Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
[url="https://vtdigger.org/2022/05/19/in-chester-a-librarys-hesitation-to-host-drag-queen-story-hour-sparks-controversy/"In Chester, a library’s hesitation to host Drag Queen Story Hour sparks controversy"[/url]

Short version:
One of the drag queens posted a picture someone found inappropriate on their Insta. The picture in question? Well, let's have library trustee Robert Nied describe it for us:

quote:

Earlier this month, the trustees of the Chester Library decided to pause hosting the story hour with little explanation. At a subsequent special board of trustees meeting on Thursday, trustee Robert Nied said the board’s decision came after discovering an image on the performers’ website that “compared a naked woman to a garbage dumpster and included the suggestion that she was a vessel for bodily fluids.”

He suggested a parent or child could Google the performers and come across the image.

“It was highly inappropriate to be associated with anybody making a presentation at a children's program,” he said.

Pic in question: :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

venus de lmao posted:

on the other hand Alton Brown is an unrepentant homophobe

poo poo, really? Dang, must have missed that.

I mean. his show was already kind of problematic. There is a LOT of yellow-face, and probably some brown and red-face.

Basically, whatever region/country the food is from, get ready for Spirit Halloween costume levels of wardrobe and hair, and just the worst stereotyped accents.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

God-speed, Beetlejuice art thief.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

https://www.wcax.com/2023/08/31/burlington-police-negotiating-with-armed-robbery-suspect/

The headline ain't much to look at, but dude in the story out here living his best GTA-life:

quote:

BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) - The Burlington Police Wednesday night responded to a standoff with an armed robbery suspect near Rock Point.

Officers Wednesday morning located a suspect connected to an armed robbery last week. They say he was passed out in a car but upon waking him, he became belligerent and sped off.

Several hours later, police located him near the North Avenue Co-op, where he once again ran. Then he stole a bicycle and made his way to Appletree Bay where he stole a sailboat. The suspect ran the sailboat aground at the base of the cliffs along Rock Point and is now believed to be hiding in the trees there.

Police say they believe the suspect has a gun. As of 9 a.m. Thursday, officers were still trying to locate the suspect.

Are you a bad enough dude to steal a sailboat?

Edit:

Black is where he was initially found in a car (at least there's the spot I drove by several cop cars last night), likely stole a sailboat in the red area of the bay, and the blue area is rock point.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Aug 31, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Oh man it gets better.

So I was a little off on the timeline...the suspect wasn't caught directly from the armed robbery, it was a robbery from days ago and he and his car matched the description.

Here's a statement from tech-illiterate Boomer police chief who cant' be arsed to remove the "sent from my iPhone" signature from official police statements:

Someone nearby where he stole/crashed the boat got a video:
https://www.reddit.com/r/burlington/comments/165ya8r/the_outlaw_who_apparently_stole_this_sailboat/

And before that, one of Burlington's finest giving chase with just absolute piss-poor muzzle discipline on his gun;

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

By popular demand posted:

Now that is commitment to the bit.
If he next manages to get a helicopter I'm willing to vote him president.

Not helicopter yet, but...

Edit:
And add kayak and just plain old "swimming" to the list:

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Sep 7, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Maybe this qualifies more as "Disturbing" than weird but:
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/14/applesauce-pouches-may-have-been-contaminated-on-purpose-fda-foods-chief-says-00131797

Uhh.... :tinfoil:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

To lighten (pun intended, you'll see what I mean) the mood:

Catalina Foothills instructor...loses job over OnlyFans account

The teacher is someone (mildly) famous...see if my hint helped you guess:
Rachel Dolezal. The white woman who was head of a local NAACP chapter and (I think?) claimed she was Trans-Racial

Careful with the link at work. They show a picture from her account, and although it's blurred, you can still tell she's spreading cheek in full view of Black Santa.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Feb 15, 2024

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

i initially thought they used her photo in error because the name was different but it turned out she changed her name to something that reads as super African sounding. she is committed to the bit.

I think we can all guess when categories/tags she marketed herself as on OF.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Why would you do this to me

quote:

TUCSON, Ariz. (KVOA) — Rachel Dolezal, who now goes by Nkechi Diallo, lost her job with the Catalina Foothills School District.

Dolezal was teaching kids as an after school instructor.

Dolezal was under fire in 2014, accused of misidentifying herself as black while serving as the head of the NAACP in Spokane, Washington, before resigning amid the backlash.

She was a prominent civil rights leader and an African Studies professor in Washington State, accused of pretending to be black for personal gain.

Diallo has a public social media page where she has linked an OnlyFans page that appears to be operated by her.

Julie Farbarik, the district's director of alumni & community relations, said Wednesday in an email to News 4 Tucson:

"We only learned of Ms. Nkechi Diallo's Only Fans social media posts yesterday afternoon. Her posts are contrary to our district's "Use of Social Media by District Employees" policy (attached) and our staff ethics policy. She is no longer employed by the Catalina Foothills School District."

News 4 Tucson first broke the story on Diallo's OnlyFans page Tuesday night.

Some explicit photos are being shared on other platforms, such as Reddit. It is unclear if the photos were shared by Diallo or if they were placed there by someone else.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new..._source=twitter

"Abandoned" is an...interesting word choice.

(And probably on purpose for this reason, drive "engagement" or something. poo poo, they got me. They got me good.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

shrouroboros!

Anyone else remember the "tree octopus" website that was an early example of a "we put this fake thing online to warn you about fake things online" website?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

https://news.sportslogos.net/2024/02/28/danville-does-double-duty-dairy-daddies-debut/baseball/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

VTSU Offers Weird Al Class

quote:

LYNDON, Vt. (WCAX) - One class at Vermont State University is daring to be different by offering a music class dedicated to learning from Weird Al Yankovic.

Weird Al Yankovic is a musician and comedian mostly known for his witty parodies of popular songs. You might have heard his song “Eat It”, a parody of the Michael Jackson hit “Beat It”, or “Smells Like Nirvana,” poking fun at Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit.”
Warwick is hosting the Weird Al Yankovic course this fall. It’s a music industry and business course, inspired by Harvard offering a course on Taylor Swift.

He plans on diving into the Weird Al Universe with an analysis of what makes a good parody, how to pay tribute to another artist, strong lyricism, and even looking at the context of the world when the song was written.

“It just gives us an avenue to start studying the 20th century and pop culture in the 20th century,” said Warwick.

“I’m really excited to look at like the lyrical content and see like he just makes a song I have absolutely anything,” said VTSU Lyndon Senior Alexandra Hayes.

As students in the audio production major and musicians themselves, Haimovich and Hayes say they’re excited to learn about the writing, production, and thought that goes into Weird Al’s work that resonates with so many.

“It’s really impressive to me that he can take these take these big productions that costs so much money to make and, and yeah, make these make these parodies and make them sound like parodies while really keeping the integrity of the song,” said Haimovich.

The class will start in the fall, and you don’t have to be enrolled in VTSU to take it - you can just sign up.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

check out german organized crime: they put gasoline in the riesling. piesporter on fire

I heard a story about a French chateau that got caught putting antifreeze in the wine.

The whole case was blown wide open by a little American boy who was over there as part of an exchange program.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Trey Anastasio is going to get attacked by a bunch of jelly-fish imagined up by Mike Gordon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

No one tell them what happened to Ziggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Town of Plattsburgh holds annual Michigan Month T-shirt design contest

Before you get confused on why a town in northern NY has a month dedicated to a state that's 600 miles away...don't worry, the actual answer is only slightly less confusing.

A Michigan is a style of Hot Dog. It's similar to a Coney Dog which is served in...Michigan. I assume that's where the name came from, at any rate.