Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I technically have Platinum God, the game just doesn't seem to recognize it.

Funny enough, even though I KNOW I've gotten it before, the only item the game says I'm missing is the Forget Me Now. I consider it a victory and will gladly take the metaphor to dive into Rebirth tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

If you have one stat that's really high, taking Libra will balance you and turn you into a SUPERBABY.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's funny to see Cobalt and Richard's patience and sanity start to wear down. I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea, but I imagine the huge donation rollouts are subs is keeping them from getting too nasty. Why they even give their chat so much emotional energy is beyond me, besides a need to play for the audience to keep them making GBS threads money.

I'm having fun playing at a much more leisurely pace.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm so happy that Samson is a fun character to play now, same with Eve. I like at the least that Edmund recognized why Judas was so fun to play, and applied the same logic to the lackluster characters.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ilyich posted:

God, I hate Conquest. Had a level 3 cube of meat, and that fucker turned up instead of Death. I was so close.

I fail to see why Conquest isn't the unlock FOR getting Meat Boy and/or Bandage Girl. A sort of "You defeated all 4 Horsemen in one run! A new Horseman now appears!" deal.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ariong posted:

Is she not good enough as is? I think so.

I feel like she's just right. Dead Bird isn't very good anymore, but it never was. The fact that Babylon can happen at one heart instead of half makes it REAL good, along with the fact that it seems to give some serious damage boosts. Makes her like a different flavor of Judas with more options besides his tried and true "200 devil deals, room-clearing damage bursts" tactic.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The thing is I feel like it should be a hopeless fight, since God being omnipotent and poo poo is kind of a central tenet.

This is game where you poop fire tears on Satan and he dies. I don't think anyone cares about central tenets.

I figure an expansion would either include lots of alternate bosses, new alternate floors, or yeah, it'd include God or something which you can reach by defeating Mega Satan from either path.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sebbe posted:

That was absolutely insane to watch.

Here's a direct link to the video.

I highly recommend watching the insanity if you have 1hr 40min to spare.

Holy spit that was something to see right there. He melted through those, especially the Lost run. Though seeing that made me slightly appreciate types like Cobalt and Richard more; this guy was obnoxious as hell to listen to.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Devil Rooms are 'better' by virtue of more items to choose from (one to three compared to always one), generally better items on average, usually no-issue cost of Devil items, and ease of access to Devil Rooms over the few hoops you have to get through to get into God Rooms. What offsets this is that the good God Room items are REALLY REALLY GOOD compared to some of the best Devil Room items. Plus, a lot of Devil Room chaff can add up to a potent combo, like spare guppy parts, which makes them more appealing as well.

But scoring a Halo, Holy Grail, Sacred Heart, or Godhead is pretty good.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

No Wave posted:

Did he play the Lost? I thought the 7 characters he played were Maggy, Eve, ???, Samson, Judas, Cain, and Isaac (ie, the 7 from the original Isaac). I didn't see any Lost, Azazel, or Lazarus.

I actually meant to quote another post with another run he did where he had an insane Lost run that included Epic Fetus, Mutant Spider, Dead Cat, and Holy Veil.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

Blood Rights + Virgo is a pretty bonkers combo, if Virgo triggers you have seven full seconds of mashing to shred down whatever. I'd just been using Blood Rights to get rid of any red hearts I accidentally picked up as Eve and stumbled into that.

It's too bad you'd need Dad's Key to spawn in the Chest or something to take it to Mega Satan, with all the phases that would be a really fun fight.

I would love for more fights in that style. Isaac would be great with a little more post-game level of play. Though I guess that breaks down in the Chest and Dark Room since you usually end up with a megalithic superkill build. Maybe a super hard version of the Boss Rush.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Azazel is great for casual stress free play, but Cain has become my #1 over Judas. While I love Judas' super high damage, Cain also has good damage, good luck, great speed, and two hearts for an extra edge. Once I unlock everything I see myself playing mostly him and Isaac, with some Eve now that she's much better.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It'd have to be more. Tons of times I'm on basement one or two and go through a room with a glut of coins trapped behind a ton of rocks I'd need like 4 bombs for. You'll get at least one key by caves.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah it's the enemies you want to get through fast, and the fact that you probably want two or three floors anyways to even get the machine to jam, so more coins is better.

