Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I never got why people hated the Curse of Darkness so much. Do you really rely on the minimap that much? I rarely look at it other than to see where a secret room might be. All that curse means to me is that I might not be getting the secret room on that floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
This game should have come out on Halloween. gently caress Sony and the PS4.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

legendsuper posted:

I'm getting this game for free, thanks Sony and the PS4

You get PS+ for free?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

If you're using the whole list of adjacency rules, finding the secret rooms becomes a massive pain without either a minimap or an excellent memory. Also backtracking for soul hearts at the end of the level, or regular hearts for a blood bank. Also for remembering there's something important on the level (like an arcade) that you were going to go back to after the boss. Basically, for various reasons it makes grabbing a pencil and paper the "optimal" thing to do. For the sort of player who feels like they have to sit in the arcade playing three skull monte for five minutes because that's the "optimal" thing to do, this makes it a kick in the balls.

Yeah, honestly to me the arcades are more of a hassle than any of the cursed floors. I was hoping that in Rebirth they were intending to make some kind of change so that you wouldn't feel the need to spend 5 minutes in the arcade.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

flatluigi posted:

If you liked the original and think the new art is better I don't understand how you don't like the new art.

I think what he's getting at is that there's a difference between graphics and art style. Yeah the game technically looks better because they're doing more with lighting and what not, but the art style is not the same.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Gameplay is so much smoother than the old janky flash version. I walked into a room with flies and got immediately hit because I wasn't prepared for how fast it would be.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
On my first run I somehow opened up a ladder similar to what the shovel does in the original game on Depths 2 so I beat Mom's Heart on my first run.

Take that mom kill on first run dudes. :smuggo:

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
So the new darkness challenge...

You can't see your health and it's actually dark

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
There's some item combinations in this game that can make your playthrough downright miserable. Since I don't know what everything does yet I'm pretty much picking up most stuff. I got an item that basically just turned my tears into one big tear that I had to move around to hit things. That was doable, but then I got one that also turned it into an orbital so I was constantly fighting with the automatic orbit trying to get it to aim where I wanted it to.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Idk maybe if someone would show or talk about a consistent win streak, but right now what I hear (and see on most streams!) Is some dude dying a bunch until he gets some cool poo poo.

e: You can tell me to git gud, but it's not like we know you're any good either.

The good BoI players absolutely destroyed the original with 100+ win streaks being pretty common place. People are still learning this one and what all the items do but I imagine it'll eventually be the same. Good players can make it far with pretty much any items simply by knowing the enemies and good dodging.

I've got around 5 or 6 kills now with only 2 deaths and I can honestly say that a couple of those runs were extremely questionable with the items that I had and at least 2 of them came down good dodging and one or two hearts left.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

13/f/cali posted:

Has anyone figured out the differences with hard mode yet? I played through once and it seemed like champion enemies were more common but it didn't seem that much harder. I was worried it was gonna be like double damage or double enemy health or something dumb like that but it seems not to be the case.

quote:

a large new feature we added to Rebirth is “Hard Mode”. now i actually dont want to go into great detail on what makes it harder.. because i dont want to spoil too much and we are still technically balancing this aspect of the game. but i can say that some of the more glaring aspects are gaining no hearts from bosses and curses being extremely prominent.. you’d be surprised at how much just these aspects can effect difficulty drastically.. but trust me when i say there are a lot more aspects to hard mode that should make even the most seasoned lets player stain their panties.

That was from the blog. Not sure how much is true or what else it entails.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Man I'm really starting to hate those enemies in the womb that hide underground, pop up in a random location and fire 3 shots at you. I've had a couple runs in a row ended by them.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Lumps. Am I right in that in the original game they wouldn't spawn directly underneath you? Not only that, they can also spawn right next you to and instantly shoot you now. Every room with them seems to be pure RNG up to whether you get hit or not :(

Yeah they definitely seem more obnoxious than in the original. I don't remember dying much to them before.

Those guys and Dingle are my kryptonite. As soon as I enter the room with one of them (unless I've got mega damage) I just assume I'm taking some damage.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Epic Fetus/Dr. Fetus trivialized the last game. I don't really see an issue with super powerful but rare items. If it's so powerful just make it extremely rare.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

Has anyone seen these in rebirth? I haven't yet and I think they will be way worse with no mouse aiming.

