Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'm going to try my second attempt at topcoating tomorrow since the weather is going to be nice and there will be low humidity. I've got a couple questions so I don't ruin a perfectly fine MG.

I've got a can of Testor's Dullcote and Mr. Topcoat. I've read Mr. Topcoat has enough in it "for about one MG" and Testors is should look good "after one coat".

So, when we talk about a coat on a model, is that something I am going to eyeball, or is this measured in how many times I work over the model with a spray? For my last attempt I did two passes of coverage and the end result was a barely noticeable change - so much that I had to get in close to see the matte.

Also between coats of this stuff is what, 1-2 hours?

Practice makes perfect, which is what I hoped to accomplish with my first run, but the results were so subtle it's making me think I didn't apply enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Topcoating still ended up being a dubious effort on my part, but I do like the finished product. Straight garbage at doing panel lines, especially near the ankles and legs, but for my first complete MG that I was using as a trial run for more advanced techniques, I think it turned out okay?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
That's really funny but yeah I can see how those look like action bases. They're two shuttles from Star Wars, Tydirium and then the one from Rogue One. I'm a big LEGO collector and builder too.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 2, 2017

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yep! There's some talk of it making Gundam Markers run but that hasn't happened to me and I've used it on multiple models.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Gunpla and LEGO for me are my two most cathartic hobbies. But at least with LEGO I'm not questioning whether I should kitbash or learn to use an airbrush or actually buy an airbrush and oh god how do you mix paint etc etc

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My fears are that if I buy an airbrush and try to learn the ropes the early results will look like those awful nightmare paintjobs you see online. But it would still be progress which is much better than snapbuilding.

The next logical step would be to make a photobooth too, and then learn how to take good photos, etc

Gunpla black hole

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah I just threw three more HGs onto my already large Hobby wave order with the idea of maybe trying to kitbash. To be frank I'll likely crumble and look into an airbrush setup this month since I know I can afford it.

I want custom kitbash colors and easy paintjobs, drat it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Luminaflare posted:

I was so confused by that until I realized that the suit is facing away from you.

I want a Gundam that is piloted in reverse and no one catches on, and the big transformation scene is it just turning 180 degrees and everyone being really shocked

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
In the back of my mind I knew this existed but had forgotten the gimmick was revealed in such a silly way.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Had a giant piece of poster paper (whatever is in poster frames before you remove it) that I couldn't return so I thought I'd try to make a janky photobox. By just draping it on a cheez-it box.

I think it turned out okay? Frankly with all this gunpla I need more lighting everywhere. Looking at my before and after it's kind of amazing what simply panel lining + topcoat does.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The Gundams at least are all Gundam Frames, I can't recall if the rest of the "current use" mobile suits they used were designed based on the success of the Gundam Frames or not, but it would make sense.

Unrelated, I've bought in on an airbrush setup but haven't bought any paints yet. I'll want to practice before the inevitable botch of my first paintjob. There is a supply of Testors down at the local Michaels, which is really the closest hobby shop to me. But I've read mixed reviews of the stuff online when it comes to painting kits.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
That seems to be the standard with USAGundamStore, with their lootboxes too you can see on the internet there's a group of people who have absolutely no problems and another group who says the customer service is terrible, there's no tracking, things are lost in the mail, etc.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Puddin posted:

Just pulled the trigger on Full Armour MG Thunderbolt and GM Sniper 2.

Hopefully arrive in time for my birthday.

Now have to find some decent sprue cutters. What's everyone use?

I used some alright generic ones and then shaved the rest off with a knife, but I have to say I went in on some Godhands and those things are no joke. I'd seriously consider getting a pair if you can catch them at a good price.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I want more Build Fighters but I don't want more Try. It's a sad feeling.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I might be the newest convert to the hobby in the thread with my first Gunpla being an HG Amazing Red Warrior this February. I've probably bought 15 more HGs and 5 MGs since then. I've been a big LEGO guy for years so by extension this hobby is sucking me in.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I like how the display card just reads "ZZ"

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah it could be that my expectations are all wrong. 75-80% of a pot of Vallejo model air for 1.5 HGs in that colou sound about rightr?

Do you (or I guess anyone really) prime with Vallejo's polyurethane stuff? I'm learning airbrushing and whereas thinning their regular model color stuff is really easy, I always feel like my primer is too thick or too thin. I just primed a few yellow parts and I felt like it went on very thin and wet. On the flip side I've tried not to thin it too much and it seems to go on much drier looking and finer looking, I guess, and it looks more like what I would expect primer to look like. The issue there is it dries very fast and gives me a cleaning headache.

I know Model Air is pre-thinned, so I've tried the primer both ways.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 31, 2017

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Thanks - I have some flow improver and was thinking about using it. I guess no big loss since this is my first paintjob and I'm still learning. Hating how I have to manage with paint drying so often but since I live in a relatively small apartment, even with a respirator/facemask I don't feel comfortable trying out enamels or lacquers.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Just made the very novice mistake of using Tamiya's accent color on some gloss coated Vallejo parts for panel lining. The stuff is a miracle to apply. I then used thinner to remove the drop spots outside the lines. Big mistake, both thinners ate through the gloss coat, the color coat, and the primer. Whoops.

I knew that stronger thinners eat weaker paints, but for some reason told myself the gloss coat protected the layers beneath it. Not so.

