Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Dead baby jokes? I don't recall.

I do remember a lot of dead babies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
89% the original and I'm a-ok with that. I'll aim for better this time around.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Eonwe posted:

I don't blame people for not 100% it after the expansion came out. It really hosed the balance over, which is probably my only real complaint about the game.

To be honest I find playing without the expansion to be a lot more fun.

I don't think that was the problem for me. I think the expansion was good for experienced players but really hurt the people who bought both the base and expansion together and started with Lamb content.

The only achievements I'm missing are Chest achievements and Dark Boy. I just don't feel like grinding along for them and burning out on the game right before Rebirth.

PostNouveau posted:

I've got the whole collection and all the no-hit achievements, but I can't figure out what necromancy it takes get the ???'s Soul and Eve's Bird Foot achievements to pop.

I got ???'s Soul by beating the Chest with Cain.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Magres posted:

Yeah the problem is that WotL both makes the game harder and introduces a slew of items that are terrible. WotL adds some really, really awesome powerups but also adds a bunch of stuff that's hot garbage (Pageant Boy and The Box really come to mind)

I was playing the other day and got The Box as a reward for beating the first boss. It's no health boost but I didn't find it to be complete garbage.

It gave me Cancer though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tracula posted:

One thing they really need to address in Rebirth is the D6. Unlocking it is a challenge but Isaac is just too loving good with it. I could see giving him the D20 to reroll hearts and keys and stuff to give him an advantage but turning The Poop into Mom's Knife (extreme example) is way, way too powerful.

Why does it matter if it's strong? You have to play the game on... 8 other characters now to 100% it? Let the Isaac and Cain be easy-mode. There's plenty of difficulty with other characters.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Choco1980 posted:

So do you think that means things like the pony exploit will still be in Rebirth? You know, where if you don't move or hit any of the arrow keys you're invincible, and you can still use the mouse to attack without activating the charge?

The game was rewritten from the ground up. There's no reason to suspect it will have the same glitches.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Motherfucker posted:

These arbitrary deadlines are dog poo poo. :mad:

What deadlines?

The time of day Steam always updates with new games?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why is the Thin Mushroom skippable? Much higher rate of fire at the cost of a little bit of damage. Seems good to me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's been 5 minutes. Hardly a time to panic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Have you tried unplugging the computer and blowing into the wall socket?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

HGH posted:

Someone said it was delayed to match the PS4 release or something.
Doesn't help that Tyrone was doing a twitter countdown too.

Tyrone Rodriguez @tyronerodriguez · 3m 3 minutes ago
The big Red launch button is at Valve, not @nicalis HQ
0 replies 57 retweets 61 favorites

Tyrone Rodriguez @tyronerodriguez · 3m 3 minutes ago
Standby, were checking
0 replies 64 retweets 64 favorites

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What does Rainbow Poop do?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm liking the Decoy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can't believe how worthless Cursed Eye is. There's very few items I want less.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Edmund Honda posted:

The Beans! challenge should have a hardcoded rule to not spawn the 'Bombs are Key' pill.

I gave that challenge a few attempts today. Hit Bombs are Key on my first try. Ran out of bombs by the final floor on the next. A few deaths. Gave up on it and one-shot the Solar System. Didn't expect that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've gotten the Book of Revelations on Floor 1 twice recently and each time I only got 3 meats/bandages even without double sized floors. I'm not sure what's going on.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

What games is it referencing?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Had 5 hearts when I started this room. My damage output wasn't high. Maybe I could have bombed out of here. I can't remember if they're sealed in the Chest. Sometimes the game just hates you.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
For some reason the Holy Mantle isn't working in greed mode for the Lost.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
From the start of the run? Never actually turns on, even though it has the blue glow.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

chippy posted:

It was working fine for me last night!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That seems like something that should have been fixed a year ago.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
For the past couple days my game runs at half speed, but only if I'm on fullscreen mode. Looks like it's time to take out Hush with the Lost and Keeper.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wow. The Afterbirth Challenges are absolute bullshit. Each and every single one so far. They're not even fun. Like having all three bombs on BRAINS and it takes 3 seconds of holding the fire button for one to launch.

