Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
There's nothing wrong with having mild, limited past drug usage and admitting to it on your SF86. In fact, if you ever hope to have a job that requires a full-scope poly, expect to be asked those kinds of questions in detail. Lying to your dipshit recruiter is one thing, lying during a polygraph will disqualify you from lots of stuff really quickly. And take note that if you fail a polygraph (CI or full-scope) and never re-take it in order to obtain a "pass", while it doesn't invalidate a TS directly, it *will* follow you to your next clearance adjudication...

Also, note that I'm talking about mild, "experimental" drug usage (smoked weed a couple times, tried shooms in college - things of that nature). If you've done every designer drug known to man as recently as say, 6 months before you join...that might be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Last time I went to sick-call (Army base OCONUS) I was given motrin and 1 day SIQ (I went back to work because it was already like 1300). Fast forward to Sunday (a total of 9 days later) - I'm getting worse, not better, and decided I didn't feel like dying alone in my apartment, so I go to the ER. Turns out I had fluid build-up in my lungs because I'd had walking pneumonia for ~9 days. First doc (an actual doctor) gave me loving motrin for pneumonia and thought it was a "chest cold".

Ever since then, since I got back to CONUS I just go to civilian docs and then call tricare on the back-end and say "hey, couldn't make it to the nearest MTF". They usually hee and haw a bit, but gently caress them - that's what insurance is loving for...

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

bengy81 posted:

and she was kind of fugly, even for Navy standards.

Literally not possible...just depends how long you've been underway without a port visit...

buttplug fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 16, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

I reverse engineer arrays for fun you loving bitch

e: his original post lol: That's not true. Depends on the array. Aaaaand the rest of the discussion would have to be high-side.

Because it's true, but I didn't think the specifics belonged on this form.

edit now that I've googled it: When I was getting my SWO pin I was on one of like 5 ships in the Navy that had this: http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/mfta-the-us-navys-new-towed-array-for-naval-detection-04956/ and it was in CO's standing orders never to go above 15kts with the array out because "you could rupture it" because the thing is basically a giant rubber condom filled with magic liquid and some other fancy poo poo. I only remembered that because I literally had the standing orders memorized verbatim at one point. *shrugs*

buttplug fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 16, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
The tape test is garbage and always has been. Ultimately it comes down to genetics for folks who are over the max weight: either you naturally have a fat neck and a skinny waist (because you store fat elsewhere) or you don't.

I've always found it easier to just be below max weight, because the tape test is variable and I've seen people get measured during courtesy weigh-ins and pass, and then fail the next day because of a different person taking the measurement. It's stupid and inaccurate.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm more referring to whatever dipshit CO wrote those standing orders.

He's in major command now...your community, not mine boi! :derp:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I am literally shocked that a risk averse, technically ignorant officer was promoted to major command in the SWO community!

Why stick around then? Why didn't you put in a lat xfer package before your DH rides?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

You just said "factored into my calculus." You'll do fine in 16 years when you get your first star.

I say "mental calculus" all the time... I hear that poo poo in the civilian sector all the time :shrek:

edit: COWPENS is loving cursed. Swap crews, swap homeports, and that ship still kills careers like its going out of style. IIRC it had the single worst retention rate of any unit in the Navy back in 2009-2010 (Graf era).

buttplug fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 18, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

Ah Graf.

PROTIP: When you're at a BOI begging a bunch of flags to have mercy on what's left of your career, it's generally not a good idea to blame everything on your JOs.

And they still let her retire as an O6. I'm sure everybody here heard all the stories about poo poo she did. I heard them from across the pier when I was out in 7th Fleet (and some of their JOs cross-decked to us to qual while they were getting their cracked shaft fixed). She was generally a terrible, terrible woman to pretty much everybody but E4 and below. For whatever reason, she treated junior enlisted like gold but would throw cups of coffee at XO, choke of DHs, and put Master Chiefs in time-out (like physically make them go stand in a corner in CIC). Yea.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

So it looks like the quarterdeck watch has pissed off enough departments that they're going back to it being staffed by those stuck in holding. This was pretty much the best news and now I can't use "gently caress duty days" as an excuse for getting out of the Navy. But seriously, gently caress duty days, they have no point at an intel command.

