Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Do other people like plan out a credit card for different things?

I went through kind of the 5% categories and stuff and ended up with a spreadsheet saying charge this here and this here to maximize rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Virtue posted:

I think each individual has a certain tolerance for this. Personally I only carry 2 cards at any given time which is usually a daily driver and a 5% card for something specific.

My thought was more like recurring bills and getting those maximized and mostly just getting a good 2.5% cashback card for everything else, not literally having like 10 cards in my wallet.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Just went into branch and got the checking account to get the 225 bonus then got a chase sapphire proffered with 80k points for 4K spend and waived first year fee

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Got my Avocado Toast gift card for signing up for an Alliant CU checking account so I can get their 2.5% cashback visa, very happy with it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Smythe posted:

i spend like $25/wk on groceries lol. tops.

A study on the AMI of the various subforums of SA would be interesting to see.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

A fully bonused credit card selection is something like:

Get 2 Citi custom cash cards for 5% on 2 categories each month by applying for a different card first, like the double cash, getting that, then getting the citi custom cash, then product changing your double cash to custom.
Then get the citi rewards card so you get a bonus 10% to your thank you points whenever you redeem them (you can let the points stack up until you get the rewards card).

Get an Amazon visa for amazon shopping for 5% cashback at Amazon.

If gas is not one of your top categories you want a card that gets 4-5% on gas, for me that's just my costco visa, which the added convenience of just handing them the card as both id and card, and there's a costco on my way home from work, works out pretty well.

Then get a generic 2%+ cashback card, like the alliant CU visa (2.5%) or the Fidelity 2%. Both of these involve some hoops.

If you want travel cards it's generally either churn or loyalty. If you use the same airline a lot or else stay at the same hotel chain, then a co-branded card can make sense. If you don't it's best to churn your card once a year at least to get a sign-up bonus offer, since the miles or points you get from that are generally way more than the % return on spending any of the travel cards give.

Finally - do you frequent airports where there are lounges you'd want access to, or is there some other feature of credit cards you really care about like extended warranty, extended return period, cell phone insurance or primary rental car insurance.

To really know what cards you might want you should actually do a budget and track your spending for a bit.

Though going for a solid 2% cashback on everything is by far the easiest/safest option. Also if you do like the fidelity one you can then make a rule that your 2% cashback goes savings in the form of index fund purchases, as a way to get yourself to save more.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Upgrade posted:

Is there any card that beats 6% on groceries?

Not without a lot of hoop-jumping, but things like Discover It 1st year 5% matched cashback or keeping a fair amount of money on deposit with BofA there's a way to get pretty high cashback.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Girbot posted:

It's my understanding that you can get at least 2 Custom Cash cards through opening directly and a product change.

And yeah, I just used some figure below the limit and an extreme example above to illustrate the comparison.

The cards used at those spends are beyond my research, but among the common referenced cards (no to low annual fee) I think Custom Cash wins out and will still be primarily used for the core categories because maxing 5% categories has value on its own.

You can get the 5% up to like 5.55% if you also get a citi rewards+ card, and yes you can get 2-3 citi custom cash cards

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 18, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Space Fish posted:

Edit: aaaand I was instantly rejected for a Custom Cash. Is Citi wary of low credit utilization or adhering to their own version of 5/24? Because otherwise, I ought to be as close to a safe bet as an applicant can get.

As this card churning thing gains more notriety and more people do it the banks will adjust their models not just to factor in credit risk but also profitability.

The Custom Cash cards are potential loss leaders, if you pay off every month and only use the card for one category I think they will actually lose money on you, generally speaking. I.e. If you optimize it as a gas card and only buy gas with it and always get 5% cash back on every purchase and always pay it off, that's not profitable for Citi.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

THF13 posted:

Also taking this opportunity to push the Alliant 2.5% Visa. You need to have a checking account with them with 1 monthly deposit (Doesn't have to be direct deposit, transfer from another account counts). The extra .5% is nice but not the biggest deal, but it has no foreign transaction fee and an increasingly hard to find extended warranty feature.

You also need to keep $1,000 on deposit in the account which is probably a good way to make yourself have an emergency fund.

Also they tend to do promos for getting the account in the first place, I got a $200 visa gift card with avocado toast and latte on the front which I like so much I’m having a hard time spending it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Elysium posted:

I got a Chase Preferred for the bonus, hoping it would arrive by today for a large purchase, but it hasn’t come. The card is in my online account with my other cards, can I add it to apple pay or something without having the physical card?

