Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I've fully entered "counting down the hours until release uggggh waiting sucks" mode for these games. Why am I such a sucker for them?

I'm going to play Unity first, since it's done with newer tech and I'm excited to try a lot of the stuff they added to it, but it's going to be hard waiting to play Rogue. Hoping like hell that Adewale gets to meet Haytham before Shay inevitably kills him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Are any other goons lame-os like me and playing on PS4? Can we make a spreadsheet of names and platforms or something like we did for Black Flag? I'm turtleducks if anyone wants to co-op later.

As soon as it gets here. Hurry up, delivery man! drat my magpie urge to snag the shinies on the special edition, I could have it by now already.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Eponymous posted:

I might be misinterpreting something here, but (fairly early and obvious spoilers) why is Arno getting blamed for his not-dad's death? Yes, he didn't deliver the note, but... the guy didn't seem to return that day. If Arno'd done his duty and stayed home until the guy (jesus did this game not make me care enough about him to remember his name) returned, the exact same thing would've happened, just without the framing. Am I missing something? I'm selling the game back tomorrow, so if there's plot clarification later (hah) I'm not going to get it.

It's not so much that he's morally responsible for the guy's death, but Elise knows Arno was supposed to deliver the note, probably because the servant Arno took it from told her. So yes, Arno had no way of knowing the consequences, but Elise knows that if her boyfriend had done what he said he would do instead of sneaking after her to make out, her father would likely still be alive. That's a tough thing to shrug off.

I played up to getting Arno's standard blue coat of being A Real Assassin, and I'm having a really good time. The characters and story are good, I'm still getting used to the gameplay but like several of the changes, and I haven't had many technical issues—a few cases of weird clipping, some stuttering in that stained glass chapel and at one point Arno went straight into stealth/crouch mode on his own (but I just untoggled it). I don't doubt that some people are having a lot of problems, but it's just not happening for me. Maybe it's worse in PC, since Ubisoft apparently sucks at that? All my friends who are playing it on PS4 are having a pretty normal time, but that's just a small sample size.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
If it's like every other game in the series with a money system, it'll come in at a slow trickle at first, and by the end you'll wonder what the hell to spend your vast riches on.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Has anyone done the nomad brotherhood stuff in the companion app? I want to try that, but it's grayed out on my phone. Is it like Kenway's Fleet where you have to progress to certain point in the story to unlock it?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Aphrodite posted:

Uplay being down is breaking it.

Well now I feel silly. That was the obvious answer.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Snuffman posted:

I thought the same, but no: outside of chests, nomad is entirely contained in the app and playable from the start.

To unlock missions you have to select a building in-app and find the glyphs on it. Tap to do a ping, tap the symbols as they appear. Find all the symbols and unlock a mission.

IMHO, Nomads isn't worth the trouble. Unlike Kenway's Fleet, the rewards and gameplay impact to the main game is minimal or nonexistent. The mission timers are so long that when you can unlock something decent, you already have more money or better equipment.

Kenway's fleet only hit 6 hour timers towards the end. I'm at 6 hour timers on the first non-training missions. Ugh.

Oh, thanks. Took a bit of noodling about, but I got it started. It's not as intuitive as Kenway's fleet either. I guess I'll see if it keeps my attention or not.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

For the few people playing Rogue, does anyone know how to defeat Adewale? He just runs around throwing smoke bombs and basically one hit kills me half the time. Doesn't help that I can't counter him at all.

edit: goddamn. got him by shooting him off a ladder and aerial assassinating him. gently caress yeah

You're a monster.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

HaitianDivorce posted:

Did that rumor about Connor having a cameo in Unity turn out true? Or is everyone guffawing at the game faceplanting on release?

If this got answered, I missed it. Beat Unity late last night, and nope, Connor does not make an appearance, which I am kind of annoyed by. He wouldn't really fit in with the main events, so I'm okay with him not playing a part in Arno's story, but during this time period, he's what—in his forties? We've never had two main-series Assassins alive during the same time period before. I would really have liked to hear what he's up to during Unity.

