Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Are either of the Virgin America cards worth it? Me and the fiancee have started traveling a lot for work and we book our own travel, we fly virgin 90%+ of the time. The points seem to make sense, but our preferred card is the Amex Blue Cash Preferred, but it came up that we can totally rack up some Virgin points. Since we'd use it for travel, it would get paid off every month for sure, and we travel somewhere at least once a month.

http://www.drcreditcard.net/comenity-virgin-america.html

This guy has pretty good reviews of various cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cacafuego posted:

I'm looking for a good airline/travel rewards card. I recently went on a US Air flight and they were pushing their US Air mastercard pretty hard. I really like the free first bag (I would take advantage of this) and the 50,000 upfront miles. I don't necessarily like the $89 annual fee, but that'd be essentially cancelled if I took 2 round trip flights with a bag per year, which I will probably do ($25/bag each way). Reviews I'm reading aren't very good for this card though.
Right now, the US Airways mastercard also includes two companion flight passes (good for a $99 companion inside the continental US) and a lounge day pass. Very soon, the US Airways master card will become an American Airlines card, and those two benefits will stop being offered; instead, you'll get 10% of your redeemed miles back, capped at 10K miles back per year.

That said, Barclays customer service is often bad.

Cacafuego posted:

Creditkarma.com is recommending the Chase Sapphire Preferred (I don't like the $95 annual fee) and the Barclaycard Arrival World master card. It mentions 20,000 miles after $1,000 in purchases within 90 days, but are these usable with any airline?
Both of these cards are popular amongst both novices and travel experts.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred gives 2x miles and dining and travel, and those points can be redeemed towards airfare (at a fixed rate of 1.25 cents per mile) or transferred (in 1000 mile increments) to several hotel and airline programs.

The Barclay Arrival "miles" are actually not traditional airline miles, but rather you can use them for statement credits towards travel expenses. Each Arrival "mile" is worth 1 cent towards a travel expense (minimum of 2500), plus you get 10% back.

Anyway, this guy has some detailed reviews of each card:
http://www.drcreditcard.net/barclays-us-airways.html
http://www.drcreditcard.net/chase-sapphire-preferred.html
http://www.drcreditcard.net/barclays-arrival.html

It's hard to say what might work best for you without knowing some specifics, but I'm familiar with all three of these cards if you have any questions.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Those transfer bonuses used to be frequent, not so much anymore.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I also did some reading on the fine print for the Companion Pass and it's only good for travel originating in and returning to the US and only good for flights on BA, not partner airlines. That made an already iffy proposition (putting all my spends in one basket to hit the 30k) even less attractive, since I'll be based in Australia from next month and not being able to use partner airlines makes routing lovely for me, not to mention getting hit with all of BA's fees and surcharges for awards (you can sidestep a lot of them by using Avios on partner airlines). For all the bother, in my personal case I don't think I'd wind up coming out much ahead.
Qantas is pretty stingy on award seats between the Australia and US if that's what you were planning to use it for, just FYI.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

dexter6 posted:

Barclays will not allow you to have > airline branded card open at once. I attempted to open a second US Airways card for the additional 50k miles, but they declined the app because I already "had sufficient credit" with them.

I found a two-year-old blog post from someone saying that it was possible, but apparently, it's not.
This is not true. I just got recently got a second one.

They are definitely very conservative in their approvals, though.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

dexter6 posted:

Shrug - I dunno. Maybe you got lucky? Or me, unlucky?
From what I've heard, automatic approvals are independent of the kind of card you're applying for. However, if the application has to go to manual review, most agents will reject it if they see you already have one of that card.

(I've had other applications rejected in the past.)

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 23, 2015

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bisty Q. posted:

PDX-SNA is a nonstop on AA.
Edit: Actually, Alaska Airlines flies this route. Alaska flights can be booked with Avios, but you have to call.

Edit 2: Here's a guide.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 31, 2015

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

nickutz posted:

Looks like there is now less than a month left to apply for the Barclaycard US Airways Dividend Miles card with 50,000 point sign up bonus (after first purchase and annual fee payment of $89).

The US Airways and AAdvantage programs are merging around the end of April so your Dividend Miles will become AAdvantage points around then.
"Within the next thirty days" so possibly sooner than that.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cacafuego posted:

It's becoming the AAviator MC which will be unavailable for anyone but current USAir Barclaycard holders. And I believe all purchases are 2x miles until June on this card through the transition.
1.5x. There's a 50% promo.

FISHMANPET posted:

Which reminds me, back to the eternal question, any new American Chip & Pin cards?
The American AAviator card has Chip+PIN, although Chip+Sig is preferred.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FISHMANPET posted:

Looks like there's no way to get the AAviator card unlesss you already have a US Airways card? Also, $85 annual fee.
This is correct, although there is still a little bit of time to apply for the US Airways card. The USAir card comes with 50,000 miles with basically no minimum spend, so that's not a bad return.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

pig slut lisa posted:

I got mail saying I need to register for this promo online, and that a sidebar ad would just show up for me on my account page to do so, but so far I haven't seen anything :saddowns:
I believe the mailer said you can register for it by phone, too.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

dexter6 posted:

Yes, I can book AA with BA miles and BA with AA miles, however from reading blogs, it seems you should almost never book BA flights because of the fuel surcharges they put on. I priced out a flight that was 40k miles but $800 in fees/taxes.
It's a little counter intuitive because long-haul BA flights (the ones to/from London to outside Europe, which you'd probably expect to book BA points with) often have hilarious fuel surcharges.

However, a lot of domestic flights (both on BA and partners) do not have any such charges. So, using them for a coach flight within the US, for example. I've booked a short (~500 hop) flight for my family that cost $176 for 4500 Avios.

Do be aware that BA points can only be redeemed for low-level awards on partners (for instance, MilesAAver on AA). So check availability BEFORE you transfer points to BA.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

pig slut lisa posted:

Both Chase and SPG, yeah

The SPG transfer ratio is not good. If you really need another sign up bonus to transfer to United, consider Marriott.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Insane Totoro posted:

Isn't Marriott to United still basically "four Marriott points" becomes "1 United point" sort of a situation:?
It varies depending on the amount you're converting, but it can approach 2.24 to 1. Chart here.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FISHMANPET posted:

Most everything we can get in American right now is Chip & Sig (though I guess WF has some Chip & Pin cards?). Anyway "the internet" says that you'll have problems with a Chip & Sig card in Europe, especially at unmanned terminals like in train stations.
Barclays offers a few cards (namely the Arrival+ and Aviator) which have a Chip+PIN mode, although they will only do this if the terminal does not support Chip+Signature.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Both my AmEx and Wells Fargo cards already have chip and PIN and did just fine in Europe last month when I absolutely couldn't use cash.

Everything I've read about the supposed "October 2015" deadline is very nebulous. What I understand right now is that Visa and MasterCard are shifting liability to merchants that process fraudulent transactions with swipes after that month, so merchants will want to use chips by then. In theory every Visa and MasterCard should offer a chip option by then, but apparently it doesn't necessarily have to be chip and PIN, but could be chip and signature? This is all so weird.
The deadline is just for using EMV (the chip part).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

pig slut lisa posted:

For travelling within the US, your best mileage programs are probably British Airways Avios and Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards. You can earn the former directly with the Chase BA card, and indirectly with the Chase Sapphire Preferred and any Amex that earns Membership Rewards (Amex Gold is a good one to consider). To earn Southwest RRs, go with either of Chase's Southwest branded cards or (again) the Chase Sapphire Preferred (although not Amex, since it's not a transfer partner).
British Airways is only helpful if you're near a US/AA/AS hub, or that's where you want to fly. It's not as good a deal if you have to make connections.

quote:

e: Also as I understand it the Barclay Arrival+ is good if you find yourself having to book with cash, since you get a good reimbursement rate on it. But I can't speak personally to that.
Yes, if you redeem for travel, you get effectively 2.2% back on all purchases. Plus, you can earn extra points through the Barclay Reward Boost portal, and they have nice deals not found on most other shopping portals.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Insane Totoro posted:

I don't see how they would even tell since we have the same last name?
You can transfer between cards held by yourself or your spouse. If you only ever transfer to one other person, probably no reason to worry, but if you're transferring to multiple people, it's an easy sort of thing for a computer to detect.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

nickutz posted:

Pretty sure Ink points are already Chase Ultimate Rewards.
They are, and you can freely transfer points between Freedom, Sapphire Preferred, Ink, Ink Plus, Palladium cards held by you or your spouse.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

obi_ant posted:

