Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Don't listen to them, this is super common. like leading cause of death for people who post regular on internet forums, that's one of the initial symptoms. Just typing away, about to hit post, then suddenly feel a sneeze coming on, BAM!!!! liters of blood out the nose and mouth!!!!

Well, there are a lot of these people going around the world all the time, and very seldom does anything like this happen … I just don’t want people thinking that throats aren’t safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Yep, it's called superfecundation. Humans can do it to but it's very rare.

In theory this opens the possibility of a single person having two different fathers. Very occasionally fertilised ova will merge together again while still in the very early stages of development. If this is too late in the development process then you get conjoined twins, but if it's very very early then you can get a person with absolutely normal anatomy except that some parts of them have different DNA than other parts of them. Normally the two parts are regular fraternal twins, but in theory they could have two different fathers.

(the two fathers would probably need to be closely related themselves to prevent the foetus dying of autoimmune issues as soon as it gets a circulatory system)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I remember some quote from Keith Richards saying you only really needed one line of coke per day (or perhaps per party, I don't remember) and more than that would just build up tolerance and make the cocaine less effective. Which seems like an unusually abstemious for him but of course he bought all his own drugs uncut and in bulk so he was probably using much better cocaine than the hoi polloi.

Presumably you can titrate from there e.g. "the cocaine I got tests as 18% pure, so I will need 5 1/2 lines.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mescal posted:

that's not titrating that's math

You have to titrate the cocaine to determine the purity.
Not sure what to titrate against. IIRC cocaine is soluble in water and most adulterants aren’t so you could do a hot water wash then titrate the filtrate against potassium permanganate or something?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Titration is a chemistry procedure where you determine how concentrated a solution is by putting a precisely measured amount of it into a flask, adding a second chemical to it from a burette until the reaction between the two stops, then reading the burette to see how much chemical-2 you added. Usually you design the process so that there is a visible colour change when chemical-1 is depleted and free chemical-2 begins to appear in the flask.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, they shoulda been making giant sheeps for the sake of making giant sheeps, not hunting trophies

I would accept it if they'd engineered them to the point that the hunters only had even odds.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A criminal magician is also known as a rogue wizard.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just one? For the entire moon?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FFT posted:

How many would you propose when a day lasts about a month?

One per hour or so, so about 700?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

butt dickus posted:

what are you saying "why" to? americans are familiar with euthanizing horses from watching tv so it's not hard to imagine the kind of person who brings a gun to the beach seeing a stranded dolphin and thinking "oh this poor animal is suffering, good thing i'm strapped." bullets don't make it too far in water and dolphins are really heavy so it would have almost certainly been on land when they shot it

What if the shooter was also in the water? And was a dolphin?