Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edit: Thanks for fixing that mistake. :)

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tracula posted:

It really depends on how bullshit/RNG unlocking stuff is. No damage stuff is one thing but praying for a book of revelations on an early floor to do all the horsemen, Ultra Pride, etc there's little you can do to force any of that stuff to happen.

It makes sense for this game to have achievements that are only unlockable by praying.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carecat posted:

Why did it offer me a 33% discount and no discount as soon as I took it to the checkout :(

It's release time right now. The discount was only valid till then. (Although the game isn't working yet).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Y'all acting like you never used steam before. this literally always happens for every game.

I have never ever bought a game pre-release before.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Steam is probably still in DST. It'll be there in an hour.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The game won't start for me. I can see the .exe starting as a process in task manager, then it's gone right after. :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The game will literally not start.

The GREAT news is that a LOT of people are having this issue, it's dominating the Steam forums right now. Also Nicalis tweeted that people experiencing bugs should mail them.

This is a good thing, the "the game won't start" bug will be fixed first because there's so many people experiencing it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rebirth Game-breaking glitches and fixes summary post

Table of contents of this post:
  • Update 3: Rebirth Saturday Nov 8th beta patch - A FIX
  • Update 2: Rebirth Friday Nov 7th patch
  • Update 1: Patch announced
  • Rebirth original release (Tuesday)

====

Update 3: Rebirth Saturday Nov 8th beta patch
The white-out problem is fixed in the beta update.

As it is a beta, it's possible that the next full update will delete your save file, use at own risk!

How to unlock the beta:

In Steam, right click on the game, and choose properties. Go to the 'betas' tab and enter the access code "whitetextures" (without the quote marks). It'll unlock the beta. Enable it in the same screen, close that screen, and wait a minute while the game gets updated.

====

Update 2: Rebirth Friday Nov 7th patch
A patch was released. This patch fixed a lot of the issues people were experiencing. However, it most certainly didn't fix the game for everyone. A whole lot of people still can't start it or have other issues. And some people that could previously play the game, can't start it anymore.

Let me start with a link to the official patch update post. Here you can read everything that's been changed.

Now, it seems that most, if not all, people who first couldn't boot the game at all, now suffer from the white-out issue. The backgrounds are white, and so are the maps and any item descriptions.

This is my very first ingame screenshot:

It's technically playable... but practically it's horrible.

Now, developer 'Simon' was asking in the Steam forums for log data, so he's looking into it. That's good. However, Tyrone is, once again, being a dick. In the post I just linked, he says it's an issue with cards that don't support OpenGL 3.0, because OpenGL 2.0 doesn't work in the same way.

Tyrone posted:

Thus, proper and comprehensive support of Open GL 2.0 hardware may not be entirely possible since 2.0 was the first version which supported render-to-texture.

From this I'm reading that this new problem may or may not get patched. What happened to the promise that the new game will run fine on any system that could run the original?

Nicalis, you FIND a way to fix it. I don't care how. Keep your promises, especially if you make us pay for them.

Small addition: The fact that some people with OpenGL 3 are getting the same problem, could indicate that it's partially a programming error, which would mean it's easier for them to fix. We'll see.

====

Update 1: Patch announced The developers posted this and this.
It contains a list of known issues and possible solutions, and they also say they'll release an update on Friday. Please check those links before reading the rest of this post.

====

Rebirth original release (Tuesday)

For those who took notice, lots and lots of people are suffering from bugs. I don't mean the ones where an item doesn't work as intended, I mean those that break the entire game. A bunch of people have been posting about it in this thread, they were completely ignored, because people were too busy having fun to notice those that were left in the dark.

As you can see in this screenshot, a lot of people have been talking about in the forums too. If I may guess, the game-breaking bugs are affecting hundreds to maybe a few thousands of users, or a few percent of the total. So be glad to realize you're not alone.

The Pinned 'Common fixes' thread was made by Adrian Gray, one of the developers from Nicalis, and incidentally the only one who reached out to the public about all the bugs. I'm glad he did so, because people suffering from the bugs seem to feel completely ignored by the devs. Those feelings are understandable when one of them makes tweets like this one.

No, Tyrone, we aren't glad. We're angry that you released a game that doesn't work at all for a significant part of your userbase.

The 'common fixes' thread was a bit weird too. The dev asked the community to come up with fixes. What's up with that?
Anyway, Adrian recently said he's doing what he can, but he can't access everything and needs the other devs there. He also said, they are working on a patch. No date/time indication yet, but at least work is being done.

So, please try to stay patient.

List of fixes:
Note: Options.ini is in C:\Users\<yourusername>\My Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Rebirth, EVEN if you got your normal Documents folder mapped to another location.
Note 2: That same folder contains dump files for crashed games. If the text files say the following:
code:
timeBeginPeriod( 1 )
Framebuffer ID: 1
Caught exception, writing minidump...
...you're most probably hosed and have to wait for the patch. If it says anything else, you might be able to figure out what's the problem in your case.