It depends, cards are starting to provision them ahead of time to apple pay and stuff, but you basically have to check if they did it or not. My Sapphire did that but I couldn't really use it for anything.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

The 2% fidelity card's only hoop is that you have to deposit the money into a fidelity account. If you don't have an account with them they have a simple one without trading that's basically a checking account and then you can transfer the cash out of there

You can also use this card as a way to get yourself to save more, by investing the funds into a low expense ratio ETF or index fund.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Smythe posted:

my amex was instantly available for apple pay and poo poo upon approval, which was also instant on the website. pretty cool

Yeah I just got an Amex Hilton card because I have a lot of business travel coming up and so I can easily hit the spend requirement and they gave me the card number and temporary cid and expiration which is pretty nice.

Also, I need to stop looking at these credit card websites and /rchurning, doctorofcredit etc.. stuff because it's making me crazy.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Space Fish posted:

My getting rejected from a Citi Custom was a blessing in disguise - my intent was to use it for cash back on groceries, but the cents per point is much lower than sticking with my Chase Trifecta.

In other words, credit card websites have outlived their usefulness now that my current system is about as optimized as I care to make it. Claiming SUBs was fun for a while, though!

I think I'm going to jump through the hoops for the Alliant 2.5% cashback and then get a fidelity 2%, citi really pisses me off, I want one to use for work stuff and one to use for personal and then just put everything on them.

I had like 4 obviously fraudulent charges and Citi refunded 3 of them and then argued about the 4th, and gave me a very short deadline to print and sign some documents and claimed since the item was delivered to my house they couldn't issue a chargeback, even though it was obviously not sold to me (ebay).

Also, they'd done things like lower my credit limit without telling me and also give me a very low credit limit in general, which I find frustrating.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm in a weird limbo right now where fidelity wanted me to send in more info to verify that i am who i say i am but i was a bit late in sending that info (via fax!) but now i'm trying to figure out if they're even processing it anymore and whether or not i should just reapply for the card or if i should just apply for another 2% CB card... no real question but just wanting to get 2% on my purchases...

You can call them and ask them. Citi double cash is ok and if you get a rewards+ from citi also you can link them and get like 2.2% back

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

Alliant CU's Visa Signature is a similar no-fee 2.5% card if you're willing to open a checking account, keep $1000 in it, receive statements electronically, and make at least one electronic deposit per month.

I am working on that card, but you also need to have kept $1,000 in it for the entire last quarter, and managed the electronic deposit every month of that last quarter.

So if you want 2.5% get 1,000 in the account by the end of June, you can have it in October.

That being said, in general, cashback above 2%, in general, is probably not sustainable. If a card actually gives you above 2% back per purchase they are losing money on every purchase, the X1 card is a "fintech" product. Anyway, the point is with these products, you kind of expect some issues as they are not a traditional bank, and at some point they will almost certainly change the cashback amount, reduce the rewards, etc..

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

MrLogan posted:

You only get 2.5% on the first $10k spend, unfortunately (in addition to the other hoops). I just want something to put $25k-$30k on annually and not have to worry about rotating categories or min/maxing or anything. :(

It’s 10k per billing cycle (month)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

FunOne posted:

BofA will do 2.62% everywhere on their top cards with relationship bonus from parking assets with BofA/ML.

It’s kind of disingenuous to say this and not explain the amount of assets.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Medullah posted:

I need to make a ~2k purchase. I was kicking around the idea of signing up for a new card to get a 12-18 month 0% offer rather than paying cash up front. Any recommendations? I've got Chase Freedom, Citi Double Points, a Discover and the Bank of America MasterCard.

Your best bet is more to find a card with a good sign up bonus, so you'll get maybe 800 if you spend 4k in the first 3 months.

this is a good list: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

My Admirals club membership ran out and I’m debating whether to sign up for the Citi AA Executive card. If I do and they take forever to send it, would I get access to the admirals club before I receive the actual card? Would they be able to look me up in the system to find out I’m a member prior to getting the physical card?

This is very issuer and co-brander specific, you probably want to google around for the information and see what people are saying. I got my priority pass access on my amex hilton before I got the amex hilton, but that doesn't always happen.

