Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

webmeister posted:

The stupidest part for me was that this all-seeing, all-knowing company had it's two biggest threats working RIGHT THERE IN THE LOBBY and USING THEIR REAL NAMES :ughh:

Hey wow it's Shaun the sarcastic coffee guy, haven't I seen you somewhere before?

Yeah, I did think that was a little weird, but it seemed like for the most part, the building itself was mostly host to a lot of people who had no idea about the whole Templar thing. Even the CFO was completely clueless, which is why later in the game he gets taken out back at a conference and shot.

... Which, of course, adds an entirely new level of contrivance because why wouldn't you just fire his rear end and replace him with someone you can actually control instead of abducting him, but whatev'. As long as the modern day poo poo means that Ubisoft will eventually develop an Assassins Creed title that discards the historical pretense and lets me gently caress around in a major city and its outlying suburbs, I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Haha, that's even sillier than the silliest Japanese cross-promotion I have ever seen. (warning: anime as hell)

I was really disappointed when this wasn't something stupid like Magical Girl Assassin Robes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
In rear end 3 during the Brazil level, the event flag for the scene where the hitman shows up and kills the chick with the battery core never got thrown. I spent the next thirty minutes looking around for where the hell he was supposed to be while NPCs ran around screaming as if the scene had happened.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lothire posted:

Story-wise Rogue will be dealing with stuff between AC3->4, where Unity is the proper next step in the story. If that means anything to you.

But Unity has no naval combat, where Rogue will

Oh, too bad! They could've taken advantage of the co-op aspect and gone old-school multiplayer where one guy pilots, and everyone else mans the guns. Then again, while I'm not too familiar with the French Revolution era aside from Dickens, I kinda get the impression that there wasn't a lot of naval combat involved.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hakkesshu posted:

Unity is not 30fps though

They realized at the last minute that they had to drop a few FPS to make some space for Far Cry 4

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

rizuhbull posted:

Only got one two years ago

Dogg, in the world of computing, you're lucky if the GPU you bought two months ago isn't outdated.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

AC4 literally says that Ubisoft is one of Abstergo's partners.

Oh, so Unity's release is kinda just a metaphysical extension of AC4 where you're playing the role of an Abstergo debugger except for real :aaaaa:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pengun101 posted:

I always took lee as a brown noising toadie who was respectful and jovial with his friends and betters inside the templars, but treated anyone outside the super secret club as a piece of poo poo or a disposable asset. also lee in real life was a dirty unkempt motherfucker who had packs of his dogs following behind him constantly.

Yeah, my take on Lee was that even in the Templar sequences, he's a Grade A bastard who'll do what's necessary to get the job done and serve his own ends. He was never a nice guy and he's portrayed at all times as the backstabbey kind of person who puts on an air of congeniality and probably tells himself that he's Totally A Nice Guy every night before he goes to bed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aphrodite posted:

Kind of like how people will insist the Japanese VO is better in everything.
To be fair, most Japanese VO is better than English voice acting. Part of this is probably because of poor communication between overseas departments over details of how lines should be delivered, and part of is that English voice directors seem to never give a gently caress.

Comparing VO kinda depends on how well you understand the language they're speaking in, too. I played The Witcher in Polish and I was like "yeah this is fine!" but I'm sure a native speaker would think I'm a dumbass for saying so. I got a pretty good Japanese language education in my weeb days, though, so I can compare the small poo poo they do in the Japanese language tracks to the stuff they skip entirely in English and say yeah, the English localizations tend to suck a lot of flavor out in favor of (thanks to the aforementioned poor directing) weird, emotionless grunts and poo poo.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 18, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

macnbc posted:

Honestly the furthest forward they could probably go and still have it feel like an AC game is World War I.

If they built the mission sections of a modern AC game as a stealth/pistol run of Alpha Protocol with some quality-of-life improvements and parkour, I could dig it.

Of course, while I'm at it, I also want a million pounds of dank weed

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NeoSeeker posted:

How about a prohibition AC?

"Now, t'ain't nothin' is forbidden, an' y'all can do pretty much whatever y'like. Pass me that shine, Wee'um."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I just started playing Unity, but while the frame rate is more or less okay, the game keeps "skipping" every few seconds regardless of what's happening on-screen: it hangs whether I'm in cutscenes, walking around, or even just in menus, so that last one makes me think it's not a hardware issue on my end. I have a GTX770 if that helps.

