Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

drunken officeparty posted:

I wonder if there are going to be new sins bosses. He covered all 7 already so I don't know how there would be more, but I also don't see there not being new miniboss sins.

*opens shop*
*finds Avarice*
*whispers "gently caress"*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Sometimes I'm relieved to see The Box, when I'm missing a vital bomb or key to grab something potentially important elsewhere on the floor, like an item room or more rarely a secret room.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
My guess on the effects of the Negative: allows you into the Dark Room after defeating Sheol, but automatically kills you when you reach your last half heart. (The Polaroid has been changed to match; you only receive an invincibility window upon getting to your last half heart of any kind, preventing permanent Polaroid invincibility from being a thing.) Upon defeating Mom, if both are unlocked, you will be given a choice to take one or the other but not both.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

IMJack posted:

It's been stated that the access for the Chest/Dark Room is different. Also that the Polaroid is a collectable instead of a trinket.

My understanding is that the Polaroid being a passive upgrade instead of a trinket is the only change to Chest access, though I'm fully prepared to be wrong.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Horsemen now generate balls of bandages instead of balls of meat. Not sure how I feel about this.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Finally started it up a few minutes ago... only to discover that it doesn't loving work on my computer, for no apparent reason. Simply nothing. I try to start the application and nothing happens; if I look in the task manager I see the process exist very briefly and then stop. :( I was particularly looking forward to playing Azazel. :(

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I think I figured out that my problem preventing the game from starting is my sound card. Specifically, I don't think I have one at all. :psyduck:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Carbon dioxide posted:

Note 2: That same folder contains dump files for crashed games. If the text files say the following:
code:
timeBeginPeriod( 1 )
Framebuffer ID: 1
Caught exception, writing minidump...
...you're most probably hosed and have to wait for the patch.

This is actually really good for me; it means all I have to do is wait for a patch and not figure out how to stuff a sound card into my laptop. :)

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
So I've been watching a lot of the game (not playing, unfortunately, as I'm in the unlucky demographic stuck with nonfunctional games) and I've had a handful of ideas for synergies where none currently seem to exist - Monstro's Lung+Brimstone, for example, could fire both attacks at once when charged, leaving Brimstone as the primary source of damage but doing more damage via Monstro's Lung to enemies up close.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Read posted:

I'm not sure how they thought it made sense to nerf Cain but add Azazel into the game.

Hope to God he doesn't get Samson'd, especially before I get to play him.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm picturing a Lot character who starts with terrible stats but E. Coli and that item that makes you immune to damage from the front.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it was less about nerfing cain and more about making the phd not useless because all it did was give a single effect that the lucky foot gave and that thing even came w/ a lot of other poo poo

also who cares

Ah, yes, the PHD that allows you to get R U A Wizard. :psyduck:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it's been posted like 10 times but that wears off after a little bit so it's not like it's some run-ending poo poo

I'm not complaining that it ruins the run; I'm complaining that it's bad enough that PHD considering it to be a good pill makes PHD less valuable.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Just tweak the item rarities.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

BJPaskoff posted:

I hope things aren't nerfed at all, but I really hope that things aren't nerfed before I have a chance to try them.

I hope nothing cool gets its power nerfed, but anything "overpowered" gets its rarity nerfed. The existence of overpowered runs is a good thing in my book, but they seem way too common.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Kubla Khan posted:

Hi, I'm completely new and looking to get into this. Should I get the old Isaac or play Rebirth in its current state?

Don't get old Isaac; wait a week or two for initial release bug fixes and then play Rebirth.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

flyboi posted:

So uh I was playing as Azazel and got the item that makes your shots go around in circles and then I found Tammy's head and uhh...

(warning to headphone users)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQcCBsDDMc

Then I came across Mom's Knife thinking "MAN I BET THIS WILL MAKE IT AWESOME!"

No, it overrode everything and it was the end of the run.

I thought Brimstone + Mom's Knife was supposed to release a flurry of Mom's Knives? :(

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Magres posted:

FFFFUUUUCCCCKKK COME ON GAME

Doing Head Trauma, get Krampus, get SUPER excited for coal with that setup, get loving Krampus' Head instead.