Just more relaxing and fun as Azazel anyways.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I want to jam it so it takes all the coins I can find before I restart? Like what if it needs 50, may as well try. Azazel is so mobile and strong that you can easily hit depths with no upgrades, too. Plus if I get an insane run I may as well see it through for fun.

Like, I want to have fun, not be 200% speedficient. Why even play otherwise. Azazel lets me grind while also have a relaxing game and maybe find items I'm missing, or hit on Ludivico and just rip stuff up before another go at donations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Met posted:

I can't believe how worthless Cursed Eye is. There's very few items I want less.

I can imagine 20 effects better than 'teleport from room' to make the Eye worthwhile. If it had Polyphemous or Brimstone level damage, it'd be worthwhile even with that kind of curse. But it doesn't. One fast idea I'd be fine with is it forcing you to take a full heart of damage while it's charging, including negating the Wafer on latter floors. Just anything but losing all progress in a room for being hit at the wrong second.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I was the Plinko Shears. I want the Binding of the Price Is Right.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think one of my favorites is the Depths room that has two Monstros on pillar islands, forcing them to barf at you from your cliffside. I wish the game had more weird rooms like that, but then, I might just not have seen them yet. Stuff like Godmode does, but goes a little too far into Kaizo territory.

Black August fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 24, 2015

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

IUG posted:

293 hours into the game, I've never seen that Monstro room. (What prevents the AI from making them jump up into the air and try to land on you?)

I don't think the AI allows them to jump over pits, so they just endlessly barf at you from the pillars.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Caves new music sounds real good. And I dunno about anyone else, but I liked both soundtracks, and mix and matched them in the game using that flash music replacer mod. That way I can have the best of both to my own tastes.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Does anyone know, for Afterbirth, how you can turn off the overlays in certain levels? Like Womb, Burning Basement, Depths, etc. Every time I try to stream for friends it chokes on any level with those effects.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Mod the game. There's no option to turn them off.

Oh. Well that's fantastic. There's no simple Options thing I can tick to a 0? Christ.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

NotInventedHere posted:

This mod will get rid of the fog. Easy to use and it works fine.

Neat, thanks! This should do the trick.

Why won't it let me download it

I gotta sign up don't I

EDIT: Oh, cool, I can just use my Steam account. Which seems sort of sketchy but whatever. I keep forgetting we're using 2015 Internet.

Black August fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 21, 2015

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Logging you into a website through Steam uses Valve's own API and redirects you to steampowered.com, you're not utilizing your Steam login deets anywhere outside of Valve's official site.

Yeah. I had Steam ask me to verify, so I feel fine. Yeesh, the little things that can be done these days. Doesn't work on Womb, though. Gotta find another mod for that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Skaw posted:

Easy fix to holy water: make it lemon party sized.

That might make it good. Can't do that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just wish they would push their ideas a little more to give items interesting effects, or maybe at least interesting nerfs. Like the Stopwatch; you could make it slowly run out with a timer every level. Maybe only a battery can recharge it if it depletes. Maybe it could stop working for the floor if you take damage, whatever the source. You could even make it a goddamn activatable item, for those times two Adversaries decide to meet you in a narrow hallway, as an 'Oh poo poo' button. Or make it only activate on SOME rooms, like a better Broken Stopwatch. Or just, christ, they could learn how to modify the value of items in a shop so if it shows up it costs $25 or $50 or something. Making it only work on hit feels boring and it makes it yet another backhanded way to force the Lost to be a misery to play.

I wish I got Edmund's hangups. ??? was a fine challenge character way back. Mostly the same, unique health system that demanded better play, slightly better damage to help compensate, some really fun unlocks, and it feels like a properly simple hard character to play with. I had figured they'd do some extra-hard demon style character who can only use and heal with black hearts, which would be even more of a challenge without being totally stupid (if they started with 3). Maybe that's the idea with the Keeper. I dunno. He's not as bad as a mantle-less Lost, but he's pretty boring. Which is more weird! Because even nerfed Lilith is really fun and a good character!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I feel like weighted costs for items in the shop is something Edmund has talked about before but still not implemented. It's technically a nerf to some items because they'd cost more but I'd pay 30 cents for a Stopwatch or Blue Candle or Sack Head (god that's a strong item).

