trauma challenge with that combo

penetrating shots in general completely salvage soy milk i find; the biggest issue with it for me is that the shots do so much knockback individually that only a handful of them hit. when they can't knockback, they actually start being at least workable.

has anyone had soy milk with ipecac yet?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I just found out that if you ever get soy milk, pray for Libra. Instantly maxed out all my stats, I was gushing tears out of my stupid little face and one-hitting almost everything until the late levels.

Poizen Jam posted:

If Brimstone had the teleport drawback, it would still be super good.

I think cursed eye is pretty okay but it would definitely be better like this. Some really powerful item with a slightly annoying drawback.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Alkydere posted:

Eh, honestly if I knew how I'd just edit my save to have the lost/his items unlocked.

For real though if anyone knows how to do this it'd be great. I'm probably gonna give in and just download a 100% save eventually but a file with actually-my-stats aside from The Lost unlocks would be better for sure.

edit: alternatively does anyone know a seed with gnawed leaf + holy mantle + some kind of passive damage so I can just run isaac in the background for a while

Koramei fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 11, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Toothache posted:

PJXX Q94D - pretty much the most perfect start you can have for The Lost. Ipecac + Holy Mantle for first floor, Dead Cat in devil room. You can even purchase the Stopwatch in Depths 1. Almost had my boss rush out of this if it were not for The Bloat.

wait is there a way to cheese with seeds again? I thought they disabled that

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Dr. Fetus posted:

-The D6 has a 20% chance to destroy an item

every other change in this update sounds like absolute poo poo but I actually really like this change. especially in original isaac where it was so overpowered.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah but I think that's mostly just 'cause I'd played so much of the original.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Air is lava! posted:

Aren't items supposed to make your character somewhat better?

not at all, there are a bunch of items that completely screw you over. I think this will be great.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
why does it have to be useful :confused: since when was that a prerequisite for items. there are a bunch of useless or annoying items in the game as it is. this is why curse of the blind exists.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Continuum tears and cricket's body is absolutely insane, I just sit in the corner of a room and shoot at the wall and the entire room gets filled.

and with that I beat Greed Mode in an absolute breeze, but then ran into midas'd ultra-greed without realising it would end the game and missed out on whatever else there was in that room. anyone else know? I guess I'll have to beat it again. That boss fight looks like hell on most setups though wow.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 30, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
the new early boss track is grating on me already, it seems way more repetitive than most of the music

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

I don't see why they'd overtly lie on the store page about how many new items there are. It seems like Ed probably just wants to have a whole bunch of surprises coming like he intended with The Lost, and to stop people from datamining it this time he just made it literally impossible by not patching them into the game yet. Maybe the Greed donation machine will let you go higher when more stuff is added or something.

either that or he really is incredibly out of touch, 'cause while Greed mode is sort of entertaining, there's no way this is 100+ hours of new content except for the most dedicated of players.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

BillmasterCozb posted:

Apparently Ultra Greed scales with how long you take to kill Monstro.

:wtc:

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I guess if you include the regular game, I can see it. It's just Greed mode is so SAME with every character, and no real varied stages that after clearing it, there isn't much reason to play it over the normal game. If each stage had a different layout, or random obstacles each time, I could see it being a legit 100+ hour expansion. Its like The UNDERDOME RIOT for Borderlands where sure there are different bad guys but the levels were the same each time you played, so there wasn't much reason to go back. Perhaps I am asking too much.

If there really is gonna be more stuff unlocked going forward things could change, but right now I feel like the novelty of the expansion's already worn off for me, which I'm a bit disappointed by. Everyone's measure of what they're willing to put 100 hours into varies, and I guess my tolerance is lower these days than when Rebirth first came out, but for Ed to be claiming 100+ hours I'd have hoped there'd be a little more to this. 100 hours is a tall order for a content-rich RPG, let alone a fairly one-note horde mode and a handful of new items.

Not like indie developers aren't allowed to make hyperbolic claims though I guess, and once the quirks get patched out it'll still be a pretty good expansion, even if there's nothing especially groundbreaking about it.

e: doesn't help that, even though I hadn't played Isaac at all since December, I've still been listening to Northernlion's loving livestream regularly, and it's pretty much all he plays, so my mind has become totally numb to the game at this point. These days I kind of scoff at the idea of Isaac being endlessly replayable, but that's probably a self inflicted condition

Koramei fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
he's also been super petulant about the whole Lost thing so him trying to one-up the dataminers sounds totally plausible