Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Orange Harrison posted:

Why can't you just turn off random curses already? The Lost can start with Holy Mantle but perish the thought you can unlock Black Candle as a starting item for anybody.

you can use the BLCK CNDL seed to do this. lots of races are done with that turned on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

senrath posted:

Unless they fixed it, there's a way you can explode yourself into the black market from any crawlspace in a similar manner to that.

They did not fix it. This trick is called the "black market clip," there's a consistent setup to do it with two bombs, and it's used all the time by racers and speedrunners.

I didn't know you could do it with shrinky pills too

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

Not really, there's only a couple of those and they're dependent on other factors as well(eg: that one room where you enter from the top or bottom and there's brimstone wall spiders on either wall at different heights is guaranteed to hit you if you can't kill the nearest one before it starts moving and its brimstone hitbox moves with it a bit before vanishing... unless you are small enough that it does not reach you via that)

It's more than just a couple. The guy who made the "jud6s" mod spent a lot of time going through all the rooms trying to remove all unavoidable damage. His list of room changes is here: https://github.com/Zamiell/jud6s/blob/master/docs/room_changes.md

By my count, he changed or removed about 70 rooms that could have unavoidable damage. (as well as a bunch of other changes for other reasons)

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

I've noticed a lot of new room types recently too. I wonder if they did a quiet update to the room types, or they're on some kinda timer to unlock or whatever.

there's just so many rare rooms that you don't see all of them for a long, long time

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Maggie has more health but is really slow

She's one of the fastest characters now, since she always starts with a speed up pill, which brings her to the standard starting movespeed of 1, and then she'll always have speed up pills identified

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Wait what?!

How long has this been a thing? I don't think I've played as her since I finished all her unlocks because being slow makes so much damage unavoidable :v:

like 6 days

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

comingafteryouall posted:

So are there any new trinkets that can rival cancer for best in the game?

Cancer is so good. Don't even need any other tear up items if you find it.
This is very silly. if you have no other tears ups, cancer has less effect than a hanger.

new trinket candidates for "situationally better than cancer" include: dim bulb, locust of conquest, locust of wrath

BJPaskoff posted:

Curved Horn is sometimes better. Other trinkets are situationally better, like you don't need Cancer with Mom's Knife or Brimstone but you really don't need anything else with those two anyway. Cancer is great because there's nothing in the game quite as satisfying as a tear delay of 1.

wanting to know under what conditions curved horn is better than cancer was the impetus for me to make this DPS calculator page: http://hyphen-ated.github.io/rebirthDps/

it's missing plenty of new items but the fundamental relationships between damage, tears, and delay are still the same

Hyphen-ated fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 16, 2017

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Spergatory posted:

Is there a full list of everything the entity stacking bugfix affects? Am I correct in reading that this is something that has always been broken in the game's base code and is only just now getting fixed because until that video, Edmund and co didn't even realize it was broken? Because that's pretty astounding if true.

That is correct. It's been broken since the release of Rebirth.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Mods can now check to see if you're pressing keys, though as far as I can tell, you can't actually BIND the key without the mod doing some kind of weird workaround.

Here's a mod I made that uses this and gives you a built-in D6 ability, so you can take the lovely space items you find and continue rolling items on your whole run anyway: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=855995373

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

flyboi posted:

I don't know if hyphen_ated still posts in here but he was practicing for some upcoming maggie tournament where they built in d6 to her as a secondary item. Dunno when/where the tournament is though.

That tournament is coming up this Saturday and Sunday starting at 9 am pacific both days. Saturday is a "fun bracket" where all the entrants are people from the TO's stream community with little/no racing experience. Sunday is most of the best racers in the world (I expect to lose in the first round)

ruleset: http://imgur.com/a/OWwlE

bracket: http://challonge.com/bfftournamentcomp

streamed on: https://www.twitch.tv/tyrannasauruslex

prize pool: couple hundred bucks of steam gift cards

Hyphen-ated fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 20, 2017

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
isaac tournament happening now on https://www.twitch.tv/tyrannasauruslex

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
I got third in the tournament! woo.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Gz on your 75 canada dollars!

It's kind of funny to see how much racing has changed since BoS. Nobody's beelining for curse rooms and guppy anymore, and there's a bunch of new AB & AB+ starter items. Chocolate milk is not a runstarter anymore and shops aren't super great for mapping.

I don't think checking curse rooms for a start was ever worth it, but yeah, guppy is much much harder to get now because the pools expanded so much. And there's only three new starting items since AB: deadeye, tech x, and jacob's ladder. some runners don't even start jacob because they think it's too weak. so overall reset times got worse.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

flyboi posted:

Good Game DesignŽ (no, the spikes don't retract)

I'm pretty sure this visual bug happens if you step on the button during a one frame window right as the spikes are changing state (I forget which direction)

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Rirse posted:

As bad some of the new bosses the DLCs add...none can top Mask of Infamy when you have a run without piercing or anything to hit him in the back. Completely killed interest in finishing my run after going through a several soul hearts and getting red heart damage to lose the devil room once again. I honestly rather fight Husk again over that jerk without a decent way to hurt it.

there is a technique to hit him reliably, you just gotta learn it man

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

g0lbez posted:

I've been playing this game for a billion hours and still think infamy is the worst boss by far, please share your ultimate technique with us

edit: and if it's "hitting him from the side" then you can eff off!!

you hit him from the side while moving in the same direction he is moving.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

Hey all, question: I picked this up and have been playing some but I'm having an error: the game crashes after I beat it. My understanding is they added a ng+ type option where it starts you over in basement 1 after a win... is this a common problem? Does anyone know the fix.

check the logfile at Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+\log.txt

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Doesn't antibirth do all that?

they're talking about the AB+ modding api. antibirth doesn't include any of the content that was part of AB and AB+, and also doesn't expose an api for others to use

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Jibo posted:

Did they ever make it so you can restart with a controller on the PC version? I would probably restart more often if I didn't need to get my keyboard for it.

You can manually edit the controls config file to bind reset to a controller button. Alternatively you can use joytokey to make isaac believe your controller is a keyboard and have one of the buttons be R.

One way or another it's always been possible to restart with a controller, going back to original flash isaac.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Psychedelicatessen posted:

You could start as Isaac and then cheat engine whatever item you want to try into the first item room. I think that's the fastest way right now

using the game console is way easier. just have any mod active, then you can hit ~ and use the "giveitem" command. "g" for short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

that ivy guy posted:

Monstro's lung is actually always an epic choice (unless you have triple/quad shot; the tear delay becomes terrible for no added benefit).

if you release your charges perfectly and all your lung shots hit, it's x3.25 dps with base tear rate. this reduces down to only x3 when you have two hangers worth of tears up. if you get a third hanger, the dps goes up to about x3.5 because lung allows you to use more tears past what the cap normally is.

of course, you're not going to reach this theoretical maximum, but it's still a huge boost unless you're incredibly bad at aiming your lung shots.