Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wow there are some really really cool "deep unlocks". Never expected a new arcade machine https://v.redd.it/zxuqxnqdzzq61

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Holy poo poo

Yeah lol I kind of dismissed it as prerelease hype when Edmund was posting about how "It's not Isaac 2, but it's basically 1.9" but god drat he wasn't kidding. Also I'm extremely encouraged that they unnerfed tinted rocks and shops within a couple days of release; I already love the expansion but I'm glad they're open to tweaking some stuff.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Augus posted:

Unfortunately that's just what happens when you sync your save file with your steam achievements, you get all the unlocks but your completion marks don't update.
You can use this if you want to track what objectives you still need to do for unlocks http://theriebel.de/tboirah/ (you can deselect Repentance achievements if you want to avoid spoilers)

Whoa! That rules

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

Observatory, base 1% chance to appear per floor increasing by 20% for each item room you skip. You have to not open or enter the item room for it to work

Yeah I think you have to meta-unlock it first, too, I'm assuming by picking up a certain number of divination/astrology based items overall or within a run. Got mine after picking up a crystal ball.

It's a very very cool new feature and makes you feel a lot better about skipping an item room for want of a key or whatever.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ending stuff:

ArfJason posted:

After nearly a decade of nihilistic hopelessness its a bit of a betrayal (like one step removed from it was all a dream!!!) but i dunno why i was always just hoping my boy would pull through, even if it went against the tone

Yeah I like how the gameplay of the ending supports it too, where if you consider things getting progressively darker and more fantastical as you descend into the womb and beyond to be a representation of Isaac getting closer to death, in this ending you reject it, and reverse course and go back up instead. I don't know if this ending is necessarily more canon than the rest, but like Dad says, after all those sad ones how about the possibility of a happy ending?

Then again, the alt characters really don't seem to imply that everything ends well, lol. Curious to see what the story is there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

This expansion is awesome. Haven't enjoyed a roguelike expansion like this maybe ever. Everything fits, it's just great.

To be fair, this is like their third swing at it lol, maybe more than that if you count Wrath of the Lamb and the fact that Rebirth was an expanded remake of the original.

But yeah it's a vast, vast amount of very good content and I really like that it doesn't have the problem previous ones did of adding 20 minutes to your run if you wanted to see new poo poo. I think some balance stuff will continue to be dialed in over time, but overall the nerfs were all pretty reasonable and the difficulty feels about where it should be.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Carpator Diei posted:

Kind of depends on how you interpret it; the Antibirth people were probably the main devs on Repentance, so going by that it's only their second swing, and they already landed the first one. Honestly, handing development over to them was probably the best decision in Isaac history.

That's fair, yeah. There's a big 4chan "leak" post from a tester that has a lot of inside information on development, and while some of it's a little sketchy (it's definitely from a real tester, but other people who worked on the game said a lot of it's exaggerated) it kind of breaks down who contributed what. Some of the big stuff like the alt characters was all Ed's plan, but apparently his actual designs for them weren't very fun, and the ones that got implemented were almost all from the Antibirth team.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Mods are disabled for the near future.

More specifically they aimed to have them working within two weeks of release, so not super long now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Getting greedy and going for the extra boss item with the Lost transformation in Downpour II has been the death of many, many runs for me lol. Do you get the Holy Mantle effect in that section if you have it unlocked on normal Lost? If so I really need to knock that out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I've always had Holy Mantle for that section.

(I have still lost 2 runs to getting greedy)

drat! I unlocked it back on my Switch file but I wasn't planning on tackling Lost runs anytime soon here on PC, so I guess I'll get on that. I used cheatengine for the shop donation machine because gently caress that, but I may as well earn the greed stuff legit because I need those completion marks anyways.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I feel at this point Gnawed Leaf is only way I can beat Mother, I have had so many strong builds but that boss just destroys me in its 2nd stage. Still have yet to beat it and I have fought it with 2 rows of hearts

