Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does this sound like something worth doing?
This poll is closed.
Yes 53 94.64%
No 3 5.36%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

easiest thing would be setting up a private google chat group.
people only added after authenication by a known trusted person.
aka no grover, no D&D counter-invaders, no trolls besides the homegrown gip trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zeris posted:

I think we better decide whether this is purely to link up and matchmake folks to chat offline however they like, or if it's going to house its own discussion so others can weigh in and offer advice.

whatever happens there's still the irc gip channel. having a hosted site is nice but gently caress it i prefer the cloud...using burner social media ids & email addresses in case personal info accidently gets leaked again.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zeris posted:

...I also think as long as we have a secure&anonymous way to link up, there doesn't need to be NSA proof encrypted 9304-bit secured transmissions or whatever. I mean, I would (for myself) just want to look up someone and dial his google voice number (for example) and connect to him.
....... Seems to me like all we really need is a way to find each other. Once two people agree to speak, they don't need private means beyond what already exists in daily life. Am I missing something?

i'm a big fan of keeping things simple when trying to future proof things involving a large group of people.
thats why i keep mentioning google hangouts & a dedicated Gip Hangouts group, to be used in addition to whatever GetHelp website or GetHelp forums get created or shared.

plus-side: Hangouts is better than IRC, and isn't facebook. people can always use Google Voice #'s if they don't want to share their personal #'s.
Google Hangout's message history feature is good for our types of issues.
downside: you need to be logged into google hangouts app. this may mess with peoples preferred SMS/texting app. Hangouts isn't facebook.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3111943?hl=en

quote:

When you leave a group Hangout a few things will happen:

You’ll no longer be notified about new messages or video calls in the Hangout.
You’ll no longer have access to the Hangout’s history.
Other people in the Hangout will still be able to see the Hangout’s history including the messages you sent.

If you’d like to rejoin a group Hangout, someone who is still in the Hangout must add you back. Once you re-join, you’ll have access to the Hangout’s history including the messages sent after you left the Hangout.

I vote Shim as the proposed Google Hangouts admin/creator.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mike-o posted:

Keep it simple, then it will be fine. Google hangouts seems like it would work.

agreed. Shimazu: fire up your imagination & create a bizzare Google Hangouts group name.
suggsted group names:
Group Shame, wtf is a sadbrain?, DD-214 required

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 2, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the reddit gip died extremely fast and won't be missed by anyone.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zeris posted:

The reasons it died had very little to do with reddit

agreed.
anyway, if shim doesn't step up i'll make the private google hangouts group tonight, and start inviting known people into it(godholio, AB, HDI, N4I, etc).
i'm the jackass in the steam gip group with the long-rear end name stolen from a danger 5 episode.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

damnit, i'm ready to get the google hangout working.
pinging AB because I see him on steam,
anyone else want to help out my steam name is currently Massimiliano Importante

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Christoff posted:

How does google hangouts work exactly? I know it's kind of like a chat room where you can send pictures and stream webcam but is it always there even if no one is signed into it or?

the chat room stays there forever basically, and it caches messages for you indefinitely.
u on steam chat?

e: and I love my new google email address.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 2, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

i'm using a secondary gmail account dedicated to this.
kinda overkill since my main gmail account exists to power my smartphone, but i'm stupid/paranoid that way.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

my new email address is based on my favorite whiskey brands.
sadly, @gmail.com email addresses are needed to use google hangouts.
...unless you're using the business google email stuff.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 2, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Christoff posted:

The google hangouts gonna be strictly for "get help" or is it irc kk moker and friends party zone 2.0

i'm treating google hangouts as a strictly "get help" thing, but if people want to make it the party zone, it's cool with me.
If people hate that idea, irc party zone 2.0 can be split off into another hangouts channel.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ok you bastards.
i'm back online and logged into steam.
someone steamchat me and i'll get the hangouts channel setup.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Obama Africanus posted:

Cole thinks this guy is programming the automatic voice lady from the VA 800 number lol. I bet in Coles mind this job looks like a mad scientist doing judo with a brite-lite.

Lawnmower Man with it's crappy CGI is what Cole thinks is happening.

shim, google hangout message REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED so we can get the hangout created, and handed over to everyone else.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 8, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Cole posted:

would own if true

agreed. http://youtu.be/I33u7P-XokE

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

google hangout chat seems to work ok. message with different people history appears on multiple devices,and there is options to block/archive/forget message histories. the google hangouts plugin for the chrome browser kinda sucks rear end, so i suggest using the google hangouts app on your smartphone or tablet devices.

delizin website thing: it sounds very overkill/designed as more of a global get-help system than the lowkey Don't loving kill yourself/loving call someone in GiP to talk you down if you feel suicidal we need to avoid another Schneider event.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the google hangouts room is created. bother christoff or zeris to get invited.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can I get a list of people who to PM for an invite? I'd like to get a new thread together to stick.

zeris, cole, zombie303, christoff, mike-o, AB, and me so far.

