Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Maybe we'll get lucky and "no damage" means "no red heart damage" for the achievements. That's what I hope anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's been stated that the access for the Chest/Dark Room is different. Also that the Polaroid is a collectable instead of a trinket.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Aaaand I'm gonna be stuck in meetings the next two evenings while the rest of you get your matricide on. :smith:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
First run finished, Womb and a bunch of other stuff unlocked. Headless Baby familiar that leaves creep and Infested Baby familiar that spawns endless blue flies both own bones. Infamy was a fun surprise in a locked chest right before Mom.

This game is dark. I need to turn up the gamma to spare my eyes.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Unless I'm terribly mistaken, I got Basement Boy in my first run despite taking damage to my soul/black hearts.

The unlock requirement for Samson is truly not being hit for two entire floors, entrance to exit. Simply killing the boss isn't enough for Samson and Eve, you have to exit the floor without getting hit or picking up any heart.

Am I correct in assuming sleeping in the bed behind a double-bomb door is a full heal? Does it do anything else?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
What shot type makes your tears shrink away into nothing in a very short distance? I saw it through the 3 Dollar Bill randomness and want to avoid it going forward.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Flat worm + Bob's rotten head is kind of hilarious, just from the way the sprite flattens out as it flies.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

So the Gate uh

gently caress the Gate. gently caress Master Maw too while you're at it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

What's the deal with the walled/multilocked rooms with beds in them? Is that the Let's Make a Deal goat outcome or is there some kind of functionality I'm missing with them?

The bed will fully heal you. The rug can be bombed to reveal either an early exit or a mini treasure room.

Finally got Luvidico. It's hard to fight Mom with that thing, isn't it? Mom has changed enough I'm having trouble with her in general.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Missing Page 2 is a permanent version of Missing Page. Every time you get hit there's a chance to trigger the Necronomicon screen nuke.

I had something strange happen in an arcade. I managed to blow up a blood machine, which produced an IV bag - the second one I'd seen this run. I wanted to hang on to the jar, so I left the arcade. I returned after I beat the boss, and the IV bag had turned into stem cells.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last nights run, I already had Mutant Spider and I picked up Libra. My movement speed went way down, but my fire rate grew to almost obscene speed; it's like the two values were swapped. Is this a known property of Libra?

I was able to beat Mom's Heart for the first time, and with the rapid-fire spread bullets it was a proper bullet hell boss fight.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

Cut and Run is basically like vengeful fly except it's rechargable, gives you flight, lasts 'til everything is dead and doesn't require you to take damage.

I'm surprised it hasn't come up more often, maybe it's just super rare. Looks like a pair of shears.

In the original game, the Shears didn't unlock until you had died 100 times. I figure not a lot of people have played that many games yet.

Edit: If you find a Devil Room with three red chests, opening the chests doesn't count as a deal with the devil, does it?

And I have yet to run into an eternal heart in the wild. I found a pair in an underwhelming Angel Room.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 6, 2014

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh my god that was hilarious. First game as Lazarus, and I find Gemini on the first floor and Taurus on the second. Then I get the Virus from somewhere. The game becomes "stay alive until Taurus goes off then run the gently caress over everybody".

Mom and her heart die quickly and I'm lucky enough to get a Devil Room afterwards, so I get to Sheol for the first time. I'm low on health (full 12 heart containers so no soul hearts possible) and find Satan. The Taurus charge is spent on the first phase of the fight so that's not going to help.

We kill each other with the final blow - he stomps me and then Gemini + the Virus take the last of his health. And then Lazarus comes back to life where he fell.

Taurus's activation time seems to be linked to tear fire rate, or maybe movement speed. I boosted both and it seemed like the invincibility activated much more quickly.

Also I found out the rocks in the Womb/Utero with black spots near the top can hold goodies when you bomb them. I saw them leave behind a trinket and soul hearts, or burst into bullets or creep. It's a gamble.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I went through the High Brow challenge, found a Devil Room that was offering 3 Guppy items at once so I got Guppy Mode, then found a Dice Room with a 6 and rerolled my everything. I kept Guppy Mode but wound up with some sick combination of magnetic shots that bounce off walls and freeze monsters, further randomized by the 3 Dollar Bill.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

Do none of the challenges have treasure rooms? I thought that was only the purist one.

If it starts you with an item set, it has no treasure rooms.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

The only Lazarus run I've done ended with shielded anti-gravity orbiting tears of death, I didn't even know he did anything different after he died. :ohdear:

Likewise, my first Lazarus run, he lost his first life trading killing blows with Satan. I was happy enough he didn't get kicked back a screen when he respawned.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Humblest Bundle is the best shop item. It pays for itself so fast.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

octobernight posted:

Haha, I had a pretty strong combo with Isaac (D6+Guppy+a few damage ups), saw a dice room and decided to roll with it. I ended up getting a first-hit invincibility, anti-gravity, bombs that explode into 8 tears, parasite, homing tears, and a whole bunch of other power ups. I beat every room by dropping 1-2 bombs and letting my tears wipe out the room. I one-shot mom's heart and blue baby with a single bomb. I was also immune to explosive damage, it was the most broken combo ever.

On a side note, I heard that you can drop trinkets but I don't know if that's true. Is there a keyboard command for that or was it just a rumor?

There is a "drop" button mapping in your control options. You need to hold that button for about a second.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

What does it do? I have those three achievements, but I think the one for not taking a hit in the womb is gonna be hard for me at this point.

Holy Mantle absorbs one hit per room. It's basically "you win".

We all know Brimstone + Ludovico is hilarious, but those plus Mom's Contact destroys everything. I made a mockery of the boss rush. Carrion Queen died before she shat out a single red turd.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
So apparently if you get enough "Fly" items in the same run, Isaac turns into the Human Fly. That's news to me, and that's pretty cool.

For reference, I had the Smart Fly and Forever Alone after a lucky Dice Room, and Skatole caused the transformation.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 9, 2014

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had a good Judas run that took out Mom's Heart. I've not yet unlocked It Lives. I got the Devil Room but wandered out for a victory lap around the map, then came back expecting to head into Sheol. Instead I got three red chests in the Devil Room. And they gave me a Sad Onion and two copies of Breakfast. Could it be because I had saved & reloaded the game?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Getting Dead Onion after Scorpio only adds piercing at the cost of range, and getting Cupid's Arrow after that adds gently caress-all. Luckily I got the Sacred Heart from an angel room, but I never did get any more range. Maggie was a murder machine with a short reach. First time I beat the Boss Rush without flight.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's funny getting Ludovico and a Lump of Coal, and watching the death-ball grow and shrink as it moves relative Isaac.

Add just piles of random power-ups from the Dark Room, thanks to Guppy's Tail, and the Lamb didn't last too long.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sometimes you see an X scratched into the ground. It seems to happen across the different map types. Does that do anything, or is it just decoration?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Red Mega Fatty: all quick jumps, all the time.

Then you kite him like you would Satan's legs. Easy peasy.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

BlackFrost posted:

Is there some weird way to unlock The Cellar or something? I unlocked all of the alternate floors like ages ago but for some reason The Cellar still hasn't unlocked at all.

I unlocked the Cellar randomly during the Boss Rush. I have no idea what I did. I guess if it's killing little Gemini first, that makes sense.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
My first successful Blue Baby run was a fun trip, using Undefined to pop around the secret rooms and occasionally skip bosses via I AM ERROR. I visited the Cathedral and took down Isaac for the first time. It was a pretty near thing, too, hard fought with only Blood Clot, Tough Love, and Cancer (trinket) boosting my shots. I traded Pulse Worm for Cancer; the pulsing bullets are actually pretty good, probably the best of the worm trinkets.

I'm having an easier time with both Leapers and Knights in Rebirth than I did in vanilla. The skeleton dudes and brimstone wall-spiders can eat a dick, though. And the disappearing demon-gapers.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

Can anyone tell me what this item is, that gives you a gigantic green ring that does toxic damage, and you can steer it around the screen?

I got it on an interesting run where I got Little Brimstone and the reusable Sacred Heart item in the first two levels, then wound up in the Catacombs where I found a die room and re-rolled to find myself with that big green ring thing. In all it was a pretty awesome run.

Ludovico! It's probably green because either Scorpio or the Common Cold. It's a gigantic ring because you have Brimstone; normally it's just a big tear blob.

Nothing guarantees an Eden run going well when you start with flight. In this case the White Pony, which I kinda like as conditional flight, but then I turned into Guppy and it no longer mattered.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

So there's no way aibra is working properly. Its definitely another item that probably works fine if you have standard stuff, but if you have some of the more exotic items that modify your stats in extreme ways it won't know what to do when it tries to balance your stats. Here's what happened when I picked up libra in a soy milk run;

Max damage tears that fire almost as fast as my soy milk tears did. Satan's second form died in 4 seconds. How fast did his third form die? Well to make things even weirder, he didn't go into his third form. I have no clue why but it just skipped the third form and acted like I killed it. Not sure what the hell caused that.

Satan's second form ends when his life bar gets near the bottom, but not when it's empty. It may be possible to lay on so much damage so fast that you cut through the script and actually kill him in his second form.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

AHungryRobot posted:

scolex is way worse imo.

I have yet to see Scolex in Rebirth. I'm happy it wasn't part of the boss rush. I've seen Daddy Longlegs at this point but only in the Cathedral.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Today I learned that the trace fire left by Fire Mind shots will turn Hoppers into Fire Hoppers.

And that if you're not interested in going after Mega Satan, the key parts left by the Angels reroll into other Angel Room items with the d6.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
First Chest win, first Mega Satan kill. I finally have Golden God. I am so far behind the rest of you guys...

This is a really nice rare room to find in the Caves. I rerolled the Technology into a Pyromaniac... which I didn't actually trigger once I had it.

This is about as obvious a choice as this game is ever going to give you.

And if you happen to have both flight and shielded tears (I rolled the Lost Contact in the Chest) this is a great place to cheese Mega Satan.

Crotch Bat posted:

Quick, can anyone tell me if I beat the Lamb if I can go back and do Mega Satan? Or does the door lock behind me? I can't remember. I only ask because I don't have a Lamb kill on Isaac yet.

Yes you can. I killed ??? and Mega Satan in the same run.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Getting Curse of the Unknown in the Dark Room or Chest is probably one of the cruelest jokes this game can play on you. I had the Wafer protecting me in the Dark Room, but I honestly don't know how close I was to dying. That's not a side effect of the Breath of Life, is it? I picked it up for the first time in the Angel Room in Sheol thanks to a lucky Joker drop.

Pisces is definitely MVP in that run. The extra knockback is enough to cancel a lot of monster charging attacks.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I remember one of the questions Ed answered during development was the mix of rooms he designed, and he mentioned "trap" rooms. At the time I kinda wondered what kind of rooms these would be. Now it's really loving obvious which rooms are just traps.

The worst is a room in Sheol with a bunch of brimstone turrets, a few immobile skull monsters, and not much of a walkway. Not that flight helps in that room with the way the turrets shoot their beams. I'd say that room can burn in hell, but it's already there.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wow, my mega-tear run has been upstaged by the guy before me. :(

I finally found a situation where Proptosis wouldn't screw me over, and that's when my damage is already so high my tears are HUGE and they take a long time to shrink down. This is with Cricket's Head, Chemical Peel, Blood Clot, 20-20. I picked up the Halo in the Womb 1 Angel Room and Capricorn as my last Chest prize to make it even more stupid.

I killed Mega-Satan in 1:27 without being hit.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Technology + Ludovico + Proptosis = a ring of laser death so big it cannot hit monsters placed in the very corners of a room. And it kills anything it touches hilariously fast.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bandage Girl can at least shoot.

Speaking of, I was screwed out of finally completing Super Bandage Girl tonight by Conquest. Screw you, Conquest. The White Pony is useless to Azazel.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Would a collectible that let you carry an extra usable item between floors be too OP? Say, a toy box or something that you can always find in the starting room. Touching it while you have a usable item and it's empty will deposit your item.

Dumb expansion idea now that Ed is soliciting dumb expansion ideas.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
PyromanICAC was fun while it lasted. This is the first time I've actually found Ipecac, and on Azazel it doesn't add anything other than poison. Then I died during the Boss Rush and came back thanks to Lazarus's Rags, and then it was grenade launcher time.

Anyone know what happens if you die with non-Lazarus extra lives during the boss rush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wasted my day today trying to get through Cat Got Your Tongue. At one point I found Missing No. in a secret room, and Guppy's Hairball changed into Little Chubby. I'm like, okay, this is better than the hairball, I can work with this. The next level it changes into Sister Maggie. Not a whole lot I can do with that.

Of course when I finally finished the trophy, it was Lil' Brimstone and Bob's Brain that did all the work. I think I've finished more of these challenges by lucking into items that obliviated the challenge.