Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

Ram yourself into Satan and die via contact damage. His brimstone laser is flagged incorrectly for a Satan kill.

Does being stomped by Satan's foot work, or does it have to be that second form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

CJacobs posted:

Is there any actual good reason to pick up My Reflection? It halves your range no matter what it currently is because of the tears bending and if you have an explosive shot it can easily get you to kill yourself. :geno:

It's actually really good when you combine it with scythes. Piercing boomerang scythes work pretty well, especially if you can line bosses up with the point where they start to turn around.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

You get one tear that you can half-control, half-fight with the game to stop from continuing its orbit around your head. Also it won't go past a certain distance from you.

It was the "inability to go a certain distance away from you" that really ruined my run, because I ended up careening into enemies while trying to get close enough to awkwardly fight with the tear to move it into them while also dodging whatever bullshit they were throwing at me. It was just way too much to pay attention to at once.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Chocolate Milk is a good item.
It gets better when you get the Mutant Spider for a quad shot.
It gets better when you become Guppy, and it's a nice bonus if this involves getting both Guppy's Tail and the Skeleton Key.
It gets better when you get Death's touch.
It gets better when you get a metric fuckton of tear ups and damage ups.
Everything gets better with Chocolate Milk! :haw:

Yeah, so that was a run where I cleared the entire Dark Room just because I could, killed the Lamb in seconds, and still finished with full health. Now why do I never get runs like that with Blue Baby?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I have Brimstone and Mom's Knife but I just found Epic Fetus. Decisions, decisions. :ohdear:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm so happy that Samson is a fun character to play now, same with Eve. I like at the least that Edmund recognized why Judas was so fun to play, and applied the same logic to the lackluster characters.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
God, I hate Conquest. Had a level 3 cube of meat, and that fucker turned up instead of Death. I was so close.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Doing the purist challenge. It's going well, i'm in womb 2 with the bible and one room away from moms heart. I have plenty of health and fairly strong although not overpowered tears. Then I see a dice room with a 6 and I can't help myself... tiny planet, dr fetus and guillotine. Run ended pretty soon after.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ilyich posted:

God, I hate Conquest. Had a level 3 cube of meat, and that fucker turned up instead of Death. I was so close.

I fail to see why Conquest isn't the unlock FOR getting Meat Boy and/or Bandage Girl. A sort of "You defeated all 4 Horsemen in one run! A new Horseman now appears!" deal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Conquest is one of my favorite bosses because his charge attack is hilarious. I actually yelled "holy poo poo!" out loud when I saw him flood my screen with a pony army of doom.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Eve really needs to just start with the razor.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is she not good enough as is? I think so.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ariong posted:

Is she not good enough as is? I think so.

I feel like she's just right. Dead Bird isn't very good anymore, but it never was. The fact that Babylon can happen at one heart instead of half makes it REAL good, along with the fact that it seems to give some serious damage boosts. Makes her like a different flavor of Judas with more options besides his tried and true "200 devil deals, room-clearing damage bursts" tactic.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Black August posted:

I fail to see why Conquest isn't the unlock FOR getting Meat Boy and/or Bandage Girl. A sort of "You defeated all 4 Horsemen in one run! A new Horseman now appears!" deal.

I don't know, I kind of like it how it is. (Most of the time, anyway) If he had a chance to drop a cube/bandage in addition to the White Pony, I think it would be a perfect alternate to Death.

Internet Kraken posted:

Conquest is one of my favorite bosses because his charge attack is hilarious. I actually yelled "holy poo poo!" out loud when I saw him flood my screen with a pony army of doom.

Yeah, Conquest is a good fight. I wouldn't have minded fighting it at all, but I wanted to fight Death for the last cube, plus I was already flying by Womb I so the White Pony was a useless reward.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rirse posted:

Still wish the Horsemen didn't drop Meatboy/Bandagegirl parts. It always feels like I get one of the horsemen in a run and the rest will never appear. So it forever a worthless floating item that MAY block a shot.
Orbitals are mega good though. Way better than one hp up for the lategame bosses

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mad Jaqk posted:

Does being stomped by Satan's foot work, or does it have to be that second form?

It MUST be against his second form, ie after the Fallen but before the stomping phase.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is the upside down cross on the middle-right side of the post it note of completions for each character Satan or Isaac?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

IronicDongz posted:

Orbitals are mega good though. Way better than one hp up for the lategame bosses

Yeah, if you get a full set of three orbitals it's hard to notice how many shots they block sometimes but they will save your rear end several times over against the bullet hell enemies.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So what are people's thoughts on Azazel? I personally think he's my new favorite character, replacing Cain since Luck Foot was nerfed. My first Azazel Run to actually go anywhere was pretty hilarious though, ended up fighting Issac, and because I had been killing things so fast and using Guppy's Head constantly I went into the fight with like ~25 flies and 5 spiders, who killed Issac before I could even charge my shot.

Massive Damage + Flight is just so good.

Still need to unlock Maggy and finally open the chest after beating Mom's Heart though, it was too tempting to continue the last couple times I beat it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Is the upside down cross on the middle-right side of the post it note of completions for each character Satan or Isaac?

The completion icons are:
-Heart = Heart/It Lives kill
-Star = Boss Rush clear
-Cross = Isaac kill
-White Photo = ??? kill
-Upside-down Cross = Satan kill
-Black Photo = Lamb kill

A bloody highlight means that particular challenge has been cleared on Hard.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Tracula posted:

Yeah, if you get a full set of three orbitals it's hard to notice how many shots they block sometimes but they will save your rear end several times over against the bullet hell enemies.