Congratulations on your instant-boss-kill button.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I already have some great ideas for the DLC! :downs: Going to post them intermittently.

Shop spacebar item augmenters like the 9 Volt, Battery, and Habit!

12 Volt - every other combat room provides two rooms of charge

Edible 12 Volt - every combat room has a 50% chance to provide two rooms of charge

Jumper Cables - every combat room has a 10% chance to provide a full charge instead of a room of charge

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

BlackFrost posted:

Did they nerf Dr. Fetus a bit or is it just me? It doesn't seem to do the overwhelming amount of damage it used to. Not complaining or anything--I thought it was a bit OP in the original.

I think they nerfed bombs, actually.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I thought someone else said that in Rebirth (unlike vanilla Isaac) it would boost your angel room chances if you didn't even enter the devil room when it was presented to you?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

CJacobs posted:

b) soul hearts are better than normal hearts in every possible situation.

You do know that they can't go off the screen in Rebirth, right? :D

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
The point at which 12% of players, including me, cannot play at all, and then receive a patch - a patch the developers admittedly did not test - that fixes it for basically none of them and supposedly breaks it for some who could previously play, is the point at which I am seriously tempted to accept a refund. But goddamnit I really just want the game to function.

EDIT: The game was still refusing to start for me even after the patch, though it consumed a lot more processing power not starting than it did before. I was actually able to get it to start by deleting all local content and starting from scratch, but doing so got me the "everything's white" glitch that many others have described. Feeling somewhat better now as I seriously doubt they'll continue to leave it unfixed.

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 8, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
To anyone using the beta that lets you run the game on lovely computers - in my experience the game runs much more smoothly in windowed mode than in fullscreen mode.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

the little chocolate drop guys

:allears:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Alkydere posted:

Play the game, just play and don't worry about challenges at first. Just have fun, die against a few bosses, and stumble like you're punch-drunk towards Mom as you learn the game.

Addendum: If you love the items a challenge gives you, feel free to try it. That one that gives you homing lasers to start out with was pretty fun as one of my first runs.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Shardix posted:

Found Bob's Brain in the Womb, passed on it. Next room, a gold chest spawns and Bob's Brain was inside. This was exactly as bad of an idea as you'd expect.

Edmund take note: multiple Bob's Brains would be a great challenge for the DLC. "Brainstorm"?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

flatluigi posted:

Goon doesn't see the appeal of working with other people socially, news at 11

Goon thinks video game is very important, news at 11

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Rocketlex posted:

Generally speaking, Binding of Isaac is actually good about avoiding this and it's one of the reasons I love it.

Yeah, I keep seeing these complaints about how it doesn't explain itself, and it's just retarded. Anyone with half-decent critical thinking skills should be able to figure out what any of the items in the game do by playing around with them.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
My general design philosophy is that things should be designed to be irritating as poo poo for every individual player to get legitimately, but collectively relatively easy for the community to understand legitimately. For example, my preferred version of the puzzle we just saw broken would be if the Lost was unlocked by a random set of specific causes of death for specific characters that's different for each save file. :v:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

NoUU posted:

Holy poo poo, 9 lives makes The Lost invincible. How did they not catch that?

Hoping for a patch that immediately kills The Lost if he attempts to pick up 9 Lives. :allears:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
A blindfold-inspired character idea to torture you all:

Lot
Unlocked by "not turning back" - a Mom kill with no backtracking, which requires a lot of luck. Mercifully, entering and exiting item rooms, shops, arcades, challenge rooms, et cetera, does not count as backtracking. If you hit a dead end, though, you're hosed for unlocking Lot with that run; you can't go back to earlier rooms to collect pickups, either.