While we're at it, though I don't think it's as necessary, I'd probably get more use out of weaker shop items like Ladder or D12 if they cost like 10 cents instead, but that's less important than making the OP items just cost more.

Well Edmund is addressing that right now, but God knows how he will. There's so many trash items in the game now that they almost feel like filler to make the average and better stuff harder to come by. Well, trash, or so situational and edge-case useful as to get passed up 99% of the time.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Despite getting two Guppy pieces on floor one, and then never seeing but a single devil room, and then being a righteous IDIOT and taking Monstro's Lung + My Reflection + IPECAC, I somehow managed to win the daily anyways thanks to spiders, succubus, and some orbitals, plus Guppy in Sheol when dead cat got shat out of a box right before Satan.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nope, I got that too. Pretty sure it was intentional, got smart after floor 2 and saved my rolls for other things. I didn't realize they could set custom games like that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

RatHat posted:

Does Dr. Fetus increase the chances of bomb related items or am I just really lucky?

It did for 100% sure in the original Isaac, I remember that. Probably does in this one too, so yes.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Has anyone run into Sticky Nickels once they unlocked them? Thankfully I haven't seen a single one in any of my runs. Meanwhile, I'm running into Lucky Pennies more often.

Thankfully they're rare, and only replace spawned pennies instead of nickles. At first I thought it was a straight punishment reward that would force all nickles to need a bomb to collect.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm starting to really freaking wish everyone had Judas levels of base damage, or more Eve-style ways to boost damage, or just any source of guaranteed damage up from defeating a boss, because I am having run after run where I just give up in Caves or Depths because I've had one damage up the entire time and the soul-eating tedium of slowly pecking away at giant enemy rooms is boring me to death. And I just feel lame having to sit there mashing R for 5 minutes every run to end up next to an item room with something useful.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just had the oddest run. I managed to grab Infestation II followed by Monstro's Lung first, then followed by Cancer. Then I got Marked, which didn't do anything than give a massively reduced charge time.

Then in Caves I gambled a roll and got Epic Fetus. Which interacts WEIRD, since once you hit the cursor, it produced a never ending rain of about 5 bombs in a cluster every second, and the markers for them rotate in circles all over. I couldn't stop the bombs once I started them in a room. Then I got spoonbender in the boss rush -- the cursors just slid over to anything near without me having to touch them.

Sadly Hush ate my resources so bad with his damage reduction, despite that, that the Dark Room ended up eating me alive, because dodging a bomb strike in a narrow hallway just isn't happening.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Bursting Sack should have been in the drat game since Wrath of the Lamb.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Just for Christ's sweet sake, do SOMETHING to make him a little less tedious. He's rotting in the same trash can as Lazarus and Maggy otherwise. I get that Edmund had this unhealthy obsession with making absurdly difficult characters, but his idea of hard is boring me to tears. And not the kind that do any damage.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just wish there was some common sense from Edmund and the developers. No, you shouldn't just instantly cave to player demand. But when the player base consistently says something is BORING and UNFUN, does it have to be pulling teeth to adjust things a little? The Lost with the Holy Mantle actually feels like a good challenge, and it took until Afterbirth a lot of backhanded comments to get it.

I understand he's really pissed about datamining, but it's an online game in the year 2015. Your game will be torn open, all of it, day 1, and you will never have any secrets.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

you know I was having a perfectly good daily with boss rush and Hush dead before the game decided to throw a 4-cage mini room and then double adversary at me

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I await the day I get max tear rate, Mom's Box, Cancer, Purity with the tear delay aura, Mom's Perfume, and well I guess Soy Milk but I'd rather see if I can achieve Soy Milk parity first with just that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Einwand posted:

There's a hard cap on tear delay of 1, which is like 2 normal tear boosting items and -4 delay which purity on its own accomplishes. Default delay is 10 by the way.

Well spit. That's not fun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well, picking up Soy Milk sets you at that cap automatically. So you can reach the fire rate that Soy Milk would give you with all those.

Oh, I misunderstood. So I WOULD achieve parity with Soy Milk rates, but I wouldn't even need half of that setup? Huh. I guess if combined with a shitload of powerful effects that increase tear delay the other parts would become useful. Imagine normal damage Poly at soy rates. :aaa: