Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Don't let the robot arm controlled by node.js stick things anywhere. Some webshit will have forgotten to === instead of == and it'll push that test thing through your skull instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Who wouldn't? :black101:

Also, relevant music: https://fvneralfvkk.bandcamp.com/track/the-hallowed-leech

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Alaois posted:

ROU Overworked At The Racism Factory

:hmmyes:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The author's name is Jean Auel but in Finland the translations were published under the name Jean M. Untinen-Auel for marketing purposes, and the loving Finnish Wikipedia article on her is under that name. I'm sure I could start a war by correcting it.

Do it, you could immediately post it to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Lamest_edit_wars.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

By popular demand posted:

(they probably inflate with some vigorous manipulation)

Äktschually, they typically inflate on their own once they are thoroughly soaked :eng101:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Ah, that explains

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Quick reminder that mail attachments bloat up by ~30% due to how mail encoding works, and get duplicated into every recipient's mailbox.

Please use a real document sharing solution or I'm configuring our mail server to reject all html mails. When HR complains their colourful mails set in papyrus look plain, I'm blaming you for forcing my hand.

Mail server administration is hell :shepicide:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Y'all need some proper Döner.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
That is an extremely New Yorker thing to publish.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I'm not going to look at the source, but you can detect objects by the way they change the acoustic properties of the room. It wouldn't be a stretch to think you can track an object as well. The object doesn't have to emit any sound for this to work, ambient noise is enough.

And if there's a species (beside bats) that I will believe can use this principle, it's cats.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I managed to sneak up on our sleeping cat once and experienced a level 4 surprised cat. I'd prefer to never experience that again, because it hurt. A lot.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Tbh., considering the normal ethical problems surrogacy usually runs into, having your mother have the child is probably the least weird. At least I presume no money is exchanging hands there…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Five injured during a Fight Of The Ice Cream Vendors in Wuppertal

Wuppertal. Ice cream cart vendors attacked each other with iron bars and chains on Saturday in front of the Wuppertal zoo. The five men were no longer fit to be questioned after the heavy brawl in front of children.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

1. I've always found 'Wuppertal' an insanely hilarious city name. Do native speakers of German also find that it sounds funny?

"Wupper" is just an inherently funny word imo.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

quote:

Strafgesetzbuch (StGB)
§ 216 Tötung auf Verlangen
(1) Ist jemand durch das ausdrückliche und ernstliche Verlangen des Getöteten zur Tötung bestimmt worden, so ist auf Freiheitsstrafe von sechs Monaten bis zu fünf Jahren zu erkennen.
(2) Der Versuch ist strafbar.

quote:

Criminal Code (StGB)
§ Section 216 Killing on demand
(1) If a person has been determined to kill by the express and serious request of the person killed, a custodial sentence of six months to five years shall be imposed.
(2) The attempt is punishable.

Aktive Sterbehilfe is illegal.

Assisting someone's suicide isn't illegal, but there are no clinics where they give you a loaded gun to kill yourself with.

Relatedly, never trust anything the spectator reports.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

quote:

Removal from civil service for denial of the existence of the Federal Republic of Germany

A civil servant who denies the existence of the Federal Republic of Germany by consistently stating "Kingdom of Bavaria" instead of "Federal Republic of Germany" in an application for a citizenship card seriously violates his or her duty of loyalty to the constitution and may therefore be removed from civil service by disciplinary action. This was decided today by the Federal Administrative Court in Leipzig.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
A dry christmas tree is an absolutely scary fire hazard. Back when my family still bought christmas trees they'd put a bucket of water next to them, but if you've seen how they light up you know how laughably inadequate that is.

If you aren't standing next to it when it catches fire you aren't going to put it out.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

freeedr posted:

Why the hell are they acting like flu and covid at the same time is new? Flu is eternal. We have been seeing them together for the entire pandemic. My brother has flu and covid literally right now.

It's actually kind of rare because NPIs aimed at nu-SARS have destroyed a lot of flu incidence. :eng101:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

freeedr posted:

It isn’t though. It’s constantly happening because the same people who don’t take precautions are at higher risk for both.

Oh, right. Makes sense.

Is there international variance? I distinctly remember listening to the podcast with Drosten (one of Germany's lead coronavirus experts) and he mentioned that the common flu was down a lot. And I just looked at the stats of respiratory illnesses:

I wonder if there's data available showing the behaviour of people who get both/either.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Hey, remember Mr. Max Titer?

Turns out he was the Mann aus Sachsen:

German man got COVID jab 87 times

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Should make a chair next.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Tourists getting bullied by Birds never gets old. Over here, they steal Fischbrötchen from tourists who don't know how to guard against avian bullying.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

quote:

Threats and violence occurred at a youth football match at the weekend. The incident took place at noon on Saturday during a C-youth match at the George Floyd sports field in the Post Stadium, as reported by Bild am Sonntag. The 47-year-old father of a player of the Berliner Athletik Klub 07 e. V. (BAK) allegedly ran onto the pitch. According to the report, he then attacked a 14-year-old player of 1. SC Staaken.

This was allegedly triggered by the boy kicking the player, who had apparently been fouled beforehand. Video recordings would at least prove this, it was said. According to witnesses, the father of the kicked player went berserk. He forcibly pulled the 14-year-old to the ground and even choked him. According to the police, he then pulled out a knife and threatened other fathers who rushed to help. The armed man shouted "I'm going to stab you".

Some context: Several playing fields in Berlin had their names changed away from such imaginative names as "sand field" to the names of victims of racist and extremist violence, like Hatun Sürücü, Hermann Horwitz, Mete Ekşi… and George Floyd.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Aspirational.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The baltic has been getting hosed for ages, not just by global warming, but by rivers carrying too many nutrients (mostly from agriculture) leading to heavy algae blooms.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

And by military dumping

Sure, that too. If you ever visit a Baltic beach: That's not amber you found, and please don't put it in your pocket.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I should petition to the Unicode consortium to introduce special heavy duty scare quotes to put around ❠AI❞.

Just about anything marketed as «AI» has no 'I' in it and the ‹A› is just a big dataset of badly categorised data being fed through a statistical model. It's bias laundering for assholes, a way to obscure assumptions and intentions and turn them into infallible black boxes that can no longer be questioned or interrogated.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Lies. Lies and slander.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I'm understanding "quiet quitting" correctly that it's just "people fulfil the terms of their contract", right?

Because if that's the gist… well, *laughs in German*.

My work contract is several hundred pages long (though large sections don't apply to me). It's nice to have everything in Ordnung.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
We're getting faster
harder
scooter

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I'd rate Youtube commenters as far more eloquent, capable of holding a thought for more then two sentences, and as generally more erudite than Twitter's user base.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The FT hasn't painted a flattering image of Brexit, but this opinion piece is just hilarious.

quote:

Barack Obama famously said “don’t do stupid stuff”. (Actually, he said something even stronger.) This is always good advice. It is particularly good advice for today’s UK. It would be wonderful if it could start doing sensible stuff. But one must keep one’s hopes in check. It should, however, surely be possible to stop doing really stupid stuff.

[...]

I have little hope that this government will do anything much positive before the next general election, particularly in the midst of an energy and inflation crisis. But it is not too much to ask it to stop doing stupid things. So, do not consider regulatory changes unless they will clearly be for the better. Do not promise control over migration you cannot deliver. Do not stick to the option of divergence on food standards, which makes resolving the issue of Northern Ireland so intractable. But do try hard to preserve the ability of our scientists to co-operate closely with their European peers. And, not least, do stop the endless barking by the British bulldog.

Tackling big problems may now be impossible. But, even though the government is now in a deep hole, it can at least stop digging it deeper.

"Please stop being stupid, I beg you" on the front page of the FT? :discourse:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Perestroika posted:

Also, while looking it up I learned that there are a lot of absolute weirdos selling reproductions of loser Nazi batons for stupid amounts of money. :chloe:

"Heritage not hate" people flock to Nazi reproductions as well.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Twirling parasitic worms throw dance party in man’s scrotum

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Does the Bing Bot have Archive access on SA?

Just wondering.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Silence of the woods
Myth dispelled – Trees in the woods are neither talkative nor social

Trees are busy chatting below the ground. They warn and protect each other. That sounds nice, but is not supported by science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!