Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tenzarin posted:

If you are on PC verify your game cache/installation. It was happening to Iron Rose and his game was corrupted, he did not say if it fixed it. I don't know how you do this on a console, you should really be happy if it even loads the game, I guess i mean it is just a console.
:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Everybody's reporting problems with the game to the point of its user metacritic score being destroyed (there's no conspiracy of haters here like some idiots believe) and Ubisoft support forums are overflowing with reports. People are reporting severe crashes, whole parts of the city being unavailable and FPS dips everywhere including consoles and high-end machines. This game's launch is a disaster and of course it works on some machines but this doesn't invalidate the the other complaints. "It works on my PC which means y'all wrong" is a completely moronic sentence.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The no French accent while speaking English thing is because Ubisoft is French and they're really embarassed about their distinctive accent when speaking foreign languages for some reason. Italians don't really care about that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ymgve posted:

Let's not pretend that user metacritic scores are anything but a hivemind circlejerk where 90% of the people don't even own the game.
Yes, that's why you have to filter the score through common sense. There's no hate towards the publisher or series itself as AC4 had a good user score. When a game gets such a massive low score at release then it shows how wide spread problems with it are. They are very wide spread.

Comparing this to any other metacritic score misses the point entirely. I'm not arguing that metacritic scores are any sort of reliable gauge like you're implying. I'm saying that this has a particular meaning in this case = technical problems with the game are not exclusive to those few unlucky configurations like some idiots seem to think.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

macnbc posted:

Honestly I feel like this is the year of Next Gen Disappointment(tm).
I look back to the games I was looking forward to coming out this year:
* Watch_Dogs
* Destiny
* This year's AC title (since AC4 was awesome and Unity hadn't been announced yet)

And NONE of them have lived up to the hype. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to get a PS4 game I've been looking forward to and be completely blown away by it like so many times on previous generations.

(On the plus side I feel there's been "surprise" good games coming out instead like Shadow of Mordor)
Get Alien: Isolation, it's fantastic despite nobody (including me) had any hope for it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well yeah there is but it's not the main reason for people flipping out, it just makes the rage 10x stronger.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's way more complicated than that and no, they couldn't have just done that. I agree they had to be completely aware of Unity's problems though and their only choice would have been to delay it but they decided against it to keep up with the yearly release schedule and not lose on the Novemeber purchase wave.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Broken Cog posted:

I don't really get the "Hype" argument about it either. From reading this forum and other sources on the net, the general attitude towards it prior to release seemed to range from "Lol this game is gonna bomb so hard" to cautious optimism. I can't remember many people being super-hyped about it.
Nah, when the trailer for Watch_Dogs exploded it was a really big deal and everybody pissed their pants from excitement. That was the major perception and definitely there was no major stance that it would bomb, it was a new ip after all.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Broken Cog posted:

Eh, I remember that E3 thread here with the trailer, and people seemed more confused than hyped. I remember the comments being mostly about how dumb the name was and what exactly kind of game it was, with some people liking the weather effects(Seriously, the night rain effects in Watch Dogs still looks really really good) and QRCode-head.

Then the game got delayed a bunch and most of what hype there was died down.
Read the Watch_Dogs thread before the release:

Zorak posted:

I am pumped as hell for Deus Ex: Human Revolution + Grand Theft Auto or whatever the hell this is.
Etc. etc. for pages. Not that I blame them, the trailer looked rad as hell.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I went from ~20-30 FPS to a fractional framerate. I think I'm just gonna put this off until I get more than 4GB system RAM and a faster CPU.
Wait, so the patch made it worse? Welp.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Did they fix Unity's technical issues on PC yet?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Let me know when it happens so that I can get my rear end Creed fix.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Revelations owned.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There was actually an in-game e-mail to be found in AC4 that listed a few potential AC settings:
  • 13th Century Egypt/North Africa
  • 14th Century Ashikaga Shogunate in Japan
  • 18th Century French Revolution
  • 19th Century Napoleonic Wars/Taiwan
  • 19th Century New England and American Midwest
  • 20th Century Summer of Love, America Pacific Coast
  • Second World War ruled out because of heavy use of guns (at least in that e-mail conversation)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I want Mayan rear end Creed at the time of Columbus's arrival.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Planet of the apes rear end Creed where you're the good monkey but those Templar monkeys found the black monolyth and are using it for their evil purposes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It would be hilarious (and not in a good way) to watch rear end Creed's combat system translated into battles with the UK's police. They don't have guns alright but what would the actual fights be? Would they pull out swords? Police baton fencing? Pepper spray kung fu? Or would they be all hand-to-hand combat masters? :laugh:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

When it comes to the current-day storyline I actually feel for Ubisoft. In every part of the franchise this was the section under the heaviest criticizm no matter how good a game was.

When Desmond's storyline was unfolding everybody laughed at this whiny, goofy gently caress and couldn't skip his cutscenes fast enough and Ubisoft has been cutting that part away more and more with every title. I'm even sure they killed the guy off just to have an excuse to get the current-day events to the bare minimum as they were extremely unpopular.