Not just blocking shots but the meat and bandage orbitals deal a poo poo TON of damage just on their own if you're good enough at maneuvering to not get hit yourself. You can mow enemies down with those things, they're insane in this game. You could do it in the first game too but I feel like they do more in this one.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

So what are people's thoughts on Azazel?

Azazel is amazing. 1 free Curse room, flight and he's guaranteed a 2nd floor devil room. The huge damage is icing on the cake.

drunken officeparty posted:

Upside down cross is a Satan clear.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh drat, I thought if I gave up Guppy's Paw I would lose Guppy form since I would no longer have three Guppy items. Nice to know I don't have to hang on to it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ashsaber posted:

So what are people's thoughts on Azazel? I personally think he's my new favorite character, replacing Cain since Luck Foot was nerfed. My first Azazel Run to actually go anywhere was pretty hilarious though, ended up fighting Issac, and because I had been killing things so fast and using Guppy's Head constantly I went into the fight with like ~25 flies and 5 spiders, who killed Issac before I could even charge my shot.

Brimstone is great as always and flight is handy, but I dislike Azazel for how many items don't really affect him. Proptosis doesn't do anything, triple shot has little effect because of the low range, spoon bender is the same. Ouija Board, Cupid's Arrow, Spirit of the Night, Lord of the Pit. The end result is that every Azazel run shakes out about the same way, either you win with the super good laser or you get the tiny planet/tammy's head and you really win with the super good laser.

Genocyber posted:

Oh drat, I thought if I gave up Guppy's Paw I would lose Guppy form since I would no longer have three Guppy items. Nice to know I don't have to hang on to it.

You will also attain Guppy form if you have one passive Guppy item and switch between the Paw and the Head.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

Still need to unlock Maggy and finally open the chest after beating Mom's Heart though, it was too tempting to continue the last couple times I beat it.

Azazel is far and away the best character to start with. Anyone can get as good as he is, but nobody starts as powerful except Eden when the RNG favors you.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Wow what happened to Dr. Fetus?! I remember that being an almost sure fire win in the original. Now its just, so very very weak.

Also holy crap hard mode is brutal, only gotten wins with Judas and Demon man. Now that I have the D6 I should really try it with Isaac but man, they amped it up.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
it's tied to damage now. to be honest i think it's a good change, it can still be strong if you get really high damage, and it still means you get every secret room and rock secret in the game. if you want the super-op one there's still epic fetus for that (unless they nerfed that too? i haven't actually tried it, i hope they didn't nerf it)

Manatee Cannon posted:

Azazel is far and away the best character to start with. Anyone can get as good as he is, but nobody starts as powerful except Eden when the RNG favors you.

speaking of eden, what's the best eden start people have gotten?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Koramei posted:

Someone posted a shot of starting with Godhead :stare:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I started with Krampus's head once.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

So today I learned that you can be Guppy and Lord of the Flies at the same time. The results are kind of silly. Having a huge army of flies doing your bidding is pretty awesome.

Unrelated, but does beating Mega Satan unlock anything besides the last ending?

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Not at this time.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Samuel Clemens posted:

So today I learned that you can be Guppy and Lord of the Flies at the same time. The results are kind of silly. Having a huge army of flies doing your bidding is pretty awesome.

I think you have to have all the endings to get Platinum God so that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ariong posted:

You will also attain Guppy form if you have one passive Guppy item and switch between the Paw and the Head.

That is Good To Know. Thanks.

Cainer posted:

Wow what happened to Dr. Fetus?! I remember that being an almost sure fire win in the original. Now its just, so very very weak.

It's very good if you got a high damage stat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9nsuYShVko

quote:

Also holy crap hard mode is brutal, only gotten wins with Judas and Demon man. Now that I have the D6 I should really try it with Isaac but man, they amped it up.

Same here. I like the fact that they give you less drops but it does lead to the problem of your guy simply not being strong to make it happening more often. I think it'd be better if drops prior to the Womb were normal, but afterwards you get no drops, period.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Koramei posted:

it's tied to damage now. to be honest i think it's a good change, it can still be strong if you get really high damage, and it still means you get every secret room and rock secret in the game. if you want the super-op one there's still epic fetus for that (unless they nerfed that too? i haven't actually tried it, i hope they didn't nerf it)

Not as good as Godhead, but my first ever Eden run had Bottle of Pills. Checked my item list and also had Sacred Heart.

Sucks I couldn't go further than Heart at the time.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Alabaster White posted:

Ram yourself into Satan and die via contact damage. His brimstone laser is flagged incorrectly for a Satan kill.

I closed Steam altogether, verified cache, and did it one more time and his brimstone got me The Lost :yayclod:

why am i so happy about that, time to get the unlocks :smithicide:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I can't seem to unlock "it lives", even with ten completions. I've alternated killing satan and mom's heart the last four or so times, and have unlocked every character but the lost. Am I doing something wrong?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Do we know enough about the game yet to know if multiple poison items stack? I have both Scorpio and Common Cold.

Also yesterday I had a run with three Bob's Curses. I never used the bombs for damage but I should have tried.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I can't seem to unlock "it lives", even with ten completions. I've alternated killing satan and mom's heart the last four or so times, and have unlocked every character but the lost. Am I doing something wrong?

It takes 11 completions in Rebirth, so everything's OK. Killing Satan still counts as a normal completion for unlocks.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

How do you restart without going through the menu? hold down r? Is it different for vita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Every time I get the Credit Card I never get any shops or Deals with the Devil.

My latest run I got it on floor 5 and held it for the rest of the (shop-capable) game. Floor 5 was Greed, 6 Super Greed, and 7 I didn't get a Satan Room. :(