I just tried speed. Had the Bible and every other advantage I could possibly get except anything that revealed the map and I still was several rooms short of getting to Mom's Heart before that timer ran out. EVERY SINGLE FLOOR the boss room was the last thing I discovered.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SiKboy posted:

Most of them are unfun bullshit, but XXXXXXXL (or however many X it has) is fun, or at least I really enjoyed it. Its also pretty easy and I was slightly annoyed I cleared it first attempt because when I'm playing Isaac I like to have a goal of unlocking something or other and now I have no reason to play it again while I still have some of the unfun bullshit ones uncleared.

You're right. That's the only one I have completed.

Atomicated posted:

The insult to injury is that the challenges don't even have good unlocks to reward you for beating their unfun bullshit.

The items from Pay to Play (new pills), Have a Heart (new pills), Blue Bomber (Gold Bomb), Speed (Get out of Jail Free Card), and Brains (Stud Finder) would be beneficial in the long grind in finishing up the rest of my achievements but gently caress if I can be bothered now. I thought doing greed enough times across various characters was bad enough to get the Holy Mantle for the Lost and unlocking the Keeper.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I like being a completionist. I don't like tedium for the sake of tedium.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Two afternoons later.

gently caress the BRAINS! Challenge. Also got Speed! the other day.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 11, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SiKboy posted:

I find the best thing about some of the challenges is the knowledge after you beat it that you never have to go near it again.

I managed the Keepers mega-satan mark the other day too. Actually the next run after I posted about it, got an early angel room (and if I remember right once you have half the key you are more likely to get another angel room to get the other half, which I did), a pair of flies, a ball of bandages, daddy longlegs, piggy bank and holy mantle. Got a chaos card in the Cathederal which let me skip mega satans first form, and that was pretty much that. Now I have about 3 challenges left to finish. And in theory keeper boss rush, but I dont want to unlock the sticky nickels.

Doubt I'll ever get 1001% because there are a few keeper marks that I'd need to redo on Hard, and gently caress the keeper forever at this point. Unless he gets a serious rebalance in Afterbirth+. I really doubt they'll improve him enough for me to enjoy playing him (bump his luck up by 1 and give him the swallowed penny and he'd be actually fun, but theres no way they do that. Even a percentage chance to have the swallowed penny effect on hit would do), but you never know.

I've started doing Mega Satan again. I had done it once or twice before he was given achievements. They really changed that fight up but he's seems easier now.

I haven't played the Keeper much (I did manage to one-shot a greed run with him), but it seems like the Swallowed Penny guarantees a good run for him.

I retract my criticism of Blue Bomber. I didn't realize it started with Pyromaniac so Kamikaze does no self-damage.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 11, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:getin:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The same reason McMillen said Eve was his favorite character in the original. Tedium =? Fun.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's so bad about Stone Fatties?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Orange Harrison posted:

Well that was just a random example, but since most fatties are placed in rooms with 1-tile pathways where you're supposed to play off knockback, having one randomly spawn as unkillable doesn't feel incredibly fair.

No? That can happen but it's not predisposed to happen more frequently.

I remember when people whined their asses off about spiders being totally unfair bullshit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Orange Harrison posted:

I agree that Rag Man sucks though. His actual behavior is fine, the problem is his spiders have SO MUCH health that he's able to spawn them faster than you can kill them. If his spiders just had less health he'd be less annoying, even if he still had lots of HP himself.

If you shoot the head as it's rolling, you simultaneously deal damage to the uncreated spider and the boss. Even without upgrades it will die the first hit after turning into a full spider.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Orange Harrison posted:

Isn't this what toxic aura already does passively, in every room?

There's too many items that are just shittier versions of other items but in the same item pool.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Isaac 3, really.

and I don't see any reason why they can't redo the rarities for this game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Spergatory posted:

Curse of the maze can actually get you into locked rooms without a key if you RNG it hard enough.

I don't think so. Anytime you teleport or use secret rooms to get into a locked room, it becomes unlocked.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BreakAtmo posted:

but he just has so much health that his Transcendence shots can just gradually wear me down.

The thing about his transcendent tears is that every row of them in the same wave follow the exact same paths. For every new wave of them, you just have to find a single space to stand. Make minor adjustments for any other obstacles.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BreakAtmo posted:

Really? I thought they seemed to be moving. Thanks. I wish I could get more practice against him.

They do wiggle, but yeah, each row does follow the exact same path including the wiggle.

Also keep in mind that when Hush shoots out the transcendent tears initially, they're really high up and won't hit you until they cross the walls. Don't let those panic you especially if he's doing a few waves one after another in different directions.