Now that people got what they were asking for where this aspect has been reduced to the thin meta layer that is basically just an excuse to jump around in time in the 'real game' - other players who silently enjoyed Desmond's plot are rising their heads. As a developer of a big well known franchise you just can't satisfy every taste.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I liked the Desmond parts where we got to explore some ruins/hidden temples etc., they were pretty much the main game's mini challenge dungeons. I wouldn't mind if they developed that part to the point where you could expect modern day's tomb raiding to be the most challenging and satisfying climbing in the title. Leave the open world and combat and long missions and all that jazz to the main game while the current day stuff would be more vertical exploring on carefully crafted levels reminescent of Brotherhood's St. Peter's Basilica.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's a roulette from what I've heard. There are defnitely people who have problems with the game on GTX 970.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I bought Rogue for $20, I can finally get my rear end Creed fix. I'll buy Unity when it's fixed (lol).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Kin posted:

Where'd ya get it for $20?
Polish version of Ebay.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I started playing Rogue and drat I feel like I put old comfortable shoes on. It's basically Black Flag with new stuff, I have nothing against that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rogue is on sale on PSN as a part of 12 Deals of Christmas event.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

macnbc posted:

What region? When I look it up on the US store it shows as $60 still.
I'm in Germany but did you enter the event page or only went into the store? Also it translates into ~$40 on sale.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 14, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

losonti tokash posted:

Amazon has Unity for $30 today. I didn't really pay any attention to the game before or after it came out, is it worth getting at that price?
Actually it's about ethics in games journalism.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's gotten the negative attention mostly due to technical problems which are still very much a thing as even some of the in-game systems don't work. It was so bad that Ubisoft had to give away free games so that people didn't feel ripped off, I mean come on.

'It works on my system so it's fine :downs:' *clicks on Ubisoft support subforum threads with thousands upon thousands of complaints*

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Daily Forecast posted:

Reminds me of the Zelda cycle. Whatever the current one is is universally panned for being the biggest poo poo ever but then when the next one comes out, suddenly that game is fantastic. I remember a lot of hate for Black Flag, but now apparently it's golden. Once Victory comes out, people will whine about how much better Unity was because they won't remember the rocky release by then. Videogames!
Not really, Black Flag was pretty much loved after the disappointment of ACIII. When Ubisoft fixes the technical side of AC:U people will turn around but until then it's a fiasco of AC II's launch proportions.

Everybody will swear by ACII now not remembering the utter clusterfuck of the initial always-online DRM that made the game unplayable for a huge amount of people. I hope AC:U gets through a similar curve.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

effervescible posted:

I can't speak French for beans, but according to a friend it's more Montreal French than Paris French.
Lol that must be hilarious for people from France.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drat, I like Rogue a lot. The map is way more varied than Black Flag and it even opens up to include bigger cities. It feels like a healthy mix of Assassin's Creed 3's good parts added on top of Black Flag.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Aphrodite posted:

Yes. It's the same size as the entire game.

(Which if you don't own an Xbox One is an encouraging sign that it really does patch a whole lot, I guess?)
It's a display bug. The patch is still 6.7 GB.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I'm only halfway through Rogue, but it is starting to get glitchy. The front half of the game was really polished, but the back half is like an acid trip. People are sinking into and rising out of the cobblestone streets of New York. In fights with multiple guards, all characters briefly freeze in awkward stances and the camera pans in an awkward loop like a Fight Club sex montage. Mountains in the distance stand proud and pink like little girls playing princess dress-up. Ubisoft once again shows its true colors, one of which appears to be pink.
Yeah, I encounter glitches regularly, not as extreme though and only from time to time. Pretty much like in Black Flag.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I have fun with Unity but Christ Allmighty this is the worst case of npc and environment pop-in I've ever seen. Vanilla Rage has nothing on this. Like why did they make long streets if the game can't fully draw them? Why big crowds when the low quality textures kick in in very close proximity? I play this game on PC with ultra everything on a godly machine and this is ridiculous. I only hope there will be some mod that allows me to cranck up the draw distance or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm actually digging the companion app. I have my iphone next to the keyboard and it serves as an interactive map always showing where Arno currently is in Paris. It even works during cutscenes so it's great to have a visual indication of where the protagonist currently is in the context of the whole city. It's also pretty cool as I don't have to bring up the big in-game map ever and just glance at the phone where I can clearly see where the next view synchronization point is or whatever. There are also the nomad missions that serve as that old managment meta game. I actually see this whole thing as a cool idea on Ubisoft's part.

Also after all those years of people whining that the combat is too easy in AC it's funny to see the same whining from the other side for the easier combat to come back. You just can't satisfy the whole fanbase. I dig this game and I'd have no major problems with it if not for the ridiculous npc/environment pop-in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Despite some technical problems I'm really enjoying Unity. But then again I'm not the 100% completion type, I usually don't replay missions even when I hosed it up and I don't really care about collecting full sets so this all might be a factor.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I must say that the number of collectables in Unity is overwhelimg. When I see that there are like 40 chests in one of the city parts it makes me not want to bother. On the other hand it's pretty sweet how far they expanded the inventory in this regard.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I applied for the club as palpek.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't get the freeze bug but I have a high-end PC so that may be a factor.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Grimace posted:

Oh, definitely. I think I'm going to pick up Rogue when it goes down in price, since I hear that that game is still fairly good in comparison to Unity?
Rogue is a more polished version of Black Flag. It's really better in every way although a tiny bit smaller. At the same time it feels like Black Flag 1.5 so much that you must really crave the exact same game or you'll feel overfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A heads up that many people on the Ubisoft forums report that the DLC is bugged and can even erase your save files so back them up before playing. :ubisoft:

• Locked thread