I heard about this, and you know what? I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU gently caress UP QUARTERDECK WATCH AT A SHORE COMMAND.

Seriously. It's goddamn retard-proo--oh, wait... CTs....mmm, nevermind.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Another thing. I have seen some stupid signature blocks in my time, but who the gently caress is teaching Sailors how to write the stupidest, most self-important, bullshit-rear end signature blocks? I am *literally* seeing poo poo like this on a regular basis:

quote:

V/R|R/,
Fuckerson, Timmy
PO2, USN (Active)
Meaningless Convoluted Job Title
Equally Useless Division
gently caress-ups Department

Assistant Command Meat-Gazer
Command Collateral Duty Nobody Else Wants
Other Command Collateral Duty Nobody Else Wants

AS Information Systems & Underwater Basketweaving
BS Information Systems & Advanced Underwater Basketweaving (96cr hours, expected 2015)

Low-side Phone
High-side Phone
Low-side Email
High-side Email
High-high side Email

1234 COMMAND BLDG
loving ST.
STUPID CITY, FU 69696

"<INSERT CLICHE EDMUND BURKE QUOTE HERE>"

I'm totally not exaggerating this poo poo. I'm thinking of one person in particular who literally has all of these things actually spelled out, and I'm probably forgetting a couple lines...but I keep seeing goddamn people with 20-25 line email signatures. Are they teaching this poo poo at Great Lakes or something? Or are they too busy teaching people to cheat on their PFAs?

Most 2-4 stars sign emails like:

quote:

"v/r,
first/middle/last initial"

Admiral loving McRaven - who motherfucking killed bin Laden signed emails:

quote:

ADM Bill McRaven, USN
Commander, USSOCOM

That was loving it.

Do you really need to append a loving novel to every email?

buttplug fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 20, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

It's mandated at my command, and LPO would force me to do it. As a joke I have Warhammer 40k quotes about killing things and purity of mankind. Making fun of it with "Very truly respectfully yours" got a few laughs from people that hate that poo poo.

What loving command is that that *requires* that. I have never, ever seen a command anywhere encourage such absurd email signatures. The closest thing to that kind of toolbaggery that I've seen is FLTCYBERCOM(FCC)/C10F which has a specific format for their signature blocks and for whatever reason (as if anybody cares) forces now-civilian retired Navy to sign their emails with their rank (ret) like it actually holds any weight.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, signatures are stupid.

V/r
LT MML
Billet, Command
SIPR: MML@SIPR.COM

That's it. If I want them to have my number I will give it to them.

Admittedly, my signature looks something like:

quote:

V/r,
FIRST LAST, RANK, USN
TITLE
OFFICE

UNCLASS PHONE
UNCLASS EMAIL
HIGH-SIDE PHONE
HIGH-SIDE EMAIL

Which I personally find to be lengthy (just my preference) but I also deal with other agencies from all over the world/outside the DoD so...w/e but still, I try to keep that poo poo minimal where possible.

I'm just a little annoyed because I got handed a stack of E5 evals yesterday and the guy with the 35-line email happened to be one of them, and he captured every pointless detail about his bullshit collateral duties but very little pertinent information about his actual job. And he failed his last PFA. Is all of that poo poo his fault? Yes. But, does it frustrate the gently caress out of me that Big Navy and more specifically, the Chief's Mess encourages sailors to put so much time and effort into collateral duties that it not only takes away from but diminishes the actual job they're billeted and paid to do? Absolutely.

As a Navy, it seems like people are losing the loving plot and we as an organization are becoming so political that we can't see the forest through the trees. Immensely irritating.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 20, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

SWOS did. Even for students. They loving checked... :shepicide:

SWOS... The command that spends more money on knee-pads than SOF.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

The "Not the Real Navy" kind of poo poo can get blown overboard, however a lot of shore commands seem to forget that they exist solely to support the ships, subs, and squadrons that are out there doing whatever dumb poo poo the Navy told us to do. Let me tell you, there is nothing as loving infuriating as spending 24+ hours busting your and your guys' balls to try and do something, exhaust your capabilities, and then try to get ahold of a shore staff only to find out that they're gone for the day at 1430 or whatever.