According to the platinumgod website it does exist. I haven't seen it yet though.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I had over 200 hours in the original and can probably count on one hand the number of times I got either Dr. or Epic fetus. I seem to get Ipecac a lot though. In fact, I got ipecac in rebirth last night and had a pretty good run with it. People seemed to hate it in the original but I actually really liked it. Just gotta be careful not to shoot things that are too close to you.

Also, it seems like there are more speed up items and the players seem to move faster in general so there isn't much of an issue of really fast enemies out running your Ipecac shots.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Man, after a win streak of 5, I'm down with a lose streak of -11.

If I see another range upgrade, cursed eye, or magnet, I'm going to scream.

Yeah I'm on a bad streak trying to get a win with the blue baby. Can't seem to get any decent items with him.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I don't think so. There seems to be more of them though, if I have something that reveals them all there's quite often two per level.

There's always been 2 per level. One is in between 2 rooms. The other is connected only to one room.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
After a 10+ losing streak on the blue baby I took a look at the main menu. What's this? I'm on hard mode? 2 runs later on normal mode I finally get the D6.

Moral of the story, make sure you're on normal mode if you're getting stomped. I don't know what all hard mode does, but it certainly felt as though once I switched over to normal mode I was melting things in comparison. I definitely saw a huge difference in item drops too.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Ghost Head posted:

I think someone earlier in the thread said they were collecting horrible seeds? I have an absolute cracker for you.

SK9N
6YF7

Absolute garbage from top to bottom. I managed to make it to womb 1 with this poo poo. I dare anyone to get further

I'm trying this, but I'm wondering how different seeds can be based on what items you have unlocked compared to the person that did it? I mean, I started with Lazarus because I have the D6 with Isaac and wanted to give it a fair shot and it dropped the D6 for me on the 2nd floor. I'll keep going to see what happens but I'm curious to know if you have the D6 yet?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

Is it just me or is Cain garbage with the lucky foot changes? He and Samson both feel significantly worse in Rebirth.

Cain is worse. Not sure how you can say the same about Samson though. The bloodlust item is significantly better than it was in the original since it carries with you throughout the floor. Clear out the entire floor and you take out the boss easily with your upgraded tears. I seriously doubt I'll play Cain much anymore he just isn't very good.

Judas is probably still my favorite though. Just had a really good run with him. I feel like with him, I can counteract the lovely RNG the game likes to dish out at times due to the fact that his base damage + Book of Belial can carry you to the end. All you really need is maybe one or two more damage items and some health.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Man the Suicide King challenge is really testing my patience.

The bosses are easy. It's when they throw you in a room with 20 little spiders surrounded by rocks that it gets a tad obnoxious.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Just had a really fun Isaac run where I came back from one health and a dead cat death and managed to beat Satan. Well, two dead cat deaths. I got the "Suicide King" card which kills you and revives you next to a couple secret room items and various other things. I figured after my first death, what the hell I'll see what the card does and it gave me Daddy Longlegs and Big Fan. I spent the rest of the run squeezing out every room, arcade and secret room to having 3 red hearts and several soul hearts along the way.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Dias posted:

Some Isaac tips from a lovely player, but that have helped me become less lovely:

- Dark Bum, flight, damage, full map - your priorities. Dark Bum is highlighted because he's that awesome (Devil Store for one heart, it's worth it). Flight gets you more items and makes dodging easier, damage is damage and knowing where stores, items and bosses are makes your life easier, especially at the Womb and beyond. You can sorta buy those things in most runs between the Devil rooms and the store, and it's usually worth the loss of the heart containers/the 15 coins.
- Use your consumables well. Keys are for item doors unless you get 15 coins. I use bombs for digging up secret rooms and breaking marked rocks. The tarot cards are situational, so you better learn what they do. Pills...well, you probably shouldn't use them unless a stat down won't hurt you too bad. Coins are up to you. If you can spare a key and the store is selling something good, it should be your priority. Otherwise, dumping money at an arcade usually gives you a bunch of consumables/hearts. Solo slot machines and bums aren't that great, but in a pinch/if you have nothing to spend coins on, they're okay. gently caress the fortune telling machine.
- Cheese bosses and annoying enemies whenever you can. That's why I really like getting flight - it breaks bosses that can't hit you over rocks and jumping enemies. If you are so lucky to get flight AND a beam, there's very few enemies that actually pose a threat to you. Some bosses have very exploitable patterns too, like the horsemen - they almost always dash at you if you're facing them.
- Also, don't explore more than you need to. You got the boss door location, decent health, the free item and maybe bombs/keys? GTFO. Chances are you'll stumble into a room full of spikes with six vagina-beam enemies if you keep on going. Or a small room with Masks. Or a corridor with four of those bomb flies. What I'm trying to say is that this game hates you.