Hey Goons. I was looking at the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and I was interested in it. I wanted a little help in deciding if I should sign up for it.
I don't know how much detail you want, but here's a very detailed review of the card - http://www.drcreditcard.net/chase-sapphire-preferred.html

obi_ant posted:

Although I do not travel outside of the country much, I do plan to do so soon. Looking into foreign fees, this card in particular peaked my interest. Currently there is a 40,000 bonus point offer, along with a 5,000 point bonus offer if I put an authorized user on it. The no foreign fees is a nice touch, along with 2x points on any travel and dining (which I assume you can do in the US). The annoying thing is the $95 annual fee.
So three things:
  • First, Foreign Transaction Fees are about 3%, so you can figure out the breakeven on that - $95/.03 ~= $3166. If you pay more than that overseas or in a foreign currency, you've gotten more value out of the card than the annual fee.
  • Second, travel means purchases from travel vendors, like hotels, travel agencies, taxis, rental cars, airplanes, trains, .etc. Not just "I made a purchase while travelling."
  • Third, the annual fee is waived the first year.

obi_ant posted:

The issue I'm having is that I'm not understanding how much each point is worth on the Chase Sapphire card. Also, I typically book flights through Orbitz, Expedia or some other site like that. From what I can tell the prices are much cheaper on those site than the Ultimate Rewards site. With my spending habits does it make sense for me to sign up for the card? I also really like that its metal.
If you redeem for travel that way, each point is worth $1.25, and keep in mind you can pool your Freedom and Sapphire Preferred points. The Ultimate Rewards portal may be cheaper, the same as, or more expensive than other booking sites, as detailed here. I think I've seen all three cases.

One of the nice benefits about the Sapphire Preferred is that you can alternatively transfer your points to miles on several airlines, so if you can find a cheap award ticket with United, you can use do that. Also it includes pretty good travel insurance on purchases made on the card.

That said, if you're solely interested in redeeming the points for travel, you could also consider the Barclay Arrival Plus. Each point is worth 1 cent, but you get 2 points for every dollar spent, and a 10% rebate when you redeem for travel.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

triple sulk posted:

I almost want to say that Barclays is lowering the Arrival+ benefits because they're just about the only card on the entire market that has C+P. They know that they can get away with it because your options are super minimal if you want a card with that feature.
They also offer C+P on the Aviator and I think on the Haiwaiian Airlines card?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

dexter6 posted:

Looks like the Citi Executive / AAdvantage card has a new deal. Still $450/annually, but now you get 75k miles for $7,500 spend in first 3 months. $7500 is a lot for me, so I'm going to pass, but apparently a lot of people rate this card pretty highly.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/...oryId=undefined
It's admitably harder than it used to be, but you can have a lot of fun with 75k AA miles.

Anyway, the card includes an Admirals Club membership, which includes two guests and can be used even if you're flying another airline. It also has the ability to earn EQM, which is helpful if you're trying to attain some of frequent flier status with AA. If neither of those interest you, this card is probably not for you long term.

Bisty Q. posted:

They're almost carbon copies of each other, yes.
No, World Elite offers a lot more premium travel benefits, if you actually care to take advantage of them. (Most people don't.)

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/find-card-products/credit-cards/world-elite.html

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 6, 2015

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Xandu posted:

That's a nice card, but even with admiral's club and EQM (though 10k for $40k spend isn't that amazing), it doesn't seem worth it compared to amex or similarly priced cards.
Well, there aren't a lot of options to earn EQM on AA (aside from flying). Delta is a lot more generous with CC PQM, while United offers none anymore.

The Amex Platinum is a nice card, but it offers little in the way of travel insurance and no bonus categories. Something like the Citi Prestige or Chase Ritz Carlton are better in that regard.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

triple sulk posted:

Gross. I know that the airfare gives you more of course but that avios reduction sucks.

For $450 a year the Prestige seems better overall than the AAE, but I kept getting mixed signals about how good the ThankYou points are. The airlines that the points transfer to are, at least to me, pretty poor only because I couldn't see myself using more than a couple of them at the moment. Booking hotels seems to require going through a company whose website looks like it's from 2002. The $100 reimbursement for the Global Entry application is cool but a minor factor, so the main thing is the $250 they give you for flight expenses. The Premier has the $95 fee which going past the waived year is much easier to swallow but it doesn't really have any of the Prestige's benefits.
Chase and American Express arguably have some better partners, although Chase doesn't have many. To a certain extent, some airlines and most hotels only partner with one bank, so what matters is who you're interesting in redeeming on.

