Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

I'm having a hard time understanding why people are bagging on the dude who's being chill and talking about his beliefs. It's not like he's trying to convert you or something, and he's pretty clearly stated that if you want to know more, you should check out the thread that's explicitly for talking about this stuff. I mean, I get it that a lot of people don't like religion, especially Christianity these days, but why would you even ask someone about their beliefs if all you're going to do is try to poke holes in it. IDGI.

Oh, and rock on, Azathoth. Elder God solidarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

We are endless. Join us. :cthulhu:

Azathoth Prime has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Jan 19, 2019

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

SubNat posted:

The very rapid freezing from liquid nitrogen makes it so that the water-ice crystals form as multiple smaller crystals, instead of larger ones that rip the cells apart as they freeze.
If this matters at all is purely hypothetical until we can actually revive people. I suspect the technology will demand complex pre treatment before freezing \ while dying, when it eventually exists.

As it is right now it's just a huge scam, though I imagine for the people dying, it might be more of a 'what do I have to lose?' proposition.

And starting the process before you die means there's a good chance that the process itself would kill you. Which is problematic, legally.

Azathoth Prime has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Jun 12, 2019

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

There is a great memoir by someone who worked at Alcor in the early days that suggests their quality control is not all that clients might hope for.

I get the feeling that these places are just above the "Rapture Pet Insurance" companies. They only hire atheists, and you pay them to take care of your pets once the Rapture whisks you away. Seems like the perfect scam.

e: the rapture insurance companies only hire atheists. I have no idea about the hiring policies of the frozen head companies.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Killing the chicken to scare the monkeys.

E: That kind of law enforcement, fear of disproportionate unmotivated violence, was considered barbaric during the Enlightenment, 300 loving years ago. How did we get here? Why do we accept it?

Ee: wait, dumb question. Boomers.

Yep. I just (like literally 5 minutes ago) got in a heated "discussion" with a Boomer here at work who was spouting off about how if someone tries to steal your purse, it should be legal to just pull out a gun and execute them. Was trying hard to stay out of it, but then he turned to me and was like "Am I right?" and wouldn't stop boomering about it until I told him how I really feel.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I really hope this will lead to "dumb" televisions coming back.

Dumb TVs are never coming back. They subsidize the cost of the components by selling the data they gather from spying on you. CEO of Visio openly acknowledged this when asked about it.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

And among the reasons you might get bitten, according to that article?

Mating Season

Iguanas have a breeding season and it's not uncommon your pet is going to try and mate with you. This means that a male iguana will take a bite as it would a female. While this is not a dangerous bite, an iguana may hold onto until he is finished.

Pushing him away will make him aggressive and encourage him to bite harder.

So... lie back and think of England? :stare:

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Also don’t you walk over something wet first so your feet are wet?

Maybe? The Leidenfrost effect will let you dip a wet hand (very briefly) into molten lead without injury, but the time and heat scales are very different from walking on coals.

If you're counting on ash as insulation, I'd think you'd want dry feet.

edit:

Wikipedia posted:

Wet feet can cause embers to cling to them, increasing the exposure time.

Azathoth Prime has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jun 15, 2022

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

You can walk over hot coals without burning yourself as long as your feet are wet due to the Leidenfrost effect but you really have to do it just right. If not, it goes exactly like you see here.

According to this article https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cocktail-party-physics/come-firewalk-with-me-the-physics-of-hot-coals/

Scientific American posted:

It's critical that the coals be allowed to burn down sufficiently so that they are at a relatively comfy 538 degrees Celsius or so (1000 degrees Fahrenheit), preferably with a thin layer of ash over them providing a bit of extra insulation.

This process also burns off any excess water content in the coals; any remaining water would increase both the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the coals. It's equally critical to make sure no bits of metal have found their way into the coals, because metal has very high thermal conductivity.

Perhaps David and the Robbins acolytes could have further lessened the risk of injury by dampening their feet beforehandm gaining some protective benefit from the so-called "Leidenfrost" effect, in which a thin layer of sweat or water instantly forms an insulating boundary layer of steam when exposed to intense heat. However, per Willey, this probably isn't a major factor.

For one thing, it carries an added risk of coals sticking to your feet as you walk -- increasing exposure time and therefore causing the soles to burn more than if you just crossed with dry feet. (Willey prefers firewalking with dry feet, and also places a water-soaked carpet remnant at the end of the walk for immediate cooling.)

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Congrats to whoever named that team for getting their fetish out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

Diluting olive oil and selling it as a better quality than it is seems like a crime that would have started about ten minutes after people started selling olive oil

There’s an Ea-Nasir of olive oil out there somewhere, waiting to be discovered.