I agree with most of your tips except the last one to an extent. Part of getting good at Isaac is learning how to deal with those rooms instead of running away from them. Skipping out on a lot of rooms will hurt you in the end if you're playing a game where the RNG has been against you and you need to squeeze every last item out of each floor. Yeah it's great when you have all the great items and can afford to skip rooms but that's a small percentage of the time, especially if you ever end up making the leap to hard mode.

Also I'm not sure why you're saying gently caress the fortune telling machine yet recommending to pick up the dark bum. On blue baby runs or any run where my health is questionable, fortune telling machines are a savior for soul hearts. You're not always going to get the dark bum, especially once you've unlocked more and more items. I rarely see it now, honestly.

In addition, learn to abuse arcades. It can be tedious and boring, but you can often times use the blood to coins machine until you have half a heart left then gain them back with a with the 3 skulls guy and normal slot. Doing this also nets you a chance at a HP up from the blood machine.

If you ask me, one of the best shop items is the 1+1 pickup thing. It makes the above tip quite a bit easier and generally can get you a ton of gold, keys and bombs.

The biggest tip for Isaac in my opinion is to take risks. Check curse rooms, check all rooms. Yes it is risky but you'll get better and you find that as you get better you can turn those questionable runs into something manageable because you've made the most out of every single floor.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Ghost Head posted:

I thought Rogue Legacy was really poo poo. It's basically the same poo poo over and over.

Yeah I know Rogue Legacy was super hyped up but I could never really get into it. Same with Risk of Rain. I've tried so many times to get into it but it doesn't grab me like BoI has been able to.

I really think there are ideas in both games that could be used to make a really good platforming BoI type game but neither of them clicked with me.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

is Isaac supposed to be the final, toughest boss? I got there with 3 pretty flies so I literally just stood in place and fired and nothing could damage me.

This one seems a lot easier than the original. It seems like every run I end up with some completely broken combination. Most recently I got mom's pills and the triple a battery. One of my pill drops could also be 48 hour energy so I was swimming in full health pills.

The original wasn't very hard. I mean if you look at the good players they were on 500 win streaks. This game seems easier in the beginning but starts to get a bit tougher once you unlock more items and have a bigger item pool to get bad items from. Also, I think the true challenge is hard mode and expect that most people that are playing the game for a challenge will play it that way.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I guess I never really played the original Binding of Isaac "for the challenge" so I think the difficulty of the new version is fine. I killed Mom for the first time ever today and it felt great, going to continue on from there and enjoy myself.

I basically just play the game for the gameplay itself, to see all the broken item combinations and experiment with different trinkets and other pick-ups. It's a really great dickaround game, challenge be damned.

That's pretty much what I feel normal mode is for. People who don't want a game that's so difficult that only the most extreme players can play it.

I actually enjoy a challenging run so I'm one of those guys that won't restart games if my first item is lovely. My favorite runs are the ones where I start out with 4 or 5 floors of absolute poo poo and still find a way to win.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

This is not me being a smug goonlord but is the Purist challenge supposed to be hard? Its just a normal run without treasure rooms right? I thought it was pretty easy compared to some of the poo poo I went through in the blindfold challenges. Maybe its all RNG tho~

Everything in the game is RNG. I thought the Suicide King challenge was hard and then watched somebody get Brimstone on the 2nd floor and cruise through to the end.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Oh my god that giant room with the walking skulls and the cross room spitting heads sucks so much

Are you talking about the ones that you can't damage until they pop up, but still walk around? Those are easily one of my most hated enemies.

