Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now that the modern day storyline apparently allows for time glitches so you can kill Nazis during the French Revolution, you are a monster if you don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

webmeister posted:

Hey wow it's Shaun the sarcastic coffee guy, haven't I seen you somewhere before?

Actually I think no. Abstergo has never seen him before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been wondering this for a while. This picture is on the front of Steam:

Are those supposed to be four copies of the same person, or are they so uncreative with player characters that they are different people but all look exactly the same?

It's to emphasize the customization and co-op.

Plus I think you always appear as Arno to yourself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

See the thing is, with the way the co-op is designed, it actually would be a lot of work to animate female characters.

They just said it in a monumentally stupid way.

(Though they should have just been working on it from the start.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rasmussen posted:

The reason they gave is it's too hard, but the real reason is they and many other studios think if there is a female playable character they will lose sales because their target demo (bro dudes) think playing as girls is gay, or something. This is a true thing.

It's a weird way of thinking since if this forum is any indication a large percentage of guys play female characters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

I've heard that all three of the big Ubisoft releases this season contain in-app-purchases. Maybe they're running into an old Valve policy or something? Longshot, it's probably Ubisoft being a pack of idiots like EA.

Google and Apple take 30% of IAP, so I bet Valve is around there too.

I don't know what you can charge for without multiplayer though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

'Hackable features' might be in-game cheats from the sound of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

macnbc posted:

Didn't AC4 sell timesaver packs in the like through microtransactions? How is this different?

They must expect the 'hackable features' stuff to be more significant.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like a big expansion to the UPlay stuff for the game?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh I know, I just mean it also looks like they've expanded the actions and rewards quite a bit. It used to be 4 of each.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's strange that they choose to add those in the non-multiplayer one. Are people really that bad at the games?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So it's pay to unlock instead of using in-game currency for cosmetic items.

They actually had that in the other games in their multiplayer.

Also that's an encouraging number of hoods for the customization.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably shouldn't demo your game on an Xbox.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Lol this game looks so loving awful.

It's hilarious how some of you stupid shits are already rationalizing the micro transactions.

This site has microtransactions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Do you think the frame rate and graphics problems on PS4 could have something to do with the Firmware 2.0 update effecting some games, and could be fixed by a day one patch? I know the evolve beta had to be pulled down do to the 2.0 firmware causing problems with it.

All the videos have been on Xbone so far. Is there somewhere else talking about the PS4 version?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like those shaving gel items actually use the UPC code, and so are universal.

Reddit page has them: http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/2lq7en/free_assassins_creed_unity_ingame_content_edge/

Stupidly, it's one code per UPlay account so if you want them all you need to create throwaway UPlay accounts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

macnbc posted:

I edited my prev post but this one's noteworthy:

Kotaku gives it a NO rating

Pretty rare for them.

Another biggie: IGN: 7.8

Wait, did they really call 3 one of the best of the year?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Harlock posted:

The state of Games Journalism where the review reads as largely negative but is given a 7, as if the scale only goes from 6-10.

Joystiq seems to have gone a point lower than how theirs reads too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Daveski posted:

What does this mean? I haven't played the past few AC games.

A character not a lot of people like.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Black Flag is the only good Asscreed game. It also is a really good game in general.

You're not even keeping your gimmick consistent man. Lazy work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha, enemies actually get finisher animations if you die in combat now. Just to rub it in a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tracula posted:

What are the micro's in Unity anyways? I've heard a lot of complaining but no real details.

Unlock stuff for money instead of cash if you're lazy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

How do I switch weapons anyway? That wasn't part of any tutorial. It doesn't seem to be assigned to the d-pad in any way I can see.

I think you can only equip one.

So I guess you switch from the customization menu.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snuffman posted:

The companion app definitely isn't talking to Uplay right, I can see myself and the stuff I've unlocked but the data is...inconsistent. I have a cafe, it says I don't. I unlocked a chest, it tells me PLAY THE COMPANION APP. Also waaaay grindier than Kenway's fleet. 3 or so missions in and they already take 2-6 hours to complete. I dread what the harder districts are like.

Initiates is fixed today. :shobon: Back to level 21.

I have no Assassins in my companion app.

