Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TaurusOxford posted:

Get the Efreet regardless. It's an awesome kit.

I've already got both, it was just a question about which to build first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

The way I see it, I have two ways to fix this:

Well, your last-resort is probably:

3) Install the fists backwards, give it a custom paint-scheme (and possibly an anime girl decal on the reactor tower), call it Cherno Beta and blame the whole mess on shoddy Russian construction practices. Then pick up a second one so you can pose them together and let Cherno Alpha actually win a fight with something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Virsago Chest Break and Leopard Destroy?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

I just learned about this series' existence this week from Super Robot Wars X, it seems very weird but the theme is kickin rad

It's good, but that ending.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Muffinlord posted:

Has anyone ever built a model kit of any of the modern BattleTech designs?

Depends. Do you own a high-quality 3D printer? If so, I can point you in a good direction.

If not, your only option is getting a "museum scale" miniature from Iron Wind Metals. All would require glue and likely cleaning up of some sort (I believe they're primarily resin kits (I'm wrong they're solid pewter)).

Edit: They're about 1:125 scale. I can't say I'd recommend IWM's museum scale miniatures though. The proportions feel a little off on the Atlas.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 22, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lemon-Lime posted:

Did those new Battletech tabletop minis with sculpts based off the MechWarrior Online design ever release? I remember seeing the box art for one of the planned boxes.

The new boxed sets did release, but the designs aren't based on the MWO designs. There's an Awesome, a Catapult, a Commando, and then some resculpts of the "safe" reseen, the BattleMaster, Shadow Hawk, Locust, Wolverine, and Thunderbolt. They're also the best quality plastics BattleTech has ever had.

I included an MWO-style Annihilator, an MWO-style Awesome, and an old (lovely) CityTech Timberwolf for comparison. The Annihilator and Awesome were both acquired through a third-party retailer. There's no official way to get models of the MWO sculpts but they're generally pretty nice.

If you're wanting a big showpiece model you're really going to want to just rip the model out of MWO and 3D print it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 23, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

BattleMaster posted:

Also don't pay money for models that someone just ripped from a game when you can rip it yourself for free
I would normally agree, but they asked for simple and those ones were designed to be easy to assemble. They'll still require glue, but they're not just straight rips. Some engineering did go into those.

Lemon-Lime posted:

They definitely look loosely inspired by the MWO ones, but that's disappointing. I'd like to know where you got the actual MWO sculpts. :v:
Since they're not available first party, I think they're safe to link? I got mine from Warhansa, but I do have a few tips.

1) Take a look at the model's displayed parts. If they have separated feet (like the Spider), hard pass. The Spider in general is so tiny it's best avoided, and all of MWO light 'Mechs are spindly and extremely fragile. I'd generally avoid anything smaller than a medium.

2) Their earliest models are their worst-quality ones, and the Atlas and King Crab are both on that list. Flaws in the early models include: tiny arm- and leg-pegs. The later models rectify this.

3) They're Resin, so they must be thoroughly cleaned. The resin is good quality and the newer green resin is tougher than the older buff resin.

4) PGI's Clan 'Mechs are all loving trash and Warhansa's versions are the same. With the exception of the Night Gyr, the Nova Cat, and maybe the Huntsman I'd hard-avoid them in favor of the official pewter models. The Warhansa/PGI Warhawk is particularly bad but that's no loss since the modern IWM Clan 'Mechs are some of their best.

Some of my favorite Warhansa models just in terms of how solid their construction was are: the Cyclops, Zeus, Annihilator, and Black Knight. Their Nova Cat, Warhammer, Rifleman, Shadow Hawk and Marauder are all pretty good too.

For comparison, the worst were the Stalker, the King Crab, and the Quickdraw (and the Spider, holy poo poo is that thing fragile). In every batch I've bought, I've gotten 1 bad or mediocre 'Mech. The Stalker I received was terribly flawed, the King Crab's claws were too thin and easily broken, and it's a miracle I didn't lose the Spider's feet.

Final random tip: If you get a Marauder, you also need to get a Zeus. The Marauder's shoulder autocannon is very small and has deformed in transit both times I've bought one. While that's fixable, it's easier to clip it off and replace it with an autocannon from the Zeus. The Zeus comes with two much sturdier autocannon arms, either of which is perfectly sized to replace the Marauder's gun.

Edit: VVV That's a good point. Those were just the first rips I turned up that seemed to be decent quality.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 23, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought Gunpla didn’t need glue? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Just because it doesn't need glue doesn't mean glue isn't of use, especially if you're planning on filling the gaps between the pieces and painting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just don't forget the Gaogaigarlic Bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xaerael posted:

That being said, I'm having issues finding decent decal sources. I need big "EFSF", big Numerals, big generic warnings, etc. No need for them to be specific to GP03. I've found a few Chinese vendors on eBay, but I've had sketchy experiences with them in the past, which have ended in me tossing painted kits in my kitbashing junk box (including a loving Ex-S).

Here's a 1:144 one for the Zephyranthes (On closer look, it looks like this is for the Dendrobium even though it claims it's for the Zephyranthes)
Here's a 1:100 one for 0083 kits that'll have somewhat bigger EFSF logos on it, but it's half Zeon

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 12, 2020