If it's a big deal to you and do you do a non-automated application you might bring that up and see if they can expedite, sometimes they will expedite cards.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I'm looking at getting out of Wells Fargo and I have a credit card with them. I've got everything ready for the checking and savings accounts save a meeting with a local banker and actually moving the money to my new bank prior to said meeting. My assumption is that I won't be able to move my Wells Fargo rewards card to another bank, but on the off chance that it is possible, how would a person do such a thing? Alternatively, how much of a pain would it be to keep nothing but the card at Wells, set up a recurring expense on the card, and set up a recurring payment from a separate bank? Would it be worth the trouble or would I be better off closing it and getting a new card? I don't have any major purchases planned soon, nearest thing we're looking at is maybe a car in 1-2 years.

If it's a credit card you can just keep the card and pay it from your new bank account. If it's a debit card then it draws on funds in that bank so you can't really do this.

You can pay a credit card for any bank from any bank. Well maybe there's a bank that somehow won't let you but I am not aware of any credit card that has to be paid from within that bank, and even if there was, you could just keep the wells account open, keep 5$ or some minimum amount in it, then transfer funds to that account each month to pay the credit card.

But just because you can do all this doesn't mean you necessarily should, it's kind of a hassle.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

drhankmccoyphd posted:

What's the best overall cashback % I can get right now for an everyday card? I have Chase Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited. I the better of which is 1.5% on all purchases. I'm just about out of my 1 year of 5% back on groceries which I'd like to get again in some fashion as thats the bulk of my purchases. I also have a Amazon Chase card for 5% on amazon purchases. Not really sure what card I should go for next. My preference is Chase since its nice having my CCs and Checking in one place.

If you want a flat cashback card there are several 2% cards, there are some ways to get them up over 2%, and there's also the alliant 2.5% flat cashback card; the hoop for that one is holding 1k in a checking account with alliant (which is a credit union).

A lot of people go for a Chase Sapphire card next, either preferred or reserve depending on how much you travel and want to use your points for travel.

Chase also has a 5/24 rule, they won't open a card for you if you've opened 5 or more cards in the last 24 months. So if you think you might want another chase card you may want to get that before you go into other banks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

The Citi Custom Cash is probably the best card for getting 5% back on groceries. It's 5% back on the biggest spending category only up to $500 a month though, and lol @ spending less than $500 a month on groceries these days

If you're willing to invest some time and effort I think Citi cards can work really well.

Citi Custom - 5% on your top spend category in a month.
Citi Rewards - 10% bonus on your rewards from other citi cards, also rounds up all purchases to a minimum of 10 points
Citi Double Cash - flat 2% cashback card, you need this to link all your thank you points together and just get cashback for your purchases (via direct deposit) rather than having them pile up and redeem for things
Citi Premier - Currently has an 80,0000 thank you point sub, for 4k of spend (95$ af)

The premier isn't a bad card, like 3x on restaurants and groceries, but basically, you can get it, get the sub, wait a year, then ask to product change it to a custom cash. Make sure you sign up for a regular custom cash first to get the sub. If you do this you can have 2 custom cash cards - 5% each in 2 separate top spend categories, so you can write "groceries" on one and then use the other for whatever you need to spend that month:

5% eligible categories: Restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, select travel, select transit, select streaming services, drugstores, home improvement stores, fitness clubs, live entertainment.

So if you combine this wit the rewards card you end up with 5.5% in your top 2 categories, and a 2.2% flat cashback card and a card that rounds up, so if you use a vending machine or something.

Also I think Citi is going to release a "premium" travel card again, they discontinued the Prestige but they don't offer anything in the $5-600 AF range like the other Sapphire reserve and Amex plat and the capital one venture x (only $395 AF)

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 23, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Speaking of the Citi Custom Cash, does anyone know if Costco falls into one of the categories they'll do 5% back on? I spend a lot of money there but the best card I have for it is the 2.5% Alliant one.

No, Costco is hard to get good cash back at, generally they code as warehouse stores. They only take visa, so you have to look for a visa with high warehouse cash back, the Costco citi visa only gives 2% at Costco. I still just use it though.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I personally stuck with the no fee version of that card that gives 3% on groceries because the last time I looked at how much I spent on groceries it wasn't enough for the extra 1%-3% to cover the 95 bucks.

Yeah, it's like 3200 on groceries, I'm not sure I spend enough to justify that card, Amex keeps asking me (I am single, do things like freshly and costco a lot). For some people I'm sure it's great.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

CubicalSucrose posted:

Schwab plat allows for 1.1 cpp redemptions in cash. Used to be 1.25.

Can you transfer points to this from other Amex cards?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

laxbro posted:

As of a few weeks ago Citi premier gives $800 straight cash for $4000 spend with a $95 fee.

It's also a decent card on groceries, restaurants and most travel @3%, not a 5% but if you don't want to get that granular.

Also you can get it, then when the second AF posts, you ask for a product change to a custom cash, this is a way to get a 2nd custom cash.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

I've only really traveled once since the beginning of the pandemic so this is nice to know if I ever actually get to travel again (for vacation) in the future

Do you know if this applies to their HYSA as well? or it has to be a checking account?

Also dang it I didn't know about this card either. Been using the Fidelity card at 2% :|

You have to keep 1k in checking. You could keep excess funds in the HYSA. The 2.5% card is a bit rare, and I don't think they pay advertisers for referrals so it's hard to find out about on credit card sites and the like, looking for it on say Nerdwallet you have to know it exists and search for it specifically.

They do keep tweaking the card, so the 2.5% may not last forever, but I really like Alliant, they did an Avocado Toast and Latte Debit card promotion and I got a free gift card with a latte and avocado toast on it, which, I really just loved.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

Thanks.
It looks like its 2.5% up to 10K and starting Oct 1st they'll be checking that you have >$1000 every month vs every quarter. Still seems pretty good.

https://ww2.alliantcreditunion.org/visa-signature-rewards

I agree, I am aiming to get one. Though I think I'm going to get an Amex platinum first.

Ive actually switched my banking to Alliant to make it easier to just keep the 1k in checking there, and their HYSA rate tends t obe significantly better than the CU I've been using for some time.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Super-NintendoUser posted:

The best part about this is that large service stations like Sheetz or Wawa have a ton of gift cards, so you can stock up on GCs.

Do gas stations have an online store curious if I can just order some GC from wawa.com or something.

That's funny. Could go buy amazon GCs at the gas station to get 10% instead of 5%.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

With the holidays coming up and some travel being possible again, I'm looking to see what I could be doing better cardwise, so this is a bit of an effortpost.

My daily driver is the Citi Double Cash. Been great for years, no problems, good cash back, but I've had an Alliant checking and savings acct for over a decade. I've been hesitant to switch to the 2.5% Signature because it requires the $1000 average in your checking for that rate, and I'm bad at the math to tell me how good I am at hitting that (I pretty aggressively put money into savings now, so, for example, given when my bills come due, I was under $1000 for 12/30 days in September, but I was well above $1000 for most of those 18). Should I just do it? Is there an easy way to do the math to be sure?

I have a bunch of other cards I don't use very much but try to use often enough to keep them active: the Amex Cash Magnet and BCE and the Capital One Quicksilver are probably the standouts here. No cards with an annual fee. I got burned here, though; two cards closed in the last two years because I forgot to use them and didn't have a recurring expense on them. Suggestions for good set-and-forget for these?

I have nothing that does me any particular good when traveling, and I frankly don't know much about those cards; even when I read about them, the info mushes together in my head. A friend who does know a lot thinks I should just get an Amex Platinum and not be set, but even accounting for the signup bonus, that's a steep as hell AF when I just don't travel that often. We have one trip to Canada planned in the next few months, and we're going to a wedding in NV next year, but nothing solid beyond that. I like Amex, their customer service is wonderful, but that's still a lot of dang loving money on a card that's really only great for travel as far as I can tell, and with points that I don't think transfer to the Amex cards I have. (I considered the Amex Gold for food purposes, but I'm unsure about the fee there, too, and it doesn't really help the travel.)

As far as I can tell, I could just keep doing what I'm doing and be fine, but at this point I'm interested in what I could be doing better. FICO is generally in the 820s and I've opened one card in the past two years, so my options should be open.

Citi premier has an 80k points = 800$ cash back if you hit the spending requirement right now (4,000 on card) and it’s 3x points on travel (air + hotel)

You can link your thank you points to your double cash to get cash back instead of banking points.

1 year from now when the second annual fee posts then call them and product change to custom cash which has no AF.