Lot starts with three items:
Lot's Bag, an item equivalent to the other characters' strictly cosmetic items like Maggy's Wig. He's wearing a bag over his head, that's all. It's not strictly cosmetic, though; Lot cannot fire tears.
Lot's Bottle, a spacebar item somewhat similar to Breath Of Life, but much more powerful. You can use it for up to six consecutive seconds by holding your spacebar down, and are invincible as long as you hold it down. It recharges half as fast as it's used up - twelve seconds from empty to full. Don't give it up; you loving need it to make not-retardedly-tedious use of Lot's Curse.
Lot's Curse, a passive similar to The Virus, E. Coli, and Midas Touch, but with the twist that its DPS is effected by your Tear and Damage stats. Enemies killed by Lot's Curse turn into piles of salt, which are just reskinned poop. Lot's Curse also semirandomly spawns white beams from Heaven - in ordinary circumstances they are entirely random, but they will show up frequently to specifically target inaccessible enemies, like wall-spiders that are across gaps.

Lot's unlocks include:
Lot's Grandkids - for defeating the Boss Rush with Lot. Single item consisting of a pair of familiars. They follow their targets, not you. Each have a potentially-devastating high-fire rate, but one targets doors instead of enemies, while the other has the R U A Wizard diagonal-tears-effect permanently.
Sodomy - for defeating Satan with Lot. Passive deal with the devil item that appears to be a bottle of lube. Picking up a red heart has a 50% chance to spawn a black heart. The red heart must actually be picked up, so the item has no utility in some situations - ever for Blue Baby/???, or, obviously, The Lost.
Wrath Of God - for defeating Isaac with Lot. Spacebar item with high recharge time which appears to be a flaming angel. Spawns a white beam from Heaven on every grid square of the room, one column at a time in rapid succession from left to right.
Lot's Medicine - for defeating ???/Blue Baby with Lot. Trinket with appearance of pill bottle full of Forget-Me-Nows. 50% chance that jumping through a trap door/womb resets the current floor instead of moving to the next one, akin to the effect of Forget-Me-Now or the fifth dice room type.
Cricket's Claws - for defeating The Lamb with Lot. Spacebar item with instant recharge time akin to Guppy's Paw. Appears to be a pile of claws. Consumes one heart container to gives you a tiny, mid-radius, high-speed, high-damage, orbital. There is no limit to how many of the orbitals you may create, except for how many heart containers you have. Counts towards transformation into Cricket.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Zoness posted:

I feel like you're missing out on some flavor here - Salt should damage any enemy that's visibly showing blood when they touch it :getin:.

That would indeed be fitting thematically and gameplaywise. :downs:

Have some more lovely DLC ideas from yours truly!

Gameplay alteration! Big rooms do not show up as big rooms on the map unless you have some reason to know that they're big rooms - entering them, for example. The Map allows you to see them in advance for obvious reasons, and the Spelunker Hat allows you to see them in advance thanks to "sees through doors". Otherwise, though, you have no idea before you enter a room whether it's a big room or not.

The Lake Of Fire
Tougher variant of Sheol + The Dark Room, unlocked by having all achievements relating specifically to Sheol and all achievements relating specifically to The Dark Room. Has a chance of spawning instead of Sheol if you have the Negative when you enter the portal to Sheol; this chance is akin to that of spawning the Cellar, Catacombs, Necropolis, or Utero. Always an XL floor but may have other curses as well. As is standard for an XL floor, there are two bosses fought in consecutive rooms; they draw from a pool that includes Super Satan (not to be confused with Mega Satan), End Times Factory (big-rear end machine with a ton of health that spits out random Horsemen and Sins), You're In Hell! (modified version of Isaac that turns into modified version of ???/Blue Baby when killed the first time), Chaos (giant Loki that spawns regular Loki and Lokii), and True Buddha (once he's unlocked). Also contains a locked door to the Mega Satan fight, as The Dark Room does.

