Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Stokes posted:

So do you all just immediately sever a run if you don't get a good damage up item in the first two levels? The starting damage is still entirely too low for it to be worth your time otherwise, at least in my opinion.

I got used to doing that in original Isaac, because I'd seen and done everything and was mostly playing it as time-filler until Rebirth. It's a hard habit to break, though to my credit I don't do it nearly as much. I really like Eden because it discourages you from just holding R when you don't like your first item room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This is not me being a smug goonlord but is the Purist challenge supposed to be hard? Its just a normal run without treasure rooms right? I thought it was pretty easy compared to some of the poo poo I went through in the blindfold challenges. Maybe its all RNG tho~

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I disagree. He's the one character I haven't beaten Mom's Heart with yet (aside from the super tough ones like the the lost or blue baby, of course).

Really? Azazel has high damage and flight, both of the things you need for a relatively stress free run.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

This is not me being a smug goonlord but is the Purist challenge supposed to be hard? Its just a normal run without treasure rooms right? I thought it was pretty easy compared to some of the poo poo I went through in the blindfold challenges. Maybe its all RNG tho~

It can be. People have talked a lot about how much they loving hate the Cursed challenge and I cleared it my first try without any real trouble, I got Taurus and abused the poo poo out of it to have invincibility every time I walked through the doors.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

Everything in the game is RNG. I thought the Suicide King challenge was hard and then watched somebody get Brimstone on the 2nd floor and cruise through to the end.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Magres posted:

It can be. People have talked a lot about how much they loving hate the Cursed challenge and I cleared it my first try without any real trouble, I got Taurus and abused the poo poo out of it to have invincibility every time I walked through the doors.

Cursed is easy, you just have to break some of the habits that are good in a normal run. No backtracking, exploit special rooms to skip doors, don't explore too much and even consider skipping the item room if it's way out of your way.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Do you have to open the mom's heart chest to get the proper endings or can you just pass go and go straight to sheol?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

maev posted:

Do you have to open the mom's heart chest to get the proper endings or can you just pass go and go straight to sheol?

You can go straight to sheol and it still counts. If you don't see the ending I think you can still look at it if you look at the endings page.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Genocyber posted:

I disagree. He's the one character I haven't beaten Mom's Heart with yet (aside from the super tough ones like the the lost or blue baby, of course).

i'm genuinely not sure how that's even possible and i'm going to go ahead and say that you're so many standard deviations away from the mean that your experiences are in no way going to be relevant for the vast majority of people

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Azazel is pretty fricking easy as long as you know how to dodge stuff up close.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

maev posted:

You get all the credit for the ending, even if you somehow kill yourself before picking up the chest.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cuntpunch posted:

Well that's an interesting bug:
Playing Judas, first floor, treasure room connected to spawn, has Technology 2. First boss room I pop my Belial and now I'm shooting both Technology *and* big tears.

Technology 2 is a weak, constant laser that fires in addition to your normal tears, Tech 1 replaces them. In the original game, Tech 2 was a bad item as Cain because it covers the eye the Cain fires all of his tears out of, so instead of a weak laser and slightly weaker than normal tears, you just got a weak laser. Is that still a thing?

Pwnstar posted:

Well, the Purist challenge calls upon the same skills that the normal game does, whereas the gimmicky ones like Cat Got Your Tongue require you to learn a skill that you may not be familiar with like getting close to enemies without touching them. Two different beasts.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea the meat boy/bandage girl thing is retarded because they can both drop from the horseman bosses.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm genuinely not sure how that's even possible and i'm going to go ahead and say that you're so many standard deviations away from the mean that your experiences are in no way going to be relevant for the vast majority of people

yeah azazel is loving good and not having beaten mom's heart with him is, a little strange considering how strong he is

I'm just gonna post the vid where I beat mom's heart without picking up any items along the way again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkZZF6kK370
and that's not a "I'm good at the game" thing at all, because I'm not, really. it's a "azazel is loving ridiculous" thing

Nastyman posted:

Has anyone managed to combo monstro's lung with tiny planet?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Man, it makes me sad that Cain is the worst non "bad on purpose" character now. Eve and Samson are both reasonably fun now with there buffs, Judas can get a devil room every floor, and Isaac is still Isaac. But Cain just seems so much worse. He has lower damage out put and lucky foot is worse.

I really hope he gets sone type of buff next patch.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It would be nice if there were something you could do to force one or the otehr to drop. Like, Book of Revelations for Meat Cube and Satanic Bible for Bandage Ball. Say, does the Book of Revelations still force the floor you're on to have a horseman?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Slime posted:

Really? Azazel has high damage and flight, both of the things you need for a relatively stress free run.

It's still really easy to get hit by a lot of things, which is way worse than normal since you don't have anyway way to get more health unless you get lucky and get Dark Bum.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

Well that's an interesting bug:
Playing Judas, first floor, treasure room connected to spawn, has Technology 2. First boss room I pop my Belial and now I'm shooting both Technology *and* big tears.