If your game doesn't boot at all, Steam acts like you're in the game for 5 seconds, then nothing happens
  • This can sometimes be caused by your virus scanner. Make sure to whitelist the .exe and reinstall the game.
  • Another common cause is a problem with either audio or video drivers. Try removing a second monitor, or plugging in headphones and see if that fixes it.
  • Some drivers don't recognize Isaac as a game. For instance, if you use NVIDIA, you may need to change something in the NVIDIA control panel that forces it to use the NVIDIA GPU at all times. Or manually add the isaac-ng.exe to high power mode on AMD cards.
  • Try setting all your audio and video settings to 'normal'. For instance, having your speakers turned off in Windows may crash the game in some cases.
  • Some people managed to fix the problem by updating their drivers, usually by going to their graphic card's manufacturer website (you can find out about your graphic card in Windows by going to Device Manager and checking what's under 'Screen Adapters') and downloading an automatic driver detection and updating tool. However, this does not always seem to work with embedded cards in laptops and the like.
  • For the latter group, there's as of yet no fix. You'll have to wait until the patch, just like me.

If you get a message "isaac-ng has stopped working".
  • Try deleting Options.ini and restart
  • Try reinstalling the game
If you get a black screen after the intro
  • Open Options.ini and change MaxRenderScale=0 to 2
If you got keyboard/controller errors
  • Open Options.ini and change ControllerHotplug=1 to 0 (or try changing it to 2 for co-op play)
  • Or try disconnecting and reconnecting your keyboard/controller.
If the game runs slow
  • Try switching between windowed/full screen mode.
  • Open Options.ini and change VSYNC=1 to 0
  • Open Options.ini and change MaxRenderScale to 1
If big rooms make you motion sick
  • Open Options.ini and change CameraStyle=1 to 2

These fixes are mostly from the 'common fixes' thread in steam. Do you have any other way to fix problems? Send me a PM, as I won't be able to read every post in this thread. I will update THIS post, so if you're experiencing issues, you might want to store a permalink to this post.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 8, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Game-breaking glitches and fixes summary post is in the middle of the last page.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bug and glitches update

As I said in my earlier effortpost, there are some quick solutions for SOME problems, the devs are working on the others.

This is rather important, because checking the Steam forums and reading through this thread, it becomes obvious that there are probably many hundreds of players suffering from game-breaking problems, despite some people here claiming that it's "only a few".

The good news is that the devs are planning to release a patched version of the game next Friday (tomorrow). So for those who can't play the game: be patient, a patch will be released shortly, after this thread gets only a few hundred more posts.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bug and glitches effortpost update

I updated my original post, where we keep a list of known issues and fixes.

Summary: After a patch was released, the game does boot for more people than before, but certainly not for everyone. Some other issues were fixed, too. Most people who couldn't start the game now can start it but suffer from the white-out problem:

While developer 'Simon' seems to be looking into it, Tyrone, the founder of Nicalis, has said that it might not be possible for him to make the game run properly on systems that could run the original fine. He said you better upgrade your system or you're hosed.

If that's true, the promises that it could run on any system that could run the original were lies, and hundreds to thousands of people with this issue spent their money on non-working crap.

Edit: Good news, a few people with a more modern system are reporting the same issue on Steam. This could indicate it's a programming problem, which is more easily fixed.

Edit: There is a fix! For now.

quote:

There is a working beta available, and I'll tell you here how to unlock it. As it is a beta, it's possible that the next full update will delete your save file, use at own risk!

In Steam, right click on the game, and choose properties. Go to the 'betas' tab and enter the access code "whitetextures" (without the quote marks). It'll unlock the beta. Enable it in the same screen, close that screen, and wait a minute while the game gets updated.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 8, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Read posted:

You need at least OpenGL 3 to not get the white screen issue, btw. That came out in like 2006 or something so I think most computers that still function in 2014 should have it?

My computer is a laptop with an integrated Intel graphics chipset from 2010 or so. It runs WotL fine. According to Nicalis' promise, it should run this game fine too. If they can't make that true, they are liars.

Edit: And check both the steam forums and people complaining in this thread. That's not counting those who keep silent and/or just mail the devs. I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying hundreds of people are suffering from this issue. I keep saying this because there's assholes who keep claiming "only a handful" of people are having problems.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 8, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, then I challenge you to make a better post. :colbert:

I'll add any relevant information I get. As I said in the large post, send me a PM if you know of any as-of-yet unreported solutions to problems.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dewgy posted:

How about : "Hey, looks like people are still having this issue! Seems the devs may have an issue with OpenGL 2 chipsets, but if you have problems make sure to bug them if you're having problems, since there aren't any fixes floating around."

Instead of calling them liars and ripoff artists because you don't understand coding!

Seriously dude, this game is four loving days old.

The whole problem is that Tyrone is now saying they might not be able to fix it.

As I said, the other devs appear to be way more helpful, they are still working on it. I do feel kinda bad for them. They got a lot of poo poo thrown over them for the last few days, they've probably been working real hard to get the first patch out, and are working to fix this now. On top of that their company's founder isn't supportive of users at all and seems to imply he wants to give up.

I'm sure that without Simon and Adrian and whoever else they might have, things would've been a lot worse, and I'm thankful they are doing their best.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

That's probably because they might genuinely not be able to fix it.

Exactly. They knew they were working with OpenGL 3, so they should've been able to guess that there might be troubles with older systems not supporting that. If they had simply put that in the system requirements and not make the promise that this game'd run on any system that could run the original, I wouldn't have had a reason to be angry.

I'm very happy the devs are still working on it, but Tyrone is already coming back on their promises, and that is where the problem lies.

The fact that you folks are going "haha I can play it, you're hosed, should've known to have a better system" isn't helping either. I understand that's easy to say for you. But first of all, lots of people are suffering from this issue, it isn't just me. And secondly, I'm not a game developer. If anything, they (i.e. Nicalis) should've known and warned us in advance, so I hadn't spent money on pre-release. Them not doing that, is where the main problem lies.

By the way, some good news: a few people with OpenGL 3 are reporting the same white-out problem. This suggests that it's at least partially a programming problem, which can be solved more easily.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 8, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair, I won't actually get a refund.

Technical issues aside, I bought this game because, well, I really like it.

I'm still hoping for a fix. If that doesn't happen, I'm hoping I can afford to buy a new system some point next year. I've got some other games sitting in my library that won't run on this thing, anyway.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

THERE IS A FIX.

I'm going to update my larger post soon, but let me first post it here.

This fix solves the 'white textures' problem for now.

There is a working beta available, and I'll tell you here how to unlock it. As it is a beta, it's possible that the next full update will delete your save file, use at own risk!

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 8, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Okay so now that I got the game working (by installing the beta) I did a few runs, and one thing that I noticed... or maybe I'm imagining it, is that things seem faster.

For instance when I'm fighting one of the old enemies that run after you, such as Gemini. I get the feeling both the boss and I move faster and I have to react more quickly. I have no real trouble keeping up, though. Is that really the case or am I just imagining it?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

I had a run a few days ago, where I used a bomb near some rocks on a large room and it opened a crypt to a secret (large) room with free items in it. (It had a large ladder going down when I entered it - no enemies). I've got some screenshots but they currently are on my other PC (I will post them if needed).

Is this to be discovered by pure luck or can you do something to increase the chances of getting it?

Bomb the carpet in the bed room. It'll either have a hatch to the next floor or a hatch with a ladder to a sidescrolling area. The ladder hatch can also very rarely appear under rocks.

It leads to a side-scrolling room that either contains a free treasure or an opening to a large normal (top-down looking) room called the black market (according to the wiki). The one time I got it, it sold a whole lot of stuff for hearts, just like the devil, but with more choices.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 17, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The 'true story', that was never shown directly, of original BoI was about Isaac dealing with his psychological distress caused by his mother's abuse. Wanting to run away. Wanting to hide in his toy chest. Even willing to kill himself. Trying to find religion, or running away from it.

Seeing it in this light makes the entire game a journey through Isaac's rather disturbed psyche.

I remember someone wrote this big blog post giving arguments for the theory that the original game was about this, and that many smaller things in the game can be connected to this idea. McMillen then confirmed that this theory was mostly correct.

I'm guessing this basic idea hasn't changed for Rebirth.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That original wiki has always been rather crappy. I haven't visited it since Rebirth. The new one in combination with platinumgod.co.uk gives me everything I need.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah don't worry. I've had the flash game for a long while and I don't think I've ever unlocked the cathedral proper, only went there when I got an Angel room after beating mom's heart. Let alone the Chest.

In Rebirth, I recently got Everything is Terrible. It'll take me a while to get whatever the next thing is.

That's because I play casually, just starting a play or two when I have time, choosing whatever character I feel like playing as at that moment, and not thinking too much about unlocks. I can keep doing that until the game stops giving me new things and by that time an expansion will probably be out.