If part of your duty day at an intel command involves being there to support RFI's from tactical units at all hours of the day, then it is absolutely not a bullshit requirement, and gently caress anyone for bitching about it.

Sir Lucius and I work at the same command:gay: (2300+ people) and I can tell you that we do not exist to support unit or squadron-level assets *parts* of the command are dedicated to exactly that, but the command as a whole is not. We're talking legitimate highest-priority national-level missions in MOST instances. Not an exaggeration. We (as in our command) is anomalous in that regard, but not every shore station in the Navy lives and breathes to support the Fleet (regardless of whatever bullshit political Naval spin CAPT Wants-a-star tries to put on his mission). There is more to the DoD than that, especially when the majority of our Navy isn't in 5th FLT lobbing Tomahawks into Syria, but doing drift ops/box ops in the middle of nowhere.

And while I fully empathize the rear end-pain and frustration of being at an operational unit and not being able to get a hold of Person X at Shore Command Y because it's 1530 EST (but o'dark thirty in your floating prison) and they're gone for the day, but that's the exception not the norm. That's why shore duty is there: to recharge your batteries. If the mission was legitimately that important, somebody'd be on a duty phone at the very least.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

If a ship at sea is calling a command, an office code at a command, for assistance the odds are extremely high that that command exists to support a deployable asset in some fashion.

Trust me, I am well aware of shore commands existing to recharge batteries after sea duty. But standing 10+ section duty to respond to assistance requests from deployable units is not really an onerous or arduous tasking.

So I reiterate, if you are at a shore command that assists deployable assets, then gently caress you for bitching about having to do your job.

I don't disagree, I was just saying that's not "all the Navy does" regardless of what SWO O7s has been telling you your whole career.

That poo poo reminds me of the time I was standing around an NSTS phone on speaker with an Army O6 (SF), Army O5 (SF/Ranger), Navy O5 (SEAL), and a couple other O3s hovering around, and our SEL (a SOCM) while we called a 3-letter liaison about a time-sensitive mission issue only to have the IT3 on the other end of the line go "ugh, it's 1645 can't this wait until tomorrow?"

And that SOCM picked up the phone (which took it off speaker) and delivered the most glorious rear end-chewing I've ever heard in my life. Some of the poo poo this dude was saying, I was nearly taking notes for later re-use. Apparently that IT3 also had to write a 1000-word apology and then come to the command (I wasn't there for it) and apologize to the O6 and probably get fist-hosed by the CMC/SEL.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Hekk posted:

If I were a junior sailor assigned to a ship and that ship was not at sea, would I still have to live on the ship or are there squid barracks or something?

Depends on the ship. It's different OCONUS (7th FLT) from CONUS. In 7th Fleet, single/unaccompanied E5 & below lived in the barracks. IIRC E3 and below had to live aboard the ship for their first 90 days.

E6 and above (and married folks) lived in either base housing or off-base depending on availability. But, that's also 5-year old info so...ask your sponsor?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Hekk posted:

I have no sponsor since my ship is moving this winter and the dude I am replacing isn't following it. Also, I am not a sailor so there are only like 6 jarheads at the navy base I'm going to. Thanks for the info though.

What rank are you? Have you tried to email the first staff NCO in your chain of command? Your ship is required to provide you a sponsor - homeport swap or other circumstances notwithstanding. Ask whichever POC you have aboard that ship for *anybody else* who is going to be with the ship after its homeport swap. If he doesn't provide you a useful POC, get a hold of the CMC or the ombudsman (literally just googling the ship's name will yield a public website which should have these email addresses).

If you do all of that stuff and still come up empty-handed, come back and give us the ship's name and we'll get your situation squared away. You'll be standing in lines, getting bad haircuts, and hogging the free-weights in the gym in no-time.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

I completely feel you. It is an awkward line to walk trying to do your operational job and meet the administrative requirements of the Navy side. It was very new for me coming here as a non-crypto officer, but slightly easier to navigate as an O. the E's here get pulled in a million different directions and I don't envy some of the poo poo that gets put on their plate (duty section/watch, on top of being on a watch floor rotation a lot of the time, plus poo poo like DIRSUP/IAs). It's a difficult relationship to navigate.

