Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

i asked a question in r/gunpla basically consisting of "are there any gotchas i should be aware of before i start my PGU RX-78?"

what if yall took your fanciest kit, transformed it real small, and shoved it directly up your own rear end?

(gently caress reddit)

gotta save room for all those loving secret santa posts :rant:

anyways so my first post here isn't me complaining about the fuckin r/gunpla subreddit here is one of the latest things i worked on:

https://imgur.com/yCdzsKn
(i have no fuckin clue how to embed video/gifs on this site any more its been like 3 years since ive done any posting)

im also proud of this: Michaelis D Wolfwood

Antoine Silvere fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Queadlunn posted:

I got my Hasegawa Queadluun-Rau assembled!

It's a pretty nice kit, but this is gonna need a good deal of work, there are pretty severe seams on the backpack, shins and forearms. I've got to keep in mind that Hasegawa came from making vehicle scale models and have to treat this with that kind of care. The proportions are really good and it's definitely hitting all of the design elements of the DYRL? Queadluun.

I've got my old-as-hell resin kit, I kind of wish the Hasegawa kit was a bit more round/organic looking in places. Also, the backpack feels a tad too small. But that's my view on the original design.

Gonna paint this in Max's colors once I'm on vacation, even got the paint while I was in Tokyo in October!

EDIT- Demi for scale

Hell yeah, can’t wait to see the finished Max color version

Tergaso posted:

Whoa, the shading on the Lfrith Ur looks amazing! And the collar on the Michaelis is clean, impressive work.

Thank you :shobon: I’ve done shaded paint jobs on like a dozen kits now so I think I’m finally getting the hang of it, lol

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

my partner's father got me a model kit, and their style of modeling is very high quality, but very old school and a gunpla this is not

Probably try and get it together today.

Ooh a Moebius kit, I put together a Michael Myers kit of theirs last year. Definitely a different beast lol

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Well…at least the VF-19 looks cool :smith:

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
All this talk of Hasegawa kits made me pick one up last week and hoo boy it certainly is an…experience. Below is the Gerwalk VF-1A I’m working on:

Finished painting these parts

And I gotta redo these parts because trying to cement painted parts together leads to my big dumb fingerprints all over it (that and I’m just bad at masking).

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Because I'm on a bit of a macross kick I thought I'd check out videos and reviews of how Hasegawa kits are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ7yqikMyQA

This is 15 minutes of pure pain as the builder cries and fixes up all the janky bits (the entire kit)

"Production of legs, this also requires fighting spirit" ain't that the fuckin truth, i'm still not sure how im gonna get the little turbines in the legs now that they're fully cemented

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Tin Tim posted:

What kind of glue works when you want to glue a polycap to some plastic for making custom joints? Plastic cement doesn't want to grip into the material of the polycaps and basic modeling glue seems to create a real weak bond.

You might need to move up to super glue if nothing else is working; the gel kind works best for me.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Phew, all the base layers done. Shading panel lines is much easier at this scale :v Next up, decals, weathering, spot touchups.

Queadlunn posted:

Getting painting done on my Hasegawa Queadluun-Rau kit, Max's colors are coming out really nice.

gently caress yeah, Zentreadi!

Deculture…

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
drat there’s some good rear end Macross kits here. Now to break the trend with my fucky looking kit :rms:

Still need to matte coat it but basically done with it. Not happy with the paint job since having to redo the white made it basically two shades throughout the whole thing. Plus just a bunch of mistakes. Ah well lol

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

What's the difference between the three different MGs and also RE1/100 or whatever?

The difference is they actually make new MG ver. Ka’s and MGEXs :smith:

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to matte coating this guy:

I then dropped it on the loving ground twenty minutes after applying the coat. :sbahj: Somehow the internal wing swivel mechanism broke but the paint job was fine so uhh thanks Oden-kan Matte Varnish

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
I also use method C but instead of putting them in separate little compartments I just put em right on the alligator clips when taking them apart. I do try to organize them by color on the little holders but sometimes I run out of space, lol. If you go this route try to either mask off the connection pegs or sand the paint off them when you’re done cuz it can cause some fit issues when putting the kit back together.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
I have the opposite problem: a packed display cabinet with many, many kits in the backlog that won’t fit :negative:

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Give us kits of those goofy suits that suletta wipes the floor with early in season 2, I don’t care if they’re pbandai

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Iymarra posted:

Question : I remember a bunch of pages back (a few months now) someone was looking at or discussing relatively insectoid looking gundam and I cannot find that post nor the gundam in question. Anyone recall it or able to suggest what it was?

The only bug-like suit I can think of is the Shokew from Victory Gundam. They made an RE/100 of it but it’s kinda hard to find nowadays.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

the wfm display base isnt out yet, right?

between me and my partner my house is lousy with aerials that have nowhere to display their bits

The little bit stands have been out for about half a year actually, should be able to find them on most major sites.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

Apparently, Bandai stopped production on those bases. Even made an announcement on it.

I don't know what's going on, either.

Wait what?? Fuckin Bandai

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Queadlunn posted:

Is that Chu Chu?

She's got a...

...OH GOD, RUN!!!

:perfect:

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Here’s a GOOhN for you goons:

First time hand painting something bigger than an artifact Gundam. Airbrushed the base sand yellow/dark brown, rest is by hand and therefore pretty sloppy lol. Still beats what it looked like straight-built:

:whitewater:

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

looking good, there's always the line of effort to painting ratio. don't get too hung up on perfect lines, washes will fix a lot of the edges. plus you can always go back a fix any minor issues later. it's the beauty of painting. you can always add more

Thanks! I’m always worried about doing washes cuz I don’t really know what I’m doing; do I just slap it on all over or just in the recesses? I’ve panel lined before, is it any different from that? Lol

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips model pals, I might give it a shot on the GOOhN since it was mostly just a fun lil side project. One last question: how much should I worry about color of the wash? Is a “dark” wash (I.e. black/dark grey) good for most recess washes, or should I try to color-match the kit at all?

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Sweet, thanks y’all, I don’t have brown but I have a dark red rust wash I might try later

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
I’ve definitely had tamiya panel liner crack plastic, specifically on my RG Nu Gundam. It seems like it got into a crevice between parts and probably didn’t dry as fast as it should have and caused issues. If you’re quick on the cleanup and don’t skip it on, it should be fine.

I also just base coat all my kits with lacquer paints (Gaianotes EX black or Alclad gloss black base) and have never had any issues with plastic cracking cuz of that.

Tried my hand at washing the GOOhN and hoo boy I’m bad at it lol:

Anyone know of an easy way to clean up acrylic washes after they’ve dried, tried enamel thinner cuz it’s all I had and it didn’t work great.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Painted the Master Asia figure that came with my MG Master Gundam:

Before

After

Pretty happy with how it came out despite not know how to paint eyes to save my life lol. Still beats my first attempt:

:q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
drat that’s a clean as hell paint job, excellent job!