There's no fun in 100%ing the game as quickly as possible for me, and I don't have the time to do that anyway.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

kvx687 posted:

Devil room mechanics: Having the Goat Head, using a Book of Belial, and possibly using a Devil card (not sure) will cause the devil room door to span 100% of the time. Other than that, you have a base 135% chance for it to appear. Taking red heart damage anywhere on the floor reduces it by 99%, taking red heart damage on the boss reduces it by 35%. Killing one or more beggars or shell games will boost it by 25%, owning certain evil items boosts it 15-25% each. If the door spawned on the previous floor, your total percentage is divided by 4, if it appeared two floors ago the percentage is halved. Only the lowest multiplier counts; if the door shows up two floors in a row it's only a 75% reduction, not 87.5%.

Do all these things apply for angel rooms when you have refused a devil deal? Like, what does killing a beggar do for the chance of an angel room appearing?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

To the people who are wondering why wouldn't you use up soul hearts to buy stuff or why wouldn't you use Dead Cat whenever you can...

You do realize that many, many, many people are just decent at this game, not great? For instance, like many people when I first got the flash game I started with dying on the first floor every single time until I started learning the enemy patterns. I've gotten a lot better since then. I can win a game every few tries, if I get decent-to-good items and am a bit conservative with my hearts because I need them if enemy placements decide to be stupid or my reaction time is not fast enough, or that bug happens where the entire games suddenly decides to go at 2x speed for no reason whatsoever,

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Codiekitty posted:

Huh, I figured from playing Binding of Isaac Vanilla (I haven't put much time into Wrath of the Lamb. Should maybe remedy that.)

Enjoy the bugs.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I was doing a challenge (the one with the slow huge tears) and Flush was just sitting on a pedestal in some random room that usually has a few pickups.

Didn't know pickups could be replaced by items that aren't in chests.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Florian says in the comments that Edmund thinks it's fine that he does this... and he's hinting that the Rebirth team might have an eye on him for good ideas, like using WotL as a launch platform to get Florian's ideas into Rebirth.

Commenters are also saying they miss the old art style and bright colours.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Hahaa holy poo poo all the talk pages and wikis and platinumgod.com say "no, don't take mutant spider with mom's knife, it doesn't do anything" because they presume nothing's changed since Wrath of the Lamb. None of them mention the quad knives that you actually get!

That's why I don't use the original wiki anymore. The Rebirth wiki got it right, both here http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Mutant_Spider and here http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Mom%27s_Knife .

It does mention that the attack seems to charge more slowly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It sucks when your main source of damage on a floor is an easily avoidable spike tile or red poop you run over because you want to quickly run back to the shop on the far end of the map, thinking you cleared all rooms in between.

I'll admit that has happened more than once to me. :negative:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hyphen-ated posted:

Hello Isaac Players. Brett824 and I made an item tracker that tells you item stats when you pick them up, and you can also click on the items to open the platinumgod page about them. Check it out: https://github.com/Hyphen-ated/RebirthItemTracker

You are a hero.

It doesn't show spacebar items, does it? I think that could be handy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Codiekitty posted:

Is there a known bug in the Flash Binding of Isaac that can turn ??? into Isaac?

All I know is, I started as ???, acquired the Book of Shadows, Tiny Mushroom, and Dead Cat. A little while after using The Sun against Gurdy, I realized my soul hearts had turned into red Heart Containers. And now the boss and dream scenes are showing Isaac instead of ???

I understand Wrath of the Lamb is glitchy as hell, but I'm not finding anything about this.

The dead cat is set to take away everything you have in the heart department and give you a single red heart container.

I am guessing this even overwrites ???'s 'never get red hearts' thing in the flash game?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The new character actually has literally no health, so you always die on the starting screen.

IronicDongz posted:

I'm sure some people actually think that.

They're free to go back to Flash Isaac. Is that developer for the flash game still working on his silly update?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Haunt is way worse. gently caress the Haunt.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There should be an achievement for collecting 100 breakfasts or so in a run.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm used to go through a game slow and steady, thinking through which room I'll visit next if there's options and all that.

How do you guys play to activate bosh rush? Try to find a beeline to the treasure rooms and the boss room and skip the rest?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Platinumgod's hosting has expired, life is over

The site is working right now, though?

Anyway, I generally prefer the wiki if I want to look up something.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The site still loads normally for me, on both domain names.
E: Strange, if I try going to its raw ip address, it does redirect me to that page you mentioned. Going there through the domain name, it works normally. Huh.

In case anyone wants to recommend this game to their friends or something, it's 33% off on Steam this weekend.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 24, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sanctum posted:

I'm always impressed by how this game can troll you even when handing you great RNG.

I'm guessing that despite what ^^^^ posters say, you can't actually take any of those items with only one red heart?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Heh, I'm not gonna reinstall flash isaac to try this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hm. So the daily run seed will be the same for everyone, except for locked items?

Wait for people making a save where they specifically play to unlock only certain good/fast items and leave other unlocks behind in order to get better items in the daily run and beat others with an unfair advantage.