That, and this place is notorious for head-hunting MIL people and pulling them over to the CIV/CTR side. O and E it's exceptionally common if you're even remotely good at your job. I can't blame you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2_Yi-1Ryf4 (0:18)

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Hekk posted:

I appreciate your willingness to try to help me. I am the senior enlisted Marine assigned to this ship and will be going on an accompanied tour overseas. I was just asking about what lower enlisted sailors have to live like because I've see the berthing areas and they don't get much space.

Well, what kind of ship is it? Also, if you're the senior enlisted Marine going to any ship, I'm guessing it's a carrier/amphib in which case it sounds ate-the-gently caress-up that you don't have a legitimate sponsor or POC to interface with.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Hekk posted:

I am in contact with the dude I am replacing. The ship is moving ports and immediately going into maintenance cycle. The only marine following the ship doesn't check in for another month.

Also, this will be my 7th duty station so the family is pretty well versed on what to do for a move. I am just going to give the ship a heads up when I have finished all my area clearance bullshit and have a flight date.

Marine or not, that doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't still contact the ship's CMC if you're looking for gouge for your Marines as they report to the ship once it makes its homeport swap.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
On the officer side you should *always* trend to the right. Even if you *are* a rockstar when you show up to a command, your first FITREP should almost always be a P, *maybe* MP depending on your competitive group and you should be right at or maybe *slightly* below your CO's average. Next FITREP should trend right (and you should be above his average) and be MP, your last FITREP should be an EP goodbye kiss and should be well above his average. At least, at a good command that's generally how it's supposed to work. You should never, ever trend down at a command with the exception of when the CO PCS'es and therefore your reporting senior resets, and then you should continue to trend right from whatever his baseline his.

So yea, even if the words on your FITREP are stellar, if your command accidentally fucks up and you trend left without the appropriate explanation in the fitrep (i.e. downward trend not indicative of decreased member performance but of lower reporting senior avg)... Stupid admin poo poo.

ActusRhesus posted:

I know all this. LCDR (SEL) was the department head. I had gotten there first.

I can't believe he/she didn't get called out for that. Pretty much the only time I've seen be appropriate for someone to include (SEL) in emails if if they were selected for flag. RDML(SEL) carries incredibly more positional authority and latitude.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 21, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Does it sound weird if I say I always like seeing people get promoted, just in a general sense? (Army/Navy/AF w/e) it's just cool seeing people make rank and get more dolla dolla billz.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

I just hope you pick up so you're that much closer to immunity from pointless tasks.

Pstttt - there's no such thing. This never stops, regardless of rank.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

DustyNuts posted:

Not knocking Panda too hard because Lemoore sucks, but at least you'd have a chance of more cash in your bank account if you tried. Wow, you'd have to go to some meetings - that's tough bro. Are you planning to avoid promotion, meetings and increased responsibility after you leave the Navy as well?

Exactly. Intentionally Christmas-treeing an exam is childish, silly, and literally nobody gets anything out of it. Panda might get 5 minutes of self-gratification thinking he stuck it to the man, but nobody else notices or cares about poo poo like that - he only hurt himself. There are other ways to buck the system and stick it to the man if you don't enjoy what you're doing for your first (and potentially only) term in the Navy. Welcome to the real world: there will *always* be aspects of every job you have in life that are mundane bullshit that you disagree with and would rather not be doing.

Yes, some of that suck is very unique to the military lifestyle and there are certainly a lot of irritating things that civilians will never have to put up with, but you will always have a boss who asks you to do stupid poo poo. You don't think 4-star Admirals/Generals get tasked to do poo poo that they absolutely don't want to do, but have to because SECNAV/SECDEF/POTUS directed it?

All jobs entail you doing things that you may not necessarily want to do.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

I'm not. I show everyone what to do, I teach every LPO how to do their jobs, I make everyone laugh with jokes and help the new kids out of corps school how to plan ahead and what they need to do to get by, but at the end of the day I view it as something that hardly matters for my time in.