I ran a search on it last night, but all I got was reviewers complaining about how it wasn't optimized and people on forums cussing a lot. One of my hits had something about one of the settings (SSAO?) causing it, but the text wasn't in the link when I clicked on it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Klades posted:

I would be down with them going for the "assassins should be sneaky and not death dealing whirlwinds of steel" route if sneaking around was anywhere near as fun, engaging, and loving functional as it is in a number of other games like the Arkham series, the most recent Splinter Cell, and even that 2D stealth game Mark of the Ninja.

I dunno, one of my favorite parts of Black Flag was dropping poison darts on the assassination targets while staying in stealth and then waiting for the game to congratulate me for killing him with a flying leap without being detected. There's something to be said for its stealth side, but I guess my experience isn't really the one they intended.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I picked up a 6GB patch the other day and now the only thing keeping the game from running smoothly is my GPU, all the stuttering is gone. I only finished chapter 2, but I'm digging it so far. I'm just a sucker for these parkourey games and jumping down and assassinating guards, I don't really care if the story is dumb or what.

I also applied to LGSA as twdragon (I think). Wanna get those costumes :downs:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

julian assflange posted:

My Arno freezes after I access Uplay mid game and then come back. The world keeps going but no buttons work on the pad. Most odd.

It's a dumb bug, but I think it happened to me last night. If we ran into the same problem, you can still bring up the world map and fast travel, after which you'll be able to move normally.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Gonna need to assassinate people by car in the next one.

Drive-by air assassinations give you 250 assassin rank points. The one where you hide in parked cars like bales of hay only gives a paltry 50, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Also remember to post in the thread so we know you're applying to LGSA. Otherwise I'm just gonna keep telling this gogobot motherfucker to eat a dick.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ahdinko posted:

Runs pretty good on my I5-3570k and Nvidia 970. The only thing I can complain about is that it will freeze for about 10 seconds every half hour.

That freeze sounds like a GPU crashing error, I don't run into it at all. My GTX770 runs smoothly enough--probably in the 30-40fps range with reasonably high settings and no Vsync--but slows down a little after about sixty to ninety minutes when my graphics card starts to get too hot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I dunno, I've done my fair share of running around in south Paris, plus a couple multiplayer missions too. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Speaking of NPCs, I dunno if this is a bug or what, but I noticed the weirdest thing last night: the priests in red (Cardinals?) seem to all be super-low res for me. All the other NPCs are normal and fine, but those specific guys are PS2-level quality with their darkened eye areas, blocky heads, and mitten hands.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So are the Nostradamus Engimas supposed to be this impossible and dumb, or am I just being impossibly stupid?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Which ones are you having issues with.

I just said gently caress it and started using walkthroughs after the second one I did (it took me twenty minutes of aimlessly wandering around Palais du Justice until I found that stupid clock face), but seriously I don't want to need to use Wikipedia to find out where the Street of Whores is and poo poo. I'm not trying to get my new detective rank in Carmen Sandiego, I just wanna jump off roofs and shank some motherfuckers.

I like the puzzles after you get the Nostradamus fragments because they kinda remind me of the glyph poo poo in AC2, but the whole "easter egg hunt" part I could do without.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 12, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Grimace posted:

That's one thing they really did get right. I love all of the robe fashions.
I need robes with longer tails. The phantom coat is cool, but I'm not a fan of the lapels. The prowler is much more reserved and thereby much more my style, but it's too leather. The musketeer one is perfect... except it doesn't have the iconic jacket physics that I love.

Basically what I'm saying is I'll buy AssCreed games until they make one that isn't a cape simulator

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, I dig Arno, he's cool enough. I mean, he doesn't have a charismatic uncle or QTEs where he undresses a chick, but that's already been done anyway. I just finished Sequence 7 and I loved how they did it, but I'm also kinda worried that they won't be able to top it.

I had to buy Staggering Strike in the middle of the mission, though :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So nobody has been able to figure out how to just hack all the armor as available yet, have they?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

C-Euro posted:

This is a thread about Assassin's Creed, right? Because these hoodies popped up on a friend's FB feed earlier today and I kind of want one, someone talk me down from this ledge.

"No machine wash" sounds like a dealbreaker.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I like the hood on the Napoleon outfit, but I think some of these coats are too functional. I'm playing "dude jumping on buildings + really long jacket simulator," not "sensible period-appropriate shirt simulator."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Sorry man, I don't think even modern laptops could run Unity very well. But the good (bad?) news is that it probably isn't entirely your computer's fault; AC:U is just really poorly optimized. Rogue might've gotten a better port.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah I finally finished black flag yesterday and absolutely loved it. The story and gameplay were both fantastic and worked together well, and I actually cared about the characters involved.

On one hand I did, but on the other, it felt like it spent a lot of time fuckin' around and doing its best to avoid getting down to business... which I guess is actually kinda representative of Edward Kenway as a character. One thing I didn't like was that he just didn't really give a gently caress when I, as the player, wanted him to quite a bit. Becoming an Assassin seemed more like a FINE, MA, GOD drat event rather than legit maturation. Shame, really, because he was very likeable otherwise.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Capn Beeb posted:

"Oooh lookit me I'm James Cook, hotshot explorer loving about the arctic without cold weather gear. I see you eyeballing my mittens. Enjoy your frostbite, bonehead. :jerkbag:"

I still want Assassin's Creed: Paradise Lost about the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii. The tutorial sequence can be you're playing as one of the main character's ancestors and you stealth into Captain Cook's encampment and ruin his poo poo :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

macnbc posted:

It's why AC protags tend not to have kids until later in life, because once they've reproduced you can't read their memories past that point.

I liked the way they played it with Edward Kenway because he did have a kid (and before the events of AC4, no less), but she wasn't Desmond's direct ancestor.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I expected with a slower combat system, something more along the lines of Dark Souls where if you're good you can really gently caress bosses and enemies up but on the other hand, they can gently caress you up. Whittling them down slowly when they can kill you within seconds isn't fun, it's tedious. Higher star enemies more often than not just dodge to the side when I fire any pistols which more or less made them completely useless for me except in fringe cases and even then for sniping someone from a distance you'd be better off using the phantom blades.

Unity protip: always be using smoke bombs. It probably isn't the intended way to fight, but they let you assassinate 2-3 enemies of any size per bomb and you can just stunlock entire armies of dudes to death. Not to say that excuses anything or that the rest of the combat wasn't kind of poorly-designed, but the option is there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crappy Jack posted:

I will state for the record that everything this man just said also applied to me when I played through. Constantly dying over and over again because the path you need to take doesn't really look like a path, and there's an obvious path that keeps glitching out next to it.

Yeah, that whole sequence was a pain in the rear end. Let's script things to make it cinematic, except the falling debris is interactable objects and can instantly desynchronize the player if they step in the wrong place or the timing is off and the ceiling falls on them instead of in front of or behind them :downs:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snuffman posted:

...and yet at the moment they seem to be working through the fan favourite settings: French Revolution, Victorian London....

Somewhere in Japanese history has to be next.

Everyone wants Kyoto and they're gonna set it in Okinawa just be assholes :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zedd posted:

Already been out for a while: The Saboteur.

I'd go tits up without me smokes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Skeezy posted:

Kinda wish they did different play styles for different assassin's. I dunno but it would be cool if maybe one assassin dude didn't climb buildings or whatever but he did disguises or something.

Just something to really make the members of the Assassin Guild or whatever different from one another aside from clothes and location.

It's probably because Assassin's Creed is the Climb On Buildings Jacket Physics Simulator 20xx. If they were willing to experiment with other sneaking styles, I think they'd make them into very different-looking spin-off titles. Who knows, tough, maybe they already are? They put out that 2D stealth game a couple weeks ago, maybe they're trying to branch that into what you're describing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Calax posted:

I mean imagine if during part of this we had a third group of true anarchists running around trying to wreck everyones plans and create a truely free world?

They could never bring in an evil libertarian faction because they would alienate like half their userbase.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Unity is you playing a watered down French Ezio with a British accent with ultimately irrelevant customization options

AC2 also felt long as gently caress, whereas AC4 feels incredibly short. It isn't really a first time perception thing, either; even replaying AC2, it's like, god drat, how long is this game?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

The thing that annoyed me most about Unity was all the stuff you'd taken for granted (for example, double assassinations) being locked behind fecking skill points.

Yeah, I was really bummed at that. They shoulda made the upgrades, y'know, actual upgrades. Give us "delayed investigation" assassinations like in The Saboteur: shank a guy so he bleeds out, but doesn't really cause a fuss until ten seconds down the line when he slumps over and people start checking it out. Triple assassinations. Quadruple assassinations! Go all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Leonardo Da Vinci. A historical footnote.

Honestly I'll be happy if they bring back historical broseidons. The fact that the only time you ever got to interact with Benjamin Franklin was as Haytham, and the only thing he did was quote his all cats are grey bit, was a travesty. Like seriously he could've hanged out at your homestead and been all,

"Ah, Connor! There you are. Have we ever spoken at length about the benefits of"
:350:
"vegetarianism?"

• Locked thread