The Promised Land
Tougher variant of The Cathedral + The Chest, unlocked by having all achievements relating specifically to the Cathedral and all achievements relating specifically to The Chest. Has a chance of spawning instead of The Cathedral if you have the Polaroid when you enter the portal to the Cathedral; this chance is akin to that of spawning the Cellar, Catacombs, Necropolis, etc. Always an XL floor but may have other curses as well. As is standard for an XL floor, there are two bosses fought in consecutive rooms; they draw from a pool that includes The Boy You Should Have Been (buffed Isaac), End Times Factory (big-rear end machine with a ton of health that spits out random Horsemen and Sins), Mom And Her Heart (exactly what it sounds like; fight Mom and Mom's Heart simultaneously; they're procced as the same boss so the pieces don't harm each other), Lambs (Double Trouble version of the Lamb fight), and Zeus-Thor Tag Team (once they're unlocked). Also contains a locked door to the Mega Satan fight, as The Chest does.

Idolatry
"The false gods are loose in the basement!"
Achievement obtained for entering the portal after the Mega Satan fight (more on where it leads in a later post). For the portal to appear at all, you must have defeated Mega Satan on a previous playthrough as the same character. Unlocking the achievement unlocks several new bosses, two of which are obnoxious as gently caress.

Buddha/True Buddha
A misinformed fundamentalist Christian view of Buddha in Edmund's signature style. Shares some similarities with Peep and Mega Fatty. The regular version may act as a boss on most floors or as a regular enemy on late floors, while the stronger, "True" version adds variety to the Lake Of Fire boss pool. Neither version is strange in its difficulty.

Zeus/Thor/Zeus-Thor Tag Team
Reskins of each other with some similarities with the final form of War, though with a ranged boomerang-style attack in the form of their lightning/hammer. The regular versions may act as bosses on most floors or as regular enemies on late floors, while the stronger, teamed-up versions add variety to the Promised Land boss pool. No version is strange in its difficulty.

Golden God/Platinum God
Enormous, immobile bullet hell bosses that look something like tikis. Golden God has a (very slim, on the order of 1%, though higher in Hard Mode) chance of replacing an item room, akin to what Greed/Super Greed does to shops or what Krampus does to devil rooms. Platinum God has a higher chance of replacing an item room, on the order of 10%, but will only do so in the first place if Golden God appeared earlier in the playthrough. Neither boss drops anything; they screw you out of an item room. Hope you have a teleportation card or item on your person when entering item rooms. Players will hate their guts; the bosses even tell you to stop playing as you fight them (alluding to the old startup screen on BoI). At least killing Platinum God gives you the Iconoclasm achievement. Unfortunately, the Iconoclasm achievement unlocks the Iconoclasm item, a spacebar item that acts kinda like a reroll-all-of-your-items button, except that it doesn't give you any new items; it just takes away the ones you already have (including Iconoclasm itself). Doing so actually really helps you out with a later achievement, though. :D

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 10, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

ArfJason posted:

i think i recall them saying they didnt want to make dlc, but i could be imagining things.
it'd be a shame because with an item based game like this you come up with some cool poo poo and modifiers and code some interactions and you get set for like 10 more hours of content

I recall reading on Edmund's blog that they want to do one big WOTL-esque DLC in a few years.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Rocketlex posted:

One character who might be interesting would be David, as in David and Goliath. David starts with all his stats at 1 and no items. However, he has a power-up called "Life Experience" that causes ALL his stats to go up by one every time he reaches a new floor. Life Experience would also be obtainable for other characters in God Rooms.

A lot more to the life of David than his defeating Goliath. Unlocks alluding to his later life as king would be neat.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I don't really have any emotional stake in whether Holy Mantle is nerfed, but if it is nerfed, a reasonable nerf would be for it to take the first half heart of damage in every room, rather than the first hit.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Time for more intentionally painful DLC ideas!

Welcome to the Interval Of Nonexistence! Like the Boss Rush (and the Super Boss Rush, a extended version of the Boss Rush that gives you a choice of six items if you kill Mom's Heart in under twenty five minutes), this is not a regular stage so much as it is a bonus alternate mode accessed within a regular run, a survival mode. Unlike the Boss Rush, it is the end of your run. Nothing comes after the Interval Of Nonexistence.

