Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

How are there still people who like the lovely newgrounds flash aesthetic

"It's different, therefore it sucks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Steam is now saying pre-load completed for me. Any word on if this means VPN shenanigans will work yet?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ariong posted:

I don't know how to link directly to it, but it's on the second page, four posts down. Also, you should really skim through the blog at least because there are some amazing gifs in there.

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/97013539659/rebirth-gets-flashy

Click on the "posted <time> ago" link for a permalink.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I have preloaded. I am ready for tomorrow.

....oh god I don't think I'm ready at all :gonk:

Are you going to try to delve into the code of this one too? :v:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

As absolutely awful as this is to watch, seeing actual gameplay and the dev Q&A are making this somewhat tolerable. If this whole thing is some sort of gimmick then... I don't get it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

^^^ :nsa:

Silentman0 posted:

I watched a little bit before the Rebirth stream, I think it's usually this awful.

In that case, I don't understand the appeal of this channel.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

This reminds me a lot of one of those awful shows TechTV or G4 would show. It has the same vibe of trying way too hard and general awkwardness.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Good lord, that Mom's Heart fight. :stare:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mewgenics apparently not canceled? New Meat Boy? Slow down Edmund, I can't handle this.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Einwand posted:

So I just beat mom with the bible, and I completed the purist challenge apparently?

I did the same thing. You unlocked the purist challenge, not beat it.

e: Beat Mom on my first run ever! It took me way too long to even get to Mom in the original.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

My first run ended in the room right before Mom.

I had the Bible.

:negative:

e: Won't be as disheartening if it turns out it doesn't one-shot Mom anymore, but :bang:

It totally does still one-shot Mom. Sorry, man.

Basement Boy complete! :woop:

Does anyone know what the clock symbol means in the between-levels screen? I can't figure it out.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Only played ~25 hours of the original way back when but also "beat" the game on the first try with daddy's long leg stomping on everything. Also got 99 bombs which was pretty great.

Can someone remind me of the hidden room logic, assuming it hasn't changed? The super secret one was in a place that isn't adjacent to more than one room, right? What about the normal one?

It's actually pretty complicated. Found this google doc from the original thread, but who knows what it's like in this one.

The Computer Savvy challenge is fun as hell.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I think I just noticed I've been playing on "hard". Is that the default mode? Whats the main difference between that and normal?

Normal is the default. No idea what the difference is.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

chippy posted:

You sure about this? I'm pretty sure my copy defaulted to hard.

Incidentally, if you choose hard, when you actually start the game, it flips back to normal just as the screen fades out. I don't know if it's resetting the actual difficulty, or if it's just a visual thing, but it's a bit odd.

e: Hard. Mine defaulted to hard.

Mine defaulted to Normal, and Edmund was making a pretty big deal about how different/difficult Hard mode is on that stream yesterday. Not sure what happened on yours, but I don't think that's intentional.

e: You can tell if it's actually on Hard mode if there's a blood splatter in the corner of the pause menu and a pentacle appears below the UI in-game.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

chippy posted:

I think it's due to what I mentioned above - if you start the game by pressing A on the pad, it flips the difficult as it fades out. I must have noticed I was on hard just as it faded out the first time. IF you start the game with a keyboard, it doesn't happen.

That could be it; I've only played on keyboard so far.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Someone Awful! posted:

Man, Are You A Wizard? pills are the worst thing and almost put me off gobbling floorpills entirely.

I reset a run because of those pills. gently caress those things.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CJacobs posted:

What does the paper in the top left of the character select screen mean?

For one of my characters it's this, but for everyone else it's blank.

Have you beaten the game with that character? I think that's what it tracks.

e: Didn't realize there was a new page.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Wugga posted:

Yeah so the achievements are definitely bugged:

I'd bet anything almost all of those are from people just using Steam Achievement Manager to unlock every achievement.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Once I beat Mom, do I need to play Hard mode to go further?

Nope.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

^^^ Spooky! Is Spirit of the Night, I think.

Are blue/x rocks in this one? I haven't seen a single one yet and I've done a bunch of runs.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Any chance of a screenshot? Maybe I just don't know what to look for this time around.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Slow Roll challenge is amazing. So satisfying after a string of lovely runs.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I bought this game having never played the original. I was surprised to beat it on my first try, but I suppose that's what happens when you play on normal and get a stupidly strong set of items. I have two questions though;

-Are those hidden rooms you need to find with bombs still in? I recall those from the videos I watched of the first game but have no clue how to locate them.
-Towards the end of my run I started teleporting randomly whenever I hit the space bar. It didn't seem to matter what item I was holding, I just kept warping around. Was the hell was going on?

Hidden rooms are still in. There's items that will auto-reveal them for you, but a good couple rules of thumb: Look for areas where the secret room can be adjacent to at least two or three rooms. They seem to be more likely there. The super secret room usually can only be adjacent to one room.

It's more complex than that, but that should give you a good starting point for what to look for.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Smornstein posted:

So what does the gimp mask do? I got it from Stan but didn't really figure out what it did.

Chance to drop a soul heart when you get damaged.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The win streak stat also tracks loss streaks. Now I can tell exactly how terrible I am at this game!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

What's the donation machine do? Usually it just stops accepting my coins real quick. Does it pay out at some point?

Better shops for later games. I think it expands them so they hold more items.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

You can't use the letters I, O, U or V in seeds.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Now that I think about it, "BOOB TUBE" is valid, so special seeds must be exempt from that rule.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"BOOB TOOB".

Also FART SNDS remains great.

Close enough, whatever. It still violates the no O rule though, so my point stands.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BlackFrost posted:

I just finished the technology challenge and after I beat mom a room opened up. There were four items to choose. Then it spawned every boss in the game, in pairs. Is this a challenge only thing or does it happen in the main game as well? That was awesome, if a little time consuming.

It happens every time you beat Mom under a certain time limit.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Goddamn, I cannot stand the Depths music. I understand it's supposed to be spooky and such...only there's a ding in it that sounds exactly like the buttons on my apartment's microwave. I keep hearing it and think someone's messing with the microwave.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. It took me way too long to figure out it was coming from the music and not actually my microwave.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

The D10 is has a goddamn evil mind of its own and should never be used. Sure go ahead and turn my room of little poops into loving mask of infamys.

Make sure you don't use it during the Gemini fight. Or Larry Jr. for that matter. Seriously.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Don't worry, you just fell prey to an old, old troll by the developers.

Anyways, so what's the deal with Eden? Apparently he's got completely random stats and I have to get credits to play with him?

Completely random everything (although I think there's a floor, so it can't go into negatives for example) and you get an "Eden Token" every time you kill Mom's Heart.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Atomicated posted:

I feel like this is the kind of question thats probably come up a lot but quickly skimming the last two pages I didn't see it. If I go to sheol and die will I still get the item unlock for my third mom's heart kill or do I have to open the chest and forgo sheol?

You get the unlock and the Eden token. I just found this out the hard way after Satan kicked my rear end.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Couple special seeds I don't think have been posted yet, spoiler'ing just in case.

PTCH BLCK - Turns Isaac and his tears pitch black.

DRAW KCAB - Inverts movement and firing controls.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Do achievements and unlocks happen during challenges?

Edit: Also man, having really high speed just murders you in the bullet hell bosses. Just too slippery!

Nope, only in normal runs. You can't get them if you type in a seed either.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

gently caress Monstro's Lung. Stupid thing just ruined a perfectly good run for me.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Bee posted:

Turns out I'm not alone in my problem. More people have The Catacombs and The Necropolis than The Cellar. I'm starting to wonder if there's just some super rare boss fight I'm not seeing instead of Dingle, Monstro, Larry,and Gemini.

I've got the same thing. No Cellar but I got Catacombs right away and Necropolis shortly after.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Dingle is such a poo poo boss.

I was having a bad day and got Dingle, and in my frustration called him a little poo poo. Then I had to pause the game for a few minutes to contemplate my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I can't think of the name right now, but there's a boss that has a homing brimstone attack, it curves to hit you no matter where you are. Is there any way of dodging that, or are you just hosed if you don't have shielding of some sort?