e: shim and HDI have pending invites to the GH thread.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 7, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Just sent you a PM since Zeris is being sloooooow

you've been invited.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

my burner google hangouts email address is still posted in this thread. no pms needed, you can use steam chat to give me your info or just send an email.
HDI: you've been invited.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 7, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hekk posted:

Are we all using burner accounts on this poo poo or are we using real names? I am stupid and not used to using google + so I am going to have to make a fake account if others aren't using their real info too.

some of us are using real accounts/real names, some of us are using burner google accounts.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

people who asked me for hangout invites & have gotten zero responses from me:
i don't read the gip threads you post in, sorry. drunk chat & monthly vet chat are the only gip threads i read now.
AB, Christoff, Cole, Zeris, etc will happily auth you in after proper vetting.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Godholio posted:

I really need to figure out what my password is.

do what the lazy people did, and make a new google account.
i'm just waiting for shim and spongebob to join the hangouts chat before i bail out. those two are the most "at-risk" people in gip after genocide tendencies, and man, it would suck if they pulled a schneider.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

damnit.
just checked the hangouts thread.

we need to start getting google voice #'s attached.

e: it's cool. mike-o is online, talking with us.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 14, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Godholio posted:

More people need to join. There's only 2 or 3 of us on most days.

browsing the hangout history on a smartphone sucks so i only check it when i remember it or when someone sends out a emergency meltdown alert.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

people wanting a invite to the hangouts chat should pm godholio, hekk, or cole for vetting.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

new gip hangout created, invites sent to everyone in the old hangout chat.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Master Bateman posted:

I got added to Hekk's circle, not a hangout.

repost in the old chat so i know who you are & can invite you

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

Also how do I get added to the hangout poo poo if I want to talk about emotions to you assholes.

tuluk posted:

people wanting a invite to the hangouts chat should pm godholio, hekk, or cole for vetting.

all the above people regularly post in the hangouts session. you can PM me too, i don't check the hangouts chat as often as hekk/cole/godholio though.

i was gonna call you a retard for not even reading this page fully, but gently caress....all of us in the hangouts were stupid enough to sign up for the military so no shame.
Since the OP has hosed off somewhere,

N4i:

could you update the OP with that quote? It needs a updated contact list.

e: elmaligno has been added to the hangout chat, so everything is good.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 30, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

HClChicken posted:

I submitted a 10-10ez like a month ago. Still haven't heard back. What the gently caress is going on.

i have no idea who you are, so there's no way i'm adding a unknown-to-me person to the hangouts chat. the other people quoted in my earlier post might remember you or not.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Rucksack 2K14 posted:

On a tangentially related note, the Google Hangout thing sounds like a good group for established regulars, but this whole "I don't know you so you have to PM other people and wait on a reply" is likely to be a major hindrance for crisis situations and lurkers.

Yeah, thats the major issue with the GiP hangout thread in a get-help sense.
In regards to crisis situations, there's at least 1-3 people active in the hangouts chat at all times. In regards to GiP lurkers, well that's why there's been 2 different GiP get-help threads and why the whole vetting thing exists....people started sharing the personal contact info listed in the 1st GiP get-help thread to other SA subforums, and it was a real invasion of privacy for everyone involved in the 1st GiP get-help thread.

In regards to people who having been posting here forever, there's been so many name changes, reregs & bans for 80% of the GiP regular posters, that it's very hard to keep track of who's who.
Especially if you only regularly read 4 threads in gip like me(drunk thread, veteran thread, games thread, and this thread). If you don't regularly post in the threads I read I probably don't remember who you are.

Having multiple people on the contact list makes it easier for GiP regulars to be identified & invited to the Hangouts chat ASAP. GiP Lurkers need to go the extra step or just post about their issues so we know something is up.

HClChicken: sorry man.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

invision isn't very smart...but he's ok as long as no one mentions his trigger words.
bloomin onion

invision, if you've got a issue let us know.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

USMC503 posted:

hosed up/E/N situation regarding the misses.

I could really use an invite please guys usmc.luke88@gmail.com

invited

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

How's Cole today?

pissed & embarrassed that people keep asking if he's ok is the latest word from beria.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Just glad you're doing better Cole.
Monty would have been totally lost with you gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pesticide20 posted:

I've been in this weird place lately where I've been having some suicidal thoughts and done some stupid poo poo because I've been depressed. However, I've been seeing Behavioral Health and talking to my therapist has been good for me. Tomorrow I should be getting a prescription to help with my lack of sleep and to not feel so down, which I am a little scared of, because I definitely don't want to be dependent on pills. Anyway, after my session today I went back to work and it became suuuuuuuuper uncomfortable because my therapist let my leadership know about my suicidal thoughts, which I understand, but goddamn if I don't want every motherfucker above me suddenly caring about me and making sure to tell me that they love me and poo poo. I'm not even sure of what I'm trying to say right now. I guess I just wanted to air my thoughts with all of you.

hop in the hangout & vent about how uncomfortable you feel. pm me, n4dicks, n4ass, or usmc503 if you aren't already in.

• Locked thread