The Interval Of Nonexistence is reached through a portal after the Mega Satan fight. For the portal to appear at all, you must already have a Mega Satan kill as the same character. The aesthetic of the ION is based on the I Am Error rooms, but with additional features akin to those of other floors - there are destructible rocks, indestructible rocks, pits, and doors, all of which fit into the I Am Error aesthetic - the pits have binary code floating under them like something out of the Matrix, while the rocks are glitchy combinations of the earlier floors' rocks akin to the Undefined item.

The first room in ION is a pretty standard I Am Error room, albeit with four doors as well as the trap door, which lets you stock up on items before entering ION proper. The room also contains a message: "No Turning Back Or Pausing". Once you exit this first room, the ION timer starts, which is tied to a large variety of achievements. ION always has a unique curse, the "Curse Of The Sublime", which grants a variety of unique qualities:
1. Attempting to pause quits to the main menu and ends the run.
2. There is no map, and it would be pointless anyway. The only room that exists is whatever room you're currently in; it's erased when you exit it and if you return to what logically should be the same room, it will be replaced with a random different room.
3. There is no such thing as clearing a room. Enemies respawn, and the doors open and close at random. The only hard fast rule on when doors open or close is that doors always close immediately after you walk through them. Every room has the maximum number of doors (4 for a normal room, 6 or 8 for a large room) as well as a trapdoor; the trapdoor is functionally similar to the other doors, teleporting you to another random ION room if you step on it while it's open.
4. The longer you spend in an easier room, the more difficult it becomes, motivating you to scramble from room to room as fast as possible. If this goes on long enough, a unique, indestructible enemy spawns, the One, a living form of the I Am Error room guy. His purpose is akin to the Spelunky ghost; to chase you out of the room.
5. Enemies and bosses from throughout the game spawn semirandomly without warning in one of three states: regular, champion, or glitch champion.
6. Any door or trapdoor may be a curse door; don't worry, they do look distinctly different from the regular doors. They open more frequently, too, making them occasionally tempting to use. Curse doors in the ION are two-way; flying won't save you from taking damage on them.
7. The random number generator is manipulated to torture you. For example, there are some room layouts that have an additional effect on them wherein all doors are open until you get close to them, at which point they close if they would normally be closed, forcing you to constantly rush between the doors to check whether they're actually open. Some room layouts only have cursed doors (this is not forcing the player to take damage, as they already chose to take damage by entering a cursed door in the first place; it's just forcing them to take damage again). Sometimes, the doors simply will not open for quite some time, forcing you to fight harder enemies until the One spawns.
8. ION Boss Rooms are the only end rooms; they are the only rooms that are not surrounded in entrances and exits. As would be expected, they are attained strictly randomly; if you see an ION Boss Door, you have an opportunity to fight one. Well, kind of. There are six ION bosses, and two of them are not conventional bosses in any sense. You may freely ignore ION Boss Doors and continue with your regular survival run. Which ION boss you'll encounter through an ION Boss Door is random, but you may not encounter the same one multiple times on the same run.

The six ION bosses are:
1. Random Number Jesus. Random Number Jesus is not a boss, he's a powerup and a break. When the fight starts, he immediately dies with an animation similar to Best Friend whether you attack him or not. You are given full health, spirit hearts up to the cap (which replace any black hearts you might have), an achievement if this is your first RNJ encounter as that character, and a trapdoor leading back to regular ION. You have a minute to enter the trapdoor before enemies start spawning like a regular ION room. The ION Boss Door you entered through will not reopen.
2/3. Nega-Jesus/Random Number Anti-Christ. Slight variations on the same boss fight, which is an actual regular fun boss fight. They appear to be glitchy pallete swaps of Random Number Jesus. Defeating them drops a devil room item, a trapdoor (which functions as RNJ's does), an achievement if this is your first NJ/RNAC kill as that character, and turns you into The Lost, but this is just to scare you (and motivate you to move on once you know how it works); you turn back into whoever you were before when you move onto the next room.
4/5. Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit. The Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit are not bosses, they are torture methods. They have a random (but high) health and no health bar, and they and their attacks are invisible, though you can tell where they are by where your shots land provided you don't have piercing tears. The Holy Ghost is akin to the Haunt, while the Holy Spirit is like a giant form of the angel fetuses that spawns smaller, also-invisible angel fetuses. Defeating them drops an angel room item, a trapdoor (which functions as RNJ's does), and an achievement if this is your first HG/HS kill as that character. This is not nearly enough. Might as well be an "end run in death" sign when you see it come up. And speaking of that-
6. Random Number God. Random Number God is not a boss, at all, he's a finish line. He has no form onscreen to attack, and is immune to Necronomicon-style damage. He immediately sends down an undodgeable white beam from heaven that depletes all of your health in a fraction of a second. If this is your first time facing him as the current character, you receive an achievement: "Get smited as [name]." There's a special ending/achievement, Godfearing, obtained by facing RNG without any items. The Iconoclasm item I mentioned in an earlier post, which erases all items you possess, seriously helps out with this.

