Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Cerebulon posted:

I'm not sure if they've ever gone back and revised a glaring error in a kit without it being a Version 2.0 or 1.5 years later?

Not a “glaring error” per se, but the MG Gelgoog tooling was revised after its initial pressing to add interior detail to the shoulder armor. I also seem to recall that the HGUC Zeta+ had some sort of major inaccuracy that was corrected after the first batch of kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Midjack posted:

lmao the HG Maxter sold out instantly

Nah, it was up for at least an hour and a half on Thursday and they put up another batch this morning (now gone). You really have to jump on stuff as soon as it goes live though if you want to be assured of getting it, and even then…

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

wdarkk posted:

I totally missed it for some stupid reason, I guess I'll have to get it next time. Rose had at least three waves I think?

It will definitely be back before too long.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
How the hell did I never notice that was a gatling?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The pre-EX MG Unicorns are known for being kind of trashy — execution fell well short of ambition, there. Most (not all) Ver.Ka are considerably less janky.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Hope y’all are ready for another HG RX-78-2:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Wasn’t expecting this at all, but I’m there for it. Drumlo and Virunvee too, plz.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The first use of multicolor parts technology that I’m aware of dates back to 1987, and the four-color runners were around years before that.

Problem is, the EX Model line (of which the Red Tail is part) was made on the cheap and priced at a premium, which may be why it’s not around anymore.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Nuebot posted:

To celebrate a pretty decent paycheck that came in, I ordered that loving dunbine. With how people I know have complained about pbandai I was expecting the prices and shipping to be insane but like. Man. It's cheaper than most sites.

I bought three, ‘cause god only knows if it’s ever going to be available again.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The Bandai Hobby Center expansion isn’t online yet. When finished, it may be bigger than the existing facility, so we may well see signifcant changes in release patterns and maybe even new product. I’m pretty excited for it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

MillennialVulcan posted:

Is that Heavy Gundam on P-bandai at risk of disappearing or do I have some time before I commit on it?

You should always jump on P-Bandai stuff ASAP, as there’s no way of knowing whether something is going to linger on the site for months or sell out immediately.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pretty sure ChuChu’s popularity caught Bandai off guard and this kit was an 11th-hour addition to the lineup.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looking at the new SEED Freedom kits, and that Perfect Strike is garishly ugly. It's a visual mess trying to find anything distinct at a glance between all the pink-and-black spikes. It sorely needs a secondary colour to break it up.

From the Gundam Planet product description page:

We're reaching some kind of naming singularity with Seed-adjacent kits; the words "perfect" "strike" and "freedom" have been in a blender for a while and now "rouge" has been thrown in, so it's only a matter of time before the HG Perfect Rouge Amazing Strike Freedom Astray is announced and the Earth's core becomes a black hole.”

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Just realized that the P-Bandai Dunbine has been off the US store for a while, which is... good? All the other nostalgia HGs thus far just seemed to linger, but it looks like people may have actually bought this one. I hope so, because I'd really like to see more Aura Battlers.

Also heard whispers that the Zeta Ver. Ka has been a sales disappointment, which would seem to line up with the frequent discounts I'm seeing on it, so I went ahead and got one. Amazon has it at a decent price with fast Prime shipping and a 3-month payment plan. It's going directly into the backlog, of course, but it's the thought that counts, right?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Leak is a big oops, but I dunno how damaging it really is. Sales lost to people printing their own kits are likely to be a blip if even that, and the bootleggers were gonna do their thing anyway, so this gives them a couple months head start on one or two things at best. It’s still hilariously stupid though, and a fantastic sign for the future of this very cool and necessary “Metaverse” thing.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
“Gundam kits never go out of print” was somewhat true when there were only a few hundred of them (i.e. 30 years ago), but that is not even remotely the case now. If something hasn’t been reissued in ten or more years, what else is there to call it but “out of print?” And at this point, the number of kits that have been unavailable for that long is probably in the hundreds itself.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I remember walking into a Wal*Mart and seeing a wall full of Mandala Gundams, dozens and dozens of the things, and I knew then that the end was near.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Nuebot posted:

p-bandai has xabungle stuff if anyone's into that.

That’d be me. I let out a quiet chuckle of glee today when I saw the new HG.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The 1/100 Dugger is packed with detail and I sorely regret parting with mine.

Picked up the new Xabungle and WM combo pack today, and I gotta say it’s beginning to hurt dropping $40-50 on one regular-sized HG. I get why it’s that way, but I’m still feeling the pinch.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's a pity that Bandai doesn't still do the cars, ships and planes that were their stock-in-trade prior to Gundam, I would definitely be down for summa that.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Buck Wildman posted:

loving lol the juaggu instantly presold out rip

Someone accidentally set the “orders closed” date to 2023, so the preorder went offline at the instant the clock turned over. It’s fixed now.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Synthbuttrange posted:

goddammit

there's no Glaug in 1/72 scale to go with the Regult. only 1/100 so it'll look comically small next to each other. :v Bandai wtf are you doing producing a mismatched mix of 1/100 and 1/72 macross kits

Macross kits were originally split between two companies, and Bandai only has molds from one of them.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Nuebot posted:

It arrived:

Specifically it arrived in the dead of night with no warning because the fedex guy decided not to honk or anything so after waiting and watching all day I gave up around 8PM, went out at 10:30 to throw out some trash and just saw the box sitting there by my gate where anyone could have taken it. Thanks, fedex.

Ever since FedEx 'misplaced' a $600 P-Bandai delivery, I've been coughing up the $3.50 for signature verification on every order. Sucks, but they are not to be trusted and this at least gives me some leverage if they gently caress up again.

Kit owns, by the way. Everything about it is so pretty.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Space Opera posted:

Whether or not they actually collect a signature is a crapshoot. I've had multiple high dollar deliveries from FedEx and UPS with a sig required where they were dumped on the driveway, not even a knock on the door.

Yes, but if something goes wrong it's quite a bit harder for them to say "soz, not our problem," which they will do otherwise. If my local branch is anything to go by, though, the mgt. does not take at all kindly to drivers forging signatures.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
As nice as the Dunbine appears to be, and pricey as it is, I'm fairly annoyed that they chose not to provide a pilot figure. Not great when the cockpit is fully visible, right?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Nuebot posted:

It wasn't that pricy tbh, I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to but it was basically the same price as the HG moongundam they were selling a little while back, and roughly the same price as a new HG kit on newtype.

Dunno what you paid for yours, but mine were $37 a pop before taxes, and that's a lot of money for such a tiny model. They are definitely juicing the price on these: I get why, and I'm glad to pay because I love the gently caress out of Aura Battlers and will buy whatever they decide to make, but leaving the figure out is just bad form.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The old HG Aura Battlers came with pilots and cost a lot less. True, they were kind of bad, but still...

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Generally speaking, anything with a visible cockpit interior gets a pilot, or something approximating one. I guess the thought is that these new metalized canopies are fairly opaque when they're in place, so you can't see anything anyway? Still, it bugs.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want this ludicrously impractical bastard offspring of heck.

e: rumor has it that this thing may cost 700 buckaroos... which, if true, LOL.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 29, 2024

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
They announced an HGUC Bolinoak-Sammhan to go with the Psyco Mk.II, and I think I may have cummed a little.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Marx Headroom posted:

I could've sworn they did a Rick Dias refresh lately but apparently that was the Galbaldy. That's my bad, that one is one me.

They did. It's the old HG with about 30 percent new parts. P-Bandai only, alas.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Heavyarms is 12 bux less than the last time it was offered: it's as cheap as it's ever going to be.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Nuebot posted:

What's up with p-bandai? It's been in maintenance for like four days now.

I tried to get an answer from customer support, fully expecting their usual opaque bullshit, and that's essentially what I got -- no information as to what's really going on and an unconvincing claim that the site would be back up by 9PM EDT tonight (bet you a dollar it won't be.)

The only point of substance offered was a referral to the outage as *emergency* maintenance, which is not a description I recall hearing before. So yeah, they totally got hacked.

e: and it's back. What a weird situation.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 26, 2024

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Arc Hammer posted:

What's that you've redesigned the Hizack from the ground up and given it AOZ proportions and the Hibby Hizack color scheme? Sorry, that kind of engineering can only exist in a P-Bandai state. If you want a modern Hizack for general release you need to spend $80CAD on that upcoming robot spirits action figure or something silly.

The current licensing agreement between Bandai and Dengeki Hobby for AOZ kits stipulates direct sales only, IIRC. I think Sentinel may have a similar arrangement.

I get the annoyance with P-Bandai, really. Having to jump on something you want in a relatively tight window and then wait 4 months for it does kind of suck, if you're even given that option. However, the alternative for most of what they offer is not a regular retail release, but no release at all, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 30, 2024

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
P-Bandai prices are pretty much in line with retail, I have no idea where this "twice as expensive" thing comes from unless you're buying from resellers.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The short answer for things like G-Unit or the new Shuffle Alliance kits being exclusives is that the men in grey suits have run the numbers and determined that Bandai makes more money that way. I don't like it either, but that's the reality now -- the retail push is reserved almost entirely for new properties, and the legacy series get whatever they get.

I do feel really bad for y'all up north who are currently getting passed over for all this stuff: I would be INCREDIBLY frustrated in that position, and I hope it changes at some point. Based on what I've heard about the inner workings of P-Bandai, though, the fact that the US shop exists at all is something of a minor miracle.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
RIP MG, you had a good run.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Has anybody received their delayed P-Bandai orders from April or any word about shipping for May orders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Willo567 posted:

Does this normally happen with P-Bandai? Was thinking about pre-ordering the HG Xabungle

No, not normal. Their irritating lack of transparency is, however.

Guess I summoned the beast because April is on its way now. Still no word on the two May orders, though.