I had a Bethany/Guppy's Head run and beat her first try but that's a huge carry item for her IMO. Especially with a stockpile of soul hearts or some bonuses to item charges, you can easily form an impenetrable shield of fly wisps that orbit you blocking shots and dealing a ton of contact damage. I also somehow managed to spawn some wisps that dropped Golden Troll Bombs, which I have never seen before in my life, which are basically troll bombs that keep exploding over and over forever. Since she's pretty stationary I just knocked a few of those next to her and let them do a ton of damage while I focused on dodging. I really love Bethany.

edit: Good lord, Box of Spiders is another killer item with her. Spawns like 6 wisps that orbit the outer circle and while they don't do a lot of tear damage, they do a great job blocking shots and summon a blue spider when they die. I feel invincible.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 6, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I beat the final final boss as Isaac, not realizing there was something I should have done in that near-final level to unlock something... now I have to reach that area again. That's the least of my worries, because I have extremely low confidence of beating that fight with The Lost without wearing out my R key trying to get a good start.

Just to save you some time, the first time you go to that area it's easy to unlock something, but every time afterwards you need to do something special: drop a trinket, literally any trinket, in an item room at some point in the game. Return to that item room on your journey back up and it will have transformed into an item that lets you get into the room where you unlock something special

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bethany's alternate kit is nuts, coasted to an easy Beast win first time after unlocking her. She really benefits from a set of items that let you do damage safely at range, though, though. I lucked into an early BFF and some good familiars (including a Leech which gave me tons of red hearts to charge poo poo with)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

No, I already know that, but I've read it forces you to install adware too with the program, not that the program itself is malware.

It doesn't. It just does the thing a lot of free software does where it offers to install browser toolbars or whatever during installation, but you can just click "no" or "skip" or whatever.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Clearing out challenges on my new file for unlocks and let me tell you, Cat Got Your Tongue is even less fun when dealing damage as Guppy has a 50% chance to spawn a fly down from 100%! Still doable but jesus add that to the list of things to do before starting the expansion.

edit: As always, posting to bitch about it did the trick. Got a Book of Virtues from one of the library treasure rooms on the second floor (which is a very nice upgrade to that item pool) and rolled it.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 7, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

Yeah curse of darkness is a chore I can do without. Curse of the maze seems to barely do anything.

I remember hearing the claim that pills were buffed but I'm pretty medium on them. I tend to pick them early in runs but not late, though the more bad pills I've seen the more I use ??? pills. Maybe that's intentional and they're supposed to be tactical idk.

Not sure if I'd say pills are buffed but they're definitely more impactful. You're a lot more likely in Repentance to get stat-affecting ones than Paralysis and poo poo like that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

So if you get One Makes You Smaller and then One Makes You Larger you'll be at your original size but with a smaller hitbox?

I believe your hitbox can grow from OMLY pills or Magic Mushroom or whatever if you've already shrunk your character, it just can't ever get any bigger than it's original size. So the effect is slightly detrimental because it cancels out the positive effects of shrinking, but not nearly as bad as you'd assume it is.

(except the psychological effect -- i always play like poo poo and kill myself with a big isaac)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

New patch out--

Highlights include a nerf to the darkness in Curse of Darkness, blue fires back to the old soul heart drop rate (and there are a LOT of blue fires on the Antibirth path, I noticed) and you can once again underpay for devil deals that cost more soul hearts than you have.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

Some devil room items grant soul/sin hearts on pickup (The Pact, Ceremonial Robes, Abaddon, there are probably some others) so you will actually gain hearts before you die.