I'm gonna have to redo these parts - how do you panel line acrylic, with Gundam marker? Wouldn't an enamel thinner eat through any paint but lacquer -- am I relegated to used lacquer paints if I want to use Tamiya accent color? Even the pour type markers, of which I have a few colors, require some kind of thinner to remove the blotches.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Tamiya accents are indeed enamel - I was using Testors 1148 thinner, which I believe is an enamel thinner. I'll look into some lighter fluid, I guess.

Could the problem be that my topcoat was Mr. Topcoat which is acrylic instead of enamel, so the thinner just ate its way down?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Due to laziness these parts have been clear coated for well over a month and I was just now getting started on my project again. I might not have put enough on.

Since I do have an airbrush I've been considering future floor but I've heard it takes some finesse?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Huh. I've always been superstitious that in my naivete I'd ruin the inside of my airbrush with the stuff, somehow, but I might as well try.

Guess I'll pick some of that up to finish the clear coating and also grab some zippo to be safe. Nothing feels worse than stripping paint off a part.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Unfortunately for me there aren't any lacquers available nearby, I've really only got a selection between Testors enamels and Vallejo acrylics. I could always buy Tamiya online but it seems fairly expensive and hard to find a place with good stock. Plus, I live in an apartment that is fairly small, so acrylics mean I don't have to tangle with using a fancy mask (I still use a basic mask with acrylics to be safe) and then airing out the place.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

I live in a small apartment, is it cool to airbrush indoors? Like by my window or something?

Fwiw, I live in a two room apartment and I use a booth with a fan and a mask and so far it's been okay. But I use acrylics. So anything other than that might not be worth the hassle.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah I've got one of those $70-80 booth + fan + filter you can get on Amazon. Very nice imo

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Seconded, I was just talking about Bolt Gundam to a friend the other day. Love that design.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Glad to see it beat Barbatos. I've always liked the look of the G-Self.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Build Divers is either going to be really good or bad for me. Good because anything Build Fighters related makes me want to build and try kitbashing and tackle my backlog.

Bad because it's just going to make my backlog bigger.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Diabetes Forecast posted:

The team element is literally what killed Build Fighters Try, so that just makes me immediately wary of the show.

First episode already has me really cautious. The team play was okay but I'm worried about how the world is set up.

Regardless the suits are, as always, cool. So it doesn't matter a whole lot

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Build Divers and Gunpla Battle in general makes me wish that they'd create a tabletop battle system so I can really like out my SET YOUR GP BASE fantasy.

There's a battle system on reddit but I'd like something official and sanctioned. Would really get me going with custom builds.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'm just glad to see AGE kits being visited for customs. So far not a huge fan of the Champs suit because it's just a bunch of funnels and blades but my favorite mobile suit is AGE-1 normal so fingers crossed.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

Yes, but... God Hand.

I swear by them, it's an investment but they feel fuckin' amazing. You can't go back after your first time.

Seconding. God hand is amazing. Barely even need to shave and sand my nubs when I use them and they cut so smooth.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The uniting factor for me is no matter how bad a show may get at least the robot designs can be good. AGE-1 is my favorite suit and I quite liked the run of AGE with it in it but then the show disintegrated. But it still gave me Dark Hound.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
"ATTENTION: This is not Gunpla" got me pretty good

Ah yes my favorite MS is KELLOG-115X Gundam CORN SNACK

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

GENTLEMEN
BEHOLD!

Could it be - Superior Robot Fighter SUPERIOR Superior Robot Fighter SUPERIOR (3+ Years)?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Is there a good resource or keyword for the add-on item or weapon kits that keep getting produced? A lot of hobby sites have them mixed in with the general section so they can be hard to suss out.

Stuff like this, but they're not always for Build Fighters, I recall IBO had a few and there are likely some before that. Seems like there's a large collection under "Builders Parts" but that doesn't cover everything, especially the new stuff.

Looks like Kotobukiya makes similar kits for Frame Arms - are those 1/144 scale or thereabouts?

Zodack fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 30, 2018

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

1/144 means that the "real" (fictional) thing is supposed to be 144 times bigger than the model. It doesn't imply a standard size for a model and is useless to know unless you are comparing things of the same series or you know how big the "real" thing is supposed to be.

Yeah I'm aware, I worded that poorly. What I meant was if the Frame Arm kits would be a size that makes them appear to be a 1/144 Gundam weapon or accessory.

Frame Arms kits are a bit smaller than standard gundam Master Grade kits, if that explains things well enough. they also range from sorta small to rediculously fat, much like the Master Grade line does. your mileage may vary, basically.

It doesn't help that their stuff ranges from decently sized to ridiculously huge (I'm looking at you, cross-shaped pile bunker)

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I use God hands and then shave the excess down slowly until it's flush with the piece. Never had any luck sanding and if you're patient, I think shaving with an xacto has good returns

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
We all have to appear every time it is brought up but yes, Godhands are worth the money and are amazing. I thought it was a bit steep until I started using them. I basically have no nub marks and minimal sanding now.

On that note I finally finished my first totally painted (airbrush) kit the other day. I feel like I learned a lot and it is far from perfect but I am happy with how it turned out. Sans yellow parts on lance, I still am not too sure how to do fiddly curved masking like that. Panel lining feels a bit smudged too as I am still getting the hang of cleaning it with lighter fluid in a q-tip (it's the Tamiya enamel stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

StabMasterArson posted:

This looks awesome, making me want an airbrush.
Just finished this marshmellow man:

Thanks! So far I have no idea what I'm doing and the parts to that sat around for the better part of a year because I was too unmotivated to finish it, but when the painting part worked, it worked well. Still a lot to learn.

Nice panel lining on your legs, I always have trouble with recesses and solid lines.