Anyway I skipped a lot of the side missions to finish the game, since I reached a point in the main campaign where I figured I might as well finish up last night, and I'm pretty happy with it. I sympathize with everyone having extreme technical problems, but for everyone on the fence, I totally recommend buying Unity...once they get this stuff ironed out, anyway. I played it on PS4 and yesterday the only glitches I saw were some gliding (not running) thieves during crowd events, so I'm not sure if they patched anything or if I just got lucky.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I feel like Revelations comes off best if you play it out of order. I didn't play it until I finished all the other games in the series, and it was fairly enjoyable. But it was really pushing what they could get out of that gameplay style, and a lot just felt like filler, so it would have been exhausting right after AC2/Brotherhood.

Getting to beat up Duccio one more time was great though. :colbert:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Rookersh posted:

Also this isn't mentioned in the game at all, only the comic that came with it, but they aren't actually Templars. Haythem was sent over to America to find the site, but around the same time he found it/invited Lee into the Order, he found out the guy that sent him from the beginning of the game murdered his dad/sold his sister off as a slave, so he went back and murdered every single Templar he knew about in the old world.

Eh, they were definitely still Templars, just a group of Templars that went more independent after a schism. Haytham himself proclaims that the Templars will always rise back up in his last conversation with Connor, so it's inaccurate to paint him as having turned his back on their way of doing things. It's more like he said "Well those guys were a bunch of dicks, my group will go be Templars the right way. Unity touches on this kind of infighting a bit as well.

I 100% agree that they need to keep important poo poo like this in the games, though. I don't mind if they want to expand and add details in their books, but ffs anything crucial needs to be in the drat game. Revelations had this problem too.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

ayn rand hand job posted:

The single player story basically doesn't really touch on it at all, but most of the actual Co-Op missions are based off of French Revolution stuff. There's 2 or 3 missions where the primary focus involves Danton.

Other single-player missions that can be picked up whenever, too. Just not tightly tied into the main sequences.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

BaconPigbutt posted:

I started playing AC3 today, but it`s so, so buggy. I only played until sequence 3, and there were already several missions where I had to reload more than once after the scripted stuff stop working, carriages going invisible middle cut-scene, rifles that don`t work, a total mess. Am I just the unluckiest guy in the planet or is this normal? :argh:

It was normal for the early days of release, but they've long since patched the hell out of AC3, so you might just be unlucky, yeah. Or perhaps you've traveled through time?

I started playing Rogue after beating Unity in three days, and while the incredibly blatant cut-and-paste of assets is a little :rolleyes:, it's got enough new bits added to keep it from being boring. I was really startled the first time I got boarded, since I'd forgotten about that addition. The glitches I apparently escaped in Unity are coming out here, though—twice the game froze on me for no reason, once badly enough that I had to hard-reset my PS3. Otherwise enjoying it pretty well so far.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Abu Dave posted:

AC3 should've been about Haythum and the twist should've been the ending. I didn't see it coming and was genuinely surprised by it.

That would have been interesting, but not sustainable. Sooner or later people would wonder why they never actually gave their group a name.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Calaveron posted:

The could've just done an us versus them narrative. Does anyone actually give a gently caress about the plot in these games

Plenty of people do? It's goofy as hell, yeah, but for some that's part of the fun.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, but this would require an entire game of them ducking around ever saying the words Templar or Assassin for the whole time. Not a single database entry could hint at it (and they already managed to spoil major plot events in the codex entries anyway). It's a ton of work for something that even the slightest misstep could completely unravel anyway. I was already getting suspicious with how they kept dodging around with their language, there's no way it wouldn't have been patently obvious by the end. You can pull a twist like that in a movie or book where you can control exactly what information a player can get, but it's a lot harder to do in something interactive.

Exactly this. A friend of mine was playing and toward the end of the prologue, suddenly had a "waaaaait they never used the word 'Assassin' yet..." Doesn't mean it couldn't have still been a good game, but if they tried to hold the twist to the end, it would've been insulting to our intelligence.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

AutomaticPrince posted:

Unity might be my favorite Creed game yet. Ever since I was forced to read A Tale of Two Cities, I've been very interested in the French Revolution, especially the use of the guillotine. While on the way to start a mission, I noticed they were actively guillotining people. Stopped and watched as they did 3 of them. The revolution in the background makes for great atmosphere in the game. Also, there's one sequence really has me wanting an occupied Europe WW2 Assassin's Creed.

I agree with the praise for the sense of the Revolution's atmosphere, and don't really understand people who say it was underused. It's everywhere—NPCs are all over reacting to it in very specific ways, there are loads of newspapers you can pick up with short items written from both sides of the conflict at different times, there are co-op and single-player missions that involve specific events and characters. (He's in the main campaign, but last night I served as Napoleon's wingman as he tried to court his future wife. He had no game.) I'm sure it's possible to involve it more, but it would be getting pretty close to the Forrest Gump-esque placement of Connor that we had in AC3.

Also I do completely understand why people who haven't bought it are reluctant to do so (I've been lucky enough to encounter few glitches, but I think it's appalling that Unity shipped in a state where other people would have so many), but I can't help but roll my eyes when people complain about the story of a game they haven't played.

Daily Forecast posted:

Story wise I guess I'd complain that it moves way too fast? Like it feels like they're setting up Templar A to be this huge character and then whoops, twenty minutes later you assassinate him, so much for that. I feel like they could have done a lot more, but story is kind of secondary in a game about collecting cockades and breaking lockpicks in revolutionary France.

gently caress the haters, I love this game.

on that note, though, I remember getting the Edward Kenway outfit, and then the next day taking it off, and ever since I haven't been able to access it. It's locked off, says I need to go get the chest, but I've already loving opened the chest so it's not like I can go re-get it. Has this happened to anyone else or am I hosed?

:):respek::)

Probably it feels slower if players meander around doing side missions between the main campaign. I meant to do that, but got caught up in everything and found myself suddenly at the end. I'm doing all the side stuff now, but I want to go back and approach some of the past story missions in different ways. And the balloon chase because it is great.

The chest thing is probably more Initiates fuckery.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I wouldn't spend $60 on Rogue unless you dig world exploration way more than the story. It's fine, but the main campaign is annoyingly short. Black Flag has good exploration and a longer story.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I want to see younger Bill Miles as a hippie Assassin.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Kin posted:

That can be spun as them having to evolve the tech a little in order to let other people relive memories through someone's DNA.

Yeah, it undoes the importance of the main characters from the first games, but it could be spun that there was more tech in that place where Desmond died that allowed them to enhance the Animus to Helix.

That's actually canon. Some of the hackable files in Black Flag show early attempts at reliving the genetic memories of someone you're not related to, and at some point the game straight-up tells you "yeah we can do this now."

Snuffman posted:

Oh, his skull is in the catacombs. Guess we don't need to worry about Abstergo finding it. Thanks.

I thought that was great. The catacombs are huge, there are millions of skulls in there, and it's very unlikely they'd be able to extract any DNA from the bones. They really don't need to worry about Abstergo finding it, honestly.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Just got to the end of sequence 5 in Rogue where you kill Adewale. I feel like the worst person in the world now. On the plus side, he got to tell Haytham how ashamed Edward would be if he know what Haytham had become, which is basically everything I wanted from the game.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol why? they knew what they were doing when they put out a poorly optimized game that is barely held together. if they really were trying to "give people what they want" they'd omit all the intrusive poo poo and maybe do more testing before, god forbid, we go a year without a loving AC installment.

So did you miss the part where Palpek was only talking about the modern storyline or

I think they should have stuck to their guns and focused on making Desmond's story worthwhile and entertaining to those who didn't like him at first. Instead they tried to have it both ways and have the modern story be super important...but mostly able to be shunted off to the side except for some bits at the beginning and end. And then it didn't really work for anybody. But I'm a bitter Desmond fan so I'm biased.

Kopijeger posted:

Come to think of it, in the first game you could read Vidic's email in the out-of-animus bits and there were hints that the world was about to end. Some highlights:

Of course, none of this was ever mentioned again and it seems like the world outside the animus is chugging along well enough to make VR video games a viable industry.

What's also weird to me is that none of the dialogue with Vidic seems to reflect this state of looming catastrophe, and Desmond acts like he lives in a world pretty in line with our own. I guess this is just another way the original AC was sort of a beta test.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

macnbc posted:

Considering how a number of sources, including Ubisoft, have blamed many of the game's performance issues on Uplay, I'm wondering whether a person has issues or not may be dependent on the quality of their internet connection, or possibly even other factors like distance from Ubisoft servers or time of day.

To those in the thread having the game poo poo the bed regularly: how's your internet typically?

Not a bed-shitter, but for an example at the opposite end, I had very few issues (PS4) and very good internet.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Narcissus1916 posted:

Finished up Rogue last night, and I'm not going to go into spoiler territory here, but yeesh.

There's some fun fan service throughout, but the idea that it "Fills in important blanks" in the series is comic gold. Curious how Edward Kenway died? How did Haytham, arguably the central character of this entire 'trilogy' end up a templar?

gently caress if I know. Some wikia bullshit tells me I should pick up a novel about all that, but the complete lack of ANY depiction of these events in the "core" entries in the series (IE any of the drat video games) is some awful franchise management.

Shay's character is reasonably well portrayed, with the second act a particular highlight. But he also largely exists as narrative spackle.

I thought it was kind of neat to learn that Haytham was the one who crippled Achilles. Not that I was dying to know that piece of backstory before, but it does cast some bits of AC3 in an interesting light. Totally agree about the novels, though. It's nice when they can add some extra information, but it's a bad thing if something feels lacking unless you read them.

As for Shay's story, I felt it was a pretty decent portrayal about how someone can believably go from the Assassins to the Templars, but I lost a lot of sympathy for Shay when it turned out that he was 100% wrong about Achilles being a power-mad guy who didn't care what might happen to civilians as long as he found the Pieces of Eden—Achilles clearly decided on his own to leave these particular PoE be, and I took from the scene that he went to verify for himself what Shay had been screaming about.

I mean, I don't blame Shay for leaving; it's hard to say for sure since we don't see any detail on what went down in Haiti, but it's believable enough that they're guilty of wishful thinking and not wanting to believe that the Haiti earthquake was caused by their PoE search (and therefore thinking it's fine to send Shay after another one.) So negligent homicide, I guess? They hosed up for sure. But imo their actions didn't square with Shay's revelation that they are so bad and so much worse than the Templars.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Daily Forecast posted:

And if you're really hurting for money you can do what I did do what complete losers do and stand in front of your income chest and alt-tab out of the game (don't pause it) while you browse the internet or do other things. Just tab back every once in a while to collect it.

I sometimes leave my console version running and earning while I putter around my apartment cleaning.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Huh. If this leak is accurate, I have mixed feelings—I'd liked to either get out of Europe or continue with Arno in France, because I like him and I think his character had a lot of potential left. But hnnngh Victorian London would be cool.

Kopijeger posted:

One thing that could be interesting would be a game set in the same city where you skip between different time periods. Rome would be pretty good for this, you could run around monumental buildings when they were at the height of their glory (the Domus Aurea, Circus Maximus, a fully intact Colosseum, Old St. Peters and so) or visit the city during the most dramatic episodes in its history (the various sackings, or even WW2).

I bet they continue with the rifts for this kind of thing. It makes sense for cool bits that they can't include in a game. I had a lot of fun with these bits in Unity, and I don't care how silly they were.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

superh posted:

Yep they get completed for you, and chests get collected. It's ok if you can't play the actual game for a bit so all your missions aren't tied up - but having dudes not get tied up for 24h would have been even better!

Or 36. Look, just want to have fancy Assassin fashion, game, why must you make me suffer for it?!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Good luck, my friend. I'm still leveling my Assassins up because I refuse to send them on those missions if the chance of success is less than 90%.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

superh posted:

They all died noooo...!

I'm sorry for your loss. :smith:

On the plus side, some of them are functionally immortal. One of mine died a few days ago and when I went to recruit a new one, there she was.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Must be some Piece of Eden bullshit.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Lollerich posted:

Nope, the dude's Mohawk name who voiced Connor is Bulaagawish, Connor's name is Ratonhnhaké:ton

I don't know about the other native American actors/characters, but Noah Watts is Crow, not Mohawk, so they wouldn't use his tribe name anyway.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I can't speak French for beans, but according to a friend it's more Montreal French than Paris French.

edit: actually I don't remember if she meant the background French or the main spoken French if you switch over. Though I guess they're probably the same.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Lollerich posted:

Ah, OK. Sorry. So, that is actually pretty cool that they did that, I have to admit. Also, Noah Watts then either learned how to pronounce Mohawk or bungled his way through it? I know Connor doesn't seem to speak a lot of Mohawk in the game, but I'm sure there was some.

Yeah, they had a dialect coach or somesuch. If you look up the Assassin's Den podcast, they did a lengthy interview with him that covered the process. Adrian Hough (Haytham) too. I found it fairly interesting.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Lollerich posted:

Do you have links to that? I'm honestly interested / intrigued.

The best ones have been linked, but the full list is here. Each entry has a link to the mp3 version. One of the hosts is also now a community manager for Ubisoft and runs the Initiates podcast, which tends to get more devs than actors.

Aside from the Noah Watts episode, which I thought was pretty interesting in regards to all the Mohawk stuff and left me appreciating Connor more as a character, Roger Craig Smith and Adrian Hough are the best guests. Both are super into talking about the creative process and how they formed their characters, and both do some goofy voice extras, which is fun.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I hope the summon backup Assassins thing never comes back. People complain about the series being too easy, but being able to summon my personal murdersquad with no delay in response time made everything trivially easy. I enjoyed building up the brotherhood more through the story component, like Ezio assisting on missions to develop master Assassins in Revelations. That was a lot more satisfying to me.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
So I was kind of hoping that my club could win a competition this week, since only the one that beat us in last week's round seemed very motivated. I signed on just now to see that in the new bracket, second- through sixth-place all had 0 points...and the club in first place has 2,147,483,647.

What the hell. Is that even possible, especially in less than a day? :stare:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Ah, that'd explain it. It just looked liked a string of random numbers to me, not anything meaningful. Well, I submitted a ticket with Ubi support, I guess they'll either fix it or we wait another week to try.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

muscles like this? posted:

Is Dead Kings a side thing or is it meant to be played after you finish the main story?

It takes place after the main game.

As for the final mission, if people had trouble with it because of glitches, then that sucks and I sympathize. The actual mission design wasn't especially harder or easier than the rest of the game, though. Take out some roof guards, sneak in, kill target. Not a big departure from the norm IMO.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I don't mind not being able to whistle, but I really wish we could still use human shields. That was the best in Black Flag.

BondSworeSuccinctly posted:

Funny you should mention this. The novelisation of Unity is written from Elise's point of view. Its in the format of a diary, and I would guess that its there to fill in any plot points that got cut from the game. If anyone here has read it they could put them up as spoilers for the rest of us, if anyone wants to know that is.

It's also way better written than the other novelizations. I wonder if they got a new ghostwriter. Anyway, I'm too lazy to bullet point the book plot points, but it covers a significant amount of pre-game time for Elise.

If anyone's got specific questions I can probably answer. But it's worth a few bucks to read yourself if you're into that stuff.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

BondSworeSuccinctly posted:

According to wikipedia its the same author from the previous novels, also the novels cover is considerably better then the games own cover:

http://imgur.com/1tuSrK2 Picture is HUGE.

I dont understand why they didnt use this for the actual game.

Oliver Bowden is just a pen name though, so it would be incredibly easy to switch authors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Yeah, that's what I've heard, but the Unity novel really is a lot better than the others. It's not great literature or anything, but for what it is it's decent, and I actually enjoyed myself reading it. Most of the other ones are a cringefest most of the way. It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious if they got someone else to write it or he suddenly, inexplicably improved.

• Locked thread