Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Oh, of course there's a gunpla thread.

I was gifted a HGAC #174 XXXG-0W00 Wing Gundam Zero which I had fun with. So I got off my rear end and built my old Gradius IV and V Vic Viper kits, which were also fun, and about the same difficulty level.

Then I said "screw it" and skipped all the way to this.

Just need to put the stickers on it and combine all the parts before it's worth a photo.

Gonna try and track down the RX-78 PG Unleashed next. :toot:

Edit Edit: oh, i see we're talking about RG GGG just a few posts up, lmao. I guess I need Goldymarg too, he's nothing without his hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i would like to re buy a hasegawa virtual on kit i gave up on and got rid of years ago, but water slides are the enemy

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Took longer than I expected not counting the emergency super glue run I needed, but DrillGao!

No, glue required!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

nthing the wire head on the GGG kit being mad fiddly.

also the engines look like this?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

whoops i accidentally ordered the PG rx-78 and a set of panel markers.

gonna practice on the HG, but whats the worst that could happen

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Moai Ou posted:

I still have to build the Driver, but I'm effectively done with the RG GaoGaiGar.

All the individual parts are solid, but there's a few frustrating parts about the Final Fusion. The mane parts that plug in from the Jet Gao are a pain to line up and even harder to keep in place. The fingers also love to pop out any time you try to pose them. I've had that problem with similar hands with other kits, but these are the worst. The joints are way too tight and the base sockets are too weak for that kind of resistance.

The biggest problem though is the helmet. For one, the back half loves to separate from the front. The joint piece has no lock nubs on either end, so it tends to separate when closing it up. The bigger problem is the faceplate. It will pop off with little to no effort. The tab and slots just aren't deep enough for a solid connection. I may just end up gluing it.

The easiest way I've found to attach it is to remove the helmet from the wired part and then close it around GaiGar's head. Then attach it to the jet, then attach the mask that has surely fallen off.

Other than those caveats, it's a great kit. The legs lock in very stably to the DrillGao legs and the treads for the DrillGao haven't separated at all, unlike say, the MG Guntank.

I ran into the same issues with he hands and faceplate.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I cannot for the life of me figure out wher sticker 37 is supposed to go on these legs/drill gao piece for GGG. Anyone put that one on yet? tiny blue circular sticker for both legs?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Skrillmub posted:

In drill form, facing in the same direction as the drills, there are a sort of headlight extrusions on each side. They each have two spots for the blue stickers.
In leg form they end up pointing straight up, at the top part of the drill legs.

Edit: oh, THERE they go. The picture could have made the orientation clearer.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 19, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

My buddy in Vegas got me something called

"The Gundam Base Limited V Gundam (Titanium Finish)"

That's good, right? :smug:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Buck Wildman posted:

that's the original rex model right, I'm working on the black version I'll post photos when I'm done ofc

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Oh yeah I see that now my bad. Oh well! I always wanted a rex kit but if they're janky then I'll probably pass.

Has anyone built the square enix nier flight units?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Good call. I'll try to be extra careful to minimize sanding if any. Ideally an rg will do a lot of under gate to minimize it

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

All GaoMachines done

gently caress this boy's fingers

Up next is watersliding, then Final Fusion

did you buy seperate water slides? The sticker arent bad, i just do not have the dexterity or patience for slides.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

oh, my new roommate arrived today.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i hope that whoever put these tiny triangle stickers in the GGG kit dies in several house fires

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Midjack posted:

Don't even bother with those, get a liquid chrome or other shiny marker and do those details that way.

https://www.amazon.com/ZEYAR-Acrylic-Metallic-Waterproof-Ceramic/dp/B0CBLZK53M

I was considering this set, because I hate those metal stickers so much. (And I can use them on 3d print stuff)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

kacho on, indeed.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

my bounty of vegas gundams has arrived

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

hasegawa is on the shitlist

this is why i'm not going to rebuy the Virtual On kit i bounced off of when i was younger.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

yeah i paid entirely too much for the PGU rx78-2 but it looks awesome

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

who was it that got the GGG kit fully transformed? I cannot for the life of me get the red and yellow bits from the plane to stick to gaigar's face.

edit: oh my god this IS fiddly

edit edit:

quote:

"god why did i buy a combiner rg combiners are always so fiddly and never go together right i'll just-YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

alternate caption: wait your turn, RX-78-2!

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 6, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

yes I put the shield on the wrong arm. I wanted to use both. Fight me about it.

he looks cool that way and I WILL NOT HAVE MY CREATIVITY DENIED.

and i have the goldymarg kit ready to be started

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Am I insane or does the RG Goldymarg kit not use non-metallic stickers 2 and 4 by default? It's weird what they give you extras of some times.

also lmao i finally bought a chrome marker i am not playing with these tiny silver rectangles.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 11, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i asked a question in r/gunpla basically consisting of "are there any gotchas i should be aware of before i start my PGU RX-78?"

quote:

"We want to keep the sub page for user builds, if you have a question please check the Wiki first to see if has been answered, otherwise post it in Q&A Thread."

what if yall took your fanciest kit, transformed it real small, and shoved it directly up your own rear end?

(gently caress reddit)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Jackasses.

You could always try watching Adam Savages video? I'm starting my MGEX tonight, and i'm using Mecha Gaitzoku's video as my guide.

Yeah, he gets a lot of help from gunpla experts cutting etc, i didn't see anything too weird though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Skrillmub posted:

There's nothing to worry about before starting the PGU RX-78-2. It's a fantastic kit that works perfectly.
The metal sticker things on mine didn't come off the backing very well, so I had to scrape off some green stuff before putting them on. Don't know if that's universal.
It comes with sticker decals, so it might be a good idea to buy third part water slides for it.

I hate doing water slides, so I'm going to pass on that, but good to know otherwise.

meanwhile, i love my large adult son:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Man... I was in the exact same boat. But, I think I finally figured them out. My whole life I was convinced I had to soak them in water then slide them off. Now? I get them wet, then lay the sheet of paper on paper towels, and I can use tweezers to get the decals off.

I was only able to do one decal at a time. Now I can do.. dozens.

i always saw it as cutting it out, letting it float in water, and then it'd slide off naturally

but they frustrated me as a kid and i'm not sure i'm ready to love again

that said, i did all of Goldy's silver bits with a paint marker and that was loving life changing

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 12, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought I'd hate doing slides but yeah, realizing you only have to dip them for a couple seconds, then I just rest the tweezer with the slide on the plastic the sheet came in while I applied an initial bit of mark set, and in another couple seconds, it just slides off with a toothpick. I actually ended up really enjoying the process, and it's actually a bit easier to deal with than stickers because you can move them around on the model for a bit before it sets.

So what's the process then?

- cut the decal out of the sheet
- dip in water for a few seconds to soak into the water
- set onto a piece of scrap plastic
- verify the decal is moving on its backing sheet
- transfer the decal from the sheet to the model, adjust placement
- gently cotton swab the excess water out without moving the decal

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

okay so i need some mark setter and...softener?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i also need to remember that while young me had to cry and or deal if they ruined a water slide, adult me can just buy two sheets in case i screw one up.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Okay fine who should I buy slides for my Rx-78 from?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

https://www.simpmodels.com/product-page/d16-pg-unleashed-rx-78-2-gundam-1-60

These look good, Delpi seems to have a ton of possibilities though, manual style or custom style, and holo/non-holo? I'm thinking the non-holo manual style ones, holographic might be too flashy.,

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 14, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nerobro posted:

you can't topcoat over holo. Go "very normal" and buy at least two sheets.

I hadn't planned on topcoating, don't want to ruin all my work with a can of spray going bad or 'off'. But i'm still going to get two sheets of 'normal' because this is my first rodeo.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

my partner's father got me a model kit, and their style of modeling is very high quality, but very old school and a gunpla this is not

Probably try and get it together today.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

yeah i got him an army jeep for xmas. i'd like to get him a gunpla so he can get a feel for how modern stuff is done, but the guy is not what you'd call an anime fan.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Marx Headroom posted:

I wonder if he'd like those Battleship Yamato or Macross kits? Or the ED-209 as mentioned above. Those aren't extremely anime.

ed-209 was a strong contender but i want something I can buy now vs a preorder for what appears to be july?

macross might be good, i don't think he animes at all though, so battleship yamato is closest maybe.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Could always do a Star Wars kit too, like an X-Wing or Y-Wing.

I'd need a link to something like that. My experience is exclusively with bandai and bandai-like kits (PLUM's Gradius Kits)

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 15, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bandai has their own line of Star Wars model kits, they do both ships and character kits (Vader, Mando, various droids, etc).

edit: https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Star-X-Wing-Starfighter-Model/dp/B01N4PJD4T This is a quick link to an Amazon store listing, so you know what the general boxart looks like if you go hunting in stores.

i'll probably just grab him the Y-Wing, thx

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WW4FDBI

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I went with the X-Wing. she said the greeblie would be fine but we'll just start there and see how he likes it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

The kit is still eight flat sheets, but the instructions are a bit more complicated.

lousy non-euclidean decals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fin funnels more like fiddly funnels

this nu gundam is definitely going to need a base.

edit: wait i'm dumb i have an ACB-5 from the GGG kit i didn't use :toot:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 24, 2023