Other ION achievements include one for facing all ION bosses in one run (which requires a lot of luck), as well as a variety of achievements simply for surviving ION for a long time. The hardest achievement in the game, Diamond Stop Playing, is obtained for a 168-hour ION run and is designed to torture achievement hunters without friends as well as constant streamers like Cobalt.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Magres posted:

Yo gently caress not being able to pause. I like your ideas, but seriously not being able to pause in a situation where there is never any breathing room is no bueno.

The inability to pause is for the express purpose of keeping there from being any breathing room. :toot: I guess pausing/returning might be acceptable, but I'm worried it would tempt more people to try for the insane, absurd survival achievements, which would bring frustration to more people than I intend. :ohdear:

...I guess spreading the frustration around a bit isn't a bad thing.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Handful of item/unlock ideas for a DLC. Not sure about the conditions for unlocking them; some of them might be late-game (ie, Interval Of Nonexistence) unlocks while some of them might be unlocked with the expansion itself.

Item Name/Clue: Second Amendment Solution/"All you have to do is move your little finger..."
Item Appearance: A simple handgun.
Item Effect: Passive that replaces your first tear in each room with a bullet. Bullets have maximum shot speed and very high damage - enough to one-shot early bosses with a minimum damage stat. They do not scale much with your damage stat, though, making them progressively less useful as the game goes on, and, as previously stated, you only get one per room.

Item Name/Clue: 12 INCHES NOW GUARANTEED!!!/"Get your tears excited."
Item Appearance: Bottle of pills with stink lines coming off of it.
Item Effect: Passive that sets all of your Tear-related stats (Tears, Damage, Range, Shot Speed) to minimum, but causes them to increase every time you damage anything damageable - an enemy, a fire, a poop... This effect carries over from room to room, and from floor to floor. However, every moment that you spend not damaging anything slowly lowers them again. Therefore, the item heavily disincentivizes gambling and encourages speedrun-style playing.

Item Name/Clue: Photographic Memory/"You can remember pictures sometimes!"
Item Appearance: A popup with the Negative, a camera, and the Polaroid.
Item Effect: Once unlocked, all characters will essentially receive the effects of either the Negative or the Polaroid, randomly, at the beginning of a run. It does not count as actually having the item (ie, it doesn't show up on the pause menu or the death screen), but the relevant item is removed from the item pool on that run, so Mom only drops the other picture. This gives the player three new advantages: first, they always receive the useful qualities of the Polaroid or Negative on early floors. Second, the player may pick up the other picture Mom drops to gain the effects of both items, and therefore, in addition, may choose whether to fight through the Dark Room or the Chest as late as shortly after killing It Lives! (rather than shortly after killing Mom). Third, as Photographic Memory allows for access to the Dark Room or the Chest without counting as an item in its own right, it allows for collection of the Godfearing achievement/ending without finding or using the Iconoclasm item (though the Iconoclasm item still makes it significantly easier).

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Tracula posted:

Jesus :psypop: I don't know how you could even balance it to be honest.

4 red hearts = 1 black heart?

flatluigi posted:

Why do you keep posting all that in here?

:psyduck: