Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Man don't be using Onion headlines! That's cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm still not quite sure I understand, the image says that adblocking is bad?
It's a screenshot of an article about why adblocking is bad.

With most of the screen covered in ads.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cumslut1895 posted:

It's things like this that make the idea of an asteroid wiping out humanity not that bad.
Don't just sit around waiting for an asteroid. Get out there and DO something about it!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tobermory posted:

The composition makes some questionable choices too:

It looks like they drew the panel, then put the dialogue over it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fathis Munk posted:

Ah I see, à number of articles seemed to imply they were real big.
I think they're big by crayfish standards.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Yeah how could it not be?

You mean the only national chain in the entire category beat out that one hole in the wall place in my small town with the killer tacos!?
I believe there were only six options in the poll, and they were all major chains.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Bloop posted:

My point is that there are no other national chains

unless you count Chili's as Mexican or some poo poo
The full list of possibilities was Taco Bell, Chipotle, Moe's Southwest Grill, Qdoba, Baja Fresh, and Del Taco.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah the same people who talk about judeo-Christian values are usually also the ones who love Sam Harris and Hitchens and Dawkins and are rabidly atheist. They just don’t really have any morality or ethical beliefs beyond being angry and miserable

Even the ones who are actually Christian are acting off the same instincts and just as hypocritical so the difference is basically nil regardless
I've never seen "judeo-christian" actually used to refer to jewish stuff, at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clam Chowdown posted:

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.

Give a man a grenade and he can rob a Taco Bell and eat for 2, maybe 3 days.
I don't think he was robbing it. Just "Hey dudes look what I found fishing" "HOLY gently caress"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

There is a great memoir by someone who worked at Alcor in the early days that suggests their quality control is not all that clients might hope for.

Actually, there are two: Freezing People Is (Not) Easy, by Bob Nelson, and Frozen: A True Story, by Larry Johnson. I’m pretty sure it was Johnson’s book that tells the story of baseball legend Ted Williams’s head being balanced on a tuna can, and Nelson’s book that tells the story of the dewars (big glass jugs) that cracked and had all the nitrogen boil out, but it’s been a while since I read them and could be misremembering.

Edit to add: it is Johnson with the tuna can allegations, as discussed by ESPN here. Both of these books are good reading if you like train wrecks.

To the below, a lot of the cryonics gang are atheists. A surprising number are obscure science fiction writers. Charles Platt, for example, is a tireless cryonics apologist all over the Internet.
I saw an article somewhere claiming that, yeah, they frequently don't even not gently caress up the primitive and probably grossly inadequate techniques we have right now. During the initial freezing stage, that is.

Ah, here it is: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/everybody-freeze-pein

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I believe this is the largest mass murder in post-WWII Japan.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I am unreasonably amused by the phrase "Alexandria Library of Hentai."
... It's... I've always, before today, seen it as "Library of Alexandria" :psyduck:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/stephaniekays/status/1156744820007809024

This is some hosed up poo poo. Also look at the list of scientists who have been involved with him. Hawking, Gould, Sacks, Krauss (already known creep), Gell-Mann, Wilczel...
one of the scientists listed as palling around with him in 2008 died in 2002, though

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

cinni posted:

Since we all know dailymail is a beacon of truth and knowledge, lets see what the kids these days are calling drugs (according to a DEA report apparently)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7313249/Would-smoke-Chandelier-snort-Big-Bird-DEA-reveals-huge-Z-list-drug-slang-words.html

:words:

Chocolate Balls.... straight into my veins!!

Where's Gleaming the Cube?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

This isn't loading for some reason, what the hell is "conducted energy weapon"?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Pandas are the perfect example of how evolution doesn't create "the best creature." Whatever survives best in that specific environment is what evolves, even if it's total bullshit.
Technically, not even that! There could be a set of adaptations that are, in fact, better for the species but partway between their current state and the better state is worse, so any random mutations which move them in the direction of the better thing don't help now, and in fact make it worse. So evolution won't make it cross the "Fitness Valley", even if getting to the other side would be better.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

By popular demand posted:

What a disrespectful way to refer to a rock n roll royalty.
We'll never see his like again.
The incredible disrespect of calling him a rock and roll "shouter" is amazing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evilreaver posted:

That's murphy's law right there, the best way to get the right answer on the internet isn't to ask a question, it's to give bad information and someone will correct you :eng101:
No, no, that's godwin's law, not murphy's. :eng101:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

no, it doesnt.

i get youre saying that its the same sentiment & i agree, but that flag is mask off. theyre not even trying to couch it with the "white lives matter" dog whistle, theyre full-on nazis but still the headline is toning it down to "both sides". thats insult to injury imo
Yeah that banner is just straight up a death threat against every black person in sight.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Why are you counting the cops twice?
Clearly you need a number of good guys equal to the non-cop bad guys, plus twice as many as the number of cops.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

a kitten posted:

Hotbot all the way
:hf:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Note to self: if I catch something terminal, sneak into an out of order elevator and take a bunch of sleeping pills

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SubNat posted:

Honestly it just seems like the same thing that happens in nearly every language.
A couple older people whine and gripe about how their language which has always changed and evolved and grabbed loanwords should stop doing that immediately.
It's the kind of thing that comes up in articles every now and then, and will keep on cropping up forever, just as it has been cropping up for ages in the past.
Most languages do not have an official government department for putting that collar on though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Radio Paranoia posted:

Imagine trying to explain this to your insurance.
"A box fell off of a trailer and hit my car."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sumptuary Laws 2: The Return Of Sumptuary laws

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pookah posted:

So there's no standardised, certifiable cleaning process, just maybe some pictures of a stockpot full of buttplugs?
They're not even cleaning them themselves?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Splicer posted:

...define "alternative"
"can start converting co2 into o2 and otehrwise filtering the air much faster than it takes a tree to grow"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So what does "restoration of power-sharing" mean here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Don't listen to them, this is super common. like leading cause of death for people who post regular on internet forums, that's one of the initial symptoms. Just typing away, about to hit post, then suddenly feel a sneeze coming on, BAM!!!! liters of blood out the nose and mouth!!!!
:shrug: gotta die sometime