Yeah, counting Dead Cat and Judas's Shadow there are like 8 different items you can kill yourself acquiring and survive

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol if you still need the achievements for doing Victory Laps, Card Reading makes knocking them out pretty quick. This was my Basement I to Lamb dead time:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

flatluigi posted:

i haven't checked yet, but do you get planetariums in challenges since they don't have treasure rooms to enter? if so it'd be a good reason to beeline unlocking it before working on more challenges

also, what's a good shortlist of challenges to make sure to get done to unlock stuff? i'm still working on a file that feels like it's barely unlocked everything (it doesn't even have the 100 deaths unlock yet)

For you, and for the people in the last few posts talking about selectively unlocking runes by only doing certain challenges, Repentance has nerfed that a little bit. If you have only some of the runes unlocked, they have a pretty good chance of being replaced with a "rune shard" when they spawn which performs an unpredictable random half-assed rune effect. It clogs up anything that normally spawns runes and makes it much harder to take advantage of them since you don't know what they'll do. There may still be some super-optimal way to just unlock certain ones and work around rune shards, but for the most part they kind of suck and IMO it's worth just pushing through and unlocking all of them so they don't appear anymore. Also I'm not sure whether you need to unlock the more secret ones like Black Rune and Blank Rune because they're not part of the rune shard effect pool

edit: And this is one of those things that sucks for veterans coming back to the game but is honestly fair in a game design sense. This game has a lot of unlockables and there are bound to be some stinkers but in general it feels like lovely design to just encourage you to not unlock certain items

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

pretty sure bethany is the strongest char now

mini bending spoon applies to her wisps. it also applies to sprinkler

catch me dropping 30 soul hearts worth of sprinklers with homing shots in the boss room and slowing my computer to a crawl

Lol I had a greed run with mini spoon and sprinkler off the bat. Bethany is so loving cool (and so is the other Bethany in her own way)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The new Sharp Key active probably opens it too, right? Opens everything else

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sharkitten posted:

My (relatively) fresh file has no completed challenges so I wonder if I should unlock the doubling rune one and see if I can cheese anything with it

Selectively unlocking runes has been nerfed a little, if you have only some runes unlocked any rune spawn has a chance to be replaced by a "Rune Shard" that has a random effect that pulls from all the runes (unlocked or not) but way weaker. Unlocking all of them stops them from spawning. If you have only Jera unlocked and get a Rune Bag or something you're still gonna get a bunch of Jeras though, just not as many as before. Also stuff like Blank Card and other effects that used to apply to runes now apply to cards only, but I think they all have equivalent Rune versions that can be unlocked.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Stelas posted:

Hush is a piece of poo poo. I overestimated the damage cap and apparently all his adds (now?) have some random invincibility for a second or so when they first appear. Lost a 9-heart, sacred heart/proptosis/thin mushroom run to him. Even with a full health pill on hand, the sheer amount of bullshit he puts out (now? I sure as hell don't remember it being this stupid) is not okay in a game with hitboxes like isaac's.

Edmund has talked about some Hush tweaks and a Delirium/Void rework that didn't make it in time for launch -- it would be really cool to see it happen post-release. I'm not against the concept of boss armor but Hush's is really stupid -- just to get a relative sense of how it works, Mother and Mega Satan are the next highest with an "armor value" of 90, but Hush has 160. According to one of the devs, every new boss and enemy in Repentance actually has armor, but none of them feel even close to as bad as the Afterbirth stuff does, so it would be great to go back and fix it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Black August posted:

Ultra / Top Secret Rooms are such a cool idea and concept

Yeah the whole red room/key thing is a really inventive mechanic and also has a creepy sense of mystery to it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Just lost a run where I got a Cricket's Head in the first treasure room and lucked into buying a Humbling Bundle in the first shop, because I went for the Lost transformation boss rematch in Dross II. Guess what I'm absolutely going to do again on my next run?

As much as I die to that poo poo though I can't praise it enough as a bonus mechanic for an alt-floor/secret path. It's cool and creepy the first time you do it but even after that wears off it's always there, tempting you to get greedy. And if you have the D6 and can reroll that knife piece too, oh my god dude... (that said I wish there was similar incentive to do the Mines or Gehenna if you aren't going for Mother. Too dangerous!)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ArfJason posted:

I usually go for them anyways due to the possibility of choosing the hidden item when the visible one sucks.