I had 6 or 7 the day before release. I don't know if I'll get them back or have to start over or what. Doesn't really matter if I have to restart, but right now I can't finish the tutorial because of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think that club is PC only. Might want to note that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kirios posted:

So I've heard Ubisoft hosed up pretty royally on Unity...can anyone here detail what are the major issues with the game?

It has framerate problems.

Everything else is standard Assassin's Creed (glitches, gameplay and all.) Though probably more frequently right now.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 12, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's actually less broken than a loving repackage of 13 year old games so at least they have that going for them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I think it's just this one and 3 that had technical problems at launch. Was something similar about their development, and different than other ACs? More different groups than usual trying to work together, or something like that?

New engines.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

effervescible posted:

Has anyone done the nomad brotherhood stuff in the companion app? I want to try that, but it's grayed out on my phone. Is it like Kenway's Fleet where you have to progress to certain point in the story to unlock it?

Uplay being down is breaking it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snuffman posted:

I thought the same, but no: outside of chests, nomad is entirely contained in the app and playable from the start.

It's broken for some people and you don't get any Assassins in it, so you can't advance further than the first puzzle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

I don't think anyone is making a stink that this is not 60fps. A CONSISTENT framerate (and not a super low one) would be fine. There is zero benefit to the player for having 500 (poorly) modeled NPC's in a town square. Those guys exist merely so that Ubi can tout, on paper, how next-genny their game is.

They're actually useful for stealth on some missions, but could have been replaced with a stall or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It won't, because it probably won't affect sales.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently if you started the companion app before the game release, you're locked out of the nomad missions (and therefore unlocking stuff) completely.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

So for people who played the game, how is Robespierre portrayed in this game? Big villain?

The guy's named is Robe Spear.

If he isn't an Assassin with a really unwieldy signature style that's a missed opportunity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TyrsHTML posted:

Holy poo poo is there no way to actually search for a club. I had to spend 10 minute digging through the list to find saac.

There's 2 buttons on the Search option. One is by name/tag,

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can connect to UPlay now but all I get is a screen that says Back to Game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

Personally, I feel like I'd like the new combat more if the frame rate didn't get to get lower when you've got a crowd around. They expect you to get better at timing your blocks and stuff, which is cool, but then in practice it means that things just get choppy and you're not able to react to anything in time. Really, I'd be much happier with the game if it ran better. The crowds are great, but then you see somebody get stuck on some pathfinding, or magically jump six feet in the air for no reason, or you're in a huge battle, but the framerate gets so choppy that it starts to get hard to tell what's going on. Like somebody said, there's a pretty good core game in here, I'm enjoying even just walking around the city streets for the first time since AC1, but the technical issues are really holding it back, and that's coming from somebody who normally can overlook polish and framerate issues.

You press parry when the bar tells yellow. You don't have to time anything yourself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CreedThoughts posted:

I must be exceptionally lucky, since I've had zero framerate issues or glitches/bugs. I think people might be overreacting a bit. It's an Assassin's Creed game, if you like the series, you will enjoy this one. The only hiccup I've had is running into walls, but that's been a series long issue. Also, don't fight so much if you hate the combat? I've had luck using smoke bombs and running away if it wasn't mission critical to kill something. If you disliked Black Flag, don't even bother with this game.

No glitches that matter for me either. I've had NPCs randomly die in the street but that doesn't affect anything.

However you've probably had frame rate issues, they just haven't bothered you.

ethanol posted:

ubisoft shares dropped 12 % over this game :drat:

That's just going to make some people a bunch of money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

Don't be an apologist. How can it be on our end? You saying everyone has bad consoles?

At least a few are playing on the Xbox One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HaitianDivorce posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. Sequence Four picks up with a dude going "can you believe it's been a whole year since we met?" and basically winking into the camera without explaining what the gently caress they were doing in that year. But I'm enjoying the gameplay a lot--whaling is as horrifying and legendary ships are as nasty as they were in Black Flag, which is good, because they're basically the exact same :v:

(Actually legendary ships take place as "legendary battles" with multiple allies and a few trash enemy ships too, so that's kinda cool)

E: ^^^ God I hope someone gets fired over that. Someone somewhere is screaming at them about how bad that looks, right?

The Ezio games skipped like 4 years regularly.

• Locked thread