You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. Put on your big boy pants for just a second and look at this from a slightly different angle. Pretend the sentence I quoted above was hacked up eval bullets and I was parsing those out into individual actions, this is what I see from a kool-aid drinking O's perspective:

- You're clearly on top of your game to the extent that you're showing your "superiors" (I hate that word) how to do their jobs
- You're affable, personable, and can and make people laugh (this doesn't do much career-wise - at least ostensibly - but people like people they're comfortable around which in your profession is exceptionally important)
- You help/mentor the new boots straight out of their A school and show them what they need to succeed -- I know you don't want to hear this, but it's called "leadership" and you're doing it.
- You're a forward-thinker - This is the kind of thing we expect out of petty officers and senior NCOs. Thinking more than 10 minutes into the future and doing things without being told - initiative is a great thing and people pick up on this kind of poo poo anywhere you go. Being self-motivated - regardless of job or rank is NOT as common as you'd think. Keep doing this.

I'm 100% serious when I say this: you're performing above your paygrade; so why wouldn't you want to show up to the exam, blow it out of the water and SHOW everybody through action (vice inaction) that you're capable of more than just menial, mundane tasks? That's how I see this. When I see somebody junior who is *clearly* doing their boss's job or better yet - their bosses' boss's job - I think "poo poo, this cat gets it. Why the gently caress isn't he 2 paygrades higher when boss-fuckknuckle is incompetent as gently caress?"

THAT is why you show up to the exam, knock it on its rear end, get promoted, get more :10bux:, increase in rank and end up doing less stupid poo poo because you're assigned more meaningful stuff because you've demonstrated that you not only capable of handling it, but handling it with ease. That's the name of the game dude. You're 80% of the way there - the exam is the other 20% of putting it to paper.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 22, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

I guess I just bought into their whole Honor Courage and Commitment bullshit, and the fact that they are always spouting poo poo that is pretty much propaganda is another thing I hate. A civilian job is just a job, if a coworker on the outside tried to sell working in a lab or working on a patient ward as a lifestyle I'd just push them away. But when it comes to something like the Navy, the job can really be a lifestyle if you want it to be.

You've never worked in the private sector at all have you? This isn't even remotely true. MANY business go out of their way to foster a sense of culture/loyalty/comradarie amongst its employees - it has actually been proven to increase productivity so that people aren't just showing up, doing the bare minimum, and giving no fucks about anybody else. That's not to say that that still doesn't happen, but it's not as prevalent.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

keep in mind that the previous two poster/genius/experts about everything have like two internships between them in the corporate world, like, total

heh

some companies actually emphasize having a personal life away from the job, it definitely helps to keep people around :)

The gently caress are you talking about? I was both a sysadmin and a Java developer before I joined the Navy.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 23, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Suffice to say, it seems like being an incompetent douchenozzle is a requirement for command at sea.

I'd say this depends: my first CO was a complete rear end-kissing careerist who'd throw everybody under the bus and volunteer us for grueling assignment after grueling assignment because he wanted stars and major command (and he just got major command). Second CO literally only ever wanted destroyer command and then was going to do his last shore tour and retire - he was 10x better and more relaxed, he enjoyed his command tour and is now happily retired having done what he wanted to do in the Navy.

But yea, I'd say that vast majority of COs with command at sea aspire to keep climbing to the top of the cock.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
My CO can beat up your CO.:smug:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I still don't understand why they made GBS like FYAD/BYOB - what a stupid loving idea. Now I can't tell the three of them apart, it's basically just a bunch of ransom, stupid inside jokes and dick-waving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

DustyNuts posted:

GBS was getting really terrible. Now it's a lot like it used to be in the old days, and that's good. BYOB came around as a foil to FYAD, and has always sucked. FYAD is as old as GBS and is in constant flux - with humor that is hit or miss, and always circle-jerky and stupid. I'm OK with the way the forums are right now.

What do you define as "the old days"? I've been lurking SA since '99... I don't ever recall GBS being this bad. Mind you, there was a period of time where I wasn't on these forums consistently (maybe 8-10 months) and I know GBS had a lot of contentless posts, but making it a giant one-note joke seems a bit extreme. I fail to see how making it BYOB lite where BYOB is FYAD-lite is an improvement. Just my opinion...

• Locked thread