The Alliant bank account will tell you your avg balance if you look. The card is still 1.5% cash back if you miss the deposit target for a month.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

so i'm about to put some money into allied both to grab the 2.5% card and also put some money into their HYSA... but apparently they were hacked/breached back in august where people's debit cards, something they had never used, suddenly incurred thousands of charges from random sources. and last year apparently they "accidentally" gave some personal info to their partners, didn't report it for 2 months, and then eventually won out in a lawsuit because the judge ruled no one was financially affected by it.

it sounds all pretty routine (unfortunately) but i'm guessing this shouldn't put me off to joining.. or should it?

Honestly, I would assume that Alliant is probably safer now than most CU's or small midsize banks. You're probably safer from hacking at like a big bank, like Chase, where they will just steal from you straight up without any hacking.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Atahualpa posted:

A very belated thanks for this, I ended up picking up a USBank Cash+ for utilities/Internet and a USAA Cashback Rewards Plus for gas in addition to the Custom Cash. Credit scores are down 20-30 points this month, but my utilization is probably also a factor there since I've been using the new cards a lot to hit the sign-up bonuses and am only making the minimum payments while the 0% APR offers are still in effect.

I'm planning a big vacation next year and was thinking of doing just this as a second Custom Cash would round things out nicely for me. For anyone who's done it, how easy is it to do the product change? Any chance of the customer service rep noticing that you already have a Custom Cash card and denying it? (And out of sheer ignorance, do you still end up having to pay the second annual fee for the Premier?)

As far as I know if a rep says that you say you changed your mind and call back until you get a yes. Again afaik right now all cc companies will refund the 2nd year AF if you call to pc or close within the first month after it posts.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Atahualpa posted:

Appreciate it, thanks!

One thing worth noting with CCs if you call up and don't get the answer you want from a CS rep, just try again. If it's important try a couple of times. Lie and say it was promised to you.

People sometimes report weird data points, where they aren't allowed to PC to a credit card lots of other people have pc'ed to or something like that. Rather than assume its a new or changed policy, it's safer to assume the CS rep in question is just new or wrong or having a bad day.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Nur_Neerg posted:

So I'm sitting on the Citi Expedia Gold card, which is going to cease to exist in 5 days and be product changed to a Premier. I'm assuming the conversion means I wouldn't be eligible for a signup bonus? Wondering if this is a scenario where it makes sense to just close the Expedia card so I don't lose the ability to get that signup bonus for two years.

Apply for a custom cash today, to get the sub, then in day or so request a pc for your Expedia to custom cash.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Nur_Neerg posted:

Called in to try to PC the Expedia card a few days ago and was told it wasn't eligible to be changed to anything. Case of HUCA?

I don't know for sure, I'm guessing you were on an AF card. The citi Premier right now has a really 80,000 sub, I think if you let them PC it into a premier you'll lose access to that.

According to doctorofcredit the no fee card is being changed to the city rewards+

I don't know if you want that card, really or if it's an old card or where you are at with all that. I would try a couple HUCA and or ask to transfer to the retention and say you either want to PC to what you want or end the relationship.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

saintonan posted:

Right, but they still give people Tier 1 for the first three months.

Which is kind of dumb, they should give you Tier 2 right away then take it away if yo don't keep up the balance, but oh well.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

smackfu posted:

Is there a particular Amex card that is a good daily driver, ignoring sign up bonuses?

Honestly Amex cards are all about subs and travel. Weird categories, statement credits and offers.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

asur posted:

It's mixed in my opinion. The best is the Blue Business Plus for 2x on the first $50k in spend which ad the name implies is a biz card. The other options are the Everyday which is 1.2x and 2.4 on groceries or the Gold for 4x on restaurants and groceries. I think there's an upgraded everyday too as an option.

Their is an everyday preferred at 95$ af it’s 3x at supermarkets 2x groceries 1x everything else.

What makes it good is Amex will offer you a sub to upgrade your everyday then when the second af posts you downgrade. Then they give you another sub.

But the op said they didn’t want to deal with subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

VorpalBunny posted:

Anyone here have experience with the Verizon credit card? I got an email about it a few days ago, it seems...decent? No annual fee for 4% at grocery stores and gas, 3% on dining, etc.

https://www.verizon.com/solutions-and-services/verizon-visa-card

It’s 4% in like Verizon bucks. But I got one since I’m the payer of a family plan I just pay our phone bill with it.