Anyway, this fun little chart shows all the partners:

With all that said, with the Prestige, you can redeem points at 1.33 cents/pt towards airfare and specifically 1.6 cents/pt towards airfare on AA or US, including codeshares. If you fly either of those airlines or some of their partners, this can be lucrative.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

nickutz posted:

I've experienced the same, SM results in immediate account closure while the phone reps will make an offer for retention.

edit: This weekend I bought my niece a Panera gift card for her birthday, and the grocery store wouldn't let me use a credit card so I had to split up my transaction. I know buying those "reload" cards like moneypak/green dot/vanilla were getting clamped down on due to the manufactured spend issue. But I had never seen gift cards specific to a retailer be restricted to cash/debit only.
How do you SM on Citi's site?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
There's a really good signup bonus for the Platinum card, but if you don't care about those benefits, long-term you're better with the PRG or Everyday Preferred for earning MR points.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Thufir posted:

Is there ever a store like this? I don't think I've seen it anywhere except Costco, and they are switching to Visa-only.
I had some utilities that would only accept MasterCard.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I did a little more research and it actually looks like my Barclay AAdvantage Aviator Red card has no foreign transaction fee. I can't find this on the Barclay website but the AA page showing the card says it so I'll just give them a call later to ask I guess.
Correct. The Barclay Red card does not have a foreign transaction fee.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wasn't planning on keeping both (or one even) of those cards after getting my signup bonuses so is it a no brained to just close the Citi card? If Citi has another offer with a nice sign up bonus, is it possible for me to get that bonus and then get my current credit limit transferred over to the new card (assuming I just hold onto this card before my year is up)?
At the moment, Citi's policy is that if you just opened or cancelled a card, for the next 18 months, any cards of the same kind opened will not receive a signup bonus. However, there are presently four kinds of AA cards, so you cold always go for a Gold card instead.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So I've been traveling for work a fair amount and getting reimbursed for expenses on my credit card. So far this year I'm up to around 40K in miles on my southwest card! The problem is that my employer takes a month to reimburse me and that it dings my credit because my utilization is so high. To that end I'd like to get another airline card, preferably one that offers more international destinations as Southwest only goes to the Caribbean. What card/airline has the best deals out there right now? I could easily hit whatever spending goals they have. I was looking at the British Airways card but I read that they were about to devalue their program massively. Am I better off going with a specific airline? I usually fly Southwest for almost all of my trips so I thought maybe just a generic card would work too.
British Airways devalued their program a while ago; it's not great anymore for long-haul premium cabin redemptions, but it can be a fantastic deal for short or medium haul coach or business class.

I'm going to concur somewhat with earlier posters, but I think your best options are earning a boatload of points are:
- Citi ThankYou Premier ($95 AF). 3x on all travel (including gas), 2x on dining and entertainment.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred ($95 AF). 2x on all travel and dining.
- Amex Premier Rewards Gold ($195 AF, but with $100 airline incidentals). 3x on airfare (4x if you book through them), 2x at restaurants, gas stations, and supermarkets.

All three of these allow you to transfer to select airlines and hotels, but do note that Chase and Amex have better transfer partners than Citi does. The Chase card and Citi card do have better travel insurance, and the Chase card offers primary rental insurance, but that might not be an issue for business travel.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Tyro posted:

As a counterpoint, I was unable to use a chip + sig card in the subway in Belgium and I had to go back to the concierge for change to use the machine.
We had similar problems at the Subway and the Arlanda Express in Sweden.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Strangelet Wave posted:

If I use a credit card long-term exclusively for purchases in the bonus categories (groceries on the Amex Blue Cash, quarterly categories on the Chase Freedom, etc.), might the credit card company revoke the card? I can't imagine this behavior is lucrative for the card issuer.
Those categories are capped. As long as you're doing legit purchases, I wouldn't worry.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Hadlock posted:

Looking for a no annual fee card with some sort of reward, preferably airline miles. Maybe American, maybe United? I expect to take several long distance flights, probably international out of there over the next 18 months. I don't drive (gas) and I don't spend much on groceries.
Amex Everyday? Doesn't transfer to American or United though, but it does to some of their partners (and Delta).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Tewdrig posted:

How was your experience with the process? I've stuck with Amex because of their purchase protections, as well as Amex offers, but I have a double cash and AA card with citi. Just assumed the details of getting money from them was maddening.
I've made two claims over with Citi over the years (travel insurance and purchase protection), and both were paid out without much fuss.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

dexter6 posted:

I have the Starwood AmEx card, so I like getting the 2 stay / 5 night credit every year. But I'm thinking about canceling or downgrading it (not sure the $95 fee is worth it).

What happens to that credit that is already showing up in my account - does it go away, or have I already gotten it for 2016 now?
They stayed for me when I canceled mine.

Transflowtron posted:

Bummer. I figured so. Looks like my credit card whoring finally caught up to me. Citi ThankYou Premiere was next up on my list.. how exactly will the devaluation of the AA miles effect the sign-up bonus? If this devaluation occurs in March, I wouldn't be able to use it until after.
ThankYou Points don't actually transfer to AA, they can simply be redeemed for AA flights at a high value if you hold a Prestige card. So not at all, basically.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Barry posted:

Eh, I'm not ready to put the nail in the coffin yet. We're probably at least 6 months left until the merger goes through, and then probably at least another 3-6 until the rewards program changes. I kind of doubt it, but it's possible AmEx has some version of a Marriott card (ala Hilton with Citi and AmEx) that might be decent.

Mergers never make rewards programs better but I sort of doubt they totally gut SPG.
The 1 point/$ earning on the Chase IHG and Marriott cards kinda blow, although they're useful to hold if you use those chains (or just like a free room every year).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Barry posted:

Yeah, that will absolutely be the worst part - the earning rate on Marriott CC's is garbage. SPG is my non-category daily driver. I'll really miss those 4k-7k redemptions.
Aside from SPG (and maybe Hyatt?), hotel points aren't worth a whole lot, although at least Hilton gives you a minimum 2 or 3 points per dollar on CC spend, and more on a variety of bonus categories. I wish Chase did the same.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Blinkman987 posted:

IMO, Hilton only works if you're staying there and spending on a Hilton card to get the 10/$1 rate. Hilton redemption practically starts at 20k from my experience. 30k if you want to stay in a midrange major city and not at some shabby Hampton Inn in the middle of nowhere. The Reserve card does give you a free night upon paying the fee for the year but only if you've spent $20k on the card for the year.
If we compare the Hilton and Marriott charts, it seems like Hilton redemptions are about 2x Marriott in general; TPG estimates Hilton points at about 0.5 cents each and Marriott at about 0.7.

Now if we compare earn, the annual fee Hilton cards 3x the number of points on general spend, 2.5-3x on bonus categories, and 2-2.4x on their hotel spend.

My points is that the Hilton card might be comparatively more beneficial for general spend, although frankly, I wouldn't put spend on either.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

EugeneJ posted:

Is there a time limit to claim cash-back rewards on cards? I have a couple hundred dollars in rewards sitting on my Citi Double card and my Chase Freedom card. I like that I'm above the minimum required on both cards to redeem cash-back and that I can take the money at any time - is leaving it there as rainy day money a terrible idea?
Can't speak for Double Cash, but (unless they change the T&C) I believe the Freedom points only expire when the card is closed.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Does anyone know how often, if at all, you can re-apply at Chase for a rewards card? I'm planning to move my limit for my Slate over to my Amazon rewards card and close the Slate as it's paid off, just curious if in doing so I'll be able to apply for another one down the line.
In terms of the signup bonus, you are generally limited to once every 2 years. For some of the UR cards, they will deny your application if you've had more than 5 new accounts opened in the last two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Busy Bee posted:

Currently have CSP / United Mileage Plus / Chase Freedom - Are there any other CC's out there which I can receive signup bonus points + accrue additional points to add to my United mileage account? I know SPG AX has but you lose half after transferring to United.

I've been looking at the Chase Ink Business CC and I remember applying for it but they wanted my business tax information so unfortunately I was unable to get it.
If you have the CSP, you can transfer points from the Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, or Ink card.

Also, 70,000 Marriott points transfers to something like 30,000 United points, so that's always an option.