I was doing the challenge earlier where you start with epic fetus and I ended up just bombing out of the room and leaving because I couldn't get a shot off in time to kill one before it went back into invulnerable mode.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

IGgy IGsen posted:

You sound a little sad that they fixed a bug.
Don't worry, the cat always was poo poo in Isaac, all it did was raise your death counter.

It's got a couple uses. I salvaged a bad run with it and the Suicide King card. You can also in a pinch use it with guppy's paw to save a run. If you die you revive with one heart that can be turned into 3 soul hearts. Leave all the soul hearts on a level and collect them right before the boss. Obviously if all you care about is your K/D then it's not good.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I managed to kill Mom's Heart with it and it was sometimes powerful as hell but Azazel + Anti-Gravity Tears is so goddamn boring and obnoxious to play with.

e: is there some kind of glitch with flying in this game though? going through those spike doors when flying only gets you hit on the way out. weren't you invulnerable to them in the original game?

It's always been that way.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I just had a really weird run on the Waka Waka challenge. I picked up Monstro's Lung and instead of things slowly flying towards me, they would zoom to me instantly as soon as I fired. Luckily my damage was high enough that things would die before hitting me.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Curse of the Unknown nearly screwed me by giving me Dead Cat in Utero I while attempting a Chest run. I made it all the way to the chest on my last life and picked up a Rosary which was enough for me to make it to the end.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

Secret rooms are almost always useless and there's not much else to use them on, though. Unless the game hides the one key on the floor behind some rocks or there's a blue rock I see no point in holding onto a bomb.

Gonna have to disagree. Money gets you a lot in this game. Arcades and beggars = more health = more chance to safely take devil deals. Not to mention, shop items which can often times be quite good.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

So how does everyone feel about the new, bigger rooms? I liked them at first but after a short while they just started feeling tedious to me. The enemies aren't built to take advantage of the space so it's almost always an easy fight that just takes a while because there are a lot of dudes to kill over a wide area. They throw the pace of the game off.

I was just saying this last night after a few really bad RNG runs I was getting. On the later floors they are not bad because generally by that time you can more easily deal with them, but if you get one on the first floor it almost makes me want to just restart and I generally don't like to do that. I don't like sitting on the same room for 5 minutes dinking away at enemies with my poo poo damage tears.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I just had a run completely saved by the 3 roll on the dice room. I was down to 2 red hearts and half a soul heart but I also had the lucky rock and dark bum so I had been blowing up the entire cathedral area looking for hearts so I had left roughly 50 coins all throughout the floor. Rolled the dice room and ended up with 6 red hearts and 4 or 5 soul hearts and a sun card.

Keep in mind this was with Dr. Fetus which is quite possibly the most disappointing item in the new version. It just sucks. I understand that in the original it was a bit overpowered but taking 2 or 3 hits to kill normal enemies in the Womb+ becomes a challenge.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Two runs tonight I've missed out on Dead Boy because of ???'s teleporting on top of me. :argh:

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I have to question the randomness of the RNG sometimes. Just restarted 3 games in a row because I kept getting XL Cellar at the start.

Normally I wouldn't restart, but with 2 item rooms and a D6 you'd think I'd be able to get at least one good item. First game, Magic Fingers & Bum Friend. Reroll Bum Friend into My Reflection. End up restarting just due to the annoying nature of the floor itself. Get pretty much the same exact floor, rooms and everything on the next one. Next run, I get Roid Rage and Mom's Eye Shadow. Reroll Roid Rage into Little Steven. Ok I guess I can deal with this. On to the bosses. Wooden Spoon and Speed Ball.

In all honesty, this is pretty standard for my Isaac D6 runs. I never seem to get any good items at all despite the fact that I'm rerolling the poo poo ones.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Had an awesome run with Judas. Tons of damage, guppy and the holy mantle. Didn't take any damage from the womb on and finally got the dead boy achievement. Feels good to get that one taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
They really need to do something with the automatic pickup of the polaroid/negative at the end of the mom fight. In a fight where your best option is to stay in the middle of the room and to have an item spawn immediately after killing Mom is pretty obnoxious. I don't know how many runs I've ruined where I'm wanting to go to the Lamb but I automatically pick up the polaroid.