Each Technology only covers one eye :ssh:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You have plenty of ways to get more health. Soul heart spawns, curse rooms, devil deal sin hearts+chests, etc.

If you're still getting easily hit when you can fly over all obstacles and one-shot basically everything maybe the problem isn't with the character

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's also highly likely that you'll find normal hp+ crap during a run as well. the only character who is restricted to only soul hearts is the blue baby.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Genocyber posted:

It's still really easy to get hit by a lot of things, which is way worse than normal since you don't have anyway way to get more health unless you get lucky and get Dark Bum.

lol at being bad enough at shmups that you get hit in boi

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ariong posted:

It would be nice if there were something you could do to force one or the otehr to drop. Like, Book of Revelations for Meat Cube and Satanic Bible for Bandage Ball. Say, does the Book of Revelations still force the floor you're on to have a horseman?

Yes but only on the first floor of a "level", ie: Basement I, caves I, etc.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Fiend Computer posted:

Man, it makes me sad that Cain is the worst non "bad on purpose" character now.

Neah, I think that prize goes to Lazarus.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Man, I think it says a lot of a character when I completely forget their existence.

Edit: maybe calling Cain the worse is unfair, yeah. I mostly meant that he has way less going for him now than the base game and it is really a shame for that.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 12, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

LaughMyselfTo posted:

He's just... really unfun to play as. His respawn isn't great at all really.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

LaughMyselfTo posted:

he's just isaac with a free "respawn in room" button. The worst character is probably blue baby, especially now that the lost exists.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Come on dude. Flight and his brimstone attack are more than just "nice".

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Maggie is not the 'worst' character in a balance sense, but she's the most hideously boring character. Just endless "wander around slowly and pick up hearts" gameplay.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mr E posted:

He's just... really unfun to play as. His respawn isn't great at all really.

Coming back with 1 heart and an item that requires you to be hit is...a really poo poo special ability. The item isn't even very good.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

he's just isaac with a free "respawn in room" button. The worst character is probably blue baby, especially now that the lost exists.

Isaac with worse damage and Number-1-esque range

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Agggghhhh, just did a Sheol attempt and practically every room was full of those flying exploding worms, or the laser eye clouds. I died miserably with a bunch of stuff including Toothpicks, Number One, Quad Shot, The Leech, Mysterious Liquid and Taurus.

This game, sometimes...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Cuntpunch posted:

Maggie is not the 'worst' character in a balance sense, but she's the most hideously boring character. Just endless "wander around slowly and pick up hearts" gameplay.

The trick to Maggie is that you don't use her hearts as a health buffer, but as currency to take a bunch of devil deals. Moving slowly isn't so bad when you have Brimstone and flight.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Picked up ipecac and it gave me tiny explosive shots instead of normal ones, don't really know why cause I didn't have soy milk. neat

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

Yea the meat boy/bandage girl thing is retarded because they can both drop from the horseman bosses.

Is there even a way to get this secret? Do you just NEED Book of Revelations on the first floor and then by a series of coinflips, have all four horsemen only drop cubes of meat? There's still only one horseman per set of floors, right?

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there even a way to get this secret? Do you just NEED Book of Revelations on the first floor and then by a series of coinflips, have all four horsemen only drop cubes of meat? There's still only one horseman per set of floors, right?

It'd be nice if they changed it so only one or the other would spawn in any given run.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

BJPaskoff posted:

Yeah pretty much. It's not that bad if you just do it with Azazel. You spend most of your time just restarting until you get the book as your first item, then breeze through all the bosses until you either get it or don't. It's a bit annoying since it is just RNG, but so is most of the game. And to be fair if you're at the "I need to pick up every item" portion of your quest to 100% then you're going to spend plenty of time restarting or trying to get specific item combinations in order to do stuff like get every secret room item, or getting a certain rare item to drop from a rare boss, etc. It is what it is, I guess.

Van Kraken posted:

It'd be nice if they changed it so only one or the other would spawn in any given run.

Getting both is actually really nice if you're doing anything other than trying to complete the achievement. Two fairly big orbitals is much, much better than the fully completed meat boy/bandage girl.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

For reference: if you find a free ladder to the next floor when in Utero II, you'll go straight to Sheol. Since I was going that way anyways I didn't mind skipping It Lives which always eats a bunch of my heaalth, just thought people might be interested to know.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I'm still pretty bad with Azazel. I like having a lot of range. I can deal with meh damage if I have all the range. It's not the bosses that kill me, it's the rooms with tons of little mobs.

Yes, Number One is a run killer for me if I get it later on. :smith:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lazarus and Cain are probably the lamest because they don't have a distinct feel now - Maggy + Blue baby are at least a new flavor instead of Isaac-lite. Ono they should have kept Cain the same, he'd be relatively broken but still not as easy mode as Azazel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

What's the difference between Golden God, Platinum God, and The Real Platinum God?