Yeah and the couple times I've taken The Knife but not gone down the Mother path it's put in work for me too; it's a really good familiar. I usually don't risk it though since I don't have the Mines/Ashpit bosses down very well, plus I'm working on filling out Isaac's completion marks so I always reroll the first Knife Piece anyways

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That all checks out, yeah. First time through you don't need to do the trinket thing because the chest has a guaranteed Red Key, but you may as well make a habit out of it because if you're like me you absolutely will forget it on future runs and feel very dumb

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

I think Mines II is usually worth the effort - the knife familiar gives a significant buff to damage, and it’s a source of damage that goes through walls. Not as high-impact as Downpour II or Mausoleum II, though. (Mausoleum II is amazing because you get an extra treasure room, an extra shop, and you don’t have to deal with the Womb’s double damage effect.)

drat I never actually considered that! Guess I need to practice that floor a little more

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Well, just discovered exiting just as you die apparently keeps your win-streak? Otherwise I'd be real pissed since I'm trying to go for the "Get a 5 win streak with different characters each time" and dying as Azazel against Isaac feels real bad.

They reduced that achievement to 3 which is pretty reasonable!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ryuga Death posted:

Birthright is an awesome item, especially on Eve.

I just looked it up, that's really really cool. Wild how much went into this expansion

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

Also when I played day one I got the holy mantle effect after touching the white fire but after the first patch dropped its gone which was fun to realise only after I tried to leave the curse room. I don't think I have the Lost unlocked yet on this save file. I only ever unlocked them on PS4, back when you had to do a bunch of nonsense dying to specific things as specific characters. These days its just dying in a sacrifice room with the missing note equipped right? And the mantle is a greed mode unlock right? I need to get that done I'm losing too many runs going for just one more pip of charge in the mirror world lol.

Yeah and you don't actually need to unlock Lost to get the mantle on him when you go through the mirror. I haven't done it on this file but I have unlocked the mantle start in greed mode, and he gets it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah - you need to beat Hush with Keeper.

And even if you don't, getting an HP up item will increase you to three max health (but no further) now

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Einwand posted:

Card Reading, it's a new shop item, it spawns 2 of 3 portals at the start of every floor, blue for secret room, yellow for treasure room or red for the boss, it picks one of the blue/reds for floors without treasure rooms.

I got this on an OP run and decided to go for the Lamb and knock out the rerun achievements. Managed to finish my rerun in about 4 minutes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

They added a guppy item and a guppy trinket (counts toward the transformation but only if held). Both need to be unlocked though.

New guppy item is loving cool, too

shows you the contents of chests, tinted rocks, etc before you open them. Believe it's a Tainted Judas unlock!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Black August posted:

I played Eden and started with a golden guppy drawing trinket, and then found Guppy's Paw in the first curse room... and the gold trinket counted for 2 of the 3 needed!

Yeah that trinket is really cool. I think you lose the transformation if you drop it, so there's a little drawback, but there are very few other trinkets I can imagine being more useful. It's funny how good Guppy still is even with fly generation being cut in half

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Stelas posted:

tl;dr 'waaah let me melt stuff in my single-player game' I guess

Nah it's a fair point, and I've said it before but the implementation of armor in the new Repentance enemies and bosses works pretty well, where you have to engage with them and their attacks to a certain threshold but if you're at the right intersection of lucky & knowledgable enough to break the game, it's still possible to totally melt them.

Delirium is sort of in-between (if you catch him in his normal form he's got no damage reduction at all, but he's got a ton when he's transformed into another boss) but Hush and Ultra Greed still suck rear end. Mother, Beast, and the final Four Horsemen fight are all in the sweet spot IMO.

edit: I'd say Mega Satan is in a pretty good spot as well but could be slightly quicker to kill. As it is you basically have to run through all of his attack patterns for at least one cycle but it never feels like a huge slog like Hush does for example

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 18, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I don't think floor 1 should ever have curses honestly. Makes that R key too tempting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Man you guys weren’t kidding about psy fly. Absolutely insanely OP item that managed to carry my dumb rear end who took a blind item and got Isaac’s Heart.

Yeah it's wild, I hope they don't touch it lol. Still haven't gotten it and Bot Fly together (or duplicated it) but I